Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

3.Yes...I am getting older and not being able to make the plugin FULL screen kinda makes me feel even older when I have to put on my "Reading Glasses" on this 19" monitor...Ok just kidding I can read everything but the option to make full screen to take advantage of my 52" Sony would really be nice...

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Back around beta version 3 or 4, I was able to use Garibaldi with Optitex dynamic cloth, but now I no longer can. Nothing shows up in the setup screen.... Any idea why?

edited December 1969

Back around beta version 3 or 4, I was able to use Garibaldi with Optitex dynamic cloth, but now I no longer can. Nothing shows up in the setup screen.... Any idea why?
    I actually have had this problem with POSER products...
    edited December 1969

Can I suggest setting up a beta forum outside of DAZ...?

For ParticleFX DS I did this...

• edited December 1969

Playing around with the latest beta. I haven't had as much time to try things out as I like, but this is my attempt at a mane for the new horse.

gh_mane.jpg
    600 x 600 - 109K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

That looks like a great mane :-)

• edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    That looks like a great mane :-)

Thanks Shaaelia. Not exactly what I wanted but I'm getting there. :-)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Playing around with the latest beta. I haven't had as much time to try things out as I like, but this is my attempt at a mane for the new horse.

Looks like you need more tweaking with the colors/shader than the hair itself...

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2012

I dont know what I'm doing wrong here... I'm getting a little frustrated, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get it to look right...

How is every one getting the hair dark brown/black??? I've been setting the colour to its darkest possible setting yet up and down in saturation yet All I get is either Grey, grey/blond and blond :-S

Ignore the straight face/blank expression and no pose lol, Just trying to get the hair right first :-P (The render is just test renders)

blonde.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 285K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 2012

Gone said:
    Spyro said:
    Playing with beta 10, and I think it is running much smoother :) - I'll post some renders shortly - If I can escape the relatives for a while lol

Question... Is there a way to control the specular and glossiness of the hair? I ask because I'm finding it too high a setting, the hair is a dark brunette, but the spec and gloss is causing alot of white/grey looking hair. I'm using deep shadow lights, and they look great on the character and clothing, but turns the hair very light and low in saturation.

Oh I may have forgotten about the type of lights I'm using... Is "Distant" lights a no-go? I seem to remember something about spot lights :-S

With the hair selected in DS go to the surfaces tab. Among other things, you will find primary and secondary specular where you can adjust the colour.

I've used distant lights in most of the renders I posted so they work fine. I've also used Uberenvironment with the settings cranked up - but be prepared for a loooooong render time depending on what you've done with the hair.

Raytraced shadows also work. In short, you can use any lighting you want - its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on the render and what you want it to look like.

Gee, that sounds pretty much like all rendering. :-)

LMAO! At the time I looked at the surfaces tab and everything was named so different to the usual shaders lol, But I discovered if you open the sub menu it lists the categories haha Thanks man!

I'm no longer sure if the Gloss and Spec is my issue, which I thought at first.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I replaced my Zbrush fur on my New Santa character with Garibaldi Hair .. just a quick test
    render so much faster with Uber

SATNAT-GARIBALDI.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 412K
    edited December 1969

Other than my issue with getting the dark hair colours to work, - I have found a glitch with Garibaldi...

When Garibaldi hair is in the scene, if you try to change UV's, either on a newly added character to the scene, or the character that has the hair applied to, you will get multiple UV's on that character that dont match, and when you try to correct the UV issue, it changes the other UV's on other body parts.

I loaded Justin to the scene, after adding hair to another character, and his V4 Uv's didn't match up, when I tried to correct the UV, it swapped and mixed into different Uv's. I couldn't get Justin to have one single UV on the entire body. I closed the scene and and loaded Justin alone, with no Garibaldi hair in the scene, and he loaded perfectly no problems.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I replaced my Zbrush fur on my New Santa character with Garibaldi Hair .. just a quick test
    render so much faster with Uber

He is wonderful Cath. Like a 1950's Santa.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Cath...you watch Miracle on 34th street, much?

Looks like that Santa.

Looks great with Garibaldi fur.

edited December 1969

Santa looks so cool! The galabaldi really helps bring it out to its fullest well done :)

Also love that horse mane looks great with the subtle curls and clumping.

----------------------------------------

I've attached my settings of my hair, which despite my efforts, I cant get it to go dark brown or even black for that matter. It all looks good in the Gala window, but it wont render dark at all. :(

Hair_colour_settings.jpg
    1553 x 715 - 460K
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

I've attached my settings of my hair, which despite my efforts, I cant get it to go dark brown or even black for that matter. It all looks good in the Gala window, but it wont render dark at all. :(

Try reducing the Secondary specular intensity "TRT Intensity" also the Diffuse intensity "D Intensity".

More details are in this old post, the Garibaldi hair shading model is pretty much the standard for hair these days, but is a little confusing without any documentation as it varies quite a bit from a standard surface shading model:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P120/#151488
    (post 128)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    ...When Garibaldi hair is in the scene, if you try to change UV's, either on a newly added character to the scene, or the character that has the hair applied to, you will get multiple UV's on that character that dont match, and when you try to correct the UV issue, it changes the other UV's on other body parts....

Looks like I'll have to have another look into the my daz mesh analysing code. I changed the code a while back to fix issues people were having with Multiple UV sets, looks like there still some glitches. I imagine the changes might have broken support for the more unusual mesh setups as well.

edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Can I suggest setting up a beta forum outside of DAZ...?
    For ParticleFX DS I did this...

For now I think its best to stick with the daz forum. But there might be a separate forum after the final release, I'm not fully decided on it yet.
    edited December 2012

Spyro said:

Try reducing the Secondary specular intensity "TRT Intensity" also the Diffuse intensity "D Intensity".

More details are in this old post, the Garibaldi hair shading model is pretty much the standard for hair these days, but is a little confusing without any documentation as it varies quite a bit from a standard surface shading model:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P120/#151488
    (post 128)

Thankyou heaps!! I'm mid way through rendering and can see a definite improvement.

I don't suppose there's a way to add the specular / gloss value settings and the Diffuse strength to the Garibaldi window under the Distribute tab below the colour settings. I think that would be a very useful set of sliders and ease of modification.

I was a little baffled as to what to change and whether it should be modified in the surfaces tab in Daz, I'd assume customers might have that same thought lol, before I spoke to you and Gone that is.

But of course if it would be a ridiculous work load to add those sliders and colour selection panels then it wouldn't be necessary to do. :)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    ...When Garibaldi hair is in the scene, if you try to change UV's, either on a newly added character to the scene, or the character that has the hair applied to, you will get multiple UV's on that character that dont match, and when you try to correct the UV issue, it changes the other UV's on other body parts....

Looks like I'll have to have another look into the my daz mesh analysing code. I changed the code a while back to fix issues people were having with Multiple UV sets, looks like there still some glitches. I imagine the changes might have broken support for the more unusual mesh setups as well.

Yeah I was thinking it may have something to do with that feature... I think the fix to paint hair on multiple UV sets is Ideal, and I was one of those beta testers that requested that fix lol It was only by chance that I discovered the glitch when additional characters and texture sets are loaded into the same scene.

edited December 1969

My first Garibaldi hairstyle. After much trial and error, and lots of surfacing dabbling I have a render :)

I modified the secondary specular, a little adjustment on the diffuse strength and assigned a respective colour to both specular channels, eventually everything started to blend the way I wanted. No crashes, and I will say it was to my surprise that the hair actually rendered 2/3 faster than Spartacus short trans-mapped hair (With NO Bump or displacement applied!) 15 mins it took to render.

Now I need to find a way to stop the hair sticking up at the crown (No node is sticking up btw so I cant cut it) And work out how to make his que.

SpyroBloodline_Working_V3GHair_A2-1.png
    925 x 925 - 880K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    My first Garibaldi hairstyle. After much trial and error, and lots of surfacing dabbling I have a render :)

I modified the secondary specular, a little adjustment on the diffuse strength and assigned a respective colour to both specular channels, eventually everything started to blend the way I wanted. No crashes, and I will say it was to my surprise that the hair actually rendered 2/3 faster than Spartacus short trans-mapped hair (With NO Bump or displacement applied!) 15 mins it took to render.

Now I need to find a way to stop the hair sticking up at the crown (No node is sticking up btw so I cant cut it) And work out how to make his que.

very nice

edited December 1969

Thanks Bigh! I just hope I can afford this plug-in once its released, I really want it :)

edited December 2012

Spyro said:

If you reduce the auto parting threshold in the styling workspace I think it will give you the effect you want easiest, a setting no lower than 100 degrees I imagine should work well for you.
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 2012

The hair at the crown adds to the realism imo. I didn't realize the que wasn't part of the style and was wondering how you got Garibaldi to do that.

I've been wondering about mixing Garibaldi with modeled hair for any solid area that isn't individual fibers, i.e. a solid modeled base area covered in 'hair' rather then trying to do the whole style in Garibaldi. Take a Marie-Louise wig for example. It seems it would be much easier to model the base in a solid mesh then 'grow hair' combed flat against the mesh similar to a form used in wig making. Hair on top of the mesh would give the advantage realistic hair, and blended with hair nodes for the hairline or any free flowing hair would make for a quicker workflow with good results it seems.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 2012

Thanks FutureBiscuit! I'll have a play :) I'm really liking this beta!

@Gedd - Yeah, I was thinking I might try adding Garibaldi hair to the surface of the solid plat, just not sure yet my plan of attack. Thing is, I'll need the hair to line up pretty good, and end it at each joint running down it. The end where the hair is loose I'll need to wrap the hair around the models surface... Might be a piece of work, now that I think about it.... I wonder how it would go using a strong gravity setting?

edited December 2012

For a braid, don't think of it as long hair running the length. Do short hair that goes one braid section each and trim/comb the hairs so they fit in. Add a node to the end for the loose hairs. Also, don't make the hairs totally flat, real braids have some loose hairs poking out here and there (like the crown,) except in styles that used some type of 'gel' to keep the hair flat, in which case one might want to adjust the shine.

edited December 2012

Gedd said:
    For a braid, don't think of it as long hair running the length. Do short hair that goes one braid section each and trim/comb the hairs so they fit in. Add a node to the end for the loose hairs. Also, don't make the hairs totally flat, real braids have some loose hairs poking out here and there (like the crown.)

That was what I was trying to say, but you totally said that much more understandably than I did lol. The good thing about doing it the way you explained is that all the bones are there, it's still fully possible and I wont need an excessive amount of hair strands to make it (Only enough to completely cover it) :)

EDIT: Yes of course, there must be some loose strands, realism is what Garibaldi is all about :)

edited December 2012

Yes, I thought of the bones issue and potential reduced hair count also, just forgot to mention those ;)

It should definitely cut down on render time as there should be less calculations using a solid mesh in areas instead of fibers where they won't be seen.

edited December 1969

I'm surprised with how fast the head hair rendered! Thanks for helping me nut out the plan of attack... I'll give it a go!

This discussion has been closed.