The new Centaur 'n stuff thread - reloaded

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    I'm glad I started doing this recently, because my 'buy-in' is Genesis and Genesis 2. I debated Genesis 2 a lot, but with GenX2 it gives me huge leeway to mix and match.
  • McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

Hi Carrie!   Hey y'all!   I am glad to still be able to get up and around ok most days.   I still enjoy this 3D stuff.  Always will I think!

McG.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Glad to hear it I'm still working at getting settled ,unpacked and organized ........who knew it could take so long!!,then I can get back to playing more with the 3D stuff and my sculpting.

Yeah no kidding with the 'take so long' thing!   Been a little over six months now since I replaced that last 1 TB data drive that konked out.  Still installing stuff from my saved archive files, and still recreating character Figures.  At least I DID save most of my fave character creations as "Morph Poses".  That way, when I load the pose, as long as all the right morph packs are loaded, the character is too.  Whew! 

Sculpting?!  Clay?   Whether with hands in mud or 3D, it's a good thing!  :o)

McG.

Yup sculpting with polymer clay ,that's what got me into DAZ  in the first place ,looking for something to use as models to work from and my little sketches weren't proportional enough ...

Ah!  Someone else that uses the polymer clay!  I buy the non-hardening kind.  My eldest took my near 10 pounds I had and gave it to her eldest daughter.  My eldest grandchild.  She's in 20's, married.  No great grandkids yet.  I'm too young for that!  LOL!  But she showed a huge interest in using the clay herself.  And has sculpted a bunch of neat things.  So, I'll order a new batch.  I think I can get it thru WalMart.  And I can get it in more likable colors too!  Like white, beige, gray, brown.  Normal colors.  The old stuff was in blue, magenta, yellow and green. 
    Do you recall what brand yours is right off?

McG.  :)

edited May 2016

Oh jeepers I use the kind that you can harden in the home oven,Premo ,Cernit ,Super Sculpy ,Fimo ,I tend to mix the different brands and I have a convection oven dedicated to just the clay (just in case)
    .I've gotten mine at Jo-Ann Fabrics,WalMart ,and on-line .......I love it it satisfies my "NOW" impulses and my being 1 focused ,I'm a horrible multi-tasker, oh and the Premo comes in just about every color under the sun,and the ones it doesn't come in you can mix up yourself .

Post edited by carrie58 on
    I'm glad I started doing this recently, because my 'buy-in' is Genesis and Genesis 2. I debated Genesis 2 a lot, but with GenX2 it gives me huge leeway to mix and match.

When I got into this scene, Generation 3 was IT, and so I got into Aiko 3, then added Terai Yuki 2.  There were a lot of free Figures, so i got Laroo2 and Alexa, then Apollo Max.  All of those are what I call the Gen 3 group of Figures.  Of them, only Aiko3 is a DAZ product.  I did get some of the Mike3 and Vicky3 stuff, yeah bought the morph packs and a few clothing items.  But no one was getting what they really wanted to see from any of those Figures.  Then V4 came out.  I didn't like what I was seeing, so I didn't buy.  Then a few months later V4.1 was released, better but still no go.  A full year after release of V4.0 DAZ released V4.2, and nobody got any discounts to offset the poor grades before it.  I did buy V4.2, even though I could see plenty of gripes about certain problem areas.  Like having to use Magnetize Clothing.  Didn't have to use that with M4, which came out two years later on the heels of Girl 4.  M4 got fixed.  V4?   Nope.  That would have required a complete mesh remake according to some experts.  So with the plethora of DAZ Morph Packs, 3rd party morph packs and fixit packs, thousands of character sets, and probably ten times as many clothing items than characters, V4 became a really decent and usable Figure.  M4 and K4 are too.  But V4?  Everything under the sun is out for her and more still coming.  
    In total, at all stores I use, I have spent over $20,000.00 US for this hobby, in CONTENT ALONE.  I've bought quite a bit of software too, including DS3Advanced Bundle.  Carrara Pro.  Bryce.  Hexagon.  But it's the CONTENT we actually have the most fun with.  The software just gets us TO the content. 
    Came a point I made the decision to stop investing in new products.   Since I enjoy using Poser, if it won't work in Poser then I just don't need it.  HEMI426's Centaurs kits were created using mostly Gen4 Figures and the MilHorse/MilFoal/MilBigCat and aso the DAZ Charger.  So everyone of you that want to "do" centaurs with anything other than those, pardon my ignoring your posts.  I won't be buying the HiveWire Horse, I DID buy the DAZ Horse 2 and determined it isn't any better than the MilHorse really.   So, I am an old man, beat up, beat on, bent over, disabled and still enjoying as much as I possibly can in Life.  Especially stuff I can sit down and do.  :) 

Y'all ALL have fun, enjoy a beautiful day!  I sure will.  :o)

McG.

I like to do crazy stuff like elephant centaurs and whatnot.

As a kid, what I wanted to do as an adult was 'make creatures!' Well, then I found out genetic engineering isn't, um, that dramatic.

But hey, now I can make creatures. RAAR

CREATURES HA HA

Eletaur.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Definitely a creature Will

Yes, definitely a creature!   Save it as a full scene file, with JUST the creature in the scene.    About it;  it's a good idea, and a pretty good start.  You can see the seam line where the human/animal is joined.  This can possiby be smoothed in with a blending transmap to the elephants neck part.  If this is Geneiss (n) then there is already a transmap in place, right?  in that case, the transitioning is at the bottom of that transmap.  I'd use an eraser at 40% hardness and 40% opacity along the bottom edge.  Might have to do that with the humanoid upper also.  I don't know, haven't messed with Genesis like this.

McG.

Yeah, I was hoping it would look like a natural fold line between the two parts, but a transmap would probably be better.

edited May 2016

Maybe if you did a bit of post work shadeing ,it would look more like a fold ,cause right now it is a bit abrupt ......

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited July 2016

I made a short animation with some centaurs and a sharktaur. I call it Jersey Shore Centaurs:

https://youtu.be/IqxmbI06oEU

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • Waking up this thread again - trying to build a centaur based off Ginger's Centaur tutorial (Vicky 6 and Horse 2). Weird thing is that when I apply the trans map, half of the body of the horse goes invisible! A little weird, to be honest. New to doing the melding together, and playing with the parameters, and have NEVER buit a transmap before. Any suggestions on where to start?

Frequently with the trans maps the figure while in preview looks partially invisible ,but it renders fine .which personally I find makes it hard to pose and position ,so I usually remove the transmap in the surface tab and replace it when I'm ready to render

• I see what you mean, carrie58, regarding it rendering okay.

As an aside - if you don't mind playing with the numbers a bit, ginger's instructions for building a centaur with V6 and Horse 2 work just as well with G3F. I'm in the midst of finalizing one right now, using FWSA FInley as the base. I did one with Girl 7 as well, using the instructions, but it looked a bit too cartoony for my needs at the moment. But it's nice to know that her instructions are a PERFECT starting point for tweaking.

Oh - another aside. If you want the centaur's height to be based more off a human size, follow all the instructions, and once you have her parented to Horse 2's chest, choose DAZ Horse 2 in the select pane and change the scale to roughly 75%. (That's something you can toy around with for your own looks, but it came out to roughly a human height, from hoof to top of head. I know this because I made a scene with a shrunken centaur and a different character of mine, and they were of a similar height. Centaur was taller, but still within human ranges.)

Do you still want to make your own trans mat??

• Learning to make my own trans map would be a good thing.I've wanted to get into a bit more than just following other people's ideas. I'm thinking of dealing with Marvelous Designer to make some of the outfits I see in my head that I'd like my characters to wear. (And I have a friend who can get me any number of outfit designs, since she's something of a seamstress. *grin*)

Being able to make a transparency map that did what I want it to is a good thing. I've seen a few tutorials available, but they all seem to be on YouTube, and oddly, I don't really get it that well from someone blazing through a video. Give me step by step that I can refer back to on paper as I go through it, and I'll have it in a heartbeat. (I've already got some of the centaur numbers memorized. *laugh*)

• Has anyone else had the transmap appear strange in the preview but render OK (Daz Studio 4.9)?

I apply the transmap and it appears to make one half of the horse invisible (along with numerous small blocks here and there).

This is the transmap on Daz Horse 2 but the same issue can be seen with the Hivewire horse (where it's in the wrong spot anyway - but that's easy to fix by creating a new one).

and..... I just tested - the Mill horse also has the same issue.

Any ideas?

Weird preview.jpg
    886 x 1564 - 263K

That's normal in DAZ Studio ,I don't know why but it is  ,I usually don't apply the trans map until I'm ready to render ,cause for me it makes posing a pain in the rear,you will find the same issues with mermaid tails too

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

OpenGL, which is what is used to render the main viewport, doesn't handle overlapping transparency very well, so it won't give a realistic picture in those cases.  I've seen cases where OpenGL gets confused becuase a figure has a transmap on both the feet and the eyelashes.

So it's the OpenGL that's the issue ?? hmmm I'm still in the dark ,but that's okay I'm learning to like the dark??and finding my way aroundlaugh

• can it be fixed? because it's been annoying since i had DAZ 4.6.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It works correctly when you render in 3Delight or Iray (or if you use Iray to render the Aux Viewport).

Yup it does render fine but it is aggravating when you are fiddleing with setting up the scene or posing ........heck Mike I'm still learning 3Delight haven't even started try Iray ...... so I'll just stick with my work around .remove transmap,replace transmap laugh

• I'm glad to read I'm not the only one with this problem............

Weird though; I've never had any issue with transmaps in any other situation - guess if God meant for us to make centaurs he/she would have sent down a transmap that works without issue (sorry, I couldn't think of anything witty after, "If God meant..." - I've got a cold...sniff).........

• Could someone please re-upload the dad links atthe start of this thread? I've ben looking for centaur stuff to use with V4 and M4 for ages!!