IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Cutout Opacity SHOULD convert to Opacity with the script. The one time you really can run into issues is with specially coded Iray shaders (rather than presets based on Iray Uber)

• andrushuk1andrushuk1 Posts: 342

Thank you very much . should get all bugs worked out and sell as product i would gladly pay 20 for it working 100 percent.  ;)

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,671

Really usefull, work very well on characters.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

What happens for transparent materials that don't convert?  Does the transparency just not appear at all or the conversion can't happen or the materials otherwise 100% unuseable? or does it convert, but not look the same, but might still be useful as a different material? Or the transparency doesn't transfer but the rest of the material does? or is the transparency there but some feature is missing, etc?

I'm wondering if any of these materials could still be useful in some way even if not as the original material, or if they must be completely avoided.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

Like Will said, opacity should transfer OK. I definitely want to hear about it if it's not. That said, the script isn't that sophisticated mostly it just copies values with very little math. 

Esemwy said:

Like Will said, opacity should transfer OK. I definitely want to hear about it if it's not. That said, the script isn't that sophisticated mostly it just copies values with very little math. 

Oh, I didn't meant transparency maps (which I think it what cutout opacity is, although I'm not up on my iray terminology or usage, so maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing.)  For example, I'm talking about products like these.  It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm talking about.  :-)

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-frozen-sisters-for-genesis-3-female

https://www.daz3d.com/gems-and-minerals-for-rock-collection

https://www.daz3d.com/versatile-glass-shader-custom-shader-and-presets-for-iray

sriesch said:
    Esemwy said:

Oh, I didn't meant transparency maps (which I think it what cutout opacity is, although I'm not up on my iray terminology or usage, so maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing.)  For example, I'm talking about products like these.  It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm talking about.  :-)

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-frozen-sisters-for-genesis-3-female

https://www.daz3d.com/gems-and-minerals-for-rock-collection

https://www.daz3d.com/versatile-glass-shader-custom-shader-and-presets-for-iray

Ah, I see. Yes, it's likely that caustics will not convert correctly. I don't think the basic 3Delight shader has support for things like IOR and Abbe, which would be necessary for things like glass and gems to convert. I'll take a look though. I use mostly Iray myself, but I enjoy writing scripts. Maybe I can convince Will to help me with a conversion to UberSurface.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387

FireFox 54 won't let me D/L this.
    I had to use Chrome & then rename it.

One of the problems with attempting to expand out toward things like refraction and so on is that 3DL has a bunch of options for handling such things.

But it could be interesting to have, say, two UberSurface scripts; the first takes any refraction and converts it as accurate as it can, the second takes refraction and converts it to Opacity (which is how many 3DL scenes handle things like glass or water)

Is it literally just a matter of using the existing script then setting the refraction parameter, and it works?  Or is the conversion doing something internal to the shader network and a modification to the script is needed before anything is useable?  I don't really know what's going on behind the scenes.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    sriesch said:

Try this link instead, it's this same thread, but for some reason it shows the extra links at the bottom of the post that are invisible if you visit the thread normally:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script

I'm not seeing a download link anywhere, and I'm logged in. What am I missing?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    sriesch said:

Try this link instead, it's this same thread, but for some reason it shows the extra links at the bottom of the post that are invisible if you visit the thread normally:

The script and related thumbnails are attachements to the first post.

sriesch said:

The icons at the bottom of the original post are the downloads. 

OK ... I've downloaded all three icons at the bottom of the first post. So I install them under scripts?

OK ... I've downloaded all three icons at the bottom of the first post. So I install them under scripts?

You should be able to put them in any mapped DAZ Studio content folder.  I just gave them their own so they are the only three files there at the top level.

Gave them their own folder where, though?

edited August 2017

You would probably just put them in an existing folder alongside your other content, whatever the default location is in DS.  I'm weird, I create my own folder for every product.  You can see which content folder(s) are mapped (or add your own new one) in the Content library pane (in DS 4.8 at least), click the little menu icon in the upper corner and select "content directory manager", then click the '+' to expand "DAZ Studio Formats".  All your DAZ Studio content folders are listed here.  Presumably if you never created any, there will be only one or two, that is the folder you want to put your content in (or put it anywhere and add your new folder here.)

screenshot, content directory manager.png
    476 x 463 - 35K
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

I gave mine their own folder and put that into the Scripts folder , then opened DS and went to the script folder and clicked ion the file and created a custom action so I'm not having to look for it when I need it

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Anyone used this with Terra Dome 3?

• tkdrobert said:

TerraDome uses a custom sahder, so that is unlikely to covnert directly (it certainly won't be able to keep the angle-dependency that allows the materials to respond to the terrain).

tkdrobert said:

TerraDome uses a custom sahder, so that is unlikely to covnert directly (it certainly won't be able to keep the angle-dependency that allows the materials to respond to the terrain).

Can you replace the TD3 shaders with other shaders?  I've never tried, but I seem to remember the video saying you can.  I'm looking at some very cool IRAY toon shaders that have rock and terran.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Can you replace the TD3 shaders with other shaders?  I've never tried, but I seem to remember the video saying you can.  I'm looking at some very cool IRAY toon shaders that have rock and terran.

Yes, though again you'd lose the special, terrain-specific features of the included shaders.

I've had good luck converting TD3 to 3DL, but to use the script you need to first convert to a base Iray shader.

TD3 uses several layers (2 or 3, I forget) and then bases which layer is shown on the normal (essentially how much it faces up or not).

I think Stonemason's Winter Terrain uses a similar thing in 3dl, so you could laboriously copy it.

Or you could use a geo shell or two copies of the terrain, make one terrain use one set of TD3 maps, the other use the other, then have the rocks (or whatever) poke up through the sand/snow/whatever.

Ive had not entirely satisfactory results doing that; you might have to go high resolution to keep the line between one layer and the other from looking terrible.

If you have a rock shader (AoA rock), it can look pretty good.

Ive also had good luck doing the two layer thing but having the lower level use AoA grass; the grass looks very natural and higher bits more naturally poke up out of the grass.

I also think I coded a two layer normal shader in 3DL at one point (I'll try to find it), but I don't know scripting so an easy click option it ain't 

You just blew my brain.  I still have so much to learn and so little time.  LOL.

• Thank you Esemwy ​and timmins.william, the converter works! 
    This changes everything; OMG, my credit card bill!
    DiggrDude

It's really great for those giant scenes with hundreds of surfaces.

I think the only easy improvement I can think of is some way to select a lot of glass/light/flame surfaces so you can replace it with the 3dl shader of choice.

(Lights and windows are the only time consuming elements left after using the script, I find )

If anybody finds a way to get the conversion script working with https://www.daz3d.com/iridescent-shaders-for-iray , let me know...

Not really possible, other than grabbing the bump map.

My shaders rely on MDL code, which won't translate.

However, there are velvet and other shaders I think I've seen for 3dl, so that's something to look for.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2017

I'm guessing this isn't meant for characters? lol

I'd REALLY like to be able to provide 3Delight materials for my characters but I know nothing about 3DL. I converted my character manually, but, IMO, it looks awful. 

Iray:

3DL (manual conversion - which I think looks terrible):

So I was hoping that this script would help me. But ...I got Zombie Girl instead lol:

Is there any plans in the works for a script that would transfer Iray characters to 3Delight compatible? :) That would be awesome! 

Post edited by 3Diva on