Iray Ghost Light render and support thread (Commercial)

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217

@RGcincy - Awesome work Rich! To say it's not even the iray conversion, it came out pretty great. i probably would have covered every window individually, but getting these kind of results with two lights has definitely made me question my methods. I'll probably just use big ambient fill lights before trying anything else from now on. Cheers Rich!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Just a quick note! Novica has been kind enough to share her wonderful light-rig. You can read stop by her thread on the subject here. Also, i'm sure many of you know already, but you can also find by her product review thread here. She's put forth a huge effort to not only setup the set, but also pack everything up neatly, and i can't thank her enough for doing so. smiley

And thanks for the dropbox link so folks can download the "BOO" files! 

edited January 2017

I love seeing what is being done with the architecture/rooms. These lights render very quickly and are easy to manipulate.  I haven't combined them with other lights yet but those results should be really good!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Here's a "BOO" with simply adding a couple other ghost lights and changing the ISO. The BOO presets get you up and runnning fast. The lights, btw, were organized around a 15 x 15 plane to simulate a room, so the setup works with a few fast tweaks (move the squares to where your windows are.)  

BooGirl100.26.png
    798 x 475 - 645K
    BooGirl100.26 LONG.png
    798 x 400 - 507K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@L'Adair - Great info! Thank you. I've never really understood the up side of the architectural sampler. It's supposed to ease path-tracing calculations on naturally lit interiors, but it's never quite done that for me. Apparently they are reliant on a lot of caveats though, so it's no surprise. Richard H said that spectral rendering is a bit heavy on render times, but 20+ minutes for an enclosed scene isn't to shabby, unless you're running stacked high-end cards. Perhaps once again there are caveats to spectral rendering and render performance. I'll have to do some tinkering on my end to get a better picture. Anyway, thanks again, great detective work. :)

I should have mentioned, I have one GTX-1080. It also runs my monitor.

• ShawnBoothShawnBooth Posts: 465
    edited January 2017
    RGcincy said:

Finally had some time to try out another product: The Library which also has a follow-on set The Library Iray Addon. This  test is with the original 3DL set which is less memory intensive even with the Iray Uber Base applied and so fits in my 2GB GPU . I'll try out the Iray Addon later. 

This first render is without any ghost lights. The only light is provided by the Iray dome through the upper windows. I let it go to 48% convergence which took 1 hr 5 min. As you can see, it's a quite dark interior with most details hard to discern, even though the windows imply a bright sunny day outside.

I added two ghost lights, scaled to fit the length of the hall. In height they start above the table and end below the ceiling. Since they've been scaled up (250% overall, 900% on x-axis), they need a low light value so I used 25 kcd/m^2. I also made the lights 2-sided so they would illuminate both sides of the hall. I started with only one light at 50K which worked other than you end up with an obvious narrow shadow on the ceiling and floor directly above the single light. With two lights spread out in the room, at half the luminance value, I got the same amount of lighting without the shadow. The Iray dome is still providing the same amount of light through the window as in the first render.

This image shows the finished render. To get to 100% it took 1 hr 43 min. It was at 95% convergence in 1 hr 18 min and the extra 24 minutes to 100% had only a small effect (mostly around the windows). It reached 50% convergence in 23 min, so much faster than the dark image with only dome lighting. I would say this is now a fairly evenly-lit room but still has shadows along the walls and under the furniture. 

So you can see how the lights were place, here is a screen capture of the lights with the ghost light's checkerboard pattern turned on:

Just my thoughts on lighting here...

I would offer the suggestion of: uniformly scaling your lights, placing them outside the walls/windows, raising the ghost lights to coincide with the windows (perhaps even angle down towards the floor), and maybe only use 1 ghost light.

See how that works for you (should be more realistic and the end result shouldn't look as artificial).

EDIT: you currently have 2 GL. They're on opposite walls... The sun can only be on one side lol.

Post edited by ShawnBooth on
  • I love this product.

However, I kinda look at it (thought this was the purpose of it) and use it as a fill light only. I do a lot of "dark"/24-40+ hour renders. This speeds things up a bit when I add it to the scene but I only use it to fill.

I love this product.

However, I kinda look at it (thought this was the purpose of it) and use it as a fill light only. I do a lot of "dark"/24-40+ hour renders. This speeds things up a bit when I add it to the scene but I only use it to fill.

Just my observation on your comment to Rich - Looking at the setup image and reading the description, it looks like he's trying to replicate bounce light with the second GLK, but i don't want to put words in his mouth. Rich is pretty active on here, i'm sure he'll clear up his thought process.  

As for the second comment, i completely agree ... well, thats how i use them anyway. Much to my surprise, people have been using them in all sorts of scenarios, Novica even did a character rig for them. I simply use them to boost natural emission though. I like to aim for a similar effect to simply cranking up the ISO, but with better render times and noise reduction. That's my take, but everyone's needs are different, so i'm happy to leave the interpretation up to the end-user.

• nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931

Hi Guys can you help . I don't know how to use this product. There's ino instructions and i can't figure it out. I put a IGLK Vertical chost Light.  Then i press APPLY BEFORE PRESETS button.  Then i select an intensity preset. nothing really good happens. Am i supposedd to change something in the iray Render settings?

Here's my dull attemp. There's a  Vertical ghost light on the right wall.

GhostLightWhat.jpg
    640 x 480 - 184K
    nokoteb99 said:

Hi Guys can you help . I don't know how to use this product. There's ino instructions and i can't figure it out. I put a IGLK Vertical chost Light.  Then i press APPLY BEFORE PRESETS button.  Then i select an intensity preset. nothing really good happens. Am i supposedd to change something in the iray Render settings?

It really depends on what result you're expecting. Are you trying to mimic daylight coming through that window, or mimic the artificial light in the room? I think you're trying to do the latter - If so, i'd place a horizontal ghost light, scale it up to the area of your ceiling lights, and apply your presets. This way, your emissive lights in the scene will create specular reflections, and the low intensity ghost light will help converge and fill the scene. The reason your scene looks artificial, is because you're trying to cast light from an area that doesn't have any. You seem to be using quite a high intensity too, which is blowing out all the other lights. Remember, even if you are using a low intensity preset, it can still be quite strong if the light is scaled up enough. 

Again, let me know what effect you're trying to achieve, and i'll guide you through it. smiley

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    nokoteb99 said:

For you you should use a ghostly light in the same position as every emissive light in that bedroom and being such a small room and what seems to be a lot of can lights in the ceiling plus two nightstand lamps I would make the ghostlights for the lamps at 2700K or 5000K and 100W and the ceiling can lights at 2700K or 5000K and 40W or 60W.

nokoteb99 said:

It really depends on what result you're expecting. Are you trying to mimic daylight coming through that window, or mimic the artificial light in the room? I think you're trying to do the latter - If so, i'd place a horizontal ghost light, scale it up to the area of your ceiling lights, and apply your presets. This way, your emissive lights in the scene will create specular reflections, and the low intensity ghost light will help converge and fill the scene. The reason your scene looks artificial, is because you're trying to cast light from an area that doesn't have any. You seem to be using quite a high intensity too, which is blowing out all the other lights. Remember, even if you are using a low intensity preset, it can still be quite strong if the light is scaled up enough. 

Again, let me know what effect you're trying to achieve, and i'll guide you through it. smiley

Yeah i'm trying to achieve either(Artificial light in the room,or light coming through window( ambient).  And i chose the lowest preset light ( 50k). THere are no other lights in the scene except that ghost light. I rendered with the ghost light and without it, and the final render looks the same.   I have my Render settings for iray set at "Scene only" mode.

nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:

Yeah i'm trying to achieve either(Artificial light in the room,or light coming through window( ambient).  And i chose the lowest preset light ( 50k). THere are no other lights in the scene except that ghost light. I rendered with the ghost light and without it, and the final render looks the same.   I have my Render settings for iray set at "Scene only" mode.

Ooohhh i think i can see the problem, well part of it at least. I'm pretty sure you have the camera headlamp turned on. Go to your render settings tab, General, scroll down to "auto headlamp" and change it to "never". If you're using a camera rather than the perspective view - select your camera, go to the "parameters" tab, find the "headlamp" section and switch from auto to "off". If you dont have the tabs i just listed, go to window (at the top), panes, and select them from that menu.

I think because you have no photometrics in your scene, the headlamp is kicking in and blowing out your scene. Could you try the above and let me know if anything changes?

nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:

Ooohhh i think i can see the problem, well part of it at least. I'm pretty sure you have the camera headlamp turned on. Go to your render settings tab, General, scroll down to "auto headlamp" and change it to "never". If you're using a camera rather than the perspective view - select your camera, go to the "parameters" tab, find the "headlamp" section and switch from auto to "off". If you dont have the tabs i just listed, go to window (at the top), panes, and select them from that menu.

I think because you have no photometrics in your scene, the headlamp is kicking in and blowing out your scene. Could you try the above and let me know if anything changes?

Thanks!!! It worked. Look at this picture now

GhostLightNoAutoHeadlamps.jpg
    640 x 480 - 142K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

It's always something stupid. ;)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited January 2017
    nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:

Ah, that looks good & natural now. Those autoheadlamps are the 1st thing I turned off and left off on DAZ Studio.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:
    nokoteb99 said:

Awesome! no problem buddy. Just drop a post if you need any more help.

It's always something stupid. ;)

I did the exact same thing when iray first dropped, we all start somewhere :)

By the way, is Ghost light kit good for lighting people. Does it create cast shadows?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Ghost light is basically a glowing but nearly invisible thing. It's 'physically realistic' assuming you were capable of creating nearly invisible lights. ;)

So it does cast shadows. If you scaled the light very small, it would cast very clear shadows. But most of them are big, so they cast very diffuse shadows

nokoteb99 said:

By the way, is Ghost light kit good for lighting people. Does it create cast shadows?

Yes, they are essentially mesh lights, so they will create soft shadows. If you're looking for a pre-made set of character lights using the Ghost light kit, Novica was kind enough to share hers for free, here.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2017

Ok - My PC arrived so I have started to play with all my new purchases. Just for a non-scientific test, I loaded G3F with Cailin skin and rendered with default scene settings - no added lights, no hair, no clothing just a character. I have a GTX970 plus a brand new 1070 (sold a kidney to get that ;) and this default render completed to 100% in 1m 21 secs.

I should add that I'm running the new release of DAZ Studio to support the 1070.

Next I added Painters lights (an environment and a portrait light) and hit render: 1m 22 secs.

Then I added a single horizontal Ghost Light angled above and to the right. So now I have character plus Painters Lights plus a Ghost Light. Render time: 0m 37 secs. Almost a minute less! I hope that is repeated in all my scenes - I'll be a very happy camper.

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:

Ok - My PC arrived so I have started to play with all my new purchases. Just for a non-scientific test, I loaded G3F with Cailin skin and rendered with default scene settings - no added lights, no hair, no clothing just a character. I have a GTX970 plus a brand new 1070 (sold a kidney to get that ;) and this default render completed to 100% in 1m 21 secs.

I should add that I'm running the new release of DAZ Studio to support the 1070.

Next I added Painters lights (an environment and a portrait light) and hit render: 1m 22 secs.

Then I added a single horizontal Ghost Light angled above and to the right. So now I have character plus Painters Lights plus a Ghost Light. Render time: 0m 37 secs. Almost a minute less! I hope that is repeated in all my scenes - I'll be a very happy camper.

Glad you got your rig sorted, i'd be lost without mine. Great results here, they should really make a difference when you're lighting tricky scenes. Good luck and feel free to report back with any findings.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166
    kyoto kid said:

As to film speed, this is why I loved using Kodachorme and Ektachrome 64.  Extremely clean images with a excellent colour saturation. Unfortunately it was a "daylight film" so not very good in low light settings without a flash or other strong lighting.  For night and indoors I'd move to ISO 200 or 400 (the latter for "available light" photography).

I know this is off topic but your comment brought back memories of the 'old days'.  I loved Ektar 25 in 120 (and 220), and shot Ektar 100 on an 8x10 Deardorff for large group shots.   It was slo-o-o-w but the detail was amazing.

Novica said:

I've been up all night so getting off the computer, but played with portraits since a few people were curious. This is using five of the lights. It took the following: (and I'm not technical re: computers, it's an Alienware51 with Core TM i7-5820K CPU @3.30 GHZ  (none of this means anything to me BTW) and I remember the graphics was the 970. My computer is fast so this won't be everyone's results, but the time below was the closeup portrait so the speed with the lights is very good.  

2min 43%
    2:30   68%
    3:00  85%
    3:12  90% iterations 1125
    3:52  96%  1248 iterations
    4:14  97%  1393 iterations
    DONE 4:26 seconds

Please, what figure/character is this?  It's lovely.

Nyghtfall said:

I did some research on how to do interior lighting for architectural photography.  I had no idea there was so much involved.

For large interiors we used to set the camera (always a large format - 4x5 or 8x10) on a tripod, turn off ALL lights, open the shutter and wander around the place with a big flash held behind a black board.  It took several tries over several nights to get it right but it's the only way to get spectacular results without investing in tons of remote flashes.  It's also great fun to stumble around in the dark and fall on your face a few hundred times.

• p-schmidtp-schmidt Posts: 7
    edited January 2017

Please, what figure/character is this?  It's lovely.

It is:

Novica said:

That dress is Romance on Faith and Side Tail Hair.

Wtf is it doing, in a good way, just started to try it out on my own...

I've always been a n00b in lighting and still I am, that is why I looked at Ghost Light but still I was not sure if it can imporove what I might have done wrong lately.

Last month, I upgraded my GTX680 to a GTX970 and as just 1 week had passed I upgraded to a Titan X Maxwell (got one for just 500€).

But still, each and every scene no matter if in or outdoors took awhile and I always felt I've done something horribly wrong with the light.

Even if I got any lights right and the PC rendered through the night, it became a good scene and temperature, still took hours and produced noise. I even followed the good old advice to render with just a few hundret iterations but do it in UHD, afterwards scale the image down to full HD and the noise goes away. Good for animations, but not promos; and still took hours to render.

So I remembered this kind of magic "Ghost Light Kit", which claimed to basically solve this and still I was skeptic. It made me read each and every post in here and wanted to try out lots of it (I have to try that Venice scene someday...).

Kindred had a pic at the first pages which proved that one can use ghost light in pitch black enviroment and still light up the character well, so I thought that would be a good starting point, don't go for the heavy scenes right now...

Tha last 3 hours I used just one V7 based character, applied different clothes and props poses and expressions, I felt like I've spent another whole evening in Daz. But damn, I got half a dozen renders to pick as desktop wallpapers just by point and click. Render, save, change a bit, render, save again faster than the next song playing on youtube...

Well, I have to go for scenes/enviroments with Ghost Light. But let me tell you what impressed me most so far,

I just put a girl in a cube, no specular, no ambient, no occlusion, and thought there would be a nice creepy light shining from the ground if I add one of those ghost lights. And damn did it delivered. Didn't even have to tweak with the presets a lot, but that just all rendered blazing fast like never before.

I've gone UHD, yeah 3840x2160 and set converged to 95% and just 50 samples, right, just 50 iterations that just took freaking 1min 55secs.

Ended up rendering a girl like she is at a fireplace in the wild, wasn't planned, but Ghost Light just enabled me to do stuff with my GTX680 in tha same time my Titan X took to render my foolish lightning skills.

Sorry, didn't wanted to blow the support thread, just wanted to say how much I recommend this so far.

holy fuck just a minute to rendr uhd and damn fhd.png
    1920 x 1080 - 962K
    Post edited by p-schmidt on
  • RGcincy said:

Tried out another set, this time Tithe Barn. It has a interior lit by a lot of tiny windows so tends to being very dark. As the product was setup for 3DL, I removed the existing lights and added the Iray Uber Base to all the materials. I then added 6 lights, 3 in the front room and 3 in the back room. The front room has lights of 700L, 500K, and 400 K. The back room has a 2000K light above the door, a 50K light in the ceiling, and a 200K light to illuminate some small windows on the left. The luminance values were set by doing test renders - ran just long enough to get an idea of how much different areas were being lit then made adjustments. Render time was blazing fast: 100% convergence in 3 min 2 sec for a 1200x1000 render. I tried a few other lights (e.g., Architectural Lighting Rig) which also render fast. What I liked about the ghost lights was how easy it was to set them up to get illumination in a large space.

How did you do the IrayUber base for all the objects?

I found a video, where you hightlight all the objects, and then double click on the !IrayUberlight one..   but I never get those new items added to the properties of the objects.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited January 2017

I found a video, where you hightlight all the objects, and then double click on the !IrayUberlight one..   but I never get those new items added to the properties of the objects.

@pkappetein If you are missing the emission parameters, it's likely because the Emission Color is set to 0. The parameters are hidden until the value is set to something higher.  Just click on the color bar on the emission color control  and pick white (or any color other than black), then the rest of the dials will appear.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincy said:

@pkappetein If you are missing the emission parameters, it's likely because the Emission Color is set to 0. The parameters are hidden until the value is set to something higher.  Just click on the color bar on the emission color control  and pick white (or any color other than black), then the rest of the dials will appear.

Thanks, I will try that asap :)

• hmm. guess I am missing something

I hightlighted all those building, and double clicked on the uber one and nothing happens.

I did find another one that looked like a tea kettle,  (can't seem to find it now)  but that didn't change anything either

No Emisison to find :(

uber.PNG
    1803 x 902 - 2M