Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

How do you import colour maps? When I am in the Paint window and select Import I get no options and the colour map I imported came in as grey and not coloured.

After selecting the directory of containing the maps you wish to import you should see a dialog box where you can specify a garibaldi texture name and type (grey/colour) using a drop down menu.

Thanks for that... I eventually figured that out but it wasn't apparent that that was a drop down at first.... but it works really well. I think I am getting there with learning about this plugin now and I have found it really stable.

I have a quad processor with 8gb of RAM and have had no crashes so I have been pretty impressed with the stability and maturity of the tool. The only issue I had was when the hair in my recent render above was being worked on it went really crazy on me after I first got the colour maps working but luckily I save often and had versions to go back to.

I have found the curl tool on the style page is not working atm so I have just been keeping away from it as it totally screws up all my curves if I use it now.

Other than that though great job with this amazing tool!

:D

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 458
    edited December 1969

Saving Pre sets...?

Has anyone tried this....?
    Seems I dont get any results...
    Now mind you I am running a machine thats under specs...
    But then again I am getting Long in the tooth...

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Saving Pre sets...?

Material presets?
    Yeah, it's on the known issue list... soon...
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:

I still think my take on hair styles is a little dated but I am getting there lol

Looks like 80's bangs, lol. Much better than anything I've managed.

Yes very 80's :)

I will try for something more current next!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well...

With this version I can actually run the installer without it crashing. I can create the node and edit it...to a point. I can go to any section of the editor before or after Paint...except Distribute. I can go there before painting but not after. I can even save/load maps. I can play with the sample files. I just can't create anything new, because I crash. So, as it stands, using the WINE rating system...it's at Bronze.

I've been having power problems the past couple of days...they are still fixing storm damage, so during the day I'm likely to loose power. So, I'll eventually get a crash dump for you, FB.

edited November 2012

foleypro said:
    Saving Pre sets...?

Material presets?
    Yeah, it's on the known issue list... soon...

Material Pre sets would be nice...

I am talking about actual Presets of the hair nodes aka mesh...?

Post edited by foleypro on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Not great, but then I'm not a stylist - virtual or otherwise. :-)

Anyway, I'm either starting to get the hang of this or I'm faking it real good. :lol:

GaribaldiHair2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 166K
    edited December 1969

I have been having fun playing with long hair and whilst I am liking where it is going I am wasting a lot of time trying to eliminate strands that poke out all over the place with no obvious curves creating them. This is my biggest frustration at the moment that I can't always determine what curves are causing errant strands and it takes forever to tweak them away... or I mess things up and give up in frustration :(

This long hair has some stray strands I would love to get rid of but it is not too bad now after heaps of tweaking to get rid of them.

I am still loving this tool though and I have created the basis of several hairstyles that I will definitely use in my renders so I am excited that it is living up to my expectations..... and that even I can create usable hair with it :)

NewGHLong01.jpg
    919 x 1024 - 133K
    edited December 1969

You can CUT the stray strands away in Garibaldi...

Nice job Guys...

Unfortunately my Machine specs are Below the required specs...Which is cool because when I create something a customer with a rocket ship will be able to easily recreate...

edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    You can CUT the stray strands away in Garibaldi...

Nice job Guys...

Unfortunately my Machine specs are Below the required specs...Which is cool because when I create something a customer with a rocket ship will be able to easily recreate...

You can only cut the curves and not the strands of hair and it is almost impossible to know which curves are causing the strands I am fighting with otherwise it wold be easy to deal with.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited November 2012

OK, stupid question of the day: is there a possibility to "reset" all Styles?
    I have cut too much in a place I didn't see ...
    I tried with going back to paint and distribute, but there is nothing (I can find) that helps there.
    I tried exporting the painted hair density map - that worked, and I can go from there, but a Reset would be nice.

Now I prefer to jump between paint and style - and paint until there are no unruly hairs to see.
    And I do look inside the head - there are some hairs inside too - sticking at angles outside.

A RGB colour chart: http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/haircolor.jpg

By the way: when I first go to Paint still can't paint at once. I have to wiggle the camera, then I can paint.

Edited to add: Windows 64bit, DS 4.5.1.6 and Garibaldi-Express-64bit-0_5

Post edited by Kerya on
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Select the hair guides that you want to reset and apply the 'Attract' tool. Set a negative value. Using -1 will reset the guide to the original position ( but will not modify the actual hair length ).

edited November 2012

ecocam said:
    Kerya said:

Select the hair guides that you want to reset and apply the 'Attract' tool. Set a negative value. Using -1 will reset the guide to the original position ( but will not modify the actual hair length ).

Thank you!
    But no reset for stupidly miscalculatedly cut hair?
    Like in reality I have to wait until it grows again?
    LOL

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Having fun - and I even found out how to do those texture maps.
    I am very, very careful about cutting hair now. ;-)

kids4.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 189K
  • edited December 1969

Kerya and Mangey, your hairs are looking great.

I'm having a problem with hair not following the guides. I can comb it down the sides and with short hair I still always have some poking up in the middle.

• edited November 2012

Hi,

New to posting here and pretty new to Daz 3D.

This Garibaldi beta plugin looks pretty awesome.

Here's my attempt at it.

Now just have to learn how to use texture maps in it, or how to use them at all.

Blonde_Hair_Wavy2.jpg
    865 x 819 - 237K
    FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg
    1677 x 1677 - 595K
    Post edited by gensi1_a428e67b3d on
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

That looks amazing. Well done!

edited December 1969

A couple more attempts.

GreenHairAndDryden.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 365K
    DrydenTopknot.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 584K
    edited December 1969

A short frizzy cropped attempt

:)

Cropped01.jpg
    886 x 1244 - 103K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I'm having some weirdness happening... And I'm only in the paint section lol

Am I doing something wrong? When I paint, the paint goes all over the place :S

Untitled-1.jpg
    1096 x 802 - 515K
    edited November 2012

I realized you must do it on "Default" genesis, not a morphed character. I didn't realize morphs must be done after. ;-P

Edited to add: I agree with those who have suggested an undo feature as well :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited November 2012

Then that's different from the Generation4 - I did paint and create the hair on a morphed Kids4.

Edited to add: if the Lycan is possible, it should be possible to use on morphed Genesis ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/P225/#158545

Another edit: some steps undos are possible with ctrl+z (or Edit menu / Undo)

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited November 2012

Odd. Some reason it just wouldn't work on my morphed up genesis character :S I'll try it again when I'm done with the hair style, and see if it was just some random glitch.

Edit in response to your edit: yeah lol i suddenly realized there was a menu bar with undo lmao

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Spyro, I am pretty sure I have painted on a morphed genesis as well... although I am not doing much painting at all now as I have sevral saved maps I keep importing.

here is a male Garibaldi :)

The facial hair is part of the texture! (Jaime)

GHMale02.jpg
    886 x 1244 - 109K
    edited December 1969

Looks like a nice short hair!

edited December 1969

Spyro, I am pretty sure I have painted on a morphed genesis as well... although I am not doing much painting at all now as I have sevral saved maps I keep importing.

here is a male Garibaldi :)

The facial hair is part of the texture! (Jaime)

How do you save the maps? I cant find a save option in the paint section.

(I'll test it again on morphed genesis, I have no idea why it went all screwy) Also You are getting so good at this Well done man!

edited December 1969

In the paint screen there are import and export options. I export one when I am happy with it and then import it into subsequent hair nodes.

edited November 2012

In the upper right - there are buttons to rename your maps and to export a map.

It is a bit unusual, because you only choose a directory, not a filename.
    Hint: rename first, or you get all directories named with the default name.
    Inside the directory you choose it will create a directory with the name of the map selected in the field above those buttons.
    Inside this directory there will be some files as png. They are named by the part of the UVmap (skin_face, skin_head) you have chosen in the first tab of Garibaldi.
    The density maps are called grey, the colour maps colour.
    There is a dropdown in the import menu to choose.

It doesn't remember the last directory you have chosen.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys :cheese: Wow this is such a cool plug in! LOL I discovered I didn't set enough hair follicles... It's hard to judge before you start styling haha!

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I'm having some weirdness happening... And I'm only in the paint section lol

Am I doing something wrong? When I paint, the paint goes all over the place :S

This seems to be a problem introduced in the .5 beta since it didn't happen in.4.

As far as I have been able to determine, you can still paint on morphed/posed figures as long as you set them up first. If you make changes to the figure and use the update surfaces button in the setup tab, then any hair nodes that already exist will do that. New nodes may or may not work properly after you use update surfaces.

There also seems to be a problem with starting the paint in that nothing will happen until you "jiggle" the image first.

I think this may be related to the UV map problem that was fixed. In the previous version, if you changed the texture on the character so that it uses a different UV map from the one that was used when you create the hair then the hair would not render. This is fixed in .5.

This discussion has been closed.