Greybro's Ground - A Render A Day

GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,455
edited March 2017 in Art Studio

Just a thread to share some renders both complete and abandoned from recent days, months and years. Is it art? I don't know but I LIKE IT!

We'll start with one that frankly, kinda just got away from me. I really value filling up a scene but sometimes I'll get to the point where the scene won't save properly and on reload it fails.
I call it, "The Battle of Dragons Keep"

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,455
    edited December 2016

Play Time: Here's another little abandoned project. I'd like to revisit this concept sometime.

Play Time

PlayTime.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nothing wrong with lots of details! Welcome to the art studio!  Look forward to seeing more of your stuff

Nothing wrong with lots of details! Welcome to the art studio!  Look forward to seeing more of your stuff

Thanks. It's odd that I really only noticed the Art Studio the other day though I've been posting here forever! I hope to add an image per day as I have a massive backlog of abandoned works. It always feels nice to at least post them someplace.

edited December 2016

For today my offering is another content entry, "I think for the DS Creative Steampunk contest". I don't experiment with Steampunk that often because I've seen some many folks just totally nail it, but I do like it. This one features my likeness in an M4 character built by Sixus1 breaking right over the shoulder of the hero gal. I've since stopped using it in favor of a more accurate looking Facegen generated G2 character that looks a bit more like me as it is easier to make it...well, fatter like me. LOL! Anyways, this one was a lot of fun. I might try re-tooling it with the amazing Mech4D shaders at some point.

The Battle for Steamgate
    The Battle for Steamgate

edited December 2016

Today's image is of the Dread Pirate Robert

Pirate Rob

So, I've started collecting my friends photographically speaking and have turned them into G1, G2 & G 3 characters via the miracle that is Facegen. Once I have each setup, I tried to come up with some sort of fantastic character study type of shot. It's a fun diversion for me and usually they are very entertained by it as well. 

Here's one I completed this week, It's my cinematography buddy, Rob, as a pirate. The character is built on the Genesis 3 chasis and he's wearing the Crimson seas outfit with default IRay textures. The Flintlock is from the Z Marks The Spot Accessories kit, retextures for Iray using some awesome Mech4D shaders.

The Backdrop is from the Baroque Grandeur Iray Addon (Boy that set is hard to get results like the amazing promos, let me tell ya.) The hair and beard are from the Leandro 7 pro bundle.

edited December 2016

Since it's the Christmas season, here's one that I think turned out interesting. It's a kind of real life turned render concept of my Americana Folk out fit, we called, "The Two Spies Trio."  We played in many a small coffee shop and restaurant all over the Southeast from North Carolina to Va. I know the image is a bit dark but I really wanted to make those Christmas lights pop. I also wanted to mention that our actual banner and poster from real life are included in the composition.

Two Spies Trio

• Awesome work, Greybro!

Awesome work, Greybro!

Thank you. Thanks for stopping by for a view.

Very cool!

Very cool!

Thanks so much.

Today's render is my most ambitious composition to date. I've come to hate it due to the lack of DOF, but it is...well...epic. 236 figures. I need to do something like this with Daz Studio and real depth of field. I need to look into learning instancing.

Enter The Net

Holy wow!  That looks like a totally epic project! I love it!

Holy wow!  That looks like a totally epic project! I love it!

Thanks. It sure made many hours of my free tim go bye bye!

• No idea how you managed to render that many figures, but that's a lot!  Just thinking about all of the posing and placing of each figure makes me all twitchy!  :)

Knittngmommy, I'll just say this, Photoshop is your friend when doing something like this. You still need to render the images in the right spot but you can do spot renders for that, then just composite them where you need them.

edited December 2016

Today we will carry on with the massive multi-figure theme with, "The Land of Layla."  Still no DOF, which bugs me, but overal I thinkl it's a better compsition than,
    "Enter The Net" above. See if you can discover how many Mil cats I've hidden in the scene.

The Land of Layla

• Greybro said:

Knittngmommy, I'll just say this, Photoshop is your friend when doing something like this. You still need to render the images in the right spot but you can do spot renders for that, then just composite them where you need them.

I use Gimp, but, yeah, I can understand about making use of spot renders.  I just kind of learned that technique not long ago and use it all the time now.  Although, I don't think I've used from the outset like I'm guessing you probably did with this to get all of the figures rendered.  I might have to do a large scene and try that out, although, probably not quite that many figures.  Just doing all that posing is daunting and I actually love posing. :)

Neelz online posted a how to of sorts on the old Daz forum. Now that guy has this kind of image perfected. I think he uses vue to do the rendering of proposed and exported Poser figures reimporteduld  to vue. I'm not that patient.

i do think with better planning I could pull this off with dof

edited December 2016

Lara and The Guardian

Another contest entry. I quite liked the look of it but kept trying to push it until I completely corrupted the scene file. Then, of course I was never able to get quite the same lighting and camera placment back. I honestly do not remember which Jolie inspired Lara character that is. There are so many. It might be the one from Scooby37 at (I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention another marketplace but it sounds similar to Henderosity.)

Lara And TheGuardian

Post edited by Greybro on
    edited January 2017

Ripley's Run
    This one actually won two different contests and was recognized here at Daz. I'm a huge fan of the franchise. BTW, this is my final post of the year. Try not to sink into a deep depression over that sad fact! 2017 will be better in every possible way.
    Ripley's Run

edited January 2017

Diner Chat

This is my first render of 2017 and was really quite unexpected as I was just setting up a scene for a strip featuring some recent purchases from the seasonal sale madness here and at the other big site.

Diner Chat

edited January 2017

New Years Fun

I made this one yesterday and it seemed appropriate to go ahead and post.
    Happy New Year 2017

HappyNewYear2017.png
    2000 x 1125 - 5M
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Great renders! Love the one with all the action figures, but they're all really good. I used to do DOF with Photoshop. It's a great workaround for things you don't want to re-render. Here's a tutorial for GIMP and one for Photoshop.

I just recently learned DOF in DAZ using a couple of tutorials posted in the forums. Flipmode has a great one here and Jay's is also very good, here.

Post edited by Llynara on
    Llynara said:

Great renders! Love the one with all the action figures, but they're all really good. I used to do DOF with Photoshop. It's a great workaround for things you don't want to re-render. Here's a tutorial for GIMP and one for Photoshop.

I just recently learned DOF in DAZ using a couple of tutorials posted in the forums. Flipmode has a great one here and Jay's is also very good, here.

Thanks. You have lovely avatar by the way! I need to update mine soon!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thank you! laugh

edited January 2017

El Mariachia

There's so much to say about this one. My father passed at the end of  March 2016, just after his 78th birthday, so this one will ever be poignant for me. He wan't a musician. I am. He did once bring me back a nylon stringed guitar from a trip to Mexico, hence the instrument in the image and his wearing of a traditional Mariachi garb. Only for his final year was he particularly fond of dogs, but he did have a boxer he really liked. I, with a random bull dog am depicted over his shoulder looking on. He ran a welding shop, hence the industrial background. The fairies are meant to signify the fantical super natural nature of the image, as if seen in a dream.

I saw my daddy wave from the top of the hill. He said, "Come along, Son." I said, "Soon I will." - The Lost Dogs

El Mariachi

edited January 2017

I'll be honest. I got sucked into the whole Toon craze sweeping Daz! I once directed a short Horror hostess web series that featured a character called, "Muticia The Movie Goddess." The character was taylor made fo toon dom. I mean come on, check out the live action version.

The Character was created by my friend, J.T. McRoberts with a little help from the rest of the folks at Mutantville.

Here is the episode which I directed in case you might want to check it. This is ultra, ultra no budget and literally made in my basement a short time after the producer got to meet Mr Corman. Don't judge it too harshly. It's just some friends having a little fun with a camera.

Toon Muticia

Here's the real actress.

The Real

MuticiaMutie.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 174K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Those are good. Really like that orange toon muppet. laugh

Those are good. Really like that orange toon muppet. laugh

Ah, Thanks. It was a lot of fun to make. We were all holding onto that film making dream in those days. Actually there's part 1 of a Muticia Christmas special somewhere but part 2 didn't arrive this year as planned. You know peoples get busy with work etc. I know it's been shot though becasue it shot was back in that Media room at my house.

edited January 2017

Werewolf of The Fane

Made with my Genesis Werewolf product called, "Wolfen"

Wolfen

EnhancedWEb.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M