WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST

12345679»

Comments

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

This is my WIP for my second entry. I know I still need to deal with the poke-through, which I haven't figured out how yet since it seems to be happening entirely in Lux. In Daz, no poke-through appears. (Photoshop may be my friend there.)

A young elf and orc go trick-or-treating dressed as humans.

trickortreat.jpg
    800 x 600 - 92K
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

You could try this tutorial one way to kill poke through tut Hope it's of some help.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I came up with this idea when I read the post about wanting to see more "trick or treat" images.

Ready to Trick or Treat

halloween.jpg
    800 x 600 - 477K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I only have this to say, ALL you folks are great. Great art, great ideas, and well just great because you do great stuff when people say stuff.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much, Jad :cheese:

Tweaked the Phantom render and I think I'm getting closer :lol:

Unhappily-Ever-After-15%-cleaner.png
    800 x 800 - 347K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Here's version two of my (first?) entry WIP. Obviously there's a problem with the surface settings on the king's fur collar...I'll try to fix that for the next time. I changed his costume around and gave him some hair. I also changed the overall lighting...still needs some work (I'm not very good at lighting nighttime scenes yet), but I think it's somewhat improved.

Still to do: tweak poses, give the two foreground characters some sort of trick-or-treating containers, continue to work on lighting, experiment with different camera angles and/or aspect ratios. Any feedback is welcome.

trick_or_treat_2a.jpg
    800 x 800 - 395K
    edited December 1969

Here's version two of my (first?) entry WIP. Obviously there's a problem with the surface settings on the king's fur collar...I'll try to fix that for the next time. I changed his costume around and gave him some hair. I also changed the overall lighting...still needs some work (I'm not very good at lighting nighttime scenes yet), but I think it's somewhat improved.

Still to do: tweak poses, give the two foreground characters some sort of trick-or-treating containers, continue to work on lighting, experiment with different camera angles and/or aspect ratios. Any feedback is welcome.

This is great, Scott :-)

I don't know if you want to give it a comic-creepy vibe, but how about using a Dutch tilt with a shorter focal length to increase the distance (or longer to compress it)? With or without wild neon rim lighting for weird highlights.:lol:

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Inspired by you all I made this (PC members only link) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9337/P135/#149074 my first ever creepy image.

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

I'm guessing the deadline is at the end of the day Daz time (or here's hoping) . . . so here's what I currently have from what I've been working on.

Any tips to make it better is greatly appreciated.

Title: Uh ...... wrong party?
    Software used: Daz Studio with signature added postwork.

11234.JPG
    765 x 620 - 311K
    edited December 1969

Great concept, and I love the poses and camera angle! The lighting looks fine, but may be too even (might be improved by having the left side of the image lit differently than the right side, for example). You could try adding some back lighting to the couple on the left... My only other feedback is that I'd like to see some more detail on the floor and something in the background through the doorway to the left...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day to get your renders over into the main contest thread.

• bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for your feedback, links, input and most of all patience.

I really learned a lot past month.

Cheers!

edited October 2012

Currently rendering what might be my final render for my first entry. If I finish it with enough time to spare, I may try to put together a second entry (WIP below). More likely, I'll finish this tomorrow and submit it to a different Halloween contest.

I had the idea of a monster-in-costume render before I saw Fobok1's impressive work, but mine was influenced by Fobok's to the extent that it made me reconsider my ideas and find a way to put a different spin on it.

oagrehalloween1a.jpg
    565 x 800 - 383K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

Great concept, and I love the poses and camera angle! The lighting looks fine, but may be too even (might be improved by having the left side of the image lit differently than the right side, for example). You could try adding some back lighting to the couple on the left... My only other feedback is that I'd like to see some more detail on the floor and something in the background through the doorway to the left...

Thanks for the advice. After working on it for so long, I ended up only seeing it as how I expect it to look rather than how it may actually appear.

This was the first time I used Haunted Mansion after installing it. For some reason the floor load up as completely black even with a spotlight shined on it. After changing the surface color, the floor texture (design) appeared.

Here's how it looks now.

11637.JPG
    765 x 620 - 335K
    edited October 2012

@Denny L: I think it turned out very well!

DS4.5 crashed on me after 7+ hours of rendering time! Now in the middle of re-rendering with fewer lights (I might have gone overboard with the lights the first time, anyway)...don't know if it will finish on time, but that's okay...it was a fun project. I'll share here when it's finished regardless.

I might have learned after last month's contest that I should give myself some time to spare... :-P

Update: should be just a few more minutes...

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Here it is! Just posted to the contest thread...hope it's not too late. Thanks everyone for your feedback along the way! I'll post my completed Ogre Family render (WIP above) when it's ready, but of course that one is not going to be an entry at this point...

trickortreat2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 435K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK, LAST CALL FOR RENDERS TO BE MOVED TO THE CONTEST THREAD>

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

The contest is now closed. Good job to everyone who took part.

edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    Thank you all for your feedback, links, input and most of all patience.

I really learned a lot past month.

Cheers!

I second this :-) And a huge thanks to Ilena and Scott for their input :lol:

Especially because I started not to suck 2 weeks ago, October 18, and posted something that I was finally happy with. :red:

Y'all rock :cheese:

edited December 1969

Here it is! Just posted to the contest thread...hope it's not too late. Thanks everyone for your feedback along the way! I'll post my completed Ogre Family render (WIP above) when it's ready, but of course that one is not going to be an entry at this point...

Love the use of a subtle Dutch Tilt, Scott :-)

Break a leg! :cheese:

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Good luck to everybody! This will be a close competition, I think, a lot of very cool art. :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited November 2012

bluemoon said:
    Pic 1 is a side view of the scene and the prop is Lyns Dark Rites.

Pic 2 is looking through the default camera, I have only put one spotlight in the scene pointing straight down to keep it dark so that the changes will be very easy to spot.

Pic 3 In one of Preta3D's videos on YouTube he shows how to light a window by puting a plane on the outside to give light something to bounce off. Mine is probably way too big and I light the plane with a spotlight and adjusted it so I had a fairly even coverage when looking from the inside.

Pic 4 For the light shining through the window I used another spot light at a very steep angle as I wanted the light to be confined around the character and the alter. I changed the lights parameters to an intensity of 800% with raytraced shaddows and a shaddow softness of 5%.

Pic 5 Thanks to Richard Haseltine for this. By opening the diffuse map in an image editor and inverting it (be sure to save it with a different name) then loading the inverted image into the opacity channel on the surfaces tab the light shining through the window will pick up the colours and project them into the scene.

Thanks for this bluemoon. I tried that years ago with Bryce 4, but never tried it with Poser or DS in the intervening years, so this is welcome information for me. ;-)
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • edited December 2012

You're welcome Miss B

My 100th post..... a milestone.

Post edited by bluemoon_524a0e29ba on