Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited November 2012

Yeah, having the curves become flat over the surface when aggressively combing is a issue. Something like this tool sounds like a good solution. Although I doubt there is time to get it into version 1...

It are a suggestion only, not a requirement.:smirk:

I will give another suggestion, a rotate tool. Every hair guide starts from a vertex, every vertex has a normal. Using this normal as an axe, the rotate tool would rotate the full guide around this axe. It would be perfect the slight changes on the orientation of long hair guides. Otherwise the only way is to brush it, destroying any previous fine-tuning.

You have a great product in your hands. The attached figure is the result of only 20 minutes of work ( I have a clock over my desk), it's really easy and intuitive. There are 3 layers, one for the scalp, one for the top hair and the 3rd is a copy of the 2nd, less dense, another seed, a few tweaks using attract and curl tools, to provided a 'shredded' look. A nice youth mix of a tight tape and pompadour haircuts. But it is a scratch only. Starting from this point the tools that i suggested are very important. I want to change the orientation of the temple´s hair , so I use a rotate tool. I want to give more volume to the rear part of the top, so I use the puff roots tools. I can try several options of orientation and curl, up to a satisfactory result. We must use brush to determine the general shape of hair and other parametric tools to fine-tuning it, looking for the better aspect. This is practical/intuitive/productive.

There is no 3DSMax plugin with this easy workflow, very impressive. The 3DSMax native hair modifier is very powerful, but it requires a lot of practice to maintain it in control, very wild...

a.jpg
    632 x 365 - 48K
    Post edited by ekoham on
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited November 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Colour me confused cause atm it is not crashing at all when I apply hair to a geografted part.

I have a crash when parenting the hair to the geografted figure ( the genital), but there is no crash when parenting the hair to genesis with a geografted figure...

Then I started a new scene, added the genital, created a hair over the genital, added genesis and finally fitted the genitalia to genesis ... no crashes ! The hair now can be edited and saved, with no problems.

In a rough way, I can say that you must create the hair on geografted figure when it is not fitted to the main figure...you must fit it after the hair creation.

Post edited by ekoham on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I was able to create the hair on the Geografted part before parenting and after parenting. i even started a new scene, parented the part and was able to make the Garabaldi hair work with it

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I am loving this product! :)

It has been incredibly stable for me with no crashes and after playing around tweaking the samples I have created a few of my own nodes from scratch and I am starting to get the hang of it.

I find the hairlines the biggest weakness of this tool so far and would encourage some detailed tutorials on making more realistic hairlines.... also detailed tutorials on advanced use of painted base maps and colour maps would be great as I am sure I am not doing things right :)

I get stray hairs quite a bit and I find it difficult to elimate them sometimes.

when painting a base map I may be missing something but if you have painted in an area that you shouldn't have and you can no longer undo how can you erase bits of it.

I will play with colour maps based on some comments I have read in here but I am now really hanging out for some more tutorials that go beyond the introductory video.

All in all though a very intuitive and easy to use product that I can't wait to own and can't wait to watch it mature.

Well done!

GHAfro03.jpg
    924 x 1313 - 156K
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

This was my first hair from scratch.... other than I wish I knew more about fashionable womens hairstyles I like how it turned out.

Definitely very promising for such a short time playing with the plug-in. i need to improve my styling capabilities and the hairline needs serious attention but it looks far more like real hair than anything else I have ever rendered in DS.

Very exciting development for DS and I really do hope we all get pleasantly surprised by the price point as I hope that this has mass take up so that we can see it live long and prosper :D

MyNewGaribaldi05a.jpg
    924 x 1313 - 179K
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking that the hairline needs to be fairly dense with thin hairs to look right. Might make sense to paint the hairline at full density and the rest with a slightly reduced density to cut down on the hair count, same for hair thickness.

I haven't tested this yet.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thank you for the new beta to test !

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ecocam said:
    You have a great product in your hands...

Thanks...

The goal with 'Garibaldi Express' was to distill a tool to what you really actually need to create almost any hair/fur.
    Version 1 is all about getting the core algorithms done and the essential tools.
    To be honest there a lot more going on under the hood that's really needed.
    Hopefully the gamble in making a plugin for daz studio will pay off...

Hair looks great. Not bad for 20mins...

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

The previous Win 64 Beta was working fine for me. However, I just installed the update after uninstalling the previous version, There is an error on installation saying it is unable to write to Garibaldi.dll, and subsequent attempts to paint onto the selected surfaces in DS cause DS to crash.

edited December 1969

I find the hairlines the biggest weakness of this tool so far and would encourage some detailed tutorials on making more realistic hairlines....

I always try and have some photo reference to make sure I'm not doing something silly... Something like a google image search for 'Natalie Portman bald' will give you some ideas of a female hairline.
    If you can't be bothered to paint a texture map then you can always export a map from a example and import it your own garibaldi node (assuming your using a genesis figure).

when painting a base map I may be missing something but if you have painted in an area that you shouldn't have and you can no longer undo how can you erase bits of it.

Set the 'Value' parameter in the 'Paint Brush Settings' of 0.0 will make the brush black.

Alternatively you can click and move the mouse in the viewport when press the 'v' key on the keyboard. You can also change the brush size with the same action while pressing the 'b' key.
    (Will get around to documenting these random things someday).

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited November 2012

Is there a way to retarget a Garibaldi hair to a different figure, ie make a hair for one Genesis and then change it to say a different Genesis?

Post edited by ketthrove on
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    The previous Win 64 Beta was working fine for me. However, I just installed the update after uninstalling the previous version, There is an error on installation saying it is unable to write to Garibaldi.dll, and subsequent attempts to paint onto the selected surfaces in DS cause DS to crash.

Try uninstalling then re-downloading and installing again.
    If it still doesn't work can you check if the version is '0.5.0.1' in the Information panel when 'Garibaldi Hair Plugin' is selected in the 'Help->About Installed Plugins...' dialog from the daz menus...
    edited November 2012

ketthrove said:
    Is there a way to retarget a Garibaldi to a different figure, ie make a hair for Genesis A and then change it to say a different Genesis?

Yes... Go into the all parameters in the garibaldi daz node and click on the 'Parent Geometry' entry to change the figure. Figures have to be of the same type for this to work.
    (Seems you need to move/pose the new parent geo for the change to register currently.)

If you wish to fine tune the hair in garibaldi on the new figure or pose/morph then the 'Update Surfaces' button in the setup workspace of the garibaldi editor.

Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    thank you for the new beta to test !

Hopefully I've fixed more things than broken...

Using 'Garibaldi' on a 32bit Windows system is still not recommended or supported. It will almost certain crash in rendering with 3Delight for some ukown reason. This is high on the list of changes in the next beta...

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:

Try uninstalling then re-downloading and installing again.
    If it still doesn't work can you check if the version is '0.5.0.1' in the Information panel when 'Garibaldi Hair Plugin' is selected in the 'Help->About Installed Plugins...' dialog from the daz menus...

Still getting the same error on install, as below.

Version reported by DS 0.4.0.1 - but it would be if it can't write the plugin .dll for the new version.

garibaldi.jpg
    663 x 333 - 100K
    edited November 2012

Marieah said:
    Still getting the same error on install, as below.

Delete that file shown in the error message manually and click retry...
    Hopefully this is not an issue with the previous beta's uninstaller for everyone.
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited November 2012

I had no trouble with uninstallation or installation. My DS4 isn't installed under any UAC protected directory (Program Files).

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

Has anyone else noticed the hair sometimes changing when switching tools? If memory serves I've seen this happen with the curl tool a few times, possibly others as well.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Has anyone else noticed the hair sometimes changing when switching tools? If memory serves I've seen this happen with the curl tool a few times, possibly others as well.

Yeah, the value based tools sometimes fail to finalise and reset themselves when you switch to another tool. I forgot to put this on the known issues list.
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Well, it seems several of the questions I was going to ask have been answered tonight. :-)

I can create texture maps and use them in the colour channel on the distribution pane but I noticed that only the "Hair Density" map is available in the dropdown for distribution settings. Is this correct behaviour?

Also, I still can't get signed up for the downloads so how can I get the latest version?

This is really looking good. Makes it fun to play with the hair. :-)

HairTestBack.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 323K
    HairTestFront.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 324K
  • HellKoreaHellKorea Posts: 17
    edited November 2012

i've got new Beta5. Thanks Garibaldi~ It so cool hair system.

====================================
    i found a problem.

Style >> comb brush settings >> Fall off

just numeric input is ok
    but i can't drag slider bar with my mouse.

2012-11-08_152223.jpg
    632 x 817 - 46K
    Post edited by HellKorea on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,670
    edited December 1969

I've installed it, but my PC is really weak to handle, and crash my DAZ. How can i disinstall it?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I've installed it, but my PC is really weak to handle, and crash my DAZ. How can i disinstall it?

Go to your Dazstudio folder (the one with the program) and in the subfolder Uninstallers.
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Installed the 0.5 beta without first uninstalling the 0.4 (I was hoping the installer would do that). Now, when loading a previously saved scene DS4.5 crashes.
    Scenes created from fresh with current (0.5) version load fine.

• edited December 1969

jerrycrow said:
    i've got new Beta5. Thanks Garibaldi~ It so cool hair system.

====================================
    i found a problem.

Style >> comb brush settings >> Fall off

just numeric input is ok
    but i can't drag slider bar with my mouse.

Same problem here on Vista. I'm also not getting clumping to work as shown in the video.

The good news is that the new beta fixed the UV problem so you can add any texture to genesis.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited December 1969

I've entered my email address twice now on the download page, and have yet to receive an email with the link(s).

• edited December 1969

I've entered my email address twice now on the download page, and have yet to receive an email with the link(s).

The email looks like spam to many filters so you need to check your spam folder.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited December 1969

Dang! I'm so used to using Thunderbird, that I forget to check my Gmail account online. Thanks, I have it now :)

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    I can create texture maps and use them in the colour channel on the distribution pane but I noticed that only the "Hair Density" map is available in the dropdown for distribution settings. Is this correct behaviour?
    Colour maps can only be used in the colour options of the distribution workspace and grey maps only can be used in the other texture controlled options.

Also, I still can't get signed up for the downloads so how can I get the latest version?

If anyone has difficulty receiving the automated emails just email me directly and I'll send you some links.
    edited December 1969

jerrycrow said:
    Style >> comb brush settings >> Fall off...
    ...i can't drag slider bar with my mouse.

Yeah I changed something with the slider this beta version. Accidentally pasted the wrong variable in the code. Will fix...
This discussion has been closed.