Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• Just checking in.  Sonja, you've been busy!  :)  

I know she just kind of eased her head right between the pillars lol.  You are right, her stomach is too firm especially for someone who is centuries old.  I will see what I can do about that.  I think I might have the soft body effects (I really really have far too much stuff.) I need to systematically try everything out so I remember what I have.  Once I have used it I tend to remember it.  Is there anything that will compress the couch itself?  I can't remember if there is something like that available....

I can't believe I'm asking like I don't already have enough stuff, but what the heck are soft body effects?

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

Just checking in.  Sonja, you've been busy!  :)  

I know she just kind of eased her head right between the pillars lol.  You are right, her stomach is too firm especially for someone who is centuries old.  I will see what I can do about that.  I think I might have the soft body effects (I really really have far too much stuff.) I need to systematically try everything out so I remember what I have.  Once I have used it I tend to remember it.  Is there anything that will compress the couch itself?  I can't remember if there is something like that available....

I can't believe I'm asking like I don't already have enough stuff, but what the heck are soft body effects?

Thought I'd help. :)   See i13 SQUISH Soft Body Effect Morphs these are for G2F... i13 has done the same for G3F. Both fix the problem of a figue sitting or laying on belly so that where contact to floor etc. the body squishs for realism. Neither are on sale at the moment.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • wgdjohn said:

Just checking in.  Sonja, you've been busy!  :)  

Thought I'd help. :)   See i13 SQUISH Soft Body Effect Morphs these are for G2F... i13 has done the same for G3F. Both fix the problem of a figue sitting or laying on belly so that where contact to floor etc. the body squishs for realism. Neither are on sale at the moment.

ah, okay.  I do have those.  I just never think of the soft body part.  When they come to mind, I remember the Squish part.  Thanks!  I was thinking I had forgotten to buy a must need product!  :)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

This is another good one:   http://www.daz3d.com/belly-control-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-v6           ; They don't have one for Genesis 3 yet.

But also check the belly options in your aging morphs package.  You can give her just a small amount of belly pooch, but the sagging skin will really tell the tale of her age if she is not fat.  Same with her arms - they are pretty firm.  I would expect for someone who is 80-ish to have some upper arm jiggle.

• dracorn said:

This is another good one:   http://www.daz3d.com/belly-control-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-v6           ; They don't have one for Genesis 3 yet.

But also check the belly options in your aging morphs package.  You can give her just a small amount of belly pooch, but the sagging skin will really tell the tale of her age if she is not fat.  Same with her arms - they are pretty firm.  I would expect for someone who is 80-ish to have some upper arm jiggle.

I'm not sure why the link isn't working, but it goes to a 404 page.

Yeah, I would expect someone that age to jiggle a little more, too.  I don't have much issue with the saggy skin ( not that I'm that old), but the jiggles, I've plenty of and I imagine it only gets worse with age!  ;)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thankfully I don't have much of either yet but its a heck of a lot more work to keep it that way than it used to be!

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    dracorn said:

I'm not sure why the link isn't working, but it goes to a 404 page.

There are a bunch of spaces at the end of that link.  Take them out, and the link works fine.

http://www.daz3d.com/belly-control-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-v6

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Sorry 'bout that.  I should have hit the return key before typing some more.

• dracorn said:

Sorry 'bout that.  I should have hit the return key before typing some more.

Easily happens to all of us!  :)

I've added that to the wishlist looks useful as well thanks!

edited October 2016

Back to some character and item testing. 

This is Echo with Iggy Hair and J Skirt Dress.  Hivewire cat with black leopard skin. I used Folly for the set, for some reason I just really like this set its a great prop for modern or mediaval.  Probably not so much for sci fi.  Iray render straight out of the box all I really did was convert the materials via the basic shader.  I want to redo and use one of the products I have to optimize the skin and see if makes her skin less smooth and more realistic. There is one spot where I just could not get the tiny bit of skirt from coming through her leg and will have to fix that in post work if I decide to take this any further.  Also for some reason the materials for the square nails were not applying at all no matter what I did and the Hemavati Jewels materials were also not applying to the large ring.  I did the ring with other shaders and left the nails alone as you can't really see them anyway but I may turn in a bug report because the materials for the jewelry are truly beautiful and I would like to use them

Quiet.png
    1261 x 2040 - 4M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

You are quite right about the skin... that was the first thing I noticed that didn't look that great. Nice pose and render. Tell me did you use depth of field? The brick wall and column loo a bit fuzzy??

• Hmm, I have Echo, but I don't think I've rendered her yet.  The skin kind of has a painted quality instead of realistic.  I'm not sure if different lighting will help.  It looks like you may have to fiddle with the surface settings a little more.  Sometimes the conversion doesn't do the best with skin.  I'm not sure if there is a product to help with Genesis skins, but you could try moving the skin up a generation and use one of the skin conversion products for G2 if you have one and see if it makes a difference and then use the same settings for Genesis.  Seems like a rather convoluted way of doing it, but I don't have any other suggestions.  

wgdjohn said:

You are quite right about the skin... that was the first thing I noticed that didn't look that great. Nice pose and render. Tell me did you use depth of field? The brick wall and column loo a bit fuzzy??

Yes this one has depth of field, a pretty narrow one

Hmm, I have Echo, but I don't think I've rendered her yet.  The skin kind of has a painted quality instead of realistic.  I'm not sure if different lighting will help.  It looks like you may have to fiddle with the surface settings a little more.  Sometimes the conversion doesn't do the best with skin.  I'm not sure if there is a product to help with Genesis skins, but you could try moving the skin up a generation and use one of the skin conversion products for G2 if you have one and see if it makes a difference and then use the same settings for Genesis.  Seems like a rather convoluted way of doing it, but I don't have any other suggestions.  

I do have one I can try but not sure if its going to be worth the effort lol.  I may just use her to render in 3Delight, its not like I don't have more than enough characters I can use in Iray....

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Her foot looks more solidly on the ground than the feet of the bench. I wonder why that is? I like it, though. I even kind of like the painterly skin. What sorts of things do you use for skin improvement? I've looked at a few and been unconvinced by the promo pictures.

Sonja,  Perhaps the foot could have only the heel touching the ground with toes end pointing up perhaps even curled up a bit as if wriggling little toes as Echo sits and ponders/daydreams? Might twist at heel joint about 45 or less degrees. Good call dreamfarmer.

Regarding skin... perhaps even run the pic through post.. a last resort for me... I take too long in post.

Hope you don't mind my goofy suggestions.

Her foot looks more solidly on the ground than the feet of the bench. I wonder why that is? I like it, though. I even kind of like the painterly skin. What sorts of things do you use for skin improvement? I've looked at a few and been unconvinced by the promo pictures.

I have no idea why the feet look like that, the bench is preloaded so it should be where its supposed to be lol. 

Skin products : These are the ones that I have for converting to Iray.  I haven't really had a chance to try them out much so now might be a good time to see how and how well they work.  Will let you know as soon as I can.

wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  Perhaps the foot could have only the heel touching the ground with toes end pointing up perhaps even curled up a bit as if wriggling little toes as Echo sits and ponders/daydreams? Might twist at heel joint about 45 or less degrees. Good call dreamfarmer.

Regarding skin... perhaps even run the pic through post.. a last resort for me... I take too long in post.

Hope you don't mind my goofy suggestions.

Don't mind at all I always welcome feedback and suggestions.  I think I originally had something like that but then ran into issues with the dress doing funky things under her thigh.  but if I'm going to post work that little bit then I might as well put the foot back and just deal with the dress in post.  I love postwork its one of my favorite parts of the process.  But it can easily add several hours or more to a project.

edited October 2016

Addding hours is why I stay away from it.... I even created a 3D font "WGD" and date for renders in the last Carrara Challenge... so that I could just go in and adjust shaders to kinda blend with each scene.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited October 2016

So using the Iray converter seems to help the skin a bit.  Echo again with the Iray converter for Genesis, option 3 selected

50's Diner.png
    988 x 988 - 2M
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited October 2016

Other then the horizon devil you did a fabulous job with Farmyard.  Really great renders yes

Post edited by AJ2112 on

Thanks!  The farmyard was a quick test and apparently terra dome 3 needs to have the closer part of the set to avoid the horizon line.  Since it was just a quick test I didn't bother fixing.

• DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258

I really like The Destroyer. Gives the impression it's just been kicked outta heaven.   

Ice Dragon,  Where is the contest?   Is "The Destroyer" the image with lightining and fiire in bkg?  Looks cool.

Contest is here

I think that is what they are talking about but not sure, since I named it Elemental.  And thank you I was very happy with that particular image.

Sonja that is the WIP thread... will all final entries be tacked onto the end to see just them or to an Entry thread?  I did look through everything... some incredible stuff.

No right under that thread is the Entry thread for just the entries.  You can find it here. There are a couple in the entry thread that are not in the WIP thread as well.

edited October 2016

3 Delilght for a change, picked up a Genesis werewolf by Raw that I love and it has LMAH hair so 3delight it was. However, I can't seem to get the shadows to show up for his feet and he looks like he is floating.  Ray traced shadows are on, his feet are solidly connected, any lower and he goes into the ground.  Slated for post work or I may add some fog in studio.

Blood Moons.png
    2045 x 1636 - 5M
    edited October 2016

Added some fog and like it a bit better.  Still want to do some post work but not tonight, its late and I need to go to bed lol

Blood Moons 2.png
    2045 x 1636 - 5M
This discussion has been closed.