Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2017
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

He's pretty cool, as is.  Doesn't need to be grunged up at all. Actually, he's probably in dire need of his yearly bath...

@dhandle I forgot to mention how much I like your background on this.  Its a really well put together piece and fits the with the soldier and sheild very well.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • The girl is a Gen2F randomizer character.  The male is Cayman (Gen2M)

Knights Pavilion- I also used one of Kindred Arts ghost lights at the entrance to light the girl a bit better.  Worked like a charm. I'm really happy with the lighting in this.

The only issue I have with this one is that the skirt on Cayman follows his leg where its bent up and well, that's not normal lol.  I missed it last night and I'm not sure if I saved before I rendered.  I had to let it render overnight and while I was able to save the finished render, Studio crashed as soon as I did, so I didn't get a chance to save it as a scene in Studio. 

AND I just realized that all the floor covering are under the ground and poking through.  The render screen was pretty dark and it was 1am lol.  If I didn't save it I am going to redo it as I reallly like. 

But there isn't any point in a work in progress thread if I don't show my mistakes as well lol.

What outfit is that?  It looks familiar but I don't see it in my library.  Does it have any bones in the skirt part?  Sometimes, there is a bone to help pose the skirt and you can get it to look like it falls naturally instead of following the leg.  Not sure about that specific outfit, though, since I can't find it.

I will have to look when I get home. I want to say its centurian g2m buuuut I'm not positive.  I noticed it after I rendered it of course and at that point, it was like 1 am.  and I totally have to fix the floor lol.

• I get those, too.  I wish I could be more like you and put up more WIPs that still need work.  I just have this thing in my head that if it isn't the perfect image I see in my head, I don't want to share.  If I shared, then everyone else would realize how much of a dope I am where it comes to some of these things.  I kind of like working out all of the kinks first and then explain how or what I did.  The added benefit of doing that is that it helps me keep things straight in my head.  The old adage that teaching something firmly fixes it into your memory.  But, I wish I could feel comfortable putting out all of my beginnings of an idea before they get to that final stage.  I do like seeing others' works and how they progress from beginning to final image.  I just have a hard time revealing my flaws, I think.  A few things have slipped by but those weren't intentional. :)

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

He's pretty cool, as is.  Doesn't need to be grunged up at all. Actually, he's probably in dire need of his yearly bath...

@dhandle I forgot to mention how much I like your background on this.  Its a really well put together piece and fits the with the soldier and sheild very well.

Thanks, Sonja, but I can't take any credit for it.  This was an on-the-fly render.  I needed some kind of BG to go with Rolf, so I Googled...um...I forget exactly...something like "Fantasy Forest images", and loaded it up as a background image.

I really liked this one too....that's why I picked it!

Hee!  Who says art has to be hard to look good?!

KM it was hard at first for me as well.  But it gets easier the more you do it and I get a lot of great feedback as well.  We are still going to love you even if the render isn't perfect.

dHandle said:
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

Thanks, Sonja, but I can't take any credit for it.  This was an on-the-fly render.  I needed some kind of BG to go with Rolf, so I Googled...um...I forget exactly...something like "Fantasy Forest images", and loaded it up as a background image.

Easy is always good!  Especially when it looks like this lol!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    dHandle said:
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

I LOVE Pixabay!  They have great images and they are royalty free, so you don't have to worry about any copyright issues.

I have uploaded some of my photos, and man are they PICKY!  I've had a couple of mine rejected because they weren't on par with the quality they require (I think the focus was slightly off). 

I get those, too.  I wish I could be more like you and put up more WIPs that still need work.  I just have this thing in my head that if it isn't the perfect image I see in my head, I don't want to share.  If I shared, then everyone else would realize how much of a dope I am where it comes to some of these things.  I kind of like working out all of the kinks first and then explain how or what I did.  The added benefit of doing that is that it helps me keep things straight in my head.  The old adage that teaching something firmly fixes it into your memory.  But, I wish I could feel comfortable putting out all of my beginnings of an idea before they get to that final stage.  I do like seeing others' works and how they progress from beginning to final image.  I just have a hard time revealing my flaws, I think.  A few things have slipped by but those weren't intentional. :)

It really is a good idea to put up the WIP's.  I am guilty of not doing enough of that myself, mostly because I'm too impatient to wait for comments before continuing my work! 

Going to have to check out Pixabay I see....

dracorn said:
    dHandle said:
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

I LOVE Pixabay!  They have great images and they are royalty free, so you don't have to worry about any copyright issues.

Um...who?  Hate to admit it, but I have no idea who that is.

I do know this, though.  If they're rejecting Dracorn's work, they're obviously not very discerning...

I may have to check them out, too. One can never have too many links to royalty free images!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks dracorn... more than Photos... also Illustrations, Vector, and Video.  That's a wide range of uses... DTP, Web Design and more.

Exactly, sounds like an excellent resource.

edited January 2017

Lorris and Dalek out scouting.  Part of my world building project.  Forgot to turn shadows on.  Always happens when I switch to 3delight lol.  Will re render tomorrow its bed time now.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    dHandle said:
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:
    dHandle said:

Rolf is a Viking, right?

Um...who?  Hate to admit it, but I have no idea who that is.

I do know this, though.  If they're rejecting Dracorn's work, they're obviously not very discerning...

I may have to check them out, too. One can never have too many links to royalty free images!

Thanks, dHandle.  But I find that I am rather humbled by the fantastic images on Pixabay.  I'm an amature photographer, and I was putting up my best images - they hold that bar pretty high. 

They are a great resource, wgdjohn - I don't think I have begun to make as much use of them as I could!

Okay this is weird.  I just loaded the newest update to Photoshop and now both my nik filters and my link to filter forge have disappeared.  Anyone else having this issue?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

oh noooooo so not good Sonja not even a little bit. 

Is there anyway you can go back to before you updated?

I re downloaded the Nik collection (its free) and its working fine again, just not sure why an update would remove that.  Now I have to figure out how to link my filter forge back to Photoshop. Its separate but can be linked.

edited January 2017

Queen Nariada and High Queen Amalika gaurded by their lifebonded Dargons.  The old high queen has made it a habit of enjoying at least an hour of the afternoon with her granddaughter who is the current High Queen.  Knowing that her time was swiftly coming to an end, knowing that the evil that she had fought so hard to hold at bay was beginning to awaken as her time for the long journey drew closer, she used her time with Amalikat to try and give her as much of her knowledge of war and strategy, and of the character of the evil she would be facing that she could. Amalikat had spent many years at her side while she ruled, learning to govern, she knew she would be a good and fair ruler. But she had never faced evil, had never gone to war and she was afraid, afraid that it wouldn't be enough.

The Old and New Queen.jpg
    779 x 825 - 760K
    edited January 2017

Here is a portrait of one of my characters - Queen Naraida.  Working on trying to get my characters done and saved as presets.  100 bucks says I forgot to save her as a preset lol. 

The first one is the finished postwork one

This one is about three quarters of the way done postworked.

This one is the orginal render

Queen Naraida 2.jpg
    1264 x 2045 - 2M
    Queen Naraida.jpg
    1264 x 2045 - 2M
    Queen Naraida.png
    1264 x 2045 - 4M
    edited January 2017

Alanna for V4.  I may have done her before, but was too lazy last night to scroll through all the pages and look.

I noticed this morning that her arm is clipping into itself at the ben of the elbow.  I'm not going to fix it on this one as I want to keep it as a reminder to watch for this kind of thing.  Wondering if this is a thing with V4?  Will keep an eye out in future experimentations. 

Also finally decided to try out the background tab.  No idea why I haven't tried that before, I have a ton of 2d backgrounds.  This is going to make things a bit easier lol.

Also used the new ghost lights on this, wow what a difference even one of these makes and so simple to use.  I have on above her head and to (my) right tilted slightly in her direction set to candle light. 

Forgot to add this is Jan19's Glimmer dress.

Alanna for v4.png
    1264 x 2045 - 5M
  • Sonja, I love what you did with Queen Naraida's eyebrows!  That looks great.  Very unique and just goes with the character.  :)

I love Alaina's portrait, too.  Very nice job!

Thanks!  Those eyebrows are totally painted on lol.  I realized halfway through the render I should probably try out some of my brow products but by that time I was halfway through lol.

• I haven't gotten into trying to paint yet.  It's on the list of skills I'd like to learn, though.  You did a nice job with it though.

Thanks.  Its just...practice.  And doing it layers from dark colors to light.  I usually do a layer for each item although will combine like hair and eyebrows, mustache, beard etc.  Or eyes and lips. I now you know to layer but for anyone else reading. do as many layers as you can.  It will save a ton of time when you invariably mess up just enough that its not fixable.

edited January 2017

This is a postworked version of a quickie piece I did earlier to test out the wings and character.

This is the orginal version

Despair.png
    1820 x 1148 - 2M
    Captured.png
    2650 x 1128 - 3M

Ugh I still can't figure out how to get filter forge back into Photoshop cc.  Anyone have any ideas?

edited January 2017

HI Sonja,

I had the same problem, and here's what worked for me.  I looked in my Photoshop CC 2015.5  folder on my main hard drive.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015>Plug-ins>filters>Filter Forge 5

I just copied the entire Filter Forge 5 folder (ctrl c on a Windows PC) or you can right click and pick "copy"

I then went looking for Photoshop CC 2017 and pasted the entire folder in the same place.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015>Plug-ins>filters> [paste it here]

Then I launched Photoshop CC 2017 and there it was!

Hope this helps.

Post edited by dHandle on

Great than you I will give that a try!

dHandle said:

HI Sonja,

I had the same problem, and here's what worked for me.  I looked in my Photoshop CC 2015.5  folder on my main hard drive.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015>Plug-ins>filters>Filter Forge 5

I just copied the entire Filter Forge 5 folder (ctrl c on a Windows PC) or you can right click and pick "copy"

I then went looking for Photoshop CC 2017 and pasted the entire folder in the same place.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015>Plug-ins>filters> [paste it here]

Then I launched Photoshop CC 2017 and there it was!

Hope this helps.

Worked like a charm thank you so much!

• Glad you got that figured out.  That is one thing that is done completely differently with Gimp.  So much more complicated, probably because you are making something work with it that wasn't made to work with it.  When it comes to those type of plugins, Photoshop is definitely easier.

This discussion has been closed.