Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited October 2016

Pretty happy with the evolution of this method.

Interestingly, I'm finding that it's faster/easier to do the shading image in Iray than in 3DL; a quick shaded Iray thing might take only 10 minutes.

Part of the issue is, of course, 3DL is either completely done or not, while Iray gives you a bit more flexibility on when to stop it, and the general look of the entire image is more uniformly 'done.'

Warrior Sketch1.png
    1747 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited October 2016

More experiments. I'm finding myself branching into a vaguely impressionist painting style (which mostly appeals to myself and won't likely go anywhere beyond that), and a more sketchy illustration style, which I find appealing but also is potentially the one style I have that might turn into some (minor) freelance work.

Lake chat sketch1.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Lake chat sketch2.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I had a lot of fun with this one. I used several filters in the Nik Collection and a couple built-in Photoshop filters as well as some hand drawn bits. I kind of like how it came out. I almost wish I had a good printer so I could print it out and put it on my wall - I think it has a little bit of a "classical art" feel to it. 

This came out lovely. I'd love to know your process, or even a mini tutorial would be awesome.

As far as a good printer, it's not so much the printer as the paper. I sell prints of my artwork with a regular ink jet. All you need is a good brand of watercolor paper that fits the printer. If you'd like a link to what I buy, send me a PM .:D

AW

This is gorgeous!

• I've mostly been using Filter Forge for texture generation, but thought I'd give it a try for effects...

I'm in love with this crystal ball illustration! Stunning work, and very appropriate for the season.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2016

Looks like a comic book....

I'm also very taken with the space image. The use of blue was very refreshing and pleasing. I did a piece a few years back that looks like it would fit in with this scene, at least in a general sort of way.

I hadn't posted this one to Daz yet because I did the base renders with Strata 3D and then did the post work in Photoshop. And this was an illustration for the Role Playing Game, GALAXY PRIME, which was published by Epic Age Media.

Space Battle

Space_Battles.jpg
    900 x 720 - 66K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Pretty happy with the evolution of this method.

Interestingly, I'm finding that it's faster/easier to do the shading image in Iray than in 3DL; a quick shaded Iray thing might take only 10 minutes.

Part of the issue is, of course, 3DL is either completely done or not, while Iray gives you a bit more flexibility on when to stop it, and the general look of the entire image is more uniformly 'done.'

I have also found the same to be true -- with Iray I can stop when it's "good enough," especially since my post work destroys a lot of the details that are generated in the final Iray render passes, anyway. Nice work -- even though I don't always comment, I do enjoy reading the details about your techniques and processes.
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited October 2016

There's fundamental lighting errors but I was trying to resist taking yet another excuse to avoid Photoshop.

Right Of Way.png
    498 x 700 - 926K
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on

Newest...

D&D theme lately. Heh

cleric.png
    900 x 1080 - 543K
    edited October 2016

More experimenting with Nik Filters. Oh, and the Oil Paint filter, which was magically unlocked to me by updating my gfx card drivers. Maybe Daz will stop crashing on Iray renders now too....

cottage in the woods 5.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited October 2016

playing around with Hitfilm express compositing/ chromakey/layering with blend filters of my photorealistic and line renders

all using both Carrara native render engines

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    ToeJam said:

playing around with Hitfilm express compositing/ chromakey/layering with blend filters of my photorealistic and line renders

all using both Carrara native render engines

Way cool! :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

TY FW

I took the idea from others earlier suggesting how to use the Linerender9000 product in animation with layers and applied it to my renders using Carrara NPR..

Whoa. Ok, I'm REALLY digging the oil painting filter.

Lake chat oil.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

It's a lot of fun with Viveza 2, as somebody mentioned above (I think).

• tgracetgrace Posts: 48
    edited October 2016

I've begun a new graphic novel project that I hope to have finished in time to launch right after the 5th and final issue of The Locksmith

I'm using Daz3D as the jumping off point for most of the illustrations in Spanish Moss and so far am quite happy with the results. Halloween is just around the corner and so here is page 24 of what will probably be around 160... And a panel from an earlier page.

Spanish Moss

Post edited by tgrace on
  • tgrace said:

I've begun a new graphic novel project that I hope to have finished in time to launch right after the 5th and final issue of The Locksmith

I'm using Daz3D as the jumping off point for most of the illustrations in Spanish Moss and so far am quite happy with the results. Halloween is just around the corner and so here is page 24 of what will probably be around 160... And a panel from an earlier page.

I'm VERY impressed by this. I would love to see it again with the text added, to see how you're integrating it into such tightly composed panels. The water color effect is perfect for the Halloween season.

And 160 pages? VERY ambitious. How much time did it take you to complete this page?

• There's fundamental lighting errors but I was trying to resist taking yet another excuse to avoid Photoshop.

The lighting isn't perfect, but it's still pretty good. This looks a lot like a certain style of watercolor art that frequented fantasy book covers back in the 1980s. VERY nicely done.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2016

Another page from the comic project I'm working on. As before, I'm using a variety of Daz products in Poser 11. I'm really liking the clean lines I can get with its Comic Book Preview rendering. Post work and composition was handled in Manga Studio 5. For this page, I switched the font to Blambot Casual. I had to make a few modifications (i.e. hand-tweaking some of the letters) to get the general look I want, but so far it's pretty good -- if a little wide. All thoughts and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

MW_HM_page04-900px-(10-22-2016).jpg
    900 x 1391 - 244K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

That looks really cool!  I've been pondering the Poser Upgrade sale...do you have a workflow you can share from Daz to Poser?

The last dialog made me laugh...  cheeky

• tgracetgrace Posts: 48
    tgrace said:
    I'm VERY impressed by this. I would love to see it again with the text added, to see how you're integrating it into such tightly composed panels. The water color effect is perfect for the Halloween season.

And 160 pages? VERY ambitious. How much time did it take you to complete this page?

Thank you. I'll post an update with dialogue added, soon. There's not much on this page so I should be ok with space. This was probably a full day's work if you include creating the space, lighting, character design and then all the post work. It's probably another 1 1/2 years before The Locksmith #5 final issue is completed so I'm hoping Spanish Moss can follow right on its heels.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Another page from the comic project I'm working on.

This is quite stunning! It has no suggestion it's rendered, let alone that it's in any way processed or filtered. Looks completely hand-drawn.

I'm a longtime Poser and have been wanting that cartoon render. I have 10 Pro (2014), but haven't gotten Poser 11 yet. This week, they sent an email blast announcing all upgrades are just $99. I'm going through all my jeans pockets looking for loose change so I can get it!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    tgrace said:

Spanish Moss

Wow! That's gorgeous!!!

•  

tgrace said:

Spanish Moss

Very well done!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2016

Talk about filters in another thread got me thinking...

Done in GIMP with G'MIC...

The first is a watercolor layer mixed with the 'base' image.  The second is a straight charcoal.

oaktree_7bgmic.png
    1250 x 1000 - 3M
    twomagicians_charcoal.png
    1600 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited October 2016

Another page from the comic project I'm working on. As before, I'm using a variety of Daz products in Poser 11. I'm really liking the clean lines I can get with its Comic Book Preview rendering. Post work and composition was handled in Manga Studio 5. For this page, I switched the font to Blambot Casual. I had to make a few modifications (i.e. hand-tweaking some of the letters) to get the general look I want, but so far it's pretty good -- if a little wide. All thoughts and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

tgrace said:

Spanish Moss

mjc1016 said:

Talk about filters in another thread got me thinking...

Done in GIMP with G'MIC...

The first is a watercolor layer mixed with the 'base' image.  The second is a straight charcoal.

Lots of cool stuff posted! Love to see people rendering out multiple render passes, filtering & combining. It's also nice to see some excellent finshed work, mmitchell_houston & tgrace.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
    edited October 2016

Let's get some Halloween renders going, eh? 

There's been tons of great horror stuff ripe for the picking lately - finally grabbed a suitable partner for Nosferatu in Sachra:

http://www.daz3d.com/birth-of-the-wicked-bundle

These two are probably my favorite G3 characters to date. Decided to take a much needed break from coding tonight to do a "new acquisition" render in honor of Diva. Vlad pulled an oldie out of his closet for the occasion:

http://www.daz3d.com/beowulf

Who says M3 clothes are out of style? It's got a little Saturday Night Fever vibe to it - woot! I suppose I could have put him in some heels because I did wind up scaling him up a bit lol.

As usual, I spent more time than I probably should have posing these two, but it was a fun excercise. She's trying to keep her tail down (that happens involuntarily sometimes). There are some problems with her hair, but I'll have to come back to it another time. Anyway, they make a cute couple, don't they?

Anybody snag Lavinia the Vampire Queen? I'd love to see some NPRs of her, or any Halloween/Horror themed NPRs if you got 'em!

- Greg

ink-800.png
    800 x 800 - 630K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Greg...

That last one needs a sound track...

Itzahk Perlman's performance of Por una Cabeza kind of springs to mind.

edited October 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Greg...

That last one needs a sound track...

Itzahk Perlman's performance of Por una Cabeza kind of springs to mind.

That would fit perfectly - excellent choice!

For those unfamiliar, here's a link to what MJC is talking about:

ETA: start at about the 32s mark (the embedding is ignoring the start time in the link)

- Greg

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

Back from the shadows with some character concepts. I dedicated my time and effort in establishing a long script and revising it for my first Graphic Novel. As I finish the final revised and have it copyright, The fun part will begin!

Andrea pinup pose.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 331K
    Am-heh the Alchemist.jpg
    1250 x 1618 - 257K
    Yusra now free spirit.png
    1250 x 1618 - 2M
    Ushabti concept.png
    1200 x 1553 - 712K
    Ushabti weaver concept art.jpg
    1250 x 1618 - 335K
    ushabti scribe.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 200K
    yusra character concept.png
    1250 x 1618 - 2M
  • Let's get some Halloween renders going, eh? 

There's been tons of great horror stuff ripe for the picking lately - finally grabbed a suitable partner for Nosferatu in Sachra:

http://www.daz3d.com/birth-of-the-wicked-bundle

These two are probably my favorite G3 characters to date. Decided to take a much needed break from coding tonight to do a "new acquisition" render in honor of Diva. Vlad pulled an oldie out of his closet for the occasion:

http://www.daz3d.com/beowulf

Who says M3 clothes are out of style? It's got a little Saturday Night Fever vibe to it - woot! I suppose I could have put him in some heels because I did wind up scaling him up a bit lol.

As usual, I spent more time than I probably should have posing these two, but it was a fun excercise. She's trying to keep her tail down (that happens involuntarily sometimes). There are some problems with her hair, but I'll have to come back to it another time. Anyway, they make a cute couple, don't they?

Anybody snag Lavinia the Vampire Queen? I'd love to see some NPRs of her, or any Halloween/Horror themed NPRs if you got 'em!

- Greg

The time you spent posing them was worth it! I always struggle with getting my figures to look like they are actually standing close to each other and interacting, and you nailed it. I really like the sublte coloring you chose. Struggling to find a suggestion to imrpove it, and the only one I can find out be to shorten her horn just a smidge so it's not poking him in the head. Just a tiny bit of space between the two figures would solve that, though. GREAT WORK.

This discussion has been closed.