October 2016 New User Contest - Atmosphere (WIP Thread)

Comments

• dracorn said:

Here's a new idea in the spirit of the month. Might call it "Cyber Thriller" if I go with it.

Your image is a little dark on my monitor but I love the concept.

Here's version b. I was listening to to the song last night and it hit me.

I love it!  Great concept!

Beautiful copper coloring as well.  Since it's monochromatic, you can add some interest by changing the color of their eyes - I would suggest green or blue to complement the red/copper.

I have to ask - what was the song you were listening to?  I.e., what are they dancing to?

Thriller by the late Micheal Jackson.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    dawnblade said:

@Linwelly, I used Ron's Brushes in Photoshop for the magic effects, screaming head and fog. Lights, DOF and shadows are in DS.

Thanks for the information dawnblade. I would like to encourage you to try getting the atmosphere done within the render, not in postwork. I said it before, there is nothing wrong with postwork but the topic of the contest is about getting it done in DS. Now there is an easy way to work with that: put your brushwork on a black background and save that, then load a primitive plane into your scene and load the effect image into the opacitiy channel ( translucency for Iray) of that plane, size  and place it around your character and hit the render button. I#m pretty sure it will fuse more naturally with your character.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:

@Linwelly, I used Ron's Brushes in Photoshop for the magic effects, screaming head and fog. Lights, DOF and shadows are in DS.

Thanks for the information dawnblade. I would like to encourage you to try getting the atmosphere done within the render, not in postwork. I said it before, there is nothing wrong with postwork but the topic of the contest is about getting it done in DS. Now there is an easy way to work with that: put your brushwork on a black background and save that, then load a primitive plane into your scene and load the effect image into the opacitiy channel ( translucency for Iray) of that plane, size  and place it around your character and hit the render button. I#m pretty sure it will fuse more naturally with your character.

Thanks @Linwelly for that tip. I'm currently reworking the fog in the scene using Jepe's SteamZ for DS. Do you think that will sufficiently fulfill the atmosphere requirement for the contest? The magic effects and beast's head aren't considered atmosphere, are they?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Linwelly said:

Here is another idea I had using Daz Studio rendering in IRay (Only got to 75% so still pixeled) no postwork.

Saphirewild, there are two things I would advise to check, for one if your people are standing on the ground, and if they do to check if you have a heavy shadow bias (not sure if that is the same in Iray though). I'm not sure where you want to go with that glowy stuff behind the mummy guy, so I'll wait for the next alteration.

I was doing the tutorial from SY about dust and atmosphire in IRay. I was trying to set the mood comming from upstairs to the CELLER!!!!

I am going to work on it again tomorrow as we have company tonite

EDITED TO ADD: HIM and HER are grounded not sure why the shadows went everywhere in IRay.

Linwelly said:

I was doing the tutorial from SY about dust and atmosphire in IRay. I was trying to set the mood comming from upstairs to the CELLER!!!!

EDITED TO ADD: HIM and HER are grounded not sure why the shadows went everywhere in IRay.

then look if there is a shadowbias in your lights, though I don't know how and where to find that in Iray

Iray is a reality based renderer.  As far as I know all lights in Iray will throw shadows.  This cannot be turned off like in 3Delight. 

Perhaps changing the intensity of some of the lights might help?

edited October 2016

dracorn said:

This is beautiful!  I can see a ship coming in to land on the far platform.

Thanks @dracorn.

I did consider sticking with a sci fi theme, but from the beginning I envisioned something like this.  Still needs work.  Poke-through is a problem I have no experience with in Cararra.

I do not have Carrara but here is a thread on dealing with Poke Through.  Hopefully it will help.

I love the juxtaposition of the sci-fi with the dragons.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Linwelly said:

Here is another idea I had using Daz Studio rendering in IRay (Only got to 75% so still pixeled) no postwork.

Saphirewild, there are two things I would advise to check, for one if your people are standing on the ground, and if they do to check if you have a heavy shadow bias (not sure if that is the same in Iray though). I'm not sure where you want to go with that glowy stuff behind the mummy guy, so I'll wait for the next alteration.

Linwelly said:

then look if there is a shadowbias in your lights, though I don't know how and where to find that in Iray

Iray is a reality based renderer.  As far as I know all lights in Iray will throw shadows.  This cannot be turned off like in 3Delight. 

I have done that with this next version which I will post as soon as I get a chance to render it (I am in the middle of a render for another contest)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

I have done that with this next version which I will post as soon as I get a chance to render it (I am in the middle of a render for another contest)

You keep so busy, Saphirewild.  How do you have time for all this?

dracorn said:

Here's a new idea in the spirit of the month. Might call it "Cyber Thriller" if I go with it.

Beautiful copper coloring as well.  Since it's monochromatic, you can add some interest by changing the color of their eyes - I would suggest green or blue to complement the red/copper.

I have to ask - what was the song you were listening to?  I.e., what are they dancing to?

Yep!  I can hear it as I look at the render.  I love it!

• dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Glad to read that dracorn. How's this for version c?

oct2016-7c.png
    1023 x 632 - 975K
    dawnblade said:
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:

Thanks @Linwelly for that tip. I'm currently reworking the fog in the scene using Jepe's SteamZ for DS. Do you think that will sufficiently fulfill the atmosphere requirement for the contest? The magic effects and beast's head aren't considered atmosphere, are they?

If you manage to work up a nice fog in your scene all requirements are perfectly matched laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2016

Thought I would try another.  This one is 3Delight. I want to play around with the positioning of the tentacles yet this is just the general idea.

Thought I would try another.  This one is 3Delight.

No Swimmng.png
    2040 x 1632 - 4M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Shinji, I really like where you ventured with this one, and yes the music is in there. The green for the eyes works very good. There just one suggestion: to alter the camera postition enough that the foot of the robot in front is not cut off. just placing the camera a tad lower should do the job, as there is enough free space over their heads.

edited October 2016
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:

If you manage to work up a nice fog in your scene all requirements are perfectly matched laugh

Great @Linwelly! I did try your method with the glow around the ball of the staff.  I added the glow image as .jpg to the Opacity Strength property for the plane. It showed in the viewport as white. When I rendered, all the vibrant colors came out very pale, even at a scale of 200%. The glow is barely visible.

I then added the image to Diffuse Color property of the plane too. At least in the viewport I could see colors of the glow, but not much difference resulted in the render. Still barely visible. I don't know what else to try.

Render #1.

Render #2.

Image I used in plane.

StaffEffectsResults1.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 595K
    StaffEffectsResults2.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 595K
    StaffEffects.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 51K
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    dracorn said:
    Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

You keep so busy, Saphirewild.  How do you have time for all this?

I pace myself, that is the only way to work it all out (in my head at least) giggles

But seriously I have no life lately, not much to do in the fall to cold to do most things.

dawnblade said:
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:
    Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:

Great @Linwelly! I did try your method with the glow around the ball of the staff.  I added the glow image as .jpg to the Opacity Strength property for the plane. It showed in the viewport as white. When I rendered, all the vibrant colors came out very pale, even at a scale of 200%. The glow is barely visible.

I then added the image to Diffuse Color property of the plane too. At least in the viewport I could see colors of the glow, but not much difference resulted in the render. Still barely visible. I don't know what else to try.

Render #1.

Render #2.

Image I used in plane.

I had to check back but you are actually using 3DL, so I can give a useful hint with this. I understand that you dialed up the opacity channel to 200% (or the diffuse)? You can reduce that one down to 100% back again (both). And for easier handling you could use smaller panels for smaller efects like that glow.

Now what will really help you is to dial up the ambient. As you got a coulour aleady in the jpg, you can use plain white for the ambient channel, in some cases you can use a greyscal (white for the effect that should be most prominent) as the jpg for the opacity and choose the colour the effect will be in with the ambietn colour. So depending on how strong you want the effect you can dial the ambient up to 500 and even more. For most things 300 will be enough though. ( Put the specular to white was well). Sometimes it makes a difference to put the image into the other chanels but mostly not. Its a bit  try and test here.

I can see this will come out nice!

Thought I would try another.  This one is 3Delight. I want to play around with the positioning of the tentacles yet this is just the general idea.

Thought I would try another.  This one is 3Delight.

I like where this is going already.  Love the sign.

• Linwelly said:
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Shinji, I really like where you ventured with this one, and yes the music is in there. The green for the eyes works very good. There just one suggestion: to alter the camera postition enough that the foot of the robot in front is not cut off. just placing the camera a tad lower should do the job, as there is enough free space over their heads.

Version d up on this one. The only thing that I might do with this is add some more node instances of the origional. (That's how I got them to be in sync with each other.)

oct2016-7d.png
    1023 x 632 - 978K
    Linwelly said:

I had to check back but you are actually using 3DL, so I can give a useful hint with this. I understand that you dialed up the opacity channel to 200% (or the diffuse)? You can reduce that one down to 100% back again (both). And for easier handling you could use smaller panels for smaller efects like that glow.

Now what will really help you is to dial up the ambient. As you got a coulour aleady in the jpg, you can use plain white for the ambient channel, in some cases you can use a greyscal (white for the effect that should be most prominent) as the jpg for the opacity and choose the colour the effect will be in with the ambietn colour. So depending on how strong you want the effect you can dial the ambient up to 500 and even more. For most things 300 will be enough though. ( Put the specular to white was well). Sometimes it makes a difference to put the image into the other chanels but mostly not. Its a bit  try and test here.

Thanks for your help, @Linwelly! I'll work on it tomorrow and post the results.

Linwelly said:
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Version d up on this one. The only thing that I might do with this is add some more node instances of the origional. (That's how I got them to be in sync with each other.)

Oh yeah! The green eyes look great! They really pop. The new camera angle is much better too.
    Linwelly said:

OK, many attempts today to get the glow around the staff's ball, but here is what I have using an image in a smaller plane's surface.

Below are the surface properties I adjusted. Hopefully @Linwelly I applied your instructions correctly.

• Ambient Color = White
    • Ambient Strength = 150% (200% on up was way too much)
    • Opacity Strength = my special effects .jpg made with Ron's brushes
    • Specular Color = White

SummonerStaff150.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 607K
    StaffEffectsPlaneSurfaceSettings.JPG
    316 x 415 - 37K

All I had time to do tonight is add Jepe's SteamZ for the fog/mist effect, and a plane primitive for the magic effect in his land hand. All of these effects were done in Daz Studio.

One more magic effect left and then the screaming head!

Summoner9.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 666K
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 170
    edited October 2016

Just an idea at the moment, might change the poses a bit.

theGirls.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 724K
    Post edited by berriboy on
    dawnblade said:

All I had time to do tonight is add Jepe's SteamZ for the fog/mist effect, and a plane primitive for the magic effect in his land hand. All of these effects were done in Daz Studio.

This is looking good.  I like the light you are getting on your figures face from the magic effect in his hand.  Well done.

berriboy said:

Just an idea at the moment, might change the poses a bit.

Looks like a promo poster or still from a movie, TV show, etc.

This is looking good.  I like the light you are getting on your figures face from the magic effect in his hand.  Well done.

Thanks @Kismet2012!

dawnblade said:

Very nice how that worked out. If you have fun with that you could try putting up an image on a primitive globe and place that around  the head of the magic staff, but thats is trick as the positioning of the glowy effect on the globe is not easy to relate to.

Linwelly said:

Very nice how that worked out. If you have fun with that you could try putting up an image on a primitive globe and place that around  the head of the magic staff, but thats is trick as the positioning of the glowy effect on the globe is not easy to relate to.

Thank you @Linwelly! I appreciate your help. I'll give the sphere a try. Quick question: When it comes to the screaming head, it is a black image. So far, I've been using a black background for the magic effects, but that obviously won't work for a black image. Do I used a white background for the image? I'm also unsure of what properties to set in Surfaces for the plane. Do I set Ambient Color and Specular Color to black?

Spent much of the day on two things: using the sphere for the magic effect on the staff's ball. and trying to get the dark screaming head to render. I wasn't successful with either of them. Regarding the sphere, I couldn't get the magic effect to wrap around completely, and it looked funny, so I'm staying with the magic effect on the plane.

Regarding the screaming head, I put it on a plane with a white background, but it would just render a white plane with a dark image. I then tried a transparent background, but the head didn't render at all. I tried black as the ambient and specular colors, then white, but nothing worked. I have no idea what color to use for the background, or what properties to change in the Surfaces tab to get this working. I would like to render it within DS if anyone has any idea how to do it.

Here is what I have completed, using Ron's brushes within DS.

Summoner10.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 637K
    edited October 2016
    dawnblade said:

Spent much of the day on two things: using the sphere for the magic effect on the staff's ball. and trying to get the dark screaming head to render. I wasn't successful with either of them. Regarding the sphere, I couldn't get the magic effect to wrap around completely, and it looked funny, so I'm staying with the magic effect on the plane.

Regarding the screaming head, I put it on a plane with a white background, but it would just render a white plane with a dark image. I then tried a transparent background, but the head didn't render at all. I tried black as the ambient and specular colors, then white, but nothing worked. I have no idea what color to use for the background, or what properties to change in the Surfaces tab to get this working. I would like to render it within DS if anyone has any idea how to do it.

Here is what I have completed, using Ron's brushes within DS.

Sorry for the late reply, I see you're working hard. the spere is tricky, as I said. If you are comfortable with Gimp or photoshop you could try some shifting around there but I like what you did with the plane as well.

As for the Head being black is another challenge. You can take your original image of the head to Gimp or Photoshop ( make sure to duplicate and hide the original and safe to a different file name in the end, you don't want to loos your original) and place it on a white background again put the two layers (the head and the white) together swithc to greyscale and flip colours so you get black for white and vice versa. You might have to increase contrast and brightness to get the background really black and the head should be in white/greys. export that to be your new screaming head trans map which you import into the opacity channel. into diffuse and pribably ambient I would try putting the original.

Alternatively, you could try to change the opacity colour in the suface setting to white, but that is only easy when its already listed as an option, otherwise you would need to go into the shader mixer or shader builder, which I'm not all to firm with yet myself.

ps. for a better grounding of your mage you might have to get the shadows more intense, right now there is so mcuh ligh he almost seems afloat. Probably check back on the shadow settings in your lights.

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited October 2016

BorisBadenov, I came to lurk and pick up some tips on using Daz Studio.  But, I can give a tip or two for fixing your poke through.  You have a number of options.  First, there is a product called poke-away that works in both Studio and in Carrara that can be used to push clothing geometry outward or pull the figure geometry inward.  Second, for something like the interior of a leg within long pants you can create a new shading domain and set it to be invisible (alpha channel).  Third, you can enter the modeling room for the clothing item, select vertexes near the poke through, apply "soft-select", and pull the vertexes slightly away from the figure. 

Here are some screenshots for using the third method (directly selecting and pulling vertexes of the clothing model) for the harness.

I loaded a G2F character (V6) and fit the dragonlord outfit.  Even though the harness did not seem to have poke through for me like Boris, I will show how to select and adjust the harness. 

Select the "actor" level of the harness and click the wrench to enter the modelng room.  If you get a topology warning just ignore it.

In the modeling room, use the selection tools to pic some of the vertexes around the region of the harness where there is poke through.  They turn red.  I selected a big batch.

For smooth transition from selected vertexes to unselected vertexes, make sure the "soft select" box is checked.  Adjust its intensity to taste.

Use the arrow keys or other manipulation tools to adjust the harness.  (Note -there is also a magnet tool that could be used as an alternative)

I exaggerated the movement to make the demonstration clear.

I will show the second method, creating a new shading domain and making it invisible,in another post.

ee01 select actor level of harness click wrench to go to modeling room.jpg
    1300 x 942 - 363K
    ee02 select harness soft select checked pull 1.jpg
    1028 x 909 - 437K
    ee03 pull exaggerated effect.jpg
    1110 x 901 - 388K
    dd06 result pull away exaggerated.JPG
    1377 x 888 - 109K
    Post edited by Diomede on