DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available

Comments

• haw2eyezzhaw2eyezz Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    DavidGB said:
    Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn't rocket science. Just basic, for heaven's sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don't just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it's kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don't suppose I'll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I've got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

JUST LIKE LAST BETA INSTALL AND THE ONE BEFORE.

Good thing i don't use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

Crazed. I got the same problem. It appears to be an issue with the Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe that was installed with the 4.5.0 release. Windows reports "...is not a valid Win32 application" when trying to run it directly.

After attempting to run the 4.5.1.6 installer, DAZ studio no longer even appears in the Control Panel list of installed programs (registry now screwed up?). Not possible to uninstall using any standard method that I can see. This is so pathetic and also so typical of DAZ. Before trying anything else, would be useful to find out what others have successfully done to get this to work.

I've installed 4.5.1.6 on numerous machines: XP/32, XP/64, Vista/32, Vista/64, Win7/32,Win7/64,MacOS and Linux/Wine. No problems. Start the investigation on a Windows problem on your machine. It is likely that you have something interfering with the process.

Kendall

I have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years. Very rarely had any issue with an installer. However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system.

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now. At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem.

In over 30 years of developing software, one of the things that I know from experience is that just because it works on system A and not on system B, does not automatically mean that root cause lies with system B. It means that the software process better be robust enough to determine exactly what the root cause is when reported. Too often, wishful thinking combined with "...well, it works on my machine so the problem must be with yours..." will result in defects getting overlooked.

I too have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years. Very rarely had any issue with an installer. However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system.

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now. At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem. Programs like REVo Uninstaller help in situations like this. I'm still smarting from the Dup. ID problems that screw DS4 up. I'll just have to wait for DS5 or maybe DS6.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I had to send my notebook for what I thought were heating issues. In addition to replacing the thermal unit they also replaced the HD. Hence my system was re formatted. I now just have 4.5 without any previous 3 installed since I had saved my DAZ 3D folder to en external drive. I did not need to re install the added content. It now loads much faster & without a genesis figure and less duplicate error messages...

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

Win7 64 bit machine...Just tried reinstalled Daz 4.5 for the 3rd time...Now its on a partitioned drive...Guess what.. My
    Michael4 had textures mising using Daz3.. I had to reinstall..When I opened got window saying it didn't see any
    metadata files.... Just said ok....Now it's showing up... 4.5 is simply scary..

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited October 2012

heinz0r said:

If you could implement a way to set a key for pin/unpin with the active pose tool that would be very nice too. Right now I can pin by using ctrl click on the powerpose avatar window but it would be nice if I could pin and unpin within the viewport aswell to speed things up.
    Pressing spacebar should do the pinning/unpinning in ActivePose.

@Kerya: can't remember for sure, and it looks like I don't have Hexagon on this computer, but it's either in the dzInstall.ini file (Documents\\Application Data\DAZ 3D) or in the registry.

Post edited by ReDave on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:

@Kerya: can't remember for sure, and it looks like I don't have Hexagon on this computer, but it's either in the dzInstall.ini file (Documents\\Application Data\DAZ 3D) or in the registry.

Thank you!!!!!!
    It's the dzInstall.ini in appdata - I had one as admin, but not as user.
    I just copied it over - and voilà! Working Bridge!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

ug for some reason it seems daz is not saving properly. I save, close, open again... morphs are not the same, position is not the same, smoothing is off....

the heck?? why on EARTH is the scene NOT THE SAME as when I saved it a MINUTE AGO???

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Glad it's working Kerya!!! ^_^

@belovedalia: hmm, what did you use and/or do, exactly? If it's easy to reproduce you should file a bug report at bugs.daz3d.com (needs a new account and password).

edited December 1969

it's not easy to reproduce tho it keeps happening... its just that I save it, and then sometimes right after I reload it again, somethings are off. For example i saved a scene, so i could start a second instance of daz, and load the same scene... save, open another daz, load scene... the two scenes didn't match :( so weird.

• roger_8a3dce01bfroger_8a3dce01bf Posts: 3
    edited November 2012

I'm gettiing loads of crashes since this update. On mac 10.7.5. Tried trashing prefs etc, which helped a bit, but now
    every time I try to pose a character (any) using the universal tool the whole app crashes.

Luckilly I have Time Machine so I'm reverting to the previous version for now. Really don't recommend anyone try this one.
    Its by far the most buggy and crash prone Studio yet.

Update: Deleted EVERYTHING except content, so all prefs, libraries, studio folders etc. Uninstalled genesis essentials. Then re-installed everything and so far, touch wood, Studio is working again...

Post edited by roger_8a3dce01bf on
  • GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Anyone having trouble with DazStudio 4.5 and Windows 8 Pro? I got an error installing it and cant run it (0xc000007b) error...

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

So.....should I use Daz4, Daz4.5 or just stick to Daz3?

And no, I am not using genesis items, if anyone was going to ask.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

DS4.5 is rendering faster than DS3 - for me anyway.
    You can install DS4.5 additionally to DS3, if you feel like it.
    Personally I wouldn't install DS4 anymore.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

GKDantas said:
    Anyone having trouble with DazStudio 4.5 and Windows 8 Pro? I got an error installing it and cant run it (0xc000007b) error...

Have you checked the Windows 8 thread? Maybe someone there can help you.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

GKDantas said:

I saw three common causes for that error, when I looked it up...hard drive issues, OS corruption and Windows built in 'nannyware'...

How, exactly did you get to Win8? If it was an 'in place upgrade', then OS corruption or 'nanny' behavior are your most likely candidates. It should have done a drive scan during the install.

• RasteveRasteve Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I've installed Pro 4.5 and I keep getting crashes when I attempt to move the figure in Pose & Animate. It happens continually. Maybe I'm missing something with this Pro 4.5 update?

I get this error: DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000E35C1050, DzNode::getPresentation()

Whats the deal O.o?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

What are your computer specifications? Are you using the latest drivers for the video card/chipset?

edited November 2012

What are your computer specifications? Are you using the latest drivers for the video card/chipset?

x64-based PC

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical

ATI Radeon HD 4800

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.46 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.70 GB

I have updated video drivers....

What happens is that I can do everything in Daz3d like I could do before, I can even move the figure etc, but the crash happens when I click the scene with my mouse browser in "Pose & Animation". If I click the scene or move the figure in the scene, Daz3d closes and I see a loading sign then a little box pops up about fatal error. It's a pose & animation problem, i guess? I'm not sure what I am supposed to do.

sorry for the late response.

Post edited by Rasteve on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Rasteve said:

x64-based PC

ATI Radeon HD 4800

What happens is that I can do everything in Daz3d like I could do before, I can even move the figure etc, but the crash happens when I click the scene with my mouse browser. If I click the scene or move the figure in the scene, Daz3d closes and I see a loading sign then a little box pops up about fatal error.

Are you using the built in Windows Video Drivers or the ATI Catalyst? There are a few versions of the Catalyst that will SegFault with OpenGL use.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Rasteve said:

x64-based PC

ATI Radeon HD 4800

What happens is that I can do everything in Daz3d like I could do before, I can even move the figure etc, but the crash happens when I click the scene with my mouse browser. If I click the scene or move the figure in the scene, Daz3d closes and I see a loading sign then a little box pops up about fatal error.

Are you using the built in Windows Video Drivers or the ATI Catalyst? There are a few versions of the Catalyst that will SegFault with OpenGL use.

Kendall

Using Catalyst. Not sure why this is occurring now, been using Daz other versions with absolutely no problems.

I edited my last message, Daz only crashes when I click the scene background/or attempt to move the figure with the mouse in 'Pose & Animation'

edited December 1969

Rasteve said:
    Rasteve said:

x64-based PC

ATI Radeon HD 4800

Kendall

Using Catalyst. Not sure why this is occurring now, been using Daz other versions with absolutely no problems.

I edited my last message, Daz only crashes when I click the scene background/or attempt to move the figure with the mouse in 'Pose & Animation'

On the few ATI based machines that we have we're running Catalyst 8.900.7.0 and we're stable. Every time we change the version we start getting SegFaults with pretty much everything that uses the FireGL layer.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Part of the problem is, that this build of (4.5.1.6) uses a different version of Qt and the Qt OpenGL implementation...so, even if the video card driver is the same, that change may not like that version of OpenGL (especially with AMD/Ati drivers, since they seem to have the 'flakiest' OpenGL between driver versions...Intel just has flaky OpenGL, across the board; Nvidia every so often flakes out, too).

edited December 1969

I just uninstalled Daz3d, then I deleted the Daz3d folder in this order C drive->users->*insert username*-> and make invisible files visible -> App data->roaming->and Delete the Daz3d folder.

After doing this I reinstalled and it was fine. Before not only did I have that crashing problem, but the menu was missing everything but File, Window, and help. In file there was only exit as well. Not sure how that happened, but everything is fine now. thanks.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

I came across a bug when changing the parameters of some lights in my scene. In the "Lights" tab; I "CTRL"+clicked several lights; changed the shadows parameter from Deep Shadow Map to None & only had the parameters of the last light clicked change. I had to go back and change the parameter of each light individually. Doing the same sequence worked under the "Parameters" tab.

Post edited by BWSman on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Part of the problem is, that this build of (4.5.1.6) uses a different version of Qt and the Qt OpenGL implementation...so, even if the video card driver is the same, that change may not like that version of OpenGL (especially with AMD/Ati drivers, since they seem to have the 'flakiest' OpenGL between driver versions...Intel just has flaky OpenGL, across the board; Nvidia every so often flakes out, too).

Mesa seems to work pretty consistently... but is very slow compared to the 'proprietary' solutions.

Kendall

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Mesa seems to work pretty consistently... but is very slow compared to the 'proprietary' solutions.

Kendall

Why can't we get both?

Rock solid stability and speed?

edited December 1969

For latest Daz content, you get a downloader... one is "legacy" one is "poser companion" and one is DSON... which one(s) do I need as just a ds4.5 user?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

AS a DS 4.5 user you need DSON Core

Legacy are for DS4 Poser companion files are to use with the DSON Core files in Poser.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

YES!

Did the upgrade from 4.5 and everything works perfectly. I was terrified that I was going to end up losing all my content or some other crap would happen and my machine would be screwed up in horrible ways that would never let me run Daz again, because that's just the way my luck rolls.

But the install was flawless and everything seems to work great except the camera cube rotates a lot faster than the old camera cube did which is a little tricky to fine tune. I'll have to go in and see if I can adjust that to slow it down a bit.

But YAY!!!!! I can render GLASS now!

GLASS!!!!

So beautiful.... so.... GLASSY!

Does a happy glass dance.

• DreammysticDreammystic Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

GKDantas said:

I get this as well, I can't upgrade Daz Studio.

Can anyone help please?

• cameronboocameronboo Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I am trying to download DAZ Studio 4.5 but I couldn't download it. It says that it is free but I can't download it. Is there something wrong?