Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2016

huh, did i forget to hit post?

Dear Daz, please release a patch to fix geograft uvs. 

Thanks!

++my movie requires those raw art geneses and genesis2 creatures to look animated and scary, 
    ++fuss free.   every project has a learning curve, but so much time troubleshooting it's taking away the joy of the project. tears splashing down on my hands as i type this

Post edited by Mistara on
  • I am just curious if the "AutoFit does not currently work on Genesis 2" has been fixed, or does it work at all, since Gen2 and Atrix Weight Models seem to be the same thing?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited September 2016

I use Genesis 2 all the time, along with autofit. Don't think it was fixed.  Suspect the "autofit doesn't work" was exaggerated, although I can give some specific examples of problems.  I even use genesis 2 with all of my V3/M3, V4/M4 content with appropriate clones.  The following thread shows my use of autofit with genesis 2, and also a few occasions in which I had trouble.  But I have converted literally hundreds of items for third and fourth generation figures for use with Genesis 2 male and female figures.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/best-practices-using-genesis-and-genesis-2-content-in-carrara/p1

Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited September 2016

This image all use G2 versions of characters using autofit for M3/4 v3/4 gen 1 and gen 2 clothing.

I even went so far as to import a g3 clothing as an obj already posed but in the end I took it out as where I was placing it you could not see it.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1008968/#Comment_1008968

Post edited by chickenman on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

Last programming I took was Pascal back in the 80's.

Python is free https://www.python.org/about/

free python books here  https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

...BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN back in the 70s.

could python fix the geograft uv bug issue?  

or would that be a core .dll c++ file fixer upper?

thankssmiley

the python version looks like it came out in 2012,  is that the latest and greatest for Carrara 8.5?

is it the same python version for 8.5.1.19**?

• Had anybody heard about progress on Carrara development ? Is it a dead horse at this point ?

• I haven't seen a new release in a long time. Version 8 came out back in 2010. There used to be a major update in features every year. Is Carrara now dead? 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I wish they would put out a fix so we can at least load and pose basic sets that are made is DS and being sold! no

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

I haven't seen a new release in a long time. Version 8 came out back in 2010. There used to be a major update in features every year. Is Carrara now dead? 

Seems to be "soon" cheeky

edited October 2016

FEATURE REQUEST  - for 3 monitors

Can make undockables for 3 monitor setup?

would like to undock the library pane and drag to left monitor.
    undock the rightside tabs to right monitor., make motion tablet bigger.
    would be kewl if storyboard could undock and be able to drag to right screen.

Workflow

Swap left/right symmetry

there was a thing in poser would like for carrara, menu, swap left/right symmetry.
    would be handy for walk cycles

off screen physics

y'know how particle physics can start simulating before thee 1st phrame?
    would be kewl if the drape cloth sim can start before the 1st frame, so then could start rendering at frame1.
    or drape between frames even.

i'm constantly unchecking the skip frames in the play preview, mebbe a way to save that as a default?

cheers!

and sample light calc across all cores

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Daz needs to either update Carrara or enhance Daz 3D where it is actually usable.

finally got the fenric product for swap symmetry!  fantasticheart

so, DS49 came with a convert triax/general to blended.  
    This wonder tool makes g3 clothes and hair work in carrara.

Unfortunately, g3m/f is still crashing, even blended.

so what's the next step?

come on daz, we in a race.  who can solve the crashing first?

2017!  is this the year general/dualquat update comes to carrara 8.5 119 part2?  smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I think 3D studio Max will become freeware first cheeky

just reminding, this thread

Started by DZ_jared 2013

edited January 2017

3doutlaw said:

Since we have your attention, Daz_Spooky...any thoughts on plans for Carrara 9? Be nice to know the product is going to move ahead after this! :)

I thought the plan was already announced. :)

EDIT - post copied from earlier in this thread, August 2013.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/414641/#Comment_414641

Post edited by Diomede on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Chohole said:

yes we all know about Bryce too broken heart

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

And another DazStudio Update.... well a few days ago...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Milo said:

Mostly that was rolling out an Iray update - which is really impressive btw. A render that had taken over 9 hours to get to 50%(on a 980Ti!) two days before, was finished in just over an hour.

But yeah, we'd all like them to show even a fraction of the same love towards Carrara. And Bryce. And Hexagon...

Milo said:

Mostly that was rolling out an Iray update - which is really impressive btw. A render that had taken over 9 hours to get to 50%(on a 980Ti!) two days before, was finished in just over an hour.

But yeah, we'd all like them to show even a fraction of the same love towards Carrara. And Bryce. And Hexagon...

was hour render the same quality as 9 hour?

thanks.

MistyMist said:
    Milo said:

was hour render the same quality as 9 hour?

thanks.

Identical - same file saved & reloaded, same settings. The reason it was slow in the first place was that it used Marshian's Above the Fog, in combination with a lot of emissive lights. That setup at least seems to have been well optimised in the update.

front-fog small.jpg
    1024 x 640 - 429K

Has anyone tried to rig a custom prop in the new Studio, saved it as DUF, then used it in Carrara?  Any further rigging issues?  Hesitant to upgrade to the new Studio until hearing about Carrara compatiblity.

is carrara compatibility on their minds at all?

>.< my glass is half empty today

Not in the new version, and anyhow I very rarely rig anything more complicated than doors & drawers. (In Carrara I mostly parent & constrain, cos hardbody rigging is such a faff). I sort of don't like making something in Carrara, rigging it in DS and then bringing it back to Carrara, it kinda smells like defeat, IYSWIM.

In a week or so I'll be rigging some doors etc. in DS, and can easily test the results back in Carrara . . .

Thanks.  In general, I much prefer rigging in Carrara for use in Carrara.  I'd like to make some original content for distribution.  The cyclopstritch is just the beginning.  wink    I picked up some tutorials on rigging in Daz Studio.  If possible, I'd like to make my whimsical creatures for both Studio and Carrara.  Starting with freebies, with the dream of eventually making something worthy of being for sale.

would really like to keep shaders in subfolder of object all in the same tab, cuz its like drilling down twice
    is there any way?

thankssmiley

If you've already set up shaders with texture maps, you'll need to reload all the maps from the new textures folder. Carrara stores a relative pathname to each and every texture map, so if your textures are in a direct subfolder, provided you move/copy everything and keep the same relative structure, it'll always be anble to load the file.

There is a gotcha though: If you save a model to the browser tray, that .car file will store its path relative to the browser tray, so it loses its portability to some extent.