Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited October 2016

3 Delilght for a change, picked up a Genesis werewolf by Raw that I love and it has LMAH hair so 3delight it was. However, I can't seem to get the shadows to show up for his feet and he looks like he is floating.  Ray traced shadows are on, his feet are solidly connected, any lower and he goes into the ground.  Slated for post work or I may add some fog in studio.

Do you have a Distant Light or a SpotLight in your scene? If you have only an Uberenvironment in your scene, changing the Shadow Type will probably not have a noticeable effect.

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    MN-150374 said:

3 Delilght for a change, picked up a Genesis werewolf by Raw that I love and it has LMAH hair so 3delight it was. However, I can't seem to get the shadows to show up for his feet and he looks like he is floating.  Ray traced shadows are on, his feet are solidly connected, any lower and he goes into the ground.  Slated for post work or I may add some fog in studio.

Do you have a Distant Light or a SpotLight in your scene? If you have only an Uberenvironment in your scene, changing the Shadow Type will probably not have a noticeable effect.

I will have to look and see.  Thank you! 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  Thanks very much for your vote.  I finally placed in the Carrara Challenge "Marriage".  Got enough votes to get HM placement... very cool.

My pleasure!  I voted honestly so you won on your own merit lol. Congratulations!

• Oh, shucks!  I missed the voting!  Arghh! I have too much stuff going on!  I was able to follow the thread for about halfway through the competition until everything went south with the computer and then other stuff.  I really wanted to vote, too.  Sigh.  :(

edited November 2016

A quick render of two of the early dragons I picked up in the sale.  Fork Horned and Hammer Tail.  3Delight - Will try them in Iray on the PC my poor laptop makes rendering in Iray a bit of a chore lol.  It can do it, it just doesn't like it.  I just wanted to see what the textures looked like and how easy or difficult they would be to pose.  Surprisingly, there are a quite a lot of movable parts. 

Fork Horned Dragon Hammer Tail Dragon.jpg
    2040 x 2040 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • I am so excited!!  This render, done in Bryce won the best new Bryce render. I am just blown away. 

Hi Icedragon! Can you use the things that you made in Bryce as an environment or background in Daz? Great work by the way! And is Bryce a worth it product? :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I am so excited!!  This render, done in Bryce won the best new Bryce render. I am just blown away. 

Hi Icedragon! Can you use the things that you made in Bryce as an environment or background in Daz? Great work by the way! And is Bryce a worth it product? :)

Come over to the Bryce forum and see what we do.    As IceDragon found out we have a render Challenge, and we do give a special prize for the best new Brycer if there is one in the challenge that time..  We have a long running Bryce render thread , the current iteration has 96 pages of Bryce Art, and there are 8 previous iterations, as threads are replaced at 100 pages. Clicking on my image banner below my post should take you straight to the Bryce Forum.

Yes, Bryce is a great program.  And yes you can use the renders you make in Bryce as backgrounds for Studio.  Like anything, it has a bit of a learning curve but the folks on the Bryce thread are super helpful.  You can port things into Bryce from studio as well and do whole scenes there also.  Wish I had more time in the day, I would love to do more with Bryce.

edited November 2016

This one Waverly (Genesis).  I've had this idea for a while, however, I could not get the pose I wanted no matter what I tried.  I might have to try it with a different generation figure, its just looked too stiff.  The original idea is a nude as well.  Obviously, I can't post that here but will put it up on my Deviant Art page as soon as it finishes rendering.

Waverly Bath.png
    1011 x 1636 - 3M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

How long has it been since you used your randemizer Sonja?

I was really enjoying the beautiful morphs that came out of it.

Couple of months now. Was just thinking about doing another soon lol!  Great minds think alike!

Couple of months now. Was just thinking about doing another soon lol!  Great minds think alike!

Oh great I sure can't wait to see the new Charactors you create with it!!!!!

• Yes, Bryce is a great program.  And yes you can use the renders you make in Bryce as backgrounds for Studio.  Like anything, it has a bit of a learning curve but the folks on the Bryce thread are super helpful.  You can port things into Bryce from studio as well and do whole scenes there also.  Wish I had more time in the day, I would love to do more with Bryce.

when you use Bryce in Daz does it also have the lights of the sunlight? I mean is it going to be like terradome in which the environment is in a dome with the a "sunlight"? :)

Yes, Bryce is a great program.  And yes you can use the renders you make in Bryce as backgrounds for Studio.  Like anything, it has a bit of a learning curve but the folks on the Bryce thread are super helpful.  You can port things into Bryce from studio as well and do whole scenes there also.  Wish I had more time in the day, I would love to do more with Bryce.

when you use Bryce in Daz does it also have the lights of the sunlight? I mean is it going to be like terradome in which the environment is in a dome with the a "sunlight"? :)

No

Chohole said:

No

Sorry,  I should amplify that.    THe bridge was really made so that you could set your figures etc up in DS and then move them into a Bryce environement to make the image.  The bridge works in both directions to allow you to take the figures back to DS and tweak them if neccessary. It is possible to export some of the Bryce native stuff to DS with varying degress of success, but not the atmospheric parts.

edited November 2016

One more with Waverly for Genesis.  I really like this character especially once I applied the Anagenessis 2 for Iray.

Fall Waverly.png
    1011 x 1636 - 2M

She is so beautiful Icedragon buttttt....I just noticed her coat trim is poking through her hand not sure if you noticed that or not just thought I would point it out.laugh

Nope didn't see it thanks!

edited November 2016

Just had to show how BIG Blenworth is.  Part of the Build Your Own Bundle.  This is very nice.  Especially for .22.

Blenworth.png
    2000 x 1600 - 6M

Wow that is sure one big castle!!!!

edited November 2016

So I finally had a chance to open Carrara and try and find my way around.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would, it is kind of intuitive, and I am going to be watching a lot of video I think before I am remotely close to being competent.  But, I am very excited about the modelling portion of this program and I love that you can just do it all in one program. I have no idea why the reef has those weird geometric shapes that is NOT what it looks like lol.  I didn't do anything to it (I think) other than plop it in the scene so no idea what's happening there.  And I am still trying to figure out the materials room and how to browse to get to my library of 2d textures and how to apply them.  The eyes are really bugging me lol.  Also not sure how to do water that isn't just  a plane, when I hit ocean its pretty much a thin plane of water.  Not any depth to it at all and of course, I don't know how to change it.  So this is a top down view.  I'm sure I will figure it out though.

First Carrara Render.png
    2065 x 1549 - 1M
  • Hey, Sonja, that's a pretty good start.  More than I've managed to do yet.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to fire it up and play with it over the weekend.  Is water part of the Carrara Seas or something else?

It was under terrain I think and it just said ocean.  I have NO idea what I am doing lolol.  But I am pleasantly surprised so far.  Its much better than the first time I tried it.

edited November 2016

I was going for a sadness, waiting, weary kind of vibe on this one.  Just another quick one, I am going to be done shopping as soon as this pc+ sale ends except for a very few things I am waiting for from specific vendors. I am back to working testing everything I have and am trying to pull one character, one set of clothes, one hair and one scene prop that I haven't used yet and putting something together to see what they look like.  Most of this is fairly old stuff.  The dress is the Pharoahs of the Sun dress (PHOTS) with one of the its textures applied.

Sadness.png
    1276 x 2065 - 4M
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  For water or ocean try peeking in one of the past challenges.  The first I have an underwater entry in but no surface... I dove too deep. :)  If the strange looking reef is from a DAZ file it could be missing a texture map to make it look like it should. Did you load it in as the actual file or from a scene file? You can look in the Texture room to see what Shader(s) is/are missing.

For an Ocean there is an icon about midway in icon bar... looks like a cloud with 3 little waves on top.  Carrara Realistic Seas is an additional product by PhilW, Phil Wilkes which adds more realism to an Ocean.  In the Fire&Water Challenge I used a simple plane with an Ocean shader... didn't look very good since I had no way to control any waves... I could see the bottom of a crater through it's surface though.  Oh... Dartanbeck has his "Carrara EnvironKit - Underwater Realms" product that looks pretty cool.

Carrara Challenge 24: Under the Sea or Out of the Box   WIP thread   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/78481/carrara-challenge-24-under-the-sea-or-out-of-the-box-wip-thread/p1

Carrara Challenge 26: Nautical and Caustics  WIP thread  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/97101/carrara-challenge-26-caustics-and-nautical#latest

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

RE: water in Carrara.  I agree with wgdjohn on the two challenge threads he linked to.

Also, just for finding where some basic tools are, I have a thread with some screenshots for loading and rendring a first Carrara scene, including rendering the multi-pass images that can help post work.  Not as good as the videos by the real tutors, but might be useful to not feel completely lost.  Later posts have gotten cluttered with anything I might want to add, but the first couple pages of the thread might be helpful if you are unfamilar with Carrara's interface.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/119181/no-one-asked-me-diomede-posts-screenshots-on-whatever/p1

Thank you both very much!  I actually have those products wishlisted already lol.  I will go check out those out and give the screenshot directions a try.

edited November 2016

Novica is doing render a vender feature on her thread and I am joining in.  Please feel free to participate as well. The vendor is Marshian, if you have some of his stuff and have renders please share!  Here or there is fine.  This is Illumbrella.  I loved this the moment I saw it.  There is a lot more to it than this simple render and its easy to use as well.  Check out the product page for more details and ideas on how to use this.

Stained Glass.png
    902 x 1276 - 1M

MelanieL said:

Here's a contribution to your Marshian show: these (oldish) renders use his Kaleidoscope product.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

ETA: I made these when I first bought the Kaleidoscope and intended to make a lot more images, but my experiments stalled when I encountered a bug in 3Delight rendering involving reflections (and actually shadows too) of instances of high resolution models. I raised a bug report (which still hasn't been closed) then kind of lost interest for a while. I really should have another go - the product works perfectly well for non-instanced models. I wonder if it can be made to work with Iray? Hmmm...

You might check his thread on this there was a discussion on it a couple of weeks ago.  If I remember correctly the answer was yes, but I would read through the last page or two cause I don't remember exactly what was said.  I will try and track it down and add a link.

This discussion has been closed.