Eyebrows!

Comments

• iwaveiwave Posts: 46
    kyoto kid said:
    e-wave said:
    kyoto kid said:

...one issue I had using the Brow Remover and then Real Brows for G3F was after saving the file and opening it in Daz later I got one of those "cannot find" errors (like what happens when a path to a texture or morph is messed up) that opened up a totally unrelated folder when I clicked on  the "search" button.  I cancelled which required re-applying the original face mapThe  Real Brows I created were still parented to the character but obscured by the painted on brow from the original face map so it made me wonder what I may have done wrong when removing the original brows (I followed all the steps in both tutorials).

Hello, I am not sure what is the problem at present... Does this problem also occur when you use Brow Remover or Real Brows alone?

...I just ran a test using only the Brow Remover and that seems to be thge culprit as I get the following error when loading the character again:

Could Not Find File C:/Users/<Username>/App Data/Roaming/Daz 3D/Studio4/Temp/d36.jpg

I have a dual drive setup with all my content on a separate larger drive (D:) as I don't use the "My Documents" folder in Windows for anything.  Looks like this is a hard coded path so I'm not sure what to do.

In the DIM is shows the package installation path as being the Scripts folder in Content: Does this not go into the Daz 3D/Studio4/Library Folder?

Hi,

'C:/Users/<Username>/App Data/Roaming/Daz 3D/Studio4/Temp/' is the default temporary folder of DAZ Studio. I think you can open the Preferences window and try to use another folder as the temporary folder. Or you can try to run DAZ Studio as administrator. I am not sure if they can reslove your problem, because this problem should not happen in normal condition.

Every time after you use LIE to generate or edit a Layered Image, LIE will covert this Layered Image to a real image and save it to the temporary folder, for example, 'C:/Users/<Username>/App Data/Roaming/Daz 3D/Studio4/Temp/d36.jpg'. So in fact you use d3d.jpg for rendering. This file is temporary, If you close DAZ Studio, all the files in the temporary folder will be automatically deleted. But next time when you open the scene, LIE will covert the Layered Image again and create a new temporary file. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited October 2016

...so why didn't it send the modified file there?  I haven't experienced issues like this when using the LIE or LIE based utilities before.

Opening as Adminstrator doesn't help either.

What I did was use the option in the No Brows pane to save as a material preset (which saves it to the textures folder for that particular character) and that worked. 

Good now I can finally get to bed as it's 01:00 here.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Running DS as administrator will potentially break things - that may be related to your issue.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

I see a bunch of peopel here talking about how great the Real Eyebrows product is, and so I thought I would ask here. I bought this product today and I just cannot get it to work. When I have a G3F figure selected as per the instructions, and I double-click the script to add the eyebrows, I get an error, "Failed to access eyebrow node!" I then get an object added to the scene called "Real Eyebrows for Genesis 3 Female" that looks like a couple of grey bricks sticking out of the head in the eyebrow position.

It almost seems like part of the script or product is missing. Yet other people seem to have used it without trouble. 

Can anyone help me figure this out? If I can't get it to work I'm going to have to return it.

• Steven-V said:

I see a bunch of peopel here talking about how great the Real Eyebrows product is, and so I thought I would ask here. I bought this product today and I just cannot get it to work. When I have a G3F figure selected as per the instructions, and I double-click the script to add the eyebrows, I get an error, "Failed to access eyebrow node!" I then get an object added to the scene called "Real Eyebrows for Genesis 3 Female" that looks like a couple of grey bricks sticking out of the head in the eyebrow position.

It almost seems like part of the script or product is missing. Yet other people seem to have used it without trouble. 

Can anyone help me figure this out? If I can't get it to work I'm going to have to return it.

How did you install?

• Steven-V said:

It sounds like your data folder for Real Eyebrows is messed up. I would delete it and reload the entire product just to make sure.

edited October 2016
    Steven-V said:

How did you install?

I tried using DAZ Connect, but it kept telling me that not all products were installed, and then trying to install 74 items, then after completing, told me they weren't all installed, and downloaded all 74 again, lather, rinse, repeat. So I tried using the DAZ Installer, which I don't normally use anymore, and installed it that way. This one installs to a completely different partition, so it should be clean. This time I got the files and the script allows me to click on it but it gives the afforementioned error.

EDIT: On DAZ Connect, it clearly does not DL the whole thing. I get only 2 of the eybrow shape preset scripts, and 3 of the 4 material colors, and it all goes into Lost and Found, and the icon says it needs to be updated. Yet updating it does nothing, and it keeps saying it needs to be updated.

Post edited by Steven-V on
    edited October 2016
    forme2no said:
    Steven-V said:

It sounds like your data folder for Real Eyebrows is messed up. I would delete it and reload the entire product just to make sure.

I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it. Same problem. It does not work. Just gives me an error and puts grey bricks onto the girl's forehead.

It seems quite clear to me that something is missing both in the DAZ Connect version and the DIM version that I am DLing... some asset is not there. Maybe several assets.

EDIT: I did a manual download. The DAZ Installer was not including the data folder items. (data/iWave/etc). So I dragged that into the proper place on the hard drive, but still no dice. At this point I am not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: And finally, I did a wipe and full manual install and that didn't work either. Same error every time.

Running DS as administrator will potentially break things - that may be related to your issue.

..I usually just launch it from the desktop.  I used to run in Admin mode but the programme took a lot of time to open and it loaded scenes much more slowly.

Steven-V said:
    forme2no said:
    Steven-V said:

I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it. Same problem. It does not work. Just gives me an error and puts grey bricks onto the girl's forehead.

It seems quite clear to me that something is missing both in the DAZ Connect version and the DIM version that I am DLing... some asset is not there. Maybe several assets.

EDIT: I did a manual download. The DAZ Installer was not including the data folder items. (data/iWave/etc). So I dragged that into the proper place on the hard drive, but still no dice. At this point I am not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: And finally, I did a wipe and full manual install and that didn't work either. Same error every time.

...I installed  through the DIM and have no issues (the missing file issue was with the Brow Remover for which I found a solution). I even have all my content libraries and runtimes on a separate drive from the C: (Boot) drive.

What folder did you specify as the install target?

• This product will not isntall via Connect, though it fails with a different error message (the loader script halts before loading anything). In you case the loader is clearly running, assuming you are not trying to load the Do Not Click file, but is failing to load the actual eyebrow mesh. As currently written the product must be in the original location within the content directory - if you move the files or folders it will fail, and if the installation is placed correctly in the content directory it will fail - are you sure that the folder you are isntalling to (the one that holds the Data and Runtime folders) is set as a Daz Studio content dierctory, not the folder that contains the folder that contains the Data and Runtime folders?

edited October 2016

OK you've lost me there.

DAZ Connect (the version I've not tried using since it won't update properly) installs to D:\Users\my_name\Documents\DAZ3D\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud.

DIM installs the program to D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\data\iWave, D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\runtime\textures\iWave, D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\People\Genesis 3 Female\Hair\Real Eyebrows for Genesis 3 Females

DAZ Connect always installs EVERYTHING to that folder. DIM has always installed EVERYTHING to the folder it's pointed to. I've been doing this for like 3 years with DIM. Never had a problem before.

If it's not supposed to go there, then where is it supposed to go?

EDIT: Just for funsies, I took the manually downloaded file, which DLs into a folder called Content, and stuck the whole Content folder into My Daz 3D Library and tried to run it from there. Same error.

• iwaveiwave Posts: 46
    Steven-V said:

OK you've lost me there.

DAZ Connect (the version I've not tried using since it won't update properly) installs to D:\Users\my_name\Documents\DAZ3D\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud.

DIM installs the program to D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\data\iWave, D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\runtime\textures\iWave, D:\Games\My Daz 3D Library\People\Genesis 3 Female\Hair\Real Eyebrows for Genesis 3 Females

DAZ Connect always installs EVERYTHING to that folder. DIM has always installed EVERYTHING to the folder it's pointed to. I've been doing this for like 3 years with DIM. Never had a problem before.

If it's not supposed to go there, then where is it supposed to go?

EDIT: Just for funsies, I took the manually downloaded file, which DLs into a folder called Content, and stuck the whole Content folder into My Daz 3D Library and tried to run it from there. Same error.

Hello, I didn't see any problems with your installation, all the folders are in the right places.

I also manually downloaded  and installed the package and found no problem. 

Have you ever tried to add this 'Content' folder in Content Directory Manager and run the prop from there?

• Did you uninstall the Connect version? if not DS will use that in preference to the DIM install.

e-wave said:
    Steven-V said:

Have you ever tried to add this 'Content' folder in Content Directory Manager and run the prop from there?

THAT did it. Adding the Content folder in the directory manager.

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited October 2016

Out of curiosity, can anyone confirm whether the eyebrows follow posing expression morphs, such as "Brows Inner Up-Down" "Brow Squeeze," etc. I assume the author set the parameters as followers to account for this?

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on

..yes they do.

• Great, thanks. I appreciate it. 

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I just tried using the eyebrow shaping tool on the Real Eyerows product. It's basically a black and white weight map that it uses to place the fibermesh hairs (black = brows, white = not).  One thing I've been able to do with it is use it to make fibermesh versions of the painted on brows for various character skins I like. That way I could keep the nice painted brows that are fuller looking than the typical fibermesh ones but then add some dimmensionality to them with the fibermesh in just the right shape. Once you create a shape, you can save it and then it becomes a preset so you can use it on other figures too, with or without painted brows underneath. It's easy and areally a nice feature if you ask me. Worth playing with, if you have the product.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I just tried using the eyebrow shaping tool on the Real Eyerows product. It's basically a black and white weight map that it uses to place the fibermesh hairs (black = brows, white = not).  One thing I've been able to do with it is use it to make fibermesh versions of the painted on brows for various character skins I like. That way I could keep the nice painted brows that are fuller looking than the typical fibermesh ones but then add some dimmensionality to them with the fibermesh in just the right shape. Once you create a shape, you can save it and then it becomes a preset so you can use it on other figures too, with or without painted brows underneath. It's easy and areally a nice feature if you ask me. Worth playing with, if you have the product.

Thanks, extra tips like that are always helpful.

...so are the Wow Brow brows themselves fibremesh as well or just LIE overlays?

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

One thing I've been able to do with it is use it to make fibermesh versions of the painted on brows for various character skins I like. That way I could keep the nice painted brows that are fuller looking than the typical fibermesh ones but then add some dimmensionality to them with the fibermesh in just the right shape.

Cracking tip. Never thought of mixing the two types. Thanks.

kyoto kid said:

...so are the Wow Brow brows themselves fibremesh as well or just LIE overlays?

WowBrows is a set of LIE brows. The Real Eyebrows are fibermesh.   

edited October 2016
    Jimbow said:

One thing I've been able to do with it is use it to make fibermesh versions of the painted on brows for various character skins I like. That way I could keep the nice painted brows that are fuller looking than the typical fibermesh ones but then add some dimmensionality to them with the fibermesh in just the right shape.

Here's a render of what it looks like.  It's not a "oh wow that looks crazily different" thing, subtle for closeups.  For distant renders you can turn the fibermesh invisble and save the render hit. 

Skin is Gayle by Saaby and 3DSublimeProductions, brows unmodified from base texture. I just added the Real Eyebrows and set them to the "Gayle shaped" preset I made using the shaping script and a map I slapped together quickly.  

I think I'lll make a library of Real Eyebrow shaping presets for all the Wow Brow shapes, then I'll have a nice library to work from to get lots of looks from close or far.

CombinedPaintedAndFibermeshBrows.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 686K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on

Thanks for the pic, looks good. I haven't had a chance to use shaping masks yet. No doubt there's a version for G3M on its way, but the tweakability should make it easier to also create male brows for G3M using a transfer for now (you have to load them onto a G3F figure first, and then fit them to G3M). One thing I do like is they seem to stick to the figure better than some other fibremesh brows.

Jimbow said:
    Thanks for the pic, looks good. I haven't had a chance to use shaping masks yet. No doubt there's a version for G3M on its way, but the tweakability should make it easier to also create male brows for G3M using a transfer for now (you have to load them onto a G3F figure first, and then fit them to G3M). One thing I do like is they seem to stick to the figure better than some other fibremesh brows.

For comparison sake, here's the same figure/pose/camera but without the fibermesh brows. Painted on only. Less subtle a difference than I'd thought.

JustPaintedBrows.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 704K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Jimbow said:

Here's a render of what it looks like.  It's not a "oh wow that looks crazily different" thing, subtle for closeups.  For distant renders you can turn the fibermesh invisble and save the render hit. 

Skin is Gayle by Saaby and 3DSublimeProductions, brows unmodified from base texture. I just added the Real Eyebrows and set them to the "Gayle shaped" preset I made using the shaping script and a map I slapped together quickly.  

I think I'lll make a library of Real Eyebrow shaping presets for all the Wow Brow shapes, then I'll have a nice library to work from to get lots of looks from close or far.

Oh wow! That looks great! :)

For simplicity, a direct comparison.  First, the base texture without fiber brows.  Second, the fiber brows by themselves, after using brow remover.  Third, the combination of the base texture plus the fiber brows. 

I do think I need to tweak the shaping map a little as it looks like I left it too thin on the outer portions of the brow.  But my takeaway is that the fiber brows tend to be too thin looking, the painted ones are too flat looking, the combination is the clear winner (for me).

JustPaintedBrows.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 704K
    JustFiberBrows.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 729K
    CombinedPaintedAndFibermeshBrows.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 686K
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I bought both brow products, but to be honest wasn't that taken with either of them for the reasons you mention (love the brow remover, though!), so have been using 'Oh My Brows' instead - quite happily, for the most part. Your solution looks like it deserves at least a bit of investigation, and I'll give it a try some time.

@grinch2901: Gave the Real Eyebrows custom mask feature a go last night and it looks good. Thanks again. I pulled a mask from the face texture's brows, and what I found was that it's worth nudging the mask down a bit in Photoshop to compensate for the Real Eyebrows hairs tending to point upwards. It's also worth a minute's worth of time to shape the hairs to match the underlying face texture's brows as closely as possible using Real Eyebrows' morphs.