Llynara's Loony Bin (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Personally, with the light you want reflecting on the male's face, the fairy should have a pretty intesense glow... and I kind of like it. Most people go for a real soft, woodland glow - and so that is pretty cliched for a fairy picture, right? 

But the idea that they're these beings of huge magical energy, just barely contained in this fragile almost gossammer shell - that is what this image is starting to convey to me. Like, she is burning super brightly internally, and it makes her physical forrm almost tranluscent and transparent. Even the way the light is most intense right behind and below her collarbones. I think it is working pretty well this way.   

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

A couple ideas to speed up renders- downsampling and using the Iray advanced render settings (preset in render settings tab). Are you using those?

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Thanks, all. I think the glow is as good as it gets. I'm using the "test" render settings to see if that helps.

@Marshian - I was using some things in the advanced tab. Not sure on the downsampling (sorry, I'm still fairly new at DAZ and have never done it?) I think I had samples turned way up, as well as filtering details. That looks great in many renders, but may be what was wreaking havoc with the lights. 

This one is rendering much faster and also seems to have more light, even though there's nothing but the BOL. It's the difference in one of the render settings, I can't remember which one, but there's no HDRI or anything else. I'll have to look. Let's see how long this one takes and what it looks like when it's done. Can't wait, because I have tons more ideas for the BOL. Some with superheroes, some with the fire and ice shaders. And maybe I'll tackle that disco skin person someone wanted! I have some pretty cool shaders that might work...

EDIT: Found it. A default Iray sun turned on. I turned it off. I didn't like the shadows on his neck and didn't feel like fiddling with the positioning of the sun, though the additional detail on her looks good. Time for another try, LOL.

BOL change lights28.JPG
    1802 x 945 - 325K
    Post edited by Llynara on
    edited January 2017

Ok, this is finally looking the way I want it! The only light (that I know of!) is from BOL, yet we have enough detail on their faces. And it's not killing me on render times so far. though I noticed even in the test render that it crawls at about 80%. Not sure why, but we're not there yet.

BOL change lights29.JPG
    1850 x 929 - 368K
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Downsampling (also called Manual Oversampling) is rendering the image at twice the pixel dimensions you need (and try cutting the usual time in half) then in a photoediting program you reduce the size down to what you need. This has a way of compressing the Iray grain into tiny specs while sharpening the details- this is the short description. More here: http://buerobewegt.com/quicktip-rendering-even-faster-in-iray/

edited January 2017

Ah, didn't know there was a name for it. I started to do that recently. Seems to make more sense to render bigger than you need, because you can always get smaller. Hard to go larger. Thanks for clarifiying! Nice to know I'm stumbling through this correctly at times. LOL.

edited January 2017

Rough render at 91%, nearly 8 hours to render because it kept dropping to CPU mode. I'm calling it done for now. I will need to make some adjustments before the final. Such as the fairy's butt cheek that's kind of hovering in the air above his hand. Not sure I can fix that with postwork, but it's annoying me. Maybe I've been looking at this picture for too long. I'm happy with how it came out. I'll fix the scratches in post.

Still need to decide on a background too. I don't want anything that detracts from the picture, so it needs to be simple. Happy to hear suggestions. For now, I'll slap the woods behind them again.

Iain and Fairy BOL final draft.png
    1500 x 1200 - 2M
    edited January 2017

Here it is in front of a background, and another with the original postwork, just lowered the opacity on the glow, since I have plenty from the render. I haven't done anything with the scratches yet. Only the ones in her hair are really noticeable.

Iaina and Fairy Final Draft.jpg
    1500 x 1188 - 1M
    Yes we do _nighttime rough draft2.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 1M
  • That's a really good progression on the renders.  The latest version with the postwork is very nice!

• I really like how it's coming along.  The lighting on Lain finally seems to be more natural now that you seem to have most of the light contained to the fairy.  I like it so far.  I have to admit that I didn't notice her floating butt until you mentioned it.  Now, I keep seeing it every time I look at it.  :)

• Looking very good so far!!  Iain's all sorts of surprised. XD Have you tried postworking the lines in her hair at all- or is the render resolution too small?  

Thanks, all! 

Yeah, the butt cheek can't be unseen, LOL. I'll adjust that before the final render. I haven't taken out the scratches yet, but should be quick work with the healing brush. They're much better than they were, but still there.

I'm getting a bit of a "vintage postcard"/nostalgia vibe from this picture, despite it being a punk guy finding a fairy (part of the subtle humor ) Some of that is the lighting and colors. Also, there's a rediscovery of wonder and joy, that there is still magic in the world, still good things to believe in (my original intention here- this is actually a piece about healing and believing, mostly in yourself.) 

I'm going to look at a few of those old postcards and see if they give me any ideas.

edited January 2017

Had to take a break from the fairy to revel in the new Elvis outfit! We finally have one at DAZ! OMG, I am in seventh heaven. Two of my favorite PAs working on something I've wanted for a long time. Does it get any better? Aave and DG did a fabulous job on this jumpsuit. It fits like a dream and the beadwork is amazing (click on the pic below and zoom in for details.) 

I think Iain wears it well, along with the snarl. He should be in the store any day now, keep an eye out for him. He's here! http://www.daz3d.com/iain-for-michael-7

It's a pleasure to put such a well made outfit on a well made 3D model. Oh happy day! I am seriously geeking out here. If I can somehow get the Antebellum Mansion behind him, even better! That thing is HUGE.

Iain_Elvis.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 136K
    edited January 2017

Speaking of huge, here's Iain and George together in the jumpsuit. Twins? You decide! George did steal Iain's skin and eyeliner. His own skin looked weirdly indigo beneath ElianeCK's lights. Like the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka. You could call this picture "Before and After" or "Young and Old Elvis."

Next up on the Elvis slate:

• Toony Elvis
    • G3F in a blinged out jumpsuit (Karma, from the Black Kat series)
    • Alien Elvis
    • Might take a stab at an Elvish Assassin (Ninja Drow Elvis) if no one else posts one. 

Ian-George4.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 881K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Wonderful!  Reminds me of the famous SNL skit with Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze. 

• I love this; when you showed it to me, I cracked up!  Great job!

edited January 2017

I love this; when you showed it to me, I cracked up!  Great job!

I'm still laughing! Glad you all like it. 

G2M in Legends Outfit

So here's an example of a G2M in the Legends Outfit. It took a while to talk my illusionist Hugh into the thing. He's more into Shakespeare than Elvis, but he does love costumes, and he also loves to be on stage. Valzheimer's G3M for G2M clone works very well. I haven't found an outfit it can't autofit to G2M yet. Very handy!

There's a purple light on him, but this is the powder blue version of the jumpsuit. Love the eagles. Looks great, and fits well in all the right places. Go Hugh go!

\

He was happier once I gave him a microphone. Now, we have to find some singing poses! 

And no, he's not old, just old fashioned. He was born with white hair, which marks him. He uses his illusion powers to hide his real looks.

Oh, and no glass mirror floor, because glass floor + bokeh = crazy blinding bokeh explosion! (Don't ask!)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    I've had some problems with converting G3 clothes to G2. Peasant for G3M doesn't drape too well - it's really baggy. Long sleeves like Sorceress wig out on G2. Medieval Princess sleeve morphs don't work either. I've been a little cautious about buying skirts and long draping fabric. No problems with hair, though.

Thanks, dracorn. Haven't tried those yet. The snug fitting stuff (like the supersuits) seems okay. I notice a little bunching in the crotch in the pics above, but it might be able to be smoothed out. Haven't tried yet.

Okay, here are the Elvis twins as toons. I hope Darwin can forgive me! LOL

• I just commented on the Toons thread when I saw this!  I love it.  I'm sure he'll forgive you.  I think he'll love it.  :)

• *cackle!*  Now that is priceless.  Love this-thank you!

• He looks like a Bobble. Seriously.  LOL

edited January 2017

*Phew* Thought you might throttle me for making your hottie into a toon! LOL But he looks great as that too! That's good character design!

• Heck no!  ..........you should do one of each of the ones you have.  Bobble Head Darwins!

I love it! Sounds like it needs its own folder, next to the hotties! Wow, Damen would have some crazy looks with some of that makeup. Grim Reaper toons, Goth toons, you name it!

edited January 2017

Narcissus

So I was looking through some renders and came across this guy I created a few months ago. Hello, handsome! The render needs a lot of work, but he turned out very well. He's a majorly tweaked out Gianni 7. I was trying to create Narcissus, the most beautiful man in the world, who fell in love with his reflection and broke Echo's heart, driving her to her death. The myth is at the center of a book I want to write. The theme is redemption. Is it possible to redeem a narcissist? What would it take? Probably something...supernatural wink

EDIT: Correction, this is a tweaked out Liam with some Gianni mixed in. Or vice versa. I think. I really can't remember what the heck I did, but I accidentally did it right!

Gianni Warrior5.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M
  • He's purty.  

Yeah, I don't have the heart to bobble him. Yet! 

Congratulations on Iain's release! So excited for you. Hope he does very well. It was so much fun to test him. He's really a wonderful character. Looks great in everything I throw at him, no matter how crazy. Even the toons!

edited January 2017

@DarwinsMishap Running out of things to buy in your store. Chop, chop! Need more victims to bobble!

Just teasing. Hope your sales are going well! 

darwinstore.JPG
    607 x 601 - 50K