IrayTo3Delight conversion script

EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577
edited January 2017 in Freebies

In collaboration with @timmins.william, I am pleased to announce an automated material converter from Iray Uber to 3Delight Basic. It won't eliminate all custom tweaking, but should make the task considerably less painful. Included are the script, an icon, and a tip. They should be named "IrayTo3Delight.dsa", "IrayTo3Delight.png", and "IrayTo3Delight.tip.png" respectively in a directory of your choosing. All the bugs are my own, so don't blame Will, just post them here, and I'll do my best to be responsive. Render on!

Edit: 2017/01/09 Fixed "Metallic Weight" conversion

Post edited by Esemwy on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Thanks, that will be very useful :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I'm incredibly excited about this.

Here's an example of the I13 Steak House, which is Iray only.

Now, I had to fiddle with the glass and lamps, obviously. The windows were easy; I just clicked on them and a glass preset (or I could have made them slightly reflective and lower Opacity).

Lamps... well, those are hard. But those are hard in 3DL generally. I elected to go with meshlights, but then ran into the problem that meshlight light doesn't actually go 'through' lowered opacity. But it worked out reasonably well.

Then added a skydome outside and some lighting.

But nearly all of the other surfaces converted in a few seconds and I didn't have to touch AT ALL.

Adapted Steakhouse.png
    1600 x 864 - 2M
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508

Fantastic! surprisesmiley

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

This will be very helpful, thanks!  :)

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252

Awesome! This will be very usefull. Thank you very much.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

thanks

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

This will come in very handy. Thank you so much!

Some notes:

I think this only works with PBR Metallicity.

So it won't do anything with PBR Specular/Glossiness (convert to PBR Metallicity and THEN apply script).

It won't do anything with Top Coat, Refraction, and other similar things.

Special/weird shaders, like procedural stuff or Stonemason's layered shaders, won't work until converted to PBR Metallicity.

Now, mind you, the biggest obstacle to Iray > 3DL conversion is architecture and props with lots of surfaces that need to be bulk converted, and the VAST majority of such cases are PBR Metallicity. You can then hunt down the odd lights/glass/whatever to manage specifically.

Also interestingly, in some cases I've converted stuff that already had a 3DL mat set, and liked the conversion better. So there's that...

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

Very useful indeed!

• AdreanAdrean Posts: 135
    edited January 2017

Hi, I have a question about the converter. I'm trying to convert the materials from http://www.daz3d.com/great-hall-of-the-round-table to 3Delight but the walls and floors are always pure white when rendered with 3DL engine.

What I did was selecting the walls with surface selector and running the script. Or  did I get it wrong?

Edit: turns out I have to apply the Iray Uber Shader first then reapply the texture. After that it goes smoothly.

That's still a lot of surfaces to handle but the scripts is really handy!

Post edited by Adrean on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

oh goody yes

• Oh wow thank you SO much my poor laptop doesn't have NVIDIA card so I pass by so much pretty stuff!

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Thank you!  This will indeed prove useful. :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you both - very, very much!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Haven't had a chance to try this yet, but it certainly sounds as though it could be very useful for me, thanks.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited January 2017

You, sir (madam/whatever -- PC Sux!), are an absolute God-send!
    There have been so many times I've run into Iray issues, and had to back it out, and resort to 3DLight, but heretofore, my only option was to abandon and recreate the scene using the correct shaders.
    This is an answer to a fervent prayer!
    Bless you!

Post edited by Ken OBanion on
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

You, sir (madam/whatever -- PC Sux!), are an absolute God-send!
    There have been so many times I've run into Iray issues, and had to back it out, and resort to 3DLight, but heretofore, my only option was to abandon and recreate the scene using the correct shaders.
    This is an answer to a fervent prayer!
    Bless you!

Such kind words! You're welcome. (Male, FYI) I'm glad everybody's enjoying it. 

I've noted a bug with Metallicity; if Metallicity contains a map, the script encounters an error. (I expect Esemwy will fix that quickly, but just in case people are scratching their head about some failed conversion)

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

I've noted a bug with Metallicity; if Metallicity contains a map, the script encounters an error. (I expect Esemwy will fix that quickly, but just in case people are scratching their head about some failed conversion)

New version posted above. 

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753

I've been too busy lately to test this out but it's great that it finally exists.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...yeah still need to DL and install but I have to use what we ued to call "Nike Net" with USB stick as the go between my notebook and workstation.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I keep meaning to try some 3DL; i was always useless at it, but I see some amazing renders with it.

...I tried LSD back in te 60s'  made for some interesting visions and colour effects, but 3DL seems a lot easier to control and no bad trips.

• Great Idea thank you for your contribution.

• Thanks for this script, looks very useful!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Thank you. I put it on my scripts menu. Works very well.

• Awesomeness! Thanks so much for sharing this!!

...is there supposed to be a download link somewhere?

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    kyoto kid said:

...is there supposed to be a download link somewhere?

The script and the two images are attached to the top post on the thread.

...the only link I am seeing iw to Will's profile, and there is only one image (nothing happens when I click on it).