Eyebrows!

Comments

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I've been using fibermesh brows for a while now and almost passed on the Wow Brows product because of how flat they looked in most of the promos, but decided that they might well have their uses for reasonably distant characters. They would become very much more useful if there was a quick way you could give them some depth. I'm still considering the Real Eyebrows product too. Has anyone tried using UHT2 shaders on it? Is it even possible?

Divamakeup, I thought of you as soon as I saw the makeup product this morning - I had a feeling you'd enjoy that one! I know what you mean about not being able to preview the makeup, but I think my biggest problem with it is that I can't stop messing about with it. At one point I even re-created the scary blue eyeshadow look that I wore in the eighties. I swore I'd never re-visit that one - ever :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2016

I did notice  Real Eyebrows is the product that has the removal built into it, and I like that aspect so I don't buy a second product to do that.  I also noticed the template is included to design your own eyebrows (and the description said it's explained how to do that. Probably over my head, buy heh, that was a nice thing to include.) 

Jimbow said:

I just used a Real Eyebrows preset and you get geometry. Very nice they are, too. It's like having a whole bunch of different eyebrows, and then you get to shape your own.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Lyoness said:

so...

BROW REMOVER... uses a lovely script interface and LIE to copy an area of the forehead over the brow area ... it's very seamless  and looks fantastic.
    WOW BROW... uses a script interface to offer a variety of brow shapes where you can pick the color and apply it to your figure.  Allows for some fine tuning of placement.
    INSTANT MAKEUP... uses a script interface of offer a variety of makeup styles where you can pick the color.

These are all offered by ZevO, Lyoness, and Draagonstorm.

I don't know anything about the other product

Thank you for the explination! I picked up your WOW BROW and am tinkering with it. Thank you for not making mirror brows! lol I love what you said in the promo "Brows are sisters not twins". lol YES! 

I have a question - is there a way to get some depth to the brows? Or would I need to take the L.I.E. image into a program like Photoshop and create a displacement map or something?

I'm on the fence about the makeup. Can you make it look "normal"? The promos are a little over the top for my tastes.

• Can someone tell me if these products are also a merchant resource?

• Lyoness said:

so...

BROW REMOVER... uses a lovely script interface and LIE to copy an area of the forehead over the brow area ... it's very seamless  and looks fantastic.
    WOW BROW... uses a script interface to offer a variety of brow shapes where you can pick the color and apply it to your figure.  Allows for some fine tuning of placement.
    INSTANT MAKEUP... uses a script interface of offer a variety of makeup styles where you can pick the color.

Are these products also merchant resources?

• erostewerostew Posts: 214

Haven't tried Real Eyebrows but I'm pretty happy with Wow Brow. Very easy to use and a great adjunct to Brow Remover.

I'm not entirely sure that fibremesh is always better when it comes to brows so I don't mind not having it in Wow Brow.

I also tried the Oh my Brows thingy from Rendo and it works great with Brow Remover. In fact Brow Remover is kind of a no-brainer to purchase if you have Oh My Brows. So that covers the fibremesh part for me.

I wasn't too tempted by the Real Eyebrows thingy because it mentions Photoshop. Right there I figured that meant more work. Brow Remover takes approximately 45 seconds to remove the brow on my machine. Also I tried Brow remover on Freak 5 and K4 and it worked just as well as it did on G3F. Just had to set the height of the mask to -1% for Freak 5 because he has very low brows compared to default Genesis 1. So that seems to be another plus for Brow Remover since the Real Eyebrows product seems limited to G3F. Brow Remover works fine with 3DL or Iray and so does Wow Brow for anyone wondering about that. And the Instant Makeup also works fine under both render engines as do any other L.I.E products I believe. I was kind of tempted to buy Real Eyebrows just so that I could use the fibremesh brows with Brow Remover. But it wasn't really apparent from the product page if that was possible.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Lyoness said:

so...

Thank you for the explination! I picked up your WOW BROW and am tinkering with it. Thank you for not making mirror brows! lol I love what you said in the promo "Brows are sisters not twins". lol YES! 

I have a question - is there a way to get some depth to the brows? Or would I need to take the L.I.E. image into a program like Photoshop and create a displacement map or something?

I'm on the fence about the makeup. Can you make it look "normal"? The promos are a little over the top for my tastes.

Yeah, you can adjust the opacity of the makeup to make it look more natural. 

I've been using fibermesh brows for a while now and almost passed on the Wow Brows product because of how flat they looked in most of the promos, but decided that they might well have their uses for reasonably distant characters. They would become very much more useful if there was a quick way you could give them some depth. I'm still considering the Real Eyebrows product too. Has anyone tried using UHT2 shaders on it? Is it even possible?

Divamakeup, I thought of you as soon as I saw the makeup product this morning - I had a feeling you'd enjoy that one! I know what you mean about not being able to preview the makeup, but I think my biggest problem with it is that I can't stop messing about with it. At one point I even re-created the scary blue eyeshadow look that I wore in the eighties. I swore I'd never re-visit that one - ever :)

hahah Yep, it's right up my alley! :D I love it! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Since I don't use Genesis 3, Real Eyebrows is obviously out (I've found autofit for those sorts of things back generations is... iffy, particularly to follow things like expressions)

Laticis' freebie and the Alfred eyebrows will do until LAMH eyebrows come out. (Real soon, hopefully)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2016
    Havos said:

If the brows are overlayed with a patch of skin from the forehead, then I assume this would look very odd when used on an elderly skin with a lot of forehead wrinkles. Am I correct in assuming this is best used with relatively flawless skin textures associated with young females? (which admittedly represents the large majority of skins in this store).  All the promos of this product in use I have seen so far is for young female skins.

The very first skins this was tested on was old skins. It works pretty well with them. However on some skins there are wrinkles which run right across the forehead. Those wrinkles will be projected onto the nose bridge area where the mask is. That is the only problem I have found. So to resolve that, you can edit and load a mask that doesn't run right across that area (by erasing the middle section slightly) or by setting the texture height adjustment to like 13-15% which will bypasses the bulk of the wrinkle area on most skins. Here is an attachment using high texture height setting. You will see some of the wrinkle appear on the nose bridge. Skin used was Ivan 7.

Capture1.JPG
    1604 x 525 - 343K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    Jimbow said:

Yes, in fact real Brows do have geoemtry according to the File List - that was my initial reading, but soem of the pop-ups made them look like texture overlays. There's a manual on the readme page http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/34563/start (the first part of which is dicussing ways to remove brows from a texture in an image editor). Hmm, having read the manual briefly through I'm not at all sure how they work - but it does look like it is stranded, possibly with a mask controlling basic visibility.

I just used a Real Eyebrows preset and you get geometry. Very nice they are, too. It's like having a whole bunch of different eyebrows, and then you get to shape your own.

Can you please post an image or two closeup?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Since I don't use Genesis 3, Real Eyebrows is obviously out (I've found autofit for those sorts of things back generations is... iffy, particularly to follow things like expressions)

Laticis' freebie and the Alfred eyebrows will do until LAMH eyebrows come out. (Real soon, hopefully)

Alfred? I googled this...http://www.daz3d.com/fw-alfred-hd-for-michael-6

I can get Alfred for $5.74 right now after the extra discounts are applied to my cart! YEAH!

I'd still like to know if Real Eyebrows can be fitted to G2. Probably not, but it sure would be cool. And I'd like to know how its brow removal compares to that of Zev0's. Interestingly, it is the first product that iwave has released on Daz, so welcome a new PA aboard!

• As someone who loves and wears makeup, I not seeing a crease shadow for the eyes, and anyone tell me if one of the patterns provided in the makeup script have crease shadow overlay?

Thanks.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2016

"I'd like to know how its brow removal compares to that of Zev0's."

Regarding Brow removal, Real Brows contains a manual editing solution for removing the eyebrows. Brow Remover is more automated and designed to save time so you don't have to fiddle with textures\LIE or requires you to go into image editing apps like Photoshop and Gimp etc. It is kind of weird both solutions are on offer, because I created mine to eliminate the old way of removing brows to save time. However, the main focus of Real Brows is the application of the brows & features it contains, not really removal, which is what Brow Remover focuses on.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    Zev0 said:
    Havos said:

If the brows are overlayed with a patch of skin from the forehead, then I assume this would look very odd when used on an elderly skin with a lot of forehead wrinkles. Am I correct in assuming this is best used with relatively flawless skin textures associated with young females? (which admittedly represents the large majority of skins in this store).  All the promos of this product in use I have seen so far is for young female skins.

The very first skins this was tested on was old skins. It works pretty well with them. However on some skins there are wrinkles which run right across the forehead. Those wrinkles will be projected onto the nose bridge area where the mask is. That is the only problem I have found. So to resolve that, you can edit and load a mask that doesn't run right across that area (by erasing the middle section slightly) or by setting the texture height adjustment to like 13-15% which will bypasses the bulk of the wrinkle area on most skins. Here is an attachment using high texture height setting. You will see some of the wrinkle appear on the nose bridge. Skin used was Ivan 7.

That looks good, thanks for the answer.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

I bought WowBrow and the first attempt yeilded the picture below (screen grab from LIE editor).  Note that right and left brows are quite different.  What's up with that?  In LIE it shows that the mask is WowBrow_11_mask.jpg 

yes. several of the brows are not mirrors,  I used REAL people's eyebrows and I did not edit them to match.  therefore some of them are merely similar and not exact matches.  Brows are sisters not twins.

for more depth, you need to increase the amount of Bump on the face,  Wow Brow applies to the bump and spec maps as well, so you get more feel on the brows with a higher bump

Lyoness said:

I bought WowBrow and the first attempt yeilded the picture below (screen grab from LIE editor).  Note that right and left brows are quite different.  What's up with that?  In LIE it shows that the mask is WowBrow_11_mask.jpg 

yes. several of the brows are not mirrors,  I used REAL people's eyebrows and I did not edit them to match.  therefore some of them are merely similar and not exact matches.  Brows are sisters not twins.

for more depth, you need to increase the amount of Bump on the face,  Wow Brow applies to the bump and spec maps as well, so you get more feel on the brows with a higher bump

Ah, excellent! Thank you, Lyoness! :)

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    Lyoness said:

Okay. I see what you are doing and in most cases I've played with so far, the differences left/right are subtle. For this one they are totally different styles really. Not a good match in my opinion.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    Lyoness said:

Okay. I see what you are doing and in most cases I've played with so far, the differences left/right are subtle. For this one they are totally different styles really. Not a good match in my opinion.

sorry.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    Novica said:

I did notice  Real Eyebrows is the product that has the removal built into it, and I like that aspect so I don't buy a second product to do that.  I also noticed the template is included to design your own eyebrows (and the description said it's explained how to do that. Probably over my head, buy heh, that was a nice thing to include.)

They became my first choice of brow last night. Not only do they have shape options and the ability to make your own shapes, but also a number of shaping morphs (length, curl, etc). Here's a test fit onto Genesis 3 Male.

RealEyebrows_test.jpg
    299 x 299 - 112K
    Jimbow said:
    Novica said:

They became my first choice of brow last night. Not only do they have shape options and the ability to make your own shapes, but also a number of shaping morphs (length, curl, etc). Here's a test fit onto Genesis 3 Male.

It's hard to tell with the black background - do they have depth? Are those fiber mesh? Or?

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited September 2016

They're fibre mesh. The fact that it's hard to tell if they're a photo texture or geometry is a good sign, I imagine?

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Here are two images of V7, one in 3DL the other in Iray, that I used a custom mask with Brow Remover and added brows using Wow Brow. All work was in the Beta, version 4.9.3.56. The brows are #12 on the slider. I applied the brows twice, the first time with a medium chestnut color, the second time with off black and offset by setting Brow Height to -1. Both brows were added in Normal Blend mode. (I tried the double application to see if I could make the brows look thicker.)

Victoria7-3DL.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 450K
    Victoria7-Iray.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 430K
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

Finally got a chance to do some testing and lined up a comparison on Victoria. All the relevant characters scripts etc. are using their default settings (didn't tweak any masks or change to alternate shapes or colours.) For reference the original image was 1600x1800 and rendered in around 3 minutes for the image based ones, and 4 minutes for the real eyebrows.

You can see a little weird banding across that might need some postwork touching up, but as you can see from the first image, this is a problem with Victoria's base texture and not the scripts. Also on a white background so you can see the mesh eyebrows standing out. I really wish the product page for Real Eyebrows stated more clearly that they were fibremesh brows and that the adjustments were all standard morph sets - I would have saved a lot of time having to go to forums and hope someone could tell me how the product worked, potentially losing a sale.

vbrows.jpg
    824 x 1700 - 979K
    rb.JPG
    390 x 591 - 52K
    Jimbow said:
    Novica said:

Ahhh They are fiber mesh? Dang, I wish it had mentioned that in the description - the description, to me, was a bit vague. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it. 

• erostewerostew Posts: 214

It looks to be a much more useful program than was really apparent from the product page. I might have bought it if I had known some of that. But the budget boat already sank in rough waters, hehe.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Real Eyebrows for Genesis 3 Female provides Daz Studio users a complete workflow for replacing the default eyebrows of any Genesis 3 Female characters with modeled eyebrows.

Fibermesh would have been a better description ...

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,320
    edited September 2016
    Jimbow said:

They're fibre mesh. The fact that it's hard to tell if they're a photo texture or geometry is a good sign, I imagine?

You'd think so, but now I'm beginning to wonder.   I never realized that eyebrows were this important to so many people.  For the longest time everybody compliained about painted on brows, baked in brows and no color option for brows and now we've got several products that make those complaints null and void and they aren't overly expensive to try out.

Seems that confusing  product descriptions were what were throwing some people more than anything  Now we simply need users to post their images and explain what they're using and  doing and everything should straighten itself out.  To rephase Kipling, "there are now nine and sixty ways to remove and construct a brow.  And every one of them is correct."

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Jimbow said:

You'd think so, but now I'm beginning to wonder.   I never realized that eyebrows were this important to so many people.  For the longest time everybody compliained about painted on brows, baked in brows and no color option for brows and now we've got several products that make those complaints null and void and they aren't overly expensive to try out.

Seems that confusing  product descriptions were what were throwing some people more than anything  Now we simply need users to post their images and explain what they're doing and everything should straighten itself out.

Well it is also fairly evident that a lot of customers don't completely understand just how much these products can do or what they actually are. Personally I wanted a way to change eyebrows, these do that, I bought all of them, and I'm happy with all of them. But the promotion on some of the products definitely could have been better and led to more sales (as evidenced by comments in this thread.)

edited September 2016
    erostew said:

It looks to be a much more useful program than was really apparent from the product page. I might have bought it if I had known some of that. But the budget boat already sank in rough waters, hehe.

I agree. Frankly I'm pretty tired of painted on eyebrows. If I had known that product was fiber mesh I would have gotten it. Now I've got to wait until more money comes in and I doubt it will be on sale still by then. Which means I'll have to wait even longer until (hopefully) it goes on sale again - as I usually can't afford to buy Daz products unless they are on sale. Ah well. C'est la vie. 

Post edited by 3Diva on