DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available

Comments

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Shouldn't - go to help>About installed plugins and make sure the serial took.

It shows up with a Green Plug as installed.

I'm working from the PDF Guide which seems to be written for one of the old versions that had a Tabs menu. So I guessed that it should show up under Window-Tabs now. Except that it doesn't show.

It does show up as an action in the Customize dialog and there is a menu defined there for the Decimator Pane. So I've used that to place it in the Tabs menu by hand.

It should show up there automatically if installed and registered. Is it a minor bug?

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited October 2012

Baglet said:
    Shouldn't - go to help>About installed plugins and make sure the serial took.

It shows up with a Green Plug as installed.

I'm working from the PDF Guide which seems to be written for one of the old versions that had a Tabs menu. So I guessed that it should show up under Window-Tabs now. Except that it doesn't show.

It does show up as an action in the Customize dialog and there is a menu defined there for the Decimator Pane. So I've used that to place it in the Tabs menu by hand.

It should show up there automatically if installed and registered. Is it a minor bug?

Not usually a bug, as such. More an unfortunate consequence of the system design.

Presuming you are a previous user, DS will have recorded the layout, menus etc as used by you. Installing some plugins etc adds actions to the action list, and default menus etc, but DS still looks at its custom menu list from your prior use, not the (new) defaults. So after things like upgrades, and adding certain products/functions, you don't see new and/or changed menu entries. The plus side is that you don't lose customisations you may have made to menus, toolbars etc. The minus side is you don't get updated menus with new, rennamed or moved menu entries and new toolbar buttons.

There was quite an argument about this back during the DS1 and 2 versions, with the consequence being that DAZ took it that they could keep the larger number of voluble users happy by preserving the prior user customizations rather than the priority of getting the new/chenged toolbars and menus to show at the price of previous customizations.

Throughout the DS 4 and 4.5 versions I've been noticing mentions of changes to menus and toolbars in the changelogs, which weren't, of course, showing up for me after the version changes due to this issue. So after each version change, I've been going to Window->Workspace>Customize and using the Import button down the bottom to import the new default menus and toolbars so that the latest chages and new tools and menu entries show up ... and then redone my customisations after. It's a bit of a pain, but that's hoiw its been for a long time.

Post edited by DavidGB on
  • BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks DavidGB, it makes sense now.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...egads, if you have to rename your texture folders that's not good.

I think I'll wait until this one gets sorted out.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...egads, if you have to rename your texture folders that's not good.

I think I'll wait until this one gets sorted out.

What are you referring to?

edited December 1969

...this.

barbult said:
    I updated to DS 4.5.1.6 from a previously installed 4.5 version. I installed 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe. Now whenever I open a previously saved DUF scene that used content from the Genesis Starter Essentials, it cannot find the texture files. The textures are there in the same folder, but they have new names! I had the problem with Aldora hair, SallyMae hair, Journey Scout and Kids 4 Basic Wear.

I submitted a bug report. https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48199
    Can anyone confirm this problem?

It looks like they've changed the folder names rather than the file names -- are you seeing the same folder but different file names?

ETA: I see, in some cases they renamed the files as well.

edited December 1969

Ah, that refers to some of the files in the default content - not to a general change that affects everything, and certainly not a change to the base folder name.

edited December 1969

...so is there a "no content" version like in the past?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Do you use any of the supplied content - or more to the point the supplied textures? If not this won't affect you. But only a to a point - the bulk of the content is in a separate installer, but it has been updated (hence the changed paths) so if you don't use the latest version you may miss out on some fixes (if nothing else, I think you need the 1.6 version for the DSON Importer for Poser if you use that).

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Do you use any of the supplied content - or more to the point the supplied textures? If not this won't affect you. But only a to a point - the bulk of the content is in a separate installer, but it has been updated (hence the changed paths) so if you don't use the latest version you may miss out on some fixes (if nothing else, I think you need the 1.6 version for the DSON Importer for Poser if you use that).

Also, KK, since you are new to DS4 it's unlikely that you've used much, if any, of the affected content. Therefore, you should be good to go with no problems at all.

Kendall

edited October 2012

...so everything from the Genesis Essentials DL should be fine then?

...still using .114 as it seems to be working OK on my ancient system (unless I do something silly like load up the entire Big City set by Stonemason as I did last night).

Render time is a vast improvement over 3Advanced.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    edited December 1969

The problem with the Genesis Essentials textures comes when you reload a scene that was saved with a previous version. If you create a new scene, there is no problem finding the textures for the new content.

For example, I had saved a scene a month ago that used the Aldora hair. When I reloaded that scene with DS 4.5.1.6 (which uses new Genesis Essentials 1.6), DS couldn't find the texture for Aldora hair. It gave me about a dozen error pop up messages. The workaround is to tell DS to stop looking for those textures and then go to the Smart Content (or Content Library) materials and reselect the texture after the scene loads.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

It looks to me like what happened was that the original default content in DS 4.0 used reduced res versions of the textures for the content that was converted to Genesis (hair and clothing), but now it uses the full res versions. The reduced res versions were uninstalled when the new ones were installed, but of course if you used the old versions the textures are no longer there.

An annoyance, but it's just a matter of going to the content and reapplying the mats.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Yup. Just tested... Works fine for a new scene, save, load. 4.5.1.6 + GE1.6

Kendall

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

I gave up with 4.5 on my Win7 64 bit machine. I upgraded and lost my Daz3 content folder etc...Np with Win XP 32 bit...But this is the 2nd time I uninstalled and tried to reinstall.... Not worth the frustration. I had to reinstall all my Daz3 purchases. Good thing I saved all to external HD....

edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    I gave up with 4.5 on my Win7 64 bit machine. I upgraded and lost my Daz3 content folder etc...Np with Win XP 32 bit...But this is the 2nd time I uninstalled and tried to reinstall.... Not worth the frustration. I had to reinstall all my Daz3 purchases. Good thing I saved all to external HD....

Where was your DS3 content folder? Win7 doesn't allow user files in the Program Files hierarchy. DS4 doesn't do anything to your old content folder -- are you sure it was deleted, and not that you didn't import your content folders from DS3 to DS4?

edited December 1969

...as I recall, all versions of Daz studio prior to 4 installed everything to the Programme Files/Daz folder as a default (in XP). So if Win7 does not allow this, where should the S2/S3Advanced content files be directed during install?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...as I recall, all versions of Daz studio prior to 4 installed everything to the Programme Files/Daz folder as a default (in XP). So if Win7 does not allow this, where should the S2/S3Advanced content files be directed during install?

DS2 defaulted to Program Files, DS3 defaulted to My Documents. The DS3+ defaulting to My Documents is just a default, you can place and name your content folder anywhere you like, so long as it isn't in a protected folder and you make sure to always install the that folder, regardless of what a particular installer defaults to.

edited December 1969

...on my new setup, I plan to have 2.3.3, 3.1.2.32,and 4.5 all installed, (the earlier versions for using older content and plugins that are not compatible with later updates of the app).

So can Studio 2.3 have the content in a different folder structure or will that break things? Basically the "root" runtime for all my non-4.5 proprietary content will need to be in this folder so that both of the older versions of Studio as well as PoserPro, Carrara, and Bryce can access it.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...on my new setup, I plan to have 2.3.3, 3.1.2.32,and 4.5 all installed, (the earlier versions for using older content and plugins that are not compatible with later updates of the app).

So can Studio 2.3 have the content in a different folder structure or will that break things? Basically the "root" runtime for all my non-4.5 proprietary content will need to be in this folder so that both of the older versions of Studio as well as PoserPro, Carrara, and Bryce can access it.

In that case I would install DS2 outside of Program Files (x86), with the content folder beneath it. Some things need to be in the internal runtime for DS2, but DS3 and DS4 are fine with external runtimes.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

The way windows 7 (and Vista) cope with old, badly behaved programs is to redirect any calls to /Program Files\DAZ3D\... to somewhere like \appdata\virtual\DAZ3D\...

It tries to do this automagically, behind the scenes but its obviously not always successful. In theory if you locate the virtual folders you could add those runtimes to DS directly and that should also work.

edited December 1969

...what about installing 2.3.3 and it's runtimes to the C:\root?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...what about installing 2.3.3 and it's runtimes to the C:\root?

That'll work.

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn't rocket science. Just basic, for heaven's sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don't just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it's kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don't suppose I'll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I've got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

JUST LIKE LAST BETA INSTALL AND THE ONE BEFORE.

Good thing i don't use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

I've had a similar experience as a Beta Tester, although attention was paid to most issues, but some important ones they never dealt with.
    It's sad that with the incredibly clever, creative, innovative improvements (like Genesis), they made the overall interface harder to learn and less easy to use (except for metadata and smart content). It's especially frustrating when things like install and uninstall, basic stuff as you rightly say, continue to break down. There is no good excuse for this.

I'm afraid but as far as am concerned, especially with the incredible BOTCHED Store Software, DAZ3D has really gone downhill. There are constant screw-ups on the web pages. I just don't even use DAZ Studio as much as I used to. It's very sad.

Dan

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Really nice update guys.

I like the additions to the scene tab edit menu. Also splitting the menus up was a good thing. Also the addition of more things into the keybinds is always a good thing. If you already did this in a previous update then my bad, but its a good addition nevertheless :)

If you could implement a way to set a key for pin/unpin with the active pose tool that would be very nice too. Right now I can pin by using ctrl click on the powerpose avatar window but it would be nice if I could pin and unpin within the viewport aswell to speed things up.

And since I am at looking at the PowerPose window, could you also perhaps split the movements inside the PowerPose window so you dont move two axis at the same time but make it so that you rather just affect ONE axis at a time using the mouse dragging over the green joint spots? So for example LMB drag would be bend up or down, RMB drag would be sideways left or right and MMB would be twist left right.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Anybody else with problems with the Bryce and the Hexagon Bridge?

Bryce_7.1.0.109
    Hexagon 2.5.1.79
    DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
    the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
    I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn't react at all.

The Bridge to Hexagon doesn't work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...

I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?

?????????????????????
    Help?

I even tried installing DS and Bryce again ... nothing doing ...

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Sending to Hexagon works here. Bryce I cannot test as Bryce won't run on my Mac.

My versions running on Mac OS X Lion: Daz Studio 4.5.1.6, Hexagon 2.5.1.79, and Hexagon Bridge 1.2.1.6

Are the installed versions of the bridges fitting to the application versions?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Anybody else with problems with the Bryce and the Hexagon Bridge?

Bryce_7.1.0.109
    Hexagon 2.5.1.79
    DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
    the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
    I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn't react at all.

The Bridge to Hexagon doesn't work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...

I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?

?????????????????????
    Help?

I even tried installing DS and Bryce again ... nothing doing ...

Have a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3T1uIjNkX4

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to mention that I had zero issues with all this. Windows 7 64. I did a clean install of the last version which seems to have made this one painless. I'd say if you did the same there is no need to do anything other than run the installer.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

OK, I did get the Bryce bridge working, the Hexagon one still is eluding me.

It included editing the registry (scary!).
    See more here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10508/

Now I am left with the nonworking Hexagon bridge ... does somebody know where to tell DazStudio that the correct version of Hexagon IS installed?