Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• I took my color output from LineRender9000 for my image posted above and played with some filters in Filter Forge.  More on my thread, but here is my favorite.  Filter used was Artsy Illustration and the Two Tone output from LineRender9000.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

I love checking in on this thread, always so many great renders! I threw together an image tonight to take some setting screen shots for the LR9k thread and was really quite pleased with the output, it came out somewhat better than I anticipated and in a style I like, maybe I'll brush up my cyberpunk graphic novel idea and script and use a style close to this for it sometime :)

• I like that KA1!  It's an interesting style.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Still playing around with PWToon here... heh. I'm trying to get a sketchy pencil-like style. I'm thinking it might be impossible to do just what I want without some way to guide the pencil strokes or something. Sounds like Inkscape should do that, but I have a little trouble understanding it.

Anyway, the first is the result I was mostly intending. The second was a happy accident that I find very appealing. Combination of PWToon and FilterForge and a few other things.

Seated Warrior illo.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Seated Warrior illotest shaded Paint.png
    2160 x 2160 - 4M

Trying out something I've played with before, inspired by Iray's material ID, ToonyCam's ColorID outlining, and then reminded of it with LR9000's use of colorID outlining.

Did a 'shading' render and ran it through a crosshatch filter. Then did a flat toon render where surfaces I wanted to distinguish had different colors, then ran through Photoshop's 'Find Edges' to get an outline layer.

The result is pretty decent, but it lacks some of the detail that Normal outlining grabs. I'll have to experiment with, possibly, combining an edge detect layer, Normal layer, and then crosshatch shaded layer. The crosshatch filter has an outline embedded in it that I'm not 100% thrilled with. Mm.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Still playing around with PWToon here... heh. I'm trying to get a sketchy pencil-like style. I'm thinking it might be impossible to do just what I want without some way to guide the pencil strokes or something. Sounds like Inkscape should do that, but I have a little trouble understanding it.

Anyway, the first is the result I was mostly intending. The second was a happy accident that I find very appealing. Combination of PWToon and FilterForge and a few other things.

Very nice! As a comic creator, I find the first one really appealing. I like that some of the texture is preserved a bit, and the lighting is great! :)

Thank you!

Ok, question... one of the things I struggle with doing this stuff is getting a directional grain to the sketchiness, so that it follows objects nicely. I'm not sure there's a sensible way to automate this.

Sooo... anyone know a good (ideally free, or Photoshop) method to, essentially, paint streaks?

My thinking is, I can use a (streaky brush of some kind) to draw contoured sketchy fill through objects. I can then use the shading layer as a mask to only show those contours in the right places, and then outlines on top.

But that first bit... ideally it would be some kind of brush where the 'texture' is consistent in width and intensity, but the painting changes the flow/direction of the grain.

Thoughts? Am I clear?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

When you're making a brush in Photoshop, under Shape Dynamics, set the Control for Angle Jitter to Direction. Under Brush Tip Shape, you may need/want to change the Angle to something inline with a horizontal stroke. There are many other settings you can play with to get things to be varied randomlya bit, or controlled by something. It's a fairly complicated topic, and I'm not at a computer atm, but I hope this helps.

- Greg

Interesting, thanks. I may also see what I can do on the iPad, because I don't have a pen tablet and it might be nice to try doing it by hand. Literally.

Oh god my freehand is so terrible.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

This made me chuckle - mainly because 7:08pm "it might be nice to try doing it by hand" led to it 25minutes later! I'm sure it's not THAT bad!!!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

2 thoughts:

1. You can use your iPad as an input device for your PC/Photoshop

2. You could also try using the pen tool to make spline paths, and then stroke them with a brush (as described before). This would be slower than freehand, but could be sped up through the creation of some quick actions and assigned hotkeys (to do the stroking after the spline is created). You may not need to make many splines/strokes to give whatever filtering your using enough of an indication of the desired stroke direction.

Just some random thoughts.

- Greg

• KA1 said:

This made me chuckle - mainly because 7:08pm "it might be nice to try doing it by hand" led to it 25minutes later! I'm sure it's not THAT bad!!!

I have to admit that coincidence had me chuckling, too.  :)

It's pretty bad. I had everything set upright, using linear dodge for shading and then a copy of the image at half opacity on top as a guide, then a brush that uses lots of parallel lines.

That and all the other brushes looks awful.

I'll try messing around with the iPad next.

It's pretty bad. I had everything set upright, using linear dodge for shading and then a copy of the image at half opacity on top as a guide, then a brush that uses lots of parallel lines.

That and all the other brushes looks awful.

I'll try messing around with the iPad next.

I definitely recommend getting a graphics tablet - even just a cheap one (for my first one, I scored a good used one for like $21 on eBay). It makes doing post work SO MUCH easier! 

I now use a nice Wacom one, but it's not necessary to buy an expensive one if you don't want to. As a full time commission and comic book artist I use it every day, but even for people who don't do art for a living, a graphics tablet is really helpful if you do any art at all. And you can really get great deals on one on eBay. 

edited October 2016

I used to own one. And... it's just not worth it. Anything that requires the greater precision of a pen vs. mouse, I lack the coordination and training to make use of.

I _could_ spend some years developing basic freehand skills, and maybe in 10, 20 years I'd be somewhere good with it. Just don't wanna. ;)

Edit: Though, following up on what algovincian suggested, it looks like I might be able to use my iPad as something of a tablet. So... that's worth trying, considering I don't have to pay anything!

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited October 2016

Another persepective... The thing about using an iPad or tablet is that it works more like a Wacom Cintiq with a natural drawing technique, just like drawing on a piece of paper. While they are without the pressure sensitivity in many cases, you're not tethered as you are with a Wacom tablet.

And if you're doing basic drawing and inking, some don't miss the pressure, but just switch brush sizes and styles. Faster often on projects than using a Bamboo, Intuos, or other non-screen Wacom where you have the disconnect between touch and sight.

The original Surface had a built in Wacom digitizer; I don't know if the current Surface does, but it's a more economical method than a Cintiq if you want a Wacom's pressure sensitivity without the price tag of the Cintiq (well, I haven't priced them in a while, but I'm assuming they're still very pricey).

FWIW. YMMV.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • An Autumn Fairy render - Since it's getting a little chilly here. Fall is coming! :) Yay! My favorite time of year!

This is amazing! It looks like coloured pencil! How did you do it?
     In a previous post with a similar image, you mentioned using iray and 3delight renders... did you just lay one over the other in photoshop or something?

More experiments. Again, this is PWToon + Photoshop.

Magesketch.png
    1080 x 1080 - 711K
    AdiaAir said:

An Autumn Fairy render - Since it's getting a little chilly here. Fall is coming! :) Yay! My favorite time of year!

In a previous post with a similar image, you mentioned using iray and 3delight renders... did you just lay one over the other in photoshop or something?

Thank you for the compliment! :)

I outlined the steps I take here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1428986/#Comment_1428986  

AdiaAir said:

An Autumn Fairy render - Since it's getting a little chilly here. Fall is coming! :) Yay! My favorite time of year!

Thank you for the compliment! :)

I outlined the steps I take here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1428986/#Comment_1428986  

That's an awesome technique. :)

• Thank you for the compliment! :)

Thank you for sharing your technique! It is, indeed, an awesome technique. :)

Another pencil and pen style render (PWToon + Photoshop)

Keshi dances sketch.png
    1080 x 1080 - 508K
  • AdiaAirAdiaAir Posts: 9
    edited October 2016

Thank you again for that mini tutorial, @divamakeup I had a lot of fun messing around with what was originally a throw-away render (was trying to get the hair the way I wanted).

This is the end result after a bit of colour adjustment:

Here's some saves from the process... From left to right: Original render; Step 4; Step 10; Completed Process; Colour Adjustment to Step 10 image.

I got some other interesting results when playing around with the Nix Collection filters...

Post edited by AdiaAir on
  • This one is probably my favourite though...

Or maybe this one...

Original:

• AdiaAir said:

This one is probably my favourite though...

This one is my favorite, but they all turned out really nicely!  :)

PWToon + Photoshop again.

I found this work to be very soothing, which is nice, considering what a train wreck this year has been. (not personally, just generally)

Landscape sketch1.png
    1748 x 1080 - 3M
    AdiaAir said:

Thank you again for that mini tutorial, @divamakeup I had a lot of fun messing around with what was originally a throw-away render (was trying to get the hair the way I wanted).

This is the end result after a bit of colour adjustment:

Wow! All of those are gorgeous.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

frame  from a Carrara NPR animation I am rendering

w172.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 403K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm not sure if this counts as NPR

This discussion has been closed.