Eyebrows!

Comments

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited September 2016

Eyebrows have always been important to me. I've bought tons of hair in the past that came in a variety of colourways, only to end up using chestnut brown or something close to it again because anything else looked ridiculous when paired with the painted on brows. I was forever looking through the store for the rare characters with blonde, red or grey brows, but there would often be something else wrong with them - brows drawn in a straight line instead of individual hairs or some other non brow-related flaw. That's one of the things that drew me to UHT2 - being able to have scalp and roots the same colour as the brows, while having the rest of the hair whatever colour I wanted. The result does at least look dyed then, like something you'd see on the street and not something totally unlikely.

Anyway, after reading the comments on the thread, I gave in and bought the Real Brows product I dumped out of my cart yesterday and am glad I did. I've answered my own question - yes, you can use it with UHT2. The 'what you'd see on the street' look wasn't what I was after when I was testing to see what was possible, so I upped the length and thickness of the hairs for maximum drama. It's just the UHT2 bright green hair with a bit of pink added in using the UHT2 color mixer. It's not rendered anywhere near to completion as I have a ton of work to do and ought to be cracking on with something in a bit.

With regard to the comment about needing Photoshop, you don't. There are nine preset shapes to choose from, and the hairs from these can be morphed in various ways too. There are probably a gazillion different combinations possible and you'd only really want to use Photoshop (or other image editor) if you needed a brow of a wildly different shape. The Photoshop stuff is a bonus really. The 31 page PDF which accompanies the product is a very welcome plus too.

Real_Brows.png
    640 x 480 - 544K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited September 2016

How do you get Real Eyebrows to apply to G2? When I tried yesterday, I just got error messages. Is it even possible?

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited September 2016

If you look at the Real Brows surfaces, there are two materials with one of their cutout opacity levels at zero. Changing it to one reveals something very interesting.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • All of the brow products ended up in my shopping cart as soon as I saw them.  There was no question about it.  Since I work with both G2 and G3 figures depending on what I need at the moment, it was wonderful to see solutions that would work with both generations of figures.  Admittedly there will be tweaking involved with using them on G2 figures but its less tweaking than adding brows in photoshop and the results  I am seeing so far are great.  Unfortunately I am with a work heavy schedule for the next day or so and will not be able to play around with them right away.   Being unable to match the brows nicely to the hair color  ( or in some cases even get realistically close)  with without a lot of work in photoshop has been an annoyance for me for a long time.  A heartfelt  "Thank You" to Zev0, DraagonStorm, Lyoness, and iWave

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2016

Was going to only get Zev0's brow removal prog, until I read the description from the real eyebrows page as it featured not only modeled eyebrows (Mesh) it also offers a feature to "remove" the brows I thought I would have to pass up Zev0's Brow remover, but since the "brow removal" in real eyebrows are somewhat manual, and not auto-scripted like Zev0's Brow remover, I am able to throw more money at Zev0!

I'm getting both as they are the perfect companion products for one another!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Was going to only get Zev0's brow removal prog, until I read the description from the real eyebrows page as it featured not only modeled eyebrows (Mesh) it also offers a feature to "remove" the brows I thought I would have to pass up Zev0's Brow remover, but since the "brow removal" in real eyebrows are somewhat manual, and not auto-scripted like Zev0's Brow remover, I am able to throw more money at Zev0!

I'm getting both as they are the perfect companion products for one another!

I read the PDF on the Real Brows page and yeah,  it looks pretty manual for every relevant texture (bump, displacement, translucency, etc). So it would be a hassle. I like the one-clickity functionality of Brow Remover though that lack of personal control it does mean for some skins it might give artifacts. I also like WowBrow, quick amd easy way to get new looks. 

Where I'm debating is getting the Real Eyebrows product too. I bought a bunch of stuff yesterday and they were in my cart but I though they were equivalent to WowBrows (painted on via LIE) and didn't see point in buying both. Now I know they are fibermesh but I lost my chance at the extra discount. It's only a couple of bucks so it doesn't actually matter but it just FEELS more expensive because I know I could have had that discount! Danged illogical emotions!  Especially when I know I'll just give in after agonizing for a day.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

After following this thread, I am kicking myself for not getting Real Eyebrows when I picked up Brow Remover and Wow Brow. I put it in my cart, took it out, put it in again... and ultimately passed on it, trying to keep my costs down, (having just committed $3K on a new computer!) I hope iWave is watching this thread and decides to change the product description to say "fibermesh" somewhere prominently. It would have been an instant buy for me, budget be damned, if I'd only known. Now I'd have to buy something I don't really want, or spend more money than I should, to still get the 50% discount... Let's see what discounts the catchup sale brings...

• pdspds Posts: 593
    erostew said:

It looks to be a much more useful program than was really apparent from the product page. I might have bought it if I had known some of that. But the budget boat already sank in rough waters, hehe.

I agree. Frankly I'm pretty tired of painted on eyebrows. If I had known that product was fiber mesh I would have gotten it. Now I've got to wait until more money comes in and I doubt it will be on sale still by then. Which means I'll have to wait even longer until (hopefully) it goes on sale again - as I usually can't afford to buy Daz products unless they are on sale. Ah well. C'est la vie. 

Well, maybe this was a blessing in disguise as it's possible that the LAMH eyebrow product will be out by/before you'd be ready to reconsider the Real Eyebrows product and you'll have more options for fiber mesh brows. :-)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited September 2016

I think Real Brows looks nice, but having tried it, it isn't to my tastes. The removal process is quite fiddly and I don't have the energy to do all that to remove an eyebrow. The brow removal tool works well, for me, with the exception of removing localized shine from the skin. So I will probably keep that.

For fibermesh eyebrows I still think I prefer oh my brows at rendo. Nice variety of brows, and male specific ones too which is nice. If I had more time and boundless energy I might spend more time working through the learning curves and issues I have which each product, but I'm more interested in a quick solution and Brow Removal works for the purpose of removing the eyebrows.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2016

"I like the one-clickity functionality of Brow Remover though that lack of personal control it does mean for some skins it might give artifacts."

You have personal control if you load in your own mask. I included a quick tutorial on how to do that in the product thread. The masks I created are "guestimate" masks that work across a wider set of uv's and textures but you can load in specific masks if you want. I just didn't want to overwelm users with tons of mask options.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Cool Zev0, I'll have to dig through the product thread. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I don't like any of the options; I'll continue using the fibremesh brows I've been using for months now.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    pds said:
    erostew said:

It looks to be a much more useful program than was really apparent from the product page. I might have bought it if I had known some of that. But the budget boat already sank in rough waters, hehe.

I agree. Frankly I'm pretty tired of painted on eyebrows. If I had known that product was fiber mesh I would have gotten it. Now I've got to wait until more money comes in and I doubt it will be on sale still by then. Which means I'll have to wait even longer until (hopefully) it goes on sale again - as I usually can't afford to buy Daz products unless they are on sale. Ah well. C'est la vie. 

Well, maybe this was a blessing in disguise as it's possible that the LAMH eyebrow product will be out by/before you'd be ready to reconsider the Real Eyebrows product and you'll have more options for fiber mesh brows. :-)

Ah, I didn't know LAMH was coming out with an eyebrow product! COOL! I'll keep an eye out for it. :) I do hope it's a stand-alone product and not one that you also have to buy the regular LAMH product as well to be able to use it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

If it's like all previous LAMH stuff, you'll be able to use it with the free plugin but need the pay plugin to edit/modify it.

• TOO MANY CHOICES!!!

Hi everybody.

Once again I am late to the conversation. A few questions... Im considering getting Brow Remover (like I really need to give Zev0 more of my money ;)) and then either Real Brows or Oh My Brows. Could someone share a simple compare and contrast? Im wondering basically how well they fit on custom characters and how well they color. Also, G2F/M?

Instant Makeup 3 for Genesis 3 Females. Does this work with only the base female UV or can I use it with other uv's with a minimum of tweaking?

And lastly, an observation. I think that Wow Brow would be a cool option as im not certain that fibermesh brows are the best choice for me. I dont do alot of portraits so close up details are probably not as necessary. I wouldnt want to rule out the possibility though.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited September 2016

Well, I bought like ALL the brow products, and then some, lol. The prices on these items were all pretty good, which helped a lot, so I want to thank the PAs for keeping prices down on these. I also got a few figures for $4 in related items, including FW Alfred for G2M, who also has his very own fiber mesh brows AND a stache AND a beard. So I am pretty good on eyebrows and I am pretty happy.

I'll post some test pics when I get time. I haven't even downloaded them yet.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • I bought both Real Eyebrows and wowbrows. I'm considering returning Real Eyebrows, but the problem I'm experiencing probably won't affect most people. 

Real Eyebrows has a lot of morphs that allow you to get messy and neat brows from the same shape. I was disappointed that you couldn't make them "bushy" (as in make the actual brow spread out up and down), but I think there are ways overcome that issue. I used Brow Remover to remove the brows, and the two work nicely together. 

The LIE approach, Wow Brow, is very good. They should have zero impact on runtimes, though it does take a while to apply them. There are a bunch to choose from which have varying styles. Real Eyebrows (and presumably the one from Renderosity) will look more realistic in profile shots, since they have real geometry, but if you never do closeups, then Wow Brows is probably good enough, and may even be a better solution since they don't add any additional load on your system once you have applied them. 

As for why I may return Real Eyebrows, they only work if you leave them where they were installed! I think that's totally lame, and it doesn't fit my library filing system. So, I've submitted a ticket. If they fix them before my 30 days are up, then I'll definitely keep them, but we'll see. I have another product that doesn't work either which I haven't checked on, but it is probably the same thing (it's a script product too...the G3 to G2 texture thing). 

Does stretching the Y axis parameter not work for spreading them up and down?

I'm still wondering how well real eyebrows work on G2?

Yeah, I have to try them on G2. I'll look into that.

• I've got a couple of questions about the brow products:  Is there a way to save the actual texture with the brows removed after I remove them?  Or is it always go back in DS and reapply the preset?  Because I actually use Photoshop and like Photoshop and HATE LIE with a passion. On the flip side, I just spent an hour removing that weird beard on the MST merchant resource for G3M.  And that wasn't even the bump or anything.  Just the texture.  So I'm open-minded.  I remember somebody above talking about all the things she could do with the time saved from not using Photoshop. 

Oh yes, the 2nd question, I somehow think it's been answered.  I was playing around with another eyebrow product from another website and it looked flat because it was all one color. Normally when I replace brows in Photoshop, I'm using multiple colors to add depth.  Is that possible with these products?

• I'm still wondering how well real eyebrows work on G2?

The script seems to refuse apply if the selected figure isn't G3F. So, since it's an encrypted script, there probably isn't a way to use it with G2 without hacking a bit to create something that will fool the script...which doesn't seem worth the effort if there are other products already available for G2. 

I've got a couple of questions about the brow products:  Is there a way to save the actual texture with the brows removed after I remove them?  Or is it always go back in DS and reapply the preset?  Because I actually use Photoshop and like Photoshop and HATE LIE with a passion. On the flip side, I just spent an hour removing that weird beard on the MST merchant resource for G3M.  And that wasn't even the bump or anything.  Just the texture.  So I'm open-minded.  I remember somebody above talking about all the things she could do with the time saved from not using Photoshop. 

Oh yes, the 2nd question, I somehow think it's been answered.  I was playing around with another eyebrow product from another website and it looked flat because it was all one color. Normally when I replace brows in Photoshop, I'm using multiple colors to add depth.  Is that possible with these products?

Didn't I see a product that would "Bake" the LIE stuff together and save the files for you? I remember looking at the product page when the author's store was on sale earlier this month...but I don't remember who made it nor what it was called. (NVM, I think this is the one: http://www.daz3d.com/lie-baker )

I can't answer the question about the multiple colors, since I am just now having any luck with it. By default, the textures are solid colors, but there is no reason you couldn't try using some sort of gradiant texture map instead. I can't promise it would look right...but, with the 30 day guarantee, it might be worth a shot. 

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

I've got a couple of questions about the brow products:  Is there a way to save the actual texture with the brows removed after I remove them?  Or is it always go back in DS and reapply the preset?  Because I actually use Photoshop and like Photoshop and HATE LIE with a passion.

you may of course use the templates from wow brow in Photoshop to create your own look.  That's pretty easy and then you can control the colors. However, they are not a merchant resource.

With LIE it's not so simple to apply a varigated textrure, so these are all based on solid colors.  With the interface, you may apply several layers of different colors in varying opacities to create a look that is all your own.

• As for why I may return Real Eyebrows, they only work if you leave them where they were installed! I think that's totally lame, and it doesn't fit my library filing system. So, I've submitted a ticket. If they fix them before my 30 days are up, then I'll definitely keep them, but we'll see. I have another product that doesn't work either which I haven't checked on, but it is probably the same thing (it's a script product too...the G3 to G2 texture thing). 

This would bother me as well. Thanks for the feedback.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2016

Well, Oh My Brows is for G3. I got the bundle, so I have support for both males and females. It is possible to load these brows without parenting/fit-to a figure, so it may be possible to use on G2, I haven't tried, yet. I didn't get Real Brows because I didn't know at the time I purchased Brow Remover that Real Brow was fibermesh brows. Real Brows is only for G3F, though perhaps someon else can weigh in on whether or not they can be used for G3M. If you are on a budget, I'd say get Real Brows now, when you buy Brow Remover, to get them at 50% off. I got a good price on Oh My Brows, but only because I waited for them to go sale.

Wow Brow works much like the Skin Builder Pro by Zev0/DraagonStorm, but only for eyebrows. It is an excellent choice for adding eyebrows when you don't need the added dimension of the fiber brows. And while it was developed for G3F, Lyoness has confirmed it will work for G2F as well, though you'll have to fiddle with the height parameters to get them placed correctly. I was also able to use it to add eyebrows to Kenji, but I suspect most of the brows are too "feminine" (i.e. plucked,) for the guys.

My own philosophy is you can't have too many eyebrow products. It is amazing how much you can change the look of a character by changing their eyebrows.

I can't help you with the Instant Makeup product. I'm not a big fan of high-fashion makeup, (I prefer a minimalist approach,) so I didn't buy the product.

ETA: I should have refreshed the page before I answered! lol...

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    L'Adair said:

Real Brows is only for G3F, though perhaps someon else can weigh in on whether or not they can be used for G3M.

I posted an example earlier in the thread.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    edited September 2016

I've got a couple of questions about the brow products:  Is there a way to save the actual texture with the brows removed after I remove them?  Or is it always go back in DS and reapply the preset?  Because I actually use Photoshop and like Photoshop and HATE LIE with a passion. On the flip side, I just spent an hour removing that weird beard on the MST merchant resource for G3M.  And that wasn't even the bump or anything.  Just the texture.  So I'm open-minded.  I remember somebody above talking about all the things she could do with the time saved from not using Photoshop. 

When you run the script and it makes the temp image with the brows removed, you could always go to the surfaces tab to find the location of the temp textures and simply copy them to another folder to save them, couldn't you?

I do remember seeing something about the brow remover having preset saving abilities once you do remove them anyway, but I haven't looked at it.

Post edited by lx_2807502 on

Yep, real brows will not even start unless it is a G3 figure. Bummer.

I tried to play with it. You can load a G3F figure, load Real Eyebrows, and then unparent Real Eyebrows. Load G2F, then parent Real Brows to her, and delete G3F. Deleting G3F will not delete the Real Eyebrows. This sort of works, except the brows are floating in space away from her head, an the stupid parameters have no effect at this point. So again a bummer, but I tried. Maybe there is a method to this, like how people fit hairs to other figures without autofit. But I suck at that, sometimes I can, many times I cannot, and I don't know why. But I really don't want to spend the energy into doing this, I got Alfred's brows, and Laticis free brows to cover this. But I do like the shape options Real Eyebrows has.

Does the Oh My Brows product fit on G2 any better?

I'm pretty happy with the Skin Builder/Overlay stuff for adding mapped eyebrows, was hoping for a larger pool of fibermesh/hair stuff. Ah well, will wait for LAMH stuff. ;)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    lx said:

When you run the script and it makes the temp image with the brows removed, you could always go to the surfaces tab to find the location of the temp textures and simply copy them to another folder to save them, couldn't you?

I do remember seeing something about the brow remover having preset saving abilities once you do remove them anyway, but I haven't looked at it.

That is correct. Brow Remover contains a save material preset option so you can save your results. The script will automatically save out the new browless textures into the character skin folder and link it to a browless material preset you save so you can apply it whenever you want if you want a browless option for that skin.