Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you!  Been working hard at improving lol. 

edited January 2017

Changed the Dragon a bit to show off the armour a bit better. No postowrk on this one just wanted to see what it looked like with a red dragon.

Desert Warriors Two.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited January 2017

Thank you!  This is Strangefates new armour.  It not in the shop yet but I believe he is submitting it to Daz in the next week or so. Its truly some of the best armour I've used. The detailsare incredible and its very flexible, all the parts are separate so you can add, take away and pretty much make whatever you want with it.  And it looks good in both Iray and 3Delight although the 3delight is a bit brighter.

Oh sweet! It DOES look incredible! :D

You get to beta test it? That's awesome! Is there a way that I could beta test it too - or is he no longer looking for testers? I helped beta test his Brutal Weapons and Poses a that was a lot of fun! 

Post edited by 3Diva on

I think he is finished the with the armour and sending it to Daz this week.  But keep an eye on his thread in the art forum i'm sure he will be making something else at some point.  We just volunteered lol.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited January 2017

I would be interested in what you figure out!

Odd thing is, I just rendered the scene from a different angle (about 90 degrees off, to capture some other features of the room), and the shadowls looked normal. So it might be some odd interaction between lighting angle and camera angle, in which case it might be worth a try simply moving the camera or moving the lights . . .

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

I would be interested in what you figure out!

Odd thing is, I just rendered the scene from a different angle (about 90 degrees off, to capture some other features of the room), and the shadowls looked normal. So it might be some odd interaction between lighting angle and camera angle, in which case it might be worth a try simply moving the camera or moving the lights . . .

Sometimes the fix is so simple we never even consider it lol.

• KNKN Posts: 55

Very cool renders, Sonja.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this awesome armor?

Thank you and happy new year 2017!

_KN

I think he is finished the with the armour and sending it to Daz this week.  But keep an eye on his thread in the art forum i'm sure he will be making something else at some point.  We just volunteered lol.

Ah, thank you!

I've bookmarked his thread. So sad that I missed out on the beta testing. Hopefully I'll be able to help test his next product though. I had a lot of fun testing the Brutal Weapons. :)

KN said:

Very cool renders, Sonja.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this awesome armor?

Thank you and happy new year 2017!

_KN

@kn The armour is going to be in the Daz store soon.  Strangefate is the vendor (check out his weapon set, its just as amazing as the armour!) and the armour is going to Daz for testing and approval sometime this week I believe he said, so it should be in the store soon.  Its hands down one of the best armour sets I've seen.  You can take off or put on all the separate pieces so its great for kit bashing as well, or if you just don't need a cloak or the helmet or whatever for a scene, none of it is attached to something else so its very versatile.  And the textures are incredibly real, I keep wishing I could touch it lol. Plus, it comes with poses

edited January 2017

Raw Arts new Anicinabe for G3F

Around the Fire.jpg
    1236 x 988 - 600K

Gorgeous work! I love the atmosphere! You created a great mood piece. NICE! 

Thanks! DOF is finally making sense to me lol. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

*waves* Stopping in to say hi and great renders! Haven't had a chance to go through all 33 pages yet, but what I've seen so far is great. Love the dragon here and the fire with the DOF is very cool. And Strangefate's armor is amazing! Been keeping an eye on the store for that.

hahah Maybe you could write a tutorial about it. I'm so lost when it comes to DOF. I tried it a couple of times and seem to mess it up more often then not. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work right most of the time. 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited January 2017

Raw Arts new Anicinabe for G3F

Sonja,  In nearly every DOF render I've seen it appears in most cases to be overdone, IMO.  DOF is photographic, now CG, effect which does not represent properly what one actually sees in real life. Unless of course they need a new eyewear prescription... LOL  That said... the teepee is too blurry to me.  I would work on more firelight causing reflections off the character/Anicinabe and perhaps some reflection from the fire in her eyes... then I'd go to work on the fire and make it smaller since it is taking focus off the character.  Yet it is still a good render.

Now you've gone and done it... gotten me interested in experimenting with DOF in Carrara.  I've been steering clear of it since it increases render time a lot.

Let me know if my, hopefully constructive critiques, bother and I'll shut my trap. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on

hahah Maybe you could write a tutorial about it. I'm so lost when it comes to DOF. I tried it a couple of times and seem to mess it up more often then not. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work right most of the time. 

I'm planning on making a very simple scene... row of cubes/spheres in a line sitting on a plane, something that will render quickly... then messing with the settings for DOF and once they become out of focus enough I'll just save the simple little scene for reference.

Hope that might help.

wgdjohn said:

I'm planning on making a very simple scene... row of cubes/spheres in a line sitting on a plane, something that will render quickly... then messing with the settings for DOF and once they become out of focus enough I'll just save the simple little scene for reference.

Hope that might help.

That sounds good - I think that WOULD be helpful. :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

DOF in Carrara is added at the end of rendering (so don't panic if you think it's not working during the render). But there are also a few things, such as native hair, that don't DOF properly.

No worrieswgdjohn, constructive criticism is always welcome. Other than making the fire smaller though I am not sure there is any way to do any of what you suggest in Studio with Iray.  I think Carrara has a lot more options when it comes to stuff like that as does 3Delight.  If it wasn't iray I would pop in a point light where I wanted it and move things around a bit but Iray is a whole nother story and my skills with lighting in Iray are, shall we say, less than where I want them to be.

Diva, I 'm not sure I can put in words how I fiddle with stuff lol.  there is a way to see your DOF box from the top down view so you can see where it ends and begins.  A lot of the time, I will turn DOF on and not touch anything else and start the render and watch it for a few minutes and see how it looks.  If its not right I go in and change one thing and try again.  And so on and so forth til its right.  The ones that seem to work the  best with no fiddling is to leave the character almost exactly in the same spot she is in when she is loaded and move everthing else around her to put the scene together.  The DOF seems to be set up for it to be pointing right at that spot as the sweet spot.  If you can get the top down view of the camera to show the dof though, you can then move the sliders and SEE where the box is and whats its doing.  The box shows up for about half the time.  the other half, I just fiddle til I'm happy.

Thank you Llynara! Ya I take no credit for making that armor look good, that's all Mario's work lol!  The man is a genius.

DOF in Carrara is added at the end of rendering (so don't panic if you think it's not working during the render). But there are also a few things, such as native hair, that don't DOF properly.

I did not know that, thanks for pointing that out because I can gaurantee I would have tried it and been like, wait, what am I doing wrong?

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Hi Sonja!  Did you pick a product with template files to try grunging up?  KM offered her laboratory thread for experimenting.

A few others expressed some interest too. 

Do you have anything in particular you are interested in doing?  I probably have it lol.  Go ahead and pick and we can see if we all have the same thing

edited January 2017

We could do Defiant for Genesis -

or Avalon Adventure Outfit for Genesis

or Sheildmaiden for Genesis 2Female

or whatever else might strike your fancy. I honestly probably have whatever you might want to do. 

We can do it here or we can do it on KM's thread, makes no difference to me lol.  Or if Destiny's Garden doesn't mind we can resurrect her texturing tutorial thread and do it there, there are a lot of good suggestions and links already there.

edited January 2017

Shieldmaiden looks good.  It has a sword, a shield and clothing items.  Are there texture templates for it?

Anywhere is fine with me...

edit: typos

Post edited by dHandle on

TangoAlpha,  by "Native Hair" I assume you mean Carrara's Dynamic Hair... correct?

Sonja,  That may explain why I had so many problems when switching from 3Delight setting up lights and later switched to Iray... even though I changed the light settings to illuminate properly... my renders were shaded from the opposite direction... most confusing... before I figured Iray lighting out I'd dove into Carrara again and never looked back.

dHandle said:

Shieldmaiden looks good.  It has a sword, a shield and clothing items.  Are there texture templates for it?

Anywhere is fine with me...

edit: typos

Let me go look

There are for shieldmaiden for Gen2.  Can't tell for Genesis - will have to do a manual download to check.  Give me a couple of minutes

wgdjohn said:

TangoAlpha,  by "Native Hair" I assume you mean Carrara's Dynamic Hair... correct?

Sonja,  That may explain why I had so many problems when switching from 3Delight setting up lights and later switched to Iray... even though I changed the light settings to illuminate properly... my renders were shaded from the opposite direction... most confusing... before I figured Iray lighting out I'd dove into Carrara again and never looked back.

It could indeed be why.  They are very very different lol.

edited January 2017

Well, I'm amazed.  I had only half an idea how to do this, so I bought Shieldmaiden for Genesis 2 female.  I downloaded the texture files, and did a quick test to see if I could scruff up the boots in that set.

Here are my results: Not that bad for a first ever attempt.

TextureTest_01.jpg
    675 x 900 - 340K
    TextureTest_02.jpg
    675 x 900 - 335K

Diva, I 'm not sure I can put in words how I fiddle with stuff lol.  there is a way to see your DOF box from the top down view so you can see where it ends and begins.  A lot of the time, I will turn DOF on and not touch anything else and start the render and watch it for a few minutes and see how it looks.  If its not right I go in and change one thing and try again.  And so on and so forth til its right.  The ones that seem to work the  best with no fiddling is to leave the character almost exactly in the same spot she is in when she is loaded and move everthing else around her to put the scene together.  The DOF seems to be set up for it to be pointing right at that spot as the sweet spot.  If you can get the top down view of the camera to show the dof though, you can then move the sliders and SEE where the box is and whats its doing.  The box shows up for about half the time.  the other half, I just fiddle til I'm happy.

Thank you, Sonja! :D I really appreciate the tips! I'll try looking from the top down to position the DOF box and also trying to leave the figure in the spot she loads in. I'm sure that will help. I've had some success with DOF, for the most part though it ends up just making EVERYTHING blurry, even the main figure, and I can't figure it out. lol 

edited January 2017

@divamakeup Here's how I easily and quickly make DOF adjustments:

I set up my scene the way I want it with the camera pointing at the subject, and the background and foreground the way I want it using the camera I am going to render in. (NEVER the perspective view)  You need to give a bit of thought to foreground and background elements that you want out of focus.

Once my scene is set, I go into the camera tab, select the camera I will be using, and click the Depth of Field setting to "ON".

Then I go to perspective view and look at the scene.  I select the main render camera, then click on the little + symbol so I can see my main camera.  I adjust the view by backing up and sliding toward the subject.  The DOF setup boxes will be visible now.  They will be near the subject.  I adjust the camera settings so the near and far bounding box lines are in front of and behind the subject.  Everything inside those box lines will be in focus.  Everything outside will be out of focus.  The camera settings you need to adjust are f-stop, focal length and focal distance.

see image:

Hope this helps:

Capture.JPG
    1857 x 851 - 215K
This discussion has been closed.