Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited November 2016

On a wholly separate note, I picked up some of the ex-RuntimeDNA items in the 3-dollar sale without too high an expectation (they are old-ish V4 outfits) but have been pleasantly surprised by them. Here is Angeloi - the Outfit by Arki and Spiritfoxy autofitted (with a little help from Wear-them-all and Sickleyield's Ultra Templates) to G3F Aibell.

These are the DS material presets that come with Angeloi, just with the Iray Uber Base shader applied. Lighting is from Sveva's Chroma lights.

Note: Two of the clothing items in the Angeloi set are Poser Dynamics, so they are not shown in this render. I may get round to taking them into Blender and trying to pose them, but don't hold your breath on that one!

Aibell-Angeloi.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 445K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2016

This is Illumbrella.  I loved this the moment I saw it.  There is a lot more to it than this simple render and its easy to use as well.  Check out the product page for more details.

Stained Glass.png
    902 x 1276 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited November 2016
    MelanieL said:

Here's a contribution to your Marshian show: these (oldish) renders use his Kaleidoscope product.

ETA: I made these when I first bought the Kaleidoscope and intended to make a lot more images, but my experiments stalled when I encountered a bug in 3Delight rendering involving reflections (and actually shadows too) of instances of high resolution models. I raised a bug report (which still hasn't been closed) then kind of lost interest for a while. I really should have another go - the product works perfectly well for non-instanced models. I wonder if it can be made to work with Iray? Hmmm...

You might check his thread on this there was a discussion on it a couple of weeks ago.  If I remember correctly the answer was yes, but I would read through the last page or two cause I don't remember exactly what was said.  I will try and track it down and add a link.  Edited to add HERE is the link to that thread.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    MelanieL said:

On a wholly separate note, I picked up some of the ex-RuntimeDNA items in the 3-dollar sale without too high an expectation (they are old-ish V4 outfits) but have been pleasantly surprised by them. Here is Angeloi - the Outfit by Arki and Spiritfoxy autofitted (with a little help from Wear-them-all and Sickleyield's Ultra Templates) to G3F Aibell.

These are the DS material presets that come with Angeloi, just with the Iray Uber Base shader applied. Lighting is from Sveva's Chroma lights.

Note: Two of the clothing items in the Angeloi set are Poser Dynamics, so they are not shown in this render. I may get round to taking them into Blender and trying to pose them, but don't hold your breath on that one!

That looks great!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I like the wispiness of the fog, it does seem quite "floaty!" 

MelanieL- wow, that's a LONG time for an open bug report. Do you think they maybe fixed it and didn't tell you? That's really cool how Kaleidoscope puts depth into the scene.

Thanks you two! I'm still working on Cassia, she's about done.

edited November 2016

Melanie- did you see this texture set for it? Thanks for showing that, I picked it up but hadn't had time to do anything with it. GORGEOUS render! (this is a link to the bundle, only $4!) 

Post edited by Novica on

I was really sad that the base products were not in a bundle!  I did grab all teh other ones some beautiful stuff!

edited November 2016

This is Cassia for Olympia (without Iray skin, as the light set is for 3DL) and the Light Up The Dark For Daz Studio, testing it for portraits first. So I changed the lighting colors (due to her skin being so dark) and a few of the intensities. I mostly used the Harvest Moon options. It was strange going back to 3DL skin.

Next,  I will totally delete these and use the defaults and we'll see those. 

Wearing Arthurian Outfit and Danah Braid.

cassia3DL.jpg
    495 x 800 - 330K
    Post edited by Novica on

MelanieL, I just noticed you used Aibell. I don't remember seeing a render of her, she's neat. Of course, I like the thicker eyebrows.

Ice Dragon Art- LOVE the patterns that illumbrella throws!!!! Great lighting, one of my favs!!!!

Thanks!  I got the texture expansion and it has quite a few beautiful stain glass textures for this.

edited November 2016

The lights are neat because they are different colors and you can choose between bluish, red, more gold- and the spots and overhead ones match up. So the previous one was reddish, one of these has a more olive hue and the last one I used one red, one olive (see hand), so you can see the difference. You want to use the same hues if you want a consistent look, but thought I'd share as it could be a creepy look too by intensifying the colors.

cassia3DL no2.jpg
    495 x 800 - 353K
    cassia3DL no4.jpg
    495 x 800 - 354K
    Post edited by Novica on

Just realized  Ihave that light set and actually use it quite a bit.  Its great for spooky and dusk, night, and twilight scenes.  Of course, I have no idea which renders I used it on at this point lol. 

Novica said:

MelanieL- wow, that's a LONG time for an open bug report. Do you think they maybe fixed it and didn't tell you? That's really cool how Kaleidoscope puts depth into the scene.

I had actually forgotten all about it until I saw someone else having a rather familiar problem in another forum thread. I sent a "hey is anything happening?" reminder back in September this year and got the response that they couldn't reproduce the problem in DS4.9 - however I pointed them to the recent forum posts about it and the last I heard was September 20th when the team were supposedly looking at it and would let me know. (I did get an apology for the long wait)

Novica said:

Melanie- did you see this texture set for it? Thanks for showing that, I picked it up but hadn't had time to do anything with it. GORGEOUS render! (this is a link to the bundle, only $4!)

Oh yes, I saw that and I'm still trying to decide whether to get it. The textures look pretty but I often do retexturing (using fabric shaders) anyway so I'm not sure how much use I'll get.

I was really sad that the base products were not in a bundle!  I did grab all teh other ones some beautiful stuff!

Me too! I'd have grabbed a bundle in an instant, but even at 3 dollars or less I'm not sure I need another chapel and while the accessories look nice I may not get the use from them. I'm still debating the Malaik bundle just for the wings, but then again I have several sets of wings... Oh decisions decisions frown

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Here are some ideas for using Kaleidoscope in Iray (it will work but there are differences): http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/881631/#Comment_881631

MelanieL said:

Here's a contribution to your Marshian show: these (oldish) renders use his Kaleidoscope product.

ETA: I made these when I first bought the Kaleidoscope and intended to make a lot more images, but my experiments stalled when I encountered a bug in 3Delight rendering involving reflections (and actually shadows too) of instances of high resolution models. I raised a bug report (which still hasn't been closed) then kind of lost interest for a while. I really should have another go - the product works perfectly well for non-instanced models. I wonder if it can be made to work with Iray? Hmmm...

edited November 2016

Thanks so much Novica and Ice Dragon Art! Here are some promos for Above The Clouds For Iray: Nimbostratus that weren't on the store page. On average only about half the illustrations I create make it to the product page, its usually because they arent as strong. Theres only been a very few that marketing felt did not highlight the product well enough. The main tips for my cloud products are to use AuxViewport, use back lighting, and the further away from the prop you render the better it looks. But it looks great close up to you just have to be more cautious with placing figures/props. 

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2016

Here are a few extras from Kaleidoscope. The way this project came together was really magical- both that it worked at all and that it was a way to add so much to a scene without increasing render times (not much at all). Tips for this are again AuxView Port especially because you cant see whats going to happen until it renders. Much like trying to photograph pets- just point the camera and start shooting (rendering) because there is a high degree of chance for happy accidents.

Marshian said:

Here are some ideas for using Kaleidoscope in Iray (it will work but there are differences): http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/881631/#Comment_881631

MelanieL said:

Ah, thanks for the link - I'll have to try that soon.

And those are some lovely extra images - I love the bright cheerful colours in the first one (the "traditional" kaleidoscope-type image)

Sure MelanieL. Let me know if you have any questions as you get into it. The "traditional" renders are easier and more fun as the prop is parented to the camera in the perfect spot- so you just drive the camera around your scene rendering and see what happens.

edited November 2016

Here is one of the promos I submitted for Above The Clouds For Iray: Nimbostratus that was requested to be left out. When the cloud prop is scaled down very very small it renders like bubbles without any adjustments to materials. I thought this promo highlighted expanded usage but marketing thought it was too far off base (I dont remember the exact words). I can see their point for sure- it was a risk.

edited November 2016

Anyone watching/reading: Let me know if you'd like to see more or ask more of anything and I trickle it in over the weekend. What I'm really proud of is this promo below for the Illumberella (illuminated umbrella). I set out to create the most minimalist promo that has existed in the DAZ3D store. I think I did but haven't really researched it. It is so clean and refreshing.

Marshian said:

Anyone watching/reading: Let me know if you'd like to see more or ask more of anything and I trickle it in over the weekend. What I'm really proud of is this promo below for the Illumberella (illuminated umbrella). I set out to create the most minimalist promo that has existed in the DAZ3D store. I think I did but haven't really researched it. It is so clean and refreshing.

I love this one.  And the fact that it doesn't have to be used just as an umbrella.  One of my favorite promos for this one is the dragon one with the umbrella being part of the roof.  It was so awesome!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Marshian said:

Here is one of the promos I submitted for Above The Clouds For Iray: Nimbostratus that was requested to be left out. When the cloud prop is scaled down very very small it renders like bubbles without any adjustments to materials. I thought this promo highlighted expanded usage but marketing thought it was too far off base (I dont remember the exact words). I can see their point for sure- it was a risk.

I always appreciate ideas for using a product in unexpected ways. I think this would have been a great promo. Thanks for sharing the idea here.

• That's a great promo image, love it!

Just purchased two of your products mentionned by Novica so this is going to my wishlist! wink

Marshian said:

Hey folks, I'm here. Just catching up- love having you on the thread Marshian! Post as much as you want. I'm working on a above the clouds/ Autopsy room one at the moment. Thought it would be fun for a creepy factor, using the clouds as fog is coming along nicely!

I'll be honest, to me the bubbles one looks more like a sandy mixture, but I think with more transparency it would work. But as is, I think it would be fun to try for sand in a ground base!

edited November 2016

Adrianna isn't sure if it's coming or going, but she's going!  I used the Above the Clouds For Iray Nimbostratus for fog/ wispy smoke. So easy! I did a bit of smudge/add more white/gray/charcoal along the back wall to blend a bit (so if you don't like that part, it's ME, lol.)  I love the Prison Clothes and Scrubs  because you get two uses from them. She's wearing Char Hair. It's actually a hair that in my opinion can be used for  "had a long day, don't judge me" type renders. (been there, looked like that. After an hour at the barn!) 

BTW, I recommend Autopsy by @TheAntFarm because the details are really good, and you can use it for other things. The room loads empty and it could easily be any kind of interior clinical room as long as you don't show the um, insert-the-bodies-in-here section. I wanted to show you that cart as it loads full size (not sure about the reasoning on that, it's not long enough for bodies but extremely large!) as it would make a good cart when shrunk down for other things. DONE I'll do a few more renders of just the room. I LOVE that all walls load separately! Yes!  

I hid a wall to get this shot, the room is fully enclosed. Very thoughtfully planned. Kudos!

Edit- I just re-read that first sentence, no pun was intended!

autopsyAboveClouds.jpg
    696 x 700 - 345K
    autopsy2.jpg
    398 x 400 - 148K
    autopsy3.jpg
    398 x 400 - 142K
    autopsy4.jpg
    398 x 400 - 124K
    autopsy5.jpg
    398 x 200 - 58K
    Post edited by Novica on

BTW folks, just a tip- when reposting the images to reference them, you can click on the image icon (the mountains with the sun, the image you click to insert images) and resize the image down so it's not so huge. Doing them about 300-400 pixels high puts them at a nice size. That way people can scroll down to the comments faster and the pages aren't filled with the same images over and over again at full size.  wink  (Someone mentioned that a couple months ago and I was like, "Oh! Didn't know I could do that!") 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Novica said:

BTW folks, just a tip- when reposting the images to reference them, you can click on the image icon (the mountains with the sun, the image you click to insert images) and resize the image down so it's not so huge. Doing them about 300-400 pixels high puts them at a nice size. That way people can scroll down to the comments faster and the pages aren't filled with the same images over and over again at full size.  wink  (Someone mentioned that a couple months ago and I was like, "Oh! Didn't know I could do that!") 

That's what I did in my reply above. I used 200, if I recall.

Novica said:

BTW folks, just a tip- when reposting the images to reference them, you can click on the image icon (the mountains with the sun, the image you click to insert images) and resize the image down so it's not so huge. Doing them about 300-400 pixels high puts them at a nice size. That way people can scroll down to the comments faster and the pages aren't filled with the same images over and over again at full size.  wink  (Someone mentioned that a couple months ago    and I was like, "Oh! Didn't know I could do that!"

You know, that never even occured to me... I have been resizing to 800 but never thought to go smaller when reposting.

Understandable. A lot of people repost them large, and it's interesting to see the culture of various forums. On some, very rarely are images ever reposted, which drives me nuts when pages of pages go by, then I'm trying to remember what they're talking about!  I think even if they are viewing on mobile devices, with the smaller sizes they'll still be able to know what is referenced. It's just a reminder, not meant for scrutiny.

This discussion has been closed.