Snip20150412_3.png
    1609 x 907 - 217K
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2015

I just did a test render.
    But....

What's wrong?

Hi leochen0706-

Use one of the Render presets and there will be a lot more of those little guys. It will also help a great deal to have a floor and sky (dome or sphere).

Also- You might find the prop needs to be scaled down quite a bit... just big enough for your figure and camera to fit inside the Kaleidoscope. This depends on what other props or figures are going into your scene.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kaleidoscope_render_presets.png
    317 x 309 - 80K
    Post edited by Marshian on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Is this product happy with iRay? Or is it just 3Delight?
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739
    KA1 said:

Last time I checked 3Delight only.

It works with Iray if the Kaleidoscope surface is changed to Chrome. I'm cooking up a render right now and will be able to post it in about an hour. I used AtmoCam too.

KA1 said:

KA1- I'm so glad you asked this question! I hadn't tested Kaleidoscope in Iray and am happy to report that it works very well once the surface is changed to Iray Chrome. This render uses the Sun-Sky render setting in Iray. To my knowledge there is no way to turn off shadows for objects in Iray so the shadow you see is from the Kaleidoscope prop- which is kind of a cool way to add some drama, I think. The prop Y scale can be raised and lowered to create a half-light effect.

So this is something to consider. If all of your lights are inside the prop or come down from above (or from the side with the 4 Sided LG Room Vertical prop) you will have all the same lighting freedoms of 3Delight but with the realism of Iray.

The specs for this render:

• render size- 2300x1769
    • max samples- 2500
    • max time 3600 (1 hour)

Then in photoshop I reduced the size down to 900 pixels wide.

These specs certainly don't have to be used. I'm just forecasting some possible follow up questions. Still- dont hesitate to ask if you have somemore.

Kaleidoscope in Iray with AtmoCam Marshian.jpg
    900 x 692 - 563K
    Thats brilliant, 1 question comes to mind, will the telling Kaleidoscope to NOT reflect an object (ie a character) work? I'm guessing probably yes but not knowing how it deals with not reflecting certain elements I wasn't sure if the iRay chrome shader night disable that function?

The ultimate answer at this point is no, Iray reflections (as beautiful as they are) cannot be hidden. I guess this makes sense as all objects cast shadows too-  if it's there it's there.

This was a fun puzzle though- in the render attached I was able to conceal the redball with careful placement of the cubes. I know it's not ideal but this method could be used for a figure or vehicle nestled in some buildings or large landscape elements.

Kaleidoscope in Iray with Reflections Marshian.png
    723 x 828 - 958K
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074
    edited August 2015
    Marshian said:

The ultimate answer at this point is no, Iray reflections (as beautiful as they are) cannot be hidden. I guess this makes sense as all objects cast shadows too-  if it's there it's there.

This was a fun puzzle though- in the render attached I was able to conceal the redball with careful placement of the cubes. I know it's not ideal but this method could be used for a figure or vehicle nestled in some buildings or large landscape elements.

Very interesting... next question... I see there's a black hole to the left of your circle.. Is there a way to change the number of reflections? I can't seem to find it.. and I'm doing a render and it has a big black sky with Iray :(

Post edited by Llola Lane on

Hi Lola Lane,

I haven't found a way to extend the raytracing (amount of reflections) the way 3Delight allows, but that too has it's limits. My solution here would be to conceal it (as in above) or retouch it in post.

The AtmoCam for Iray would provide a haze that would obscure those very distant areas where the shadows end.

Marshian said:

Hi Lola Lane,

I haven't found a way to extend the raytracing (amount of reflections) the way 3Delight allows, but that too has it's limits. My solution here would be to conceal it (as in above) or retouch it in post.

The AtmoCam for Iray would provide a haze that would obscure those very distant areas where the shadows end.

Yeah.. I was afraid of that... I'm redoing my grave render I did earlier in this thread... It's not turning out half as nice.  3Delight put a nice haze for me.  I guess there are some plus' and minus' with both rendering engines.  I'll play a little more .. then post what i come up with.  I'm trying to keep the camera where it is.. and I'm not sure I can fix it in postwork... I'm not very good at it... Anyway.. I'll post it anyway... Thanks oodles.

Llola,

I've been doing a lot of scene conversions too and for the most part I can convert a scene to Iray in about 20 minutes, this is lighting and sky/dome only btw. What you've brought up here is a great (and easy) way to retouch an image- If the scene is rendered in both engines (the camera in the same place) then in post all one has to do is place the 3Delight version on top and erase the Iray-specific areas for them to show through (this would be most of the foreground I imagine). Might need a little adjustment for any differences in lighting/contrast but this would work 

edited August 2015

Marshian... Good idea... with merging the two... Problem is Iray is taking a long time for me to render.. Below is a 512x512 rendering that took 1hour 20minutes... my original is 1024x1024... I just wanted to see the difference... I think Iray doesn't have as much raytrace value as 3Delight...  It's ok.. I can try your idea too... Thanks for the input :)

KALIDEOSCOPE CAMERA iray SAMPLE domescene 10 1hr 20minutes.png
    512 x 512 - 558K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

btw.. i did samples with all lighting choices and I liked this one best ;)

Have you used that super-sampling method to cut down render time? I mean this should help > I dont know what kind of lighting you're using.

1. Double your (original) render size to 2048x2048
    2. Cut the max samples and max time in half, it will render in one hour
    3. Then bring into photo editing program and reduce the size back down to 1024x1024

This squishes the grain into a very fine powder so it becomes much much less noticeable- it tightens up the whole image. It works especially well with renders that have a lot of textures in them like the one you just posted....ya know all that stone.

Great idea on the black sky too.

Marshian said:

Have you used that super-sampling method to cut down render time? I mean this should help > I dont know what kind of lighting you're using.

1. Double your (original) render size to 2048x2048
    2. Cut the max samples and max time in half, it will render in one hour
    3. Then bring into photo editing program and reduce the size back down to 1024x1024

This squishes the grain into a very fine powder so it becomes much much less noticeable- it tightens up the whole image. It works especially well with renders that have a lot of textures in them like the one you just posted....ya know all that stone.

Great idea on the black sky too.

Yes.. I know how to do this and have tried it with not much success with quick rendering times... :(

• EveniosEvenios Posts: 119

would be fun to have this for iray ;-)

Evenios said:

would be fun to have this for iray ;-)

The conversion is easy enough that it doesn't warrant an update or a new product.....just convert the surface of the prop to the Iray chrome.
  • EveniosEvenios Posts: 119

oh iray chrome? gotcha.

• I need help.

I have a scene that has a tunnle that I would like to attach a plane primitive to inorder to reflect the tunnle. I applied the surface shader to the plane primitive and can't get it to work. I am sure I am missing a step just not sure which one.

I need help.

I have a scene that has a tunnle that I would like to attach a plane primitive to inorder to reflect the tunnle. I applied the surface shader to the plane primitive and can't get it to work. I am sure I am missing a step just not sure which one.

Hi John, need more info.are u in 3dl or iray? Can you post a render?
  • 3DL. Basically its the little passage ways that I would like to have reflected surface behind.

stoa.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 670K

I dont know what is going on here as there doesn't appear to be any reflection. So it's not a scaling, render settings, or prop placement issue. All of the Kaleidoscope props load with the correct surfaces applied.

Oh wait, you said plane primitive- so you're not using Kaleidoscope correct? Could you send a screen cap of your surface settings next? Have you turned on/up the reflection channel? Other than that (since the area is small) you might be able to get away with applying a render to the diffuse channel of the plane, if you can get the angle correct.

let me know, standing by.

• Rendered a 12 hour Iray render using Kaleidoscope and I love the results. Has a nudity flag so I'll post a link to Deviant Art or Rendo once I get it uploaded. Thanks for this product Marshian  smiley

Hi Strixowl, You are welcome! I'd really love to see what you did with this set, especially in Iray. 

Strixowl said:

Rendered a 12 hour Iray render using Kaleidoscope and I love the results. Has a nudity flag so I'll post a link to Deviant Art or Rendo once I get it uploaded. Thanks for this product Marshian  smiley

• Well you sold me. I have been doing similiar effects by using plains going back to the very early days of 3D. Very clever to use diffrent geometry as it makes the process so much easier.

• Marshian said:

Hi Strixowl, You are welcome! I'd really love to see what you did with this set, especially in Iray. 

Strixowl said:

Rendered a 12 hour Iray render using Kaleidoscope and I love the results. Has a nudity flag so I'll post a link to Deviant Art or Rendo once I get it uploaded. Thanks for this product Marshian  smiley

Here's the link at Rendo (Flagged for Nudity):  https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/autumn-change/2643648/

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited September 2015

Hello again Marshian. I tried this same pic in the new Reality and got nothing but black past the tree. Tried a number of different materials with no success.

Post edited by Strixowl on
  • I just got Kaleidoscope and am very happy with it. However, I was hoping to do some iray work with it as well and read above the workaround is to apply iray chrome. Apparently there is no iray chrome anymore, as of 4.8. Is there a way to create or re-create chrome from other reflective metal shaders? So far I'm have no luck (but admittedly I've only just started on it).

edited October 2015
    Joe Webb said:

I just got Kaleidoscope and am very happy with it. However, I was hoping to do some iray work with it as well and read above the workaround is to apply iray chrome. Apparently there is no iray chrome anymore, as of 4.8. Is there a way to create or re-create chrome from other reflective metal shaders? So far I'm have no luck (but admittedly I've only just started on it).

I "think" it's "Metal - Aluminum - Polished" I now use for reflective surfaces, this seems to do the trick  for anything mirrorlike.

DancePracticeJPEG.jpg
    1080 x 1440 - 425K
    Post edited by KA1 on