Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

Personally, I only use post that is scripted. This leaves the door open for animation.

- Greg

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks!  I'm trying to make the postwork a more integral part of my workflow, now that I at least have the basics down in Studio.  One of the reasons I wanted to learn 3d art was to improve my 2d art lol.  Now it seems I am moving to the opposite end of that spectrum, wanting to improve my 3d art with 2d techniques.  I guess whatever works lol.

Whatever works.......smiley

Yes, that's a good motto to have lol!  I've always wondered why some people felt that postwork was not acceptable.  Not judging, just genuinely curious as to why some people feel that way. 

I'm not sure.  

My question is: "Why do they feel a need to judge what is 'acceptable' in the first place?"   If it's judging for a contest/competition, then yeah, you want to have a consistent set of rules.  But if it's just artwork for the sake of art, why do they care?

When I started, I didn't do postwork.  Not because I didn't think it added value; but I was still learning the ins and outs of Daz Studio and hadn't yet delved into postwork.  But I always saw the benefit.  Why would you limit the tools at your disposal?  Professional photographers don't rely solely on what comes out of their cameras.  They use postwork all the time.  Why should digital 3d art be different?

Oh I totally agree and its really funny because that's the main reason I waited to add postwork (I was already pretty comfortable in photoshop - its still a bit of a learning curve combining the two but 2d is way more comfortable for me lol) was that I wanted to learn studio on its own first..  I don't understand the concept of not using all the tools at your disposal to help you reach the goal of your project. 

wgdjohn said:

I must have missed something.  Who is judging any artwork because it has postwork?

To date the only postwork some of my Carrara renders have is for my signature. I even later incorporated my signature within Carrara as a font object.  In any Carrara Challenge that I've been in Postwork is allowed if anyone chooses to use it, many do, and sometimes win.  I don't... why?... reason 1 is that I wish anyone seeing it knows it can be done in Carrara... reason 2 it's a rush for me to get a project done so I've run out of time... I can take quite awhile tweaking it further.  I never vote for any Carrara render with or without postwork.

I do appreciate those who indicate any entry or render if postwork was used however it was created.

That's a different reason for not using postwork and that's totally fine.  I actually think its perfectly fine either way, wether you do or don't, its always up to the individual.  But there are people who say its not proper or it devalues someone's work if they don't do everything with no postwork.  I was just curious as to why that was, I wasn't pointing to any one person or thing specifically but I have run into to several times now and well, I'm a curious person I like to know why lol. I've been told I drove my parents nuts.

edited January 2017

So I wanted to show how easy it is to use the BOSS lights that are coming soon to a DAZ store near you.  All I did with these to was move the lights just a bit so they didn't show in the scene. (they are portrait lights, but I like them enough that I wanted to try them in a couple scenes to see how difficult it would be to change things up a bit. Turns out not so difficult at all lol)  The first one is the light set straight out of the box, no changes except for moving them a tiny bit and adding a green point light to the staff.  The second one is exactly the same except I moved the camera angle slightly and just turned down the intensity  on certain things. I had more trouble with the point light doing what I wanted it to than the rest of the scene combined. (I also fixed the poke through).

Edited to add, this is slated for post work as well but, there will be less postwork to do because the lighting is much better than it would have been if I had set it up on my own.

Pix Ageera Test.png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    Pix Ageera .png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited January 2017

Personally, I only use post that is scripted. This leaves the door open for animation.

- Greg

what does this mean exactly? I don't know anything about animations

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

So I wanted to show how easy it is to use the BOSS lights that are coming soon to a DAZ store near you.  All I did with these to was move the lights just a bit so they didn't show in the scene. (they are portrait lights, but I like them enough that I wanted to try them in a couple scenes to see how difficult it would be to change things up a bit.

Your render look very good as usuall.  I don't understand why the lights are visible in the scene at all. I never had any DS lights that showed in my renders but perhaps I just happened to have them located in just the right positions.  Are BOSS lights different? Are they objects with glow settings?  I know that in Carrara you can create a glow object to emit light and make the object invisible while it's glow emits light.  I'd search for a way to make then invisible in Studio so as not to have to futz with moving them everytime the camera angle is adjusted.

- Greg

I believe by scripted means that the same adjustments are made to each frame of an animation.  This is a lot easier than manually adjusting each frame.  There are programs dedicated to this for animators as well as movie and TV.

Ah thank you for explaining that. 

The BOSS lights are intended to be used as portrait lights, I am just using them way out of the box. I haven't had to move them when i use them in the way they are intended to be used lol.  I could easily just lower the opacity of the light to .000001 and they would disappear but, I was being lazy.

edited January 2017

KIFU BASBAKAN - He is one of the bad guys in my world building project.  I have been having a hard time with the bad guy roster and am relieved that at least one of them finally showed himself lol.  More fun with the BOSS lights as well.

KIFU BASBAKAN PANTASYA.png
    1008 x 1632 - 2M

Good to know. Hmm... I wonder if you can set opacity to 100.000001 and just delete the leading 1 to easily switch it off and on.

edited January 2017

Delphi for V4 with the Fairy Dress, which I converted to Iray and retextured. 

I think that my catalogueing of my characters is going to go much quicker now that I have these lights.  So quick to set things set up. I know I sound like a broken record but I am truly thrilled with how much better my portraits are now.

Delphi V4.png
    988 x 988 - 1M
    wgdjohn said:

Good to know. Hmm... I wonder if you can set opacity to 100.000001 and just delete the leading 1 to easily switch it off and on.

I have no idea.  I suck at lighting lol.

wgdjohn said:

So I wanted to show how easy it is to use the BOSS lights that are coming soon to a DAZ store near you.  All I did with these to was move the lights just a bit so they didn't show in the scene. (they are portrait lights, but I like them enough that I wanted to try them in a couple scenes to see how difficult it would be to change things up a bit.

Your render look very good as usuall.  I don't understand why the lights are visible in the scene at all. I never had any DS lights that showed in my renders but perhaps I just happened to have them located in just the right positions.  Are BOSS lights different? Are they objects with glow settings?  I know that in Carrara you can create a glow object to emit light and make the object invisible while it's glow emits light.  I'd search for a way to make then invisible in Studio so as not to have to futz with moving them everytime the camera angle is adjusted.

- Greg

I believe by scripted means that the same adjustments are made to each frame of an animation.  This is a lot easier than manually adjusting each frame.  There are programs dedicated to this for animators as well as movie and TV.

Yep - I just meant nothing that needs to be manually done by a human. I would add that while the script is identical for each frame, what actually gets done to each frame is context sensitive. Decisions are being made by on what to do, just not by a human.

- Greg

I think that my catalogueing of my characters is going to go much quicker now that I have these lights.  So quick to set things set up. I know I sound like a broken record but I am truly thrilled with how much better my portraits are now.

Lighting in this one looks pretty good to me!

- Greg

• KIFU BASBAKAN - He is one of the bad guys in my world building project.  I have been having a hard time with the bad guy roster and am relieved that at least one of them finally showed himself lol.  More fun with the BOSS lights as well.

This one looks like Alexander without Kimo!  You've gotten some really good results on those BOSS light sets on these renders.  Nicely done. :)

@DarwinsMishaps.  It is Alexander without Kimo lol.  I don't have Kimo but I love the look of him without anyway.  He fits my evil prime minister very well lol.

Lighting in this one looks pretty good to me!

- Greg

Thank you Greg!  Wish I could take the credit lol.  DarwinsMishaps is right, its definately the BOSS light set doing the lighting work.  Its rapidly becoming my go to lights for portraits. 

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited January 2017

Nice renders Ice Dragon. :) I have been spending most of my time in hexagon and Daz learning other stuff no renders perse at this point. lol

Post edited by Liana on

Thank you Liana!  I'm planning on spending some time in the Carrara modelling room this afternoon myself.  I look forward to seeing what you have been up to!

edited January 2017

Thank you Liana!  I'm planning on spending some time in the Carrara modelling room this afternoon myself.  I look forward to seeing what you have been up to!

Thanks! Part of my work and learning has been on the daz cow. My thread here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/141121/daz-cow-thread#latest I changed the name after page 4.

I have Carrara too, but have not cracked it open yet. One day hopefully soon. I know I want to get back into blender and fix my UI and go over a few things there again.

Post edited by Liana on

Yes I have been watching the cow thread with interest.  Your cow is much more realistic lol.

Yes I have been watching the cow thread with interest.  Your cow is much more realistic lol.

Thanks :) The bummer part is not being able to share anything more than how I did the changes. Oh, well glad there is some others interested in the poor thing. lol

I think there is a great deal of interest in many of the animals or at least there would be if they were all updated lol.

edited January 2017

Well, I managed to model 4 walls for a house with windows and doors.  Pretty excited about it lol.  Feeling a little bit more confident and will be continuing to follow some of the tutorials out there so I can get a bit faster and way more proficient.

4 Walls Textured.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K

Great start! :)

edited January 2017
    Liana said:

Thank you! I know its super simple but I am pretty pleased with it.  I am slowly getting more comfortable and am starting to remember the short cut keys for moving around which is really helping

Liana said:

Thank you! I know its super simple but I am pretty pleased with it.  I am slowly getting more comfortable and am starting to remember the short cut keys for moving around which is really helping

A person has to start some where and usually box like things are usually easier to do. :)

• Really nice renders, Sonja.  Between you and Llynara, I'm getting excited about getting these lights when they hit the store.  I plan to get them first day out.  Everything I've seen looks really great.

Liana said:
    Liana said:

A person has to start some where and usually box like things are usually easier to do. :)

Ain't that the truth lol. 

Really nice renders, Sonja.  Between you and Llynara, I'm getting excited about getting these lights when they hit the store.  I plan to get them first day out.  Everything I've seen looks really great.

Thank you!  It really is in large part the lights at least in my case lol. I think you will really like them

edited January 2017

Princess

Princess.png
    988 x 1600 - 1M
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Well, I managed to model 4 walls for a house with windows and doors.  Pretty excited about it lol.  Feeling a little bit more confident and will be continuing to follow some of the tutorials out there so I can get a bit faster and way more proficient.

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing what you model next. :) 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Another render with the BOSS portrait lights.  This is V4 with one of the Daughters of EVE 2 faces and the Pharoah's of the Sun Outfit - the Children of Aten textures.

Not totally sure if this meets the TOU so mods, if you need to take it down that's fine.  Although, technically, she is covered.

That's lovely and haunting. I really like the dramatic lighting.

I think there is a great deal of interest in many of the animals or at least there would be if they were all updated lol.

I've been collecting animals, birds, fish etc.  It's always great to add some life to a picture. What I find odd about a view with sky is the lack of even one bird.  It's also not common to walk down a street or elsewhere and not encounter someone with a cat or dog.

I suspect that they don't get updated since they are not a great source of income for PAs or DAZ. Can't imagine a cat or dog with umpteen pairs of high heels, clothes, earings etc.. get my drift? :)

Liana said:

Thanks! Part of my work and learning has been on the daz cow. My thread here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/141121/daz-cow-thread#latest I changed the name after page 4.

I have Carrara too, but have not cracked it open yet. One day hopefully soon. I know I want to get back into blender and fix my UI and go over a few things there again.

So get crackin. :)  One thing is that is in Carrara you can add Dynamic Hair to that cow or any other object.

This discussion has been closed.