Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Reduce the sun/moon shadows solve the problem too/good.

That's usually not a good idea. Instead, add a light or two to brighten up the shadows. Or use filler lights. They should be set to cast no shadows.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

That's usually not a good idea. Instead, add a light or two to brighten up the shadows. Or use filler lights. They should be set to cast no shadows.

Ok and thank´s, i will try this.

edited December 1969

You're welcome. There are three things that should only be used with utmost care: ambience, sky dome colour (set it black) and sun/moon shadows lower than 100%. Ambience tends to make objects glow, sky dome is a radial in the zenith that does not cast shadows and penetrates everything, shadows lower than 100 makes objects partly transparent for light.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok things are coming along ok, I think, banana's and the pear could use spots, but I'm not sure how to do so, every attempt so far has had me pulling my hair out.. probably need a few more tutorials.

bryce-fruit5.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 412K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

Another alien plant made out of meta-balls and cylinders.

LeafPlant.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 252K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 2012

we're going to have to model some weed killer aren't we? I saw little shop of horrors

Post edited by Rareth on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Feed me Seymour! I'm a mean green mama from outer space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rareth, nice work on the fruit!!

edited December 2012

Feed me Seymour! I'm a mean green mama from outer space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rareth, nice work on the fruit!!

thank you, final image (well for now) is 40+ minutes left on the render, (256 rpp, TA, soft shadows) looks pretty good, grapes need work, since they should be fairly translucence, but they look ok. will post the image when it's done.

Edit* DOH! now that I think about it I should have gone with purple grapes instead of green ones...

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Horo said:

Ok and thank´s, i will try this.

It usually takes years upon years for most Bryce users to learn these lessons about lighting in Bryce. The problem in Bryce is that the bad lighting tools are more accessible than the good lighting tools so people dont often notice them or learn to use them. If you get your eye trained to like the look of ambient glowing materials and non shadow casting lights then it can be hard to break the cycle...that is until you attempt your first still life recreation and you realize there is no real world equivalent for the ambient channel. Yes, as Horo suggest, play around with other forms of indirect lighting and the results will be better. Light benefits from shadows so disable shadows only when you absolutely need to.

Fun fun!

edited December 1969

It usually takes years upon years for most Bryce users to learn these lessons about lighting in Bryce. The problem in Bryce is that the bad lighting tools are more accessible than the good lighting tools so people dont often notice them or learn to use them. If you get your eye trained to like the look of ambient glowing materials and non shadow casting lights then it can be hard to break the cycle...that is until you attempt your first still life recreation and you realize there is no real world equivalent for the ambient channel. Yes, as Horo suggest, play around with other forms of indirect lighting and the results will be better. Light benefits from shadows so disable shadows only when you absolutely need to.

Fun fun!

It also doesn't help newbies that the default sky and the majority of library skies have 90% shadows and a lot (most) of the default library materials have ambience in their material set up because they were made to utilise the less complex Bryce lighting system.

edited December 2012

Rareth said:
    we're going to have to model some weed killer aren't we? I saw little shop of horrors

Lol!

I'd say about 99% of the plants I've been messing around with using meta balls and multi replicate have rendered looking dead already... I just don't post those ones :lol:

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Fun fun!

It also doesn't help newbies that the default sky and the majority of library skies have 90% shadows and a lot (most) of the default library materials have ambience in their material set up because they were made to utilise the less complex Bryce lighting system.

Yep, I agree completely. There is a forum poster who I dont get along with very well at all (will not name him) and it all is based on my view that the ambience and skydome features are detrimental distractions causing many new users not to seek better forms of indirect lighting. Ambience is just so easy, so darned accessible, how can a newbie ignore it?

During the last dev cycle myself and others begged that the default gray material in B7 not have 19.6% ambience attached to it like it used to in B6 and earlier, and indeed in B7 default gray has no ambience. But boy, when this peer of mine first saw that we had taken the ambience away from the B7 default gray, he flipped out and told me I was clueless about lighting and was better off the shut up and stop spreading misinformation. He says the Bryce render engine is designed for ambience and that one cannot accomplish realism without at least 19.6% ambience. I know, strange stuff. My view is that he allowed his eye to get accustomed to a certain type of look, and cannot break out of that. Which I think is a shame of sorts. But that's just me.

Anyhow, the point I am making is that ambience is brilliant but is only required in a small set of circumstances, not for every texture as the material library would suggest. Yes, the material library is VERY misleading about this issue. Agree 100% with your sentiments!

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Sorry, but here is a picture to laugh.

Nice render. It looks so life like :)
    edited December 1969

Looks a bit like Aloe Vera, except for the wavy edges :)
    Seems you are finding pleasure in playing with meta ballz.
    edited December 1969

Seems you are finding pleasure in playing with meta ballz.

Pleasure and frustration, but most of that frustration is with the 'multi replicate' settings getting the stalks to bend the right way.
    And then a certain amount of frustration comes from things like ending up with a single stalk that is made up of 300 cylinders and it takes an age to update the materials and move it into position. Then if meta balls have been used, trying to find a way to speed up the process and trying to convert it to a mesh only to find that it has really jagged edges.... but finding out what doesn't work is kind of as much fun as finding out what does... and I'm no stranger to frustration. :)

edited December 1969

ok Here is the Fruit Plate, I think I need to redo the grapes as purple ones, but thats for another day..

bryce-fruit-Final.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 404K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: The first four leaves look as though they've just been picked. They look very nice. Your next plant also looks very good. And innocent.

@Rareth: Development of the fruit plate has been interesting. Whether purple or green, they do need a bit of a translucent look. However, there are grapes that do look like the ones you've produced.

edited December 1969

The grapes will be the greatest challenge to to get right. Bryce has no real translucency and SSS. Rashad's leaf material could give you a hint how to go about it. http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2040

edited December 1969

Bonsai tree.

Trunk and branches made with more meta balls.
    Exported meta ball model as a 3DS file and it gives you options for mesh size setting (I'd never tried this before so that was new to me).
    Setting it to 100 (most detail) gives excellent results and when the 3DS is imported back into Bryce, speeds up everything immensely.

Bonzai.jpg
    800 x 1240 - 440K
    edited December 1969

That one looks really excellent.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get a grape material... This one is a rough version (done at only 9RPP) though I now don't think it's translucent enough... I've just tweaked it a bit and am doing a 36RPP render, but just these three grapes are going to take about 2 hours to render. :ohh:

Grapes.jpg
    300 x 300 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Bonsai tree.

Trunk and branches made with more meta balls.
    Exported meta ball model as a 3DS file and it gives you options for mesh size setting (I'd never tried this before so that was new to me).
    Setting it to 100 (most detail) gives excellent results and when the 3DS is imported back into Bryce, speeds up everything immensely.

Nice tips and tree. :)
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2012

I agree with Horo - "The grapes will be the greatest challenge to to get right."

Some grapes take on a ‘bloom’ (known as ‘cutin’ - oleanolic acid for preserving moisture loss) effect, so I would imagine it will be hard to achieve (as, too, with the peaches, which should also have a furry-like finish to them).

Btw...I love your cloth effect -very nice (I wonder would applying such a similar-type mat to the peaches give you that 'furry' finish - as above mentioned).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    I agree with Horo - "The grapes will be the greatest challenge to to get right."

Some grapes take on a ‘bloom’ (known as ‘cutin’ - oleanolic acid for preserving moisture loss) effect, so I would imagine it will be hard to achieve (as, too, with the peaches, which should also have a furry-like finish to them).

Btw...I love your cloth effect -very nice (I wonder would applying such a similar-type mat to the peaches give you that 'furry' finish - as above mentioned).

Jay

and some take on yeasts.
    edited December 1969

The cloth just has a very high frequency noise applied to it for bump at a very low bump setting, the problem with Peach Fuzz is its white and peaches are not. Here is the fruit plate from over a year ago, when I did it in Carrara, and you can see the difference..

fruitbowl3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 212K
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Rareth
    I think it's coming along great and I like the red fabric on the earlier render, that's great looking felt!

@Dave
    I think the 90% shadows thing on all those presets is due to them being very old (even before TA old), and setting the shadows to such gives a more natural look to a basic render without all the goodies we have these days. It gives the impression of better light in the scene when using just basic ray-tracing.

They could do with an update for sure.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Not been up to much this last week (unless producing mucus counts?) thanks to the inevitable Winter round of germs, but I'm feeling a bit better now - ish... Still not really got much voice left to speak of - which goes without saying? Anyway, I've continued pondering SSS and I had a little idea to test, here instead of absorption through volumetric material, I've used internal reflection to modify the light transiting the interior - because there is a limit to the number of bounces, the ray depth, by bouncing the light around inside it effectively gets absorbed by running out of speed (ray depth) - or so I reckoned. This took one hour forty to render - so not that efficient. I used a green light on the left and a red light on the right. No other light sources. Horo's Heating Room HDRI provides a backdrop just for reflection.

SSS_sphere_test1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 147K
    edited December 1969

It's not grapes, but the translucency part is convincing. Inspired by the jelly (http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2351) using higher TIR?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2012

Horo said:
    It's not grapes, but the translucency part is convincing. Inspired by the jelly (http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2351) using higher TIR?

If there were any grapes I'd have eaten them! Yes not yet. Interesting idea about TIR. Yes, maybe... what I'm testing now, and this is the point really about doing it via reflection and ray depth - in theory it might be possible to achieve a kind of SSS using only one surface mesh. Which would offer distinct advantages (but probably not speed unfortunately) for ease of use with complex mesh objects. Like say - dragons... or even Vicky... a bit too early to say yet... I'm not getting my hopes up for skin... but it's worth trying. Running another test now. Should be "slightly" more efficient. Maybe 1/3 of the previous render time with a bit of tweaking.

Edit... second test.

SSS_sphere_test2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 71K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: That's a nice looking Bonsai tree. Used in the right setting it could also be the center point in a courtyard of a home or business.

@Rareth: The grapes made with Carrara look really good.

This discussion has been closed.