Darwins' Schtuff

Comments

• Took me a couple of years of doing it on my own and learning along the way-but you may be a quicker learner than me!  Good luck, and if you get stuck you can always PM me here or email me.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

That would be great thanks so much Darwin!!!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Thank you so much for the skin creation tutorial! I've been having issues learning how to do that - I think that your tutorial is going to be a big help! Thank you!

I know you mentioned Blacksmith for the seams. How do you make the seams match with just Photoshop? Is that possible? I don't have the other programs. Or is there a free program that can make the seams match?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I'm loving these renders and characters!!!! 

• vwrangler said:

Oh-no, no hiring models.  I can't afford that.  This skin I'm using came from Rendo a long time ago and isn't available any more and isn't the best to use...which may have me go back to mixing MR skins to make my own version.  Usually people use 3d.sk for Human Resource Skin photos-I plan to do a month memebership and see what I can find.  (You pay for the membership to get credits and then pay per photo) You can also find some at Rendo, but from what I've seen, most resources (not all) have a lot of shadow/lighting issues.  It'd be cheaper, definitely.

For what it's worth, the sets by Levius at Renderosity actually ARE repackaged 3d.sk items. I can't speak to the quality of them -- I've never tried one -- or if they're the full 3d.sk sets of the people photographed or anything like that. (Also, for the male reference photos, the word "nude" should frequently be taken to mean "wearing swimsuit or jockeys".) I also strongly hope that levius is the person running 3d.sk or some such, because otherwise, I can't imagine that the 3d.sk EULA allows that sort of repackaging.

That said, it also means that those reference photos from 3d.sk will have the same shadow and lighting issues.

Well, on the Ed.sk UELA question-I contacted them.  Here is the response: thank you for your email. It is our account and we are reseling our references through Renderosity as well. Peter Levius is owner of our websites. It is OK.

Don't hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Best regards,

Tomas Babinec
    project manager

So-no EULA issue and if you don't want to pay month to month, or one of the other options at least you can buy outright from Rendo.  They're packs that they posted are generally cheaper than the monthly payment and they do provide quite a few snapshots in each.

As for seam fixing without Blacksmith...I think Blender with it's projection mapping is about the best you'll get if you want free.  I know at least one PA that fixes seams with it. I barely used Blender and really can't navigate through it much.  Before I had Blacksmith, I tried to use the blur (very, very, very lightly), and copy bits from the face area around the seam to the body area and clone from there on the maps.  Didn't always work, which was why I didn't use a skin if it had massive issues on the MR when I started (I got Blacksmith after Talon's release).

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Wow, Darwin. Amazing info. Thank you for sharing. There's so much that goes into character making that I don't have a clue on. It truly is an art. Incredible amount of skill involved. Great to watch you work!

Post edited by Llynara on
    vwrangler said:

Oh-no, no hiring models.  I can't afford that.  This skin I'm using came from Rendo a long time ago and isn't available any more and isn't the best to use...which may have me go back to mixing MR skins to make my own version.  Usually people use 3d.sk for Human Resource Skin photos-I plan to do a month memebership and see what I can find.  (You pay for the membership to get credits and then pay per photo) You can also find some at Rendo, but from what I've seen, most resources (not all) have a lot of shadow/lighting issues.  It'd be cheaper, definitely.

For what it's worth, the sets by Levius at Renderosity actually ARE repackaged 3d.sk items. I can't speak to the quality of them -- I've never tried one -- or if they're the full 3d.sk sets of the people photographed or anything like that. (Also, for the male reference photos, the word "nude" should frequently be taken to mean "wearing swimsuit or jockeys".) I also strongly hope that levius is the person running 3d.sk or some such, because otherwise, I can't imagine that the 3d.sk EULA allows that sort of repackaging.

That said, it also means that those reference photos from 3d.sk will have the same shadow and lighting issues.

As for seam fixing without Blacksmith...I think Blender with it's projection mapping is about the best you'll get if you want free.  I know at least one PA that fixes seams with it. I barely used Blender and really can't navigate through it much.  Before I had Blacksmith, I tried to use the blur (very, very, very lightly), and copy bits from the face area around the seam to the body area and clone from there on the maps.  Didn't always work, which was why I didn't use a skin if it had massive issues on the MR when I started (I got Blacksmith after Talon's release).

Thank you! I really appreciate all your advice and help and your tutorials. You're awesome! heart

Llynara said:

Wow, Darwin. Amazing info. Thank you for sharing. There's so much that goes into character making that I don't have a clue on. It truly is an art. Incredible amount of skill involved. Great to watch you work!

I agree, it gives me even more respect for the PAs, because now you can see how much work goes into it.

• This is but one of many ways of doing this process-I'm still learning myself! ;)  Thank you.

I am so glad that you are teaching me some of the basics Darwin.

I really do thank you for taking time out of your majorl busyness to do this for us.

• You're very welcome!

I did some playing.

Damen, William and Scion as toons. ;)

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Ha ha! You beat me to it, and have crossed over to the Toon Side! (We have cookies here too!) They look great as toons!

• lol- it was amusing to me! 

ROFL! I LOVE the toons - those are fantastic! I can totally see those guys in a movie. HAHAH Awesome! 

Loving the toons Darwin they all cracked me up!!!!

• I love those toons, too!  Great images.  I especially like Damen!  Very nice!

• Thanks, everyone!  It was fun to do.  :)

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited February 2017

Sorry I haven't been around much- not much to show except for a quick portrait of Mari that I did.  Working on Evan last night didn't go so well.  Was feeling ill. Hopefully, I can get more done tonight after work. 

So...  My simple portrait of Mari with new schtuff purchased in the past few weeks.

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on

Sorry I haven't been around much- not much to show except for a quick portrait of Mari that I did.  Working on Evan last night didn't go so well.  Was feeling ill. Hopefully, I can get more done tonight after work. 

So...  My simple portrait of Mari with new schtuff purchased in the past few weeks.

Wow, she's gorgeous! What character is that? I did a search for "Mari" and it only comes up with some jewelry. 

• Thank you. It's Mariposa for Genevieve 7 that is hopefully going to be released soon in my store. :)

Thank you. It's Mariposa for Genevieve 7 that is hopefully going to be released soon in my store. :)

Oh man, she looks great! It's a bummer she's for Genevieve 7, since I don't have her. But the texture looks really nice so I might have to get her anyway. :)

• Ah, but see- you can use her without Genevieve 7 as well. Here she is without Genevieve 7's morphs dialed in:

Ah, but see- you can use her without Genevieve 7 as well. Here she is without Genevieve 7's morphs dialed in:

Whoa! She looks SO GOOD! I kind of like her better w/o the Genevieve morph. lol That's just my opinion of course. She has such beautiful high cheekbones and face shape. And those eyes - WOW! I'm definitely looking forward to her release! :)

• Thank you!  I rather like her morphs as well- I re-did them about four times before I got the right look I wanted. XD

Thank you!  I rather like her morphs as well- I re-did them about four times before I got the right look I wanted. XD

Looks like the hard work was worth it - she's really beautiful! 

• Ohhh she's beautiful.

I've been watching the store for her in anticipation of her release . I hope she gets released soon.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Ya she is gorgeous with just the base.  I don't have Genevive either but she's beautiful without her.

•  I love the looks of Mari!  She looks good both with Genevieve 7 and without.  I don't have Genevieve 7 either so it's nice to see an image of what she looks like without her!  She's beautiful!

edited February 2017

I love the looks of Mari!  She looks good both with Genevieve 7 and without.  I don't have Genevieve 7 either so it's nice to see an image of what she looks like without her!  She's beautiful!

Yeah, I think he should definitely include in the promo images a render or two of her without the Genevieve 7 morph. I think a lot of people don't have Genevieve 7, so I think it will help some people decide to get her even though they don't have Genevieve. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
This discussion has been closed.