TabascoJack's House of Hot Sauce and Art

Comments

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited August 2016

As promised in @divamakeup's Muse thread, I'll be starting a set of renders around the Dream Home set, specifically focusing on updating them with Iray shaders.

Before I get started, let's talk lighting.  Pretty much all of the rooms have overhead recessed can lights.  In the original 3DL, they may have had ambient properties; I simply never looked.  When I first updated these for Iray, I simply made the light glass surfaces emissive, and that works OK.  But I wanted to use IES profiles to really simulate the light coming out of an architectural fixture.  The problem is that IES profiles are designed so that light shoots down the Z axis, because almost every 3D modeling software out there uses Z as the vertical axis.  Daz is the one of the exceptions.  You can put an IES profile on an emissive surface, and it shoots out the side of it.  So, for all of the scenes that follow, there are pointlights immediately below the recessed cans.  These pointlights have been rotated so that Z points down, and have had IES profiles assigned.  The emissive surfaces have just enough lumens on them to glow, but the real light source is the pointlights.

As a side benefit, the following before and after pictures will all have the exact same lighting as it does not depend on Iray emissive surfaces.

First, both alphabetically and in simplicity, is the basement.

Before (Out of the box 3DL shaders, converted to Iray Uber)

After (Using primarily MEC4D's and JGreenlees' Iray shaders)

DH-Basement-Base.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 311K
    DH-Basement-Iray.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 318K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Looks great so far.  Great point about the IES profiles and DS.  I didn't realize that when I first started using Iray.  Made for some interesting attempts to get the lighting right! blush  One of these days, I'm going to have to finish redecorating mine as well.  I'm excited to see what you end up doing with all of the rooms.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

My other muse, Kayla.

She and Beka purchased their necklaces from the same shop.

Set is Dream Home, with some mucking about in the Geometry editor to split out some surfaces, and MEC4D's PBR shaders.

One of these days I'll go back through the whole Dream Home set and finish updating it with new shaders.

Simply stunning. I'm glad you posted it here as well as the Muses thread - it deserves to be seen more. You did a great job here. Kayla is one of the pretties characters I've seen - and that background/environment! It looks so good! 

edited August 2016

Whoa! The Dream Home reshading project looks like it's going well - the difference in that room is NIGHT AND DAY! Wow!

I'm looking forward to seeing the other rooms too. I really love seeing the before and after shot - looks like a home renovation show! TabascoJack's Extreme Home Makeover. lol

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited August 2016

So next up in the Dream Home Extreme Makeover (thanks for the title, @divamakeup!) is the Dining Room.  Why?  Because it's next alphabetically.......This is going to be a bigger effort than the basement, for a couple of reasons.  

First, I went with the Eclectic Decor on the dining room, because I like the idea of a formal dining room.  But this means it's not just simple surfaces anymore, there's a lot more done with textures.  Second, I've got the Eclectic furniture set here as well.  This renovation will take a couple of posts.

Here's the original 3Delight version....well, almost.  There's no overhead or pointlights here - it's just the chandelier.  So I set the bulbs to emissive so we'd have some light, and we also have the HDRI.  But other than that, it's all the original shaders.

Before

So there's a couple of things here.....note the gap between the wall sections.  Turns out, you really need the Dream Home - Roof product as well.  The Roof module isn't just the roof; it also covers some outside walls.  In this case, it's needed to cover the gaps.  I also have the Foyer/Living Room installed, as it fills up the space behind the camera and keeps the HDRI from impacting the light from there.

Going through the surfaces started off relatively easy, until I got to the ceiling.  It's one surface and a texture map, representing multiple types of surfaces (wood, plaster, paint).  Note the wood moulding.  It's a texture, with the reflection baked in to the image.

The good news is that the geometry supports separating the surface out into different areas.  Using the Geometry Editor, re-assigned the moulding to a new surface, and did the same for the plaster area in between the moulding.   Applied new wood and paint shaders to those parts of the ceiling, and paint shader to rest of the celing with the existing texture to get the following:

The moulding now has accurate reflections, and the painted portions look slightly better...

More to come on the Dining Room later.

DH-DiningRoom-Emissive.jpg
    919 x 919 - 648K
    DH-DiningRoom-Ceiling-Base.jpg
    919 x 919 - 722K
    DH-DiningRoom-Ceiling-Iray.jpg
    919 x 919 - 698K
    edited August 2016

...so I brought out the trusty Geometry Editor again - the windows were all one surface, with the dark wood panes painted on.  Likewise the outlets and swtich were all one surface.  Ended up breaking them apart and reassigning to new surfaces.  For the windows, I wanted to keep the external panes white to match the rest of the house, but have the internal ones dark.  So another reason why I had to play with surface assignment.

I hid the furniture so that you can see the differences in the room.

Before (Base 3Delight Shader)

After (MEC4D, JGreenlees shaders)

Now to work on the furniture!

DH-DiningRoom-Empty-Base.jpg
    919 x 919 - 651K
    DH-DiningRoom-Empty-Iray.jpg
    919 x 919 - 615K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Fab renders, you did a fantastic job on sword first page.  Dinig room, perfect lair for my vampires,  Know what you mean, I purchase Dream home in sections, fill gaps with plane surface.    

edited August 2016

The furniture didn't actually take very long...Only a minor geometry change on the Chandelier candles - I wanted them to be something other than the same metal as the chandelier itself.

The rest of the surfaces were pretty much straight replacements.

A key thing to remember:  I've found that in a lot of cases, you don't want to necessarily use the 3DL Bump map as the bump map in Iray, unless it's the only choice.  In a lot of cases, the 3DL Displacement map (if it exists) makes a better bump map in Iray.  And for what it's worth, I've never had much luck with the Iray displacement map.  The chairs and china cabinet detail work is all displacement maps slotted into the Bump slot, with a value of 5.  The glass is the standard Thin Glass.

Before

After

China Cabinet

DH-DiningRoom-Base.jpg
    919 x 919 - 653K
    DH-DiningRoom-Iray.jpg
    919 x 919 - 631K
    DH-DiningRoom-ChinaCabinet.jpg
    919 x 919 - 559K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This is amazing.  I only have a couple of the pieces for this mostly just the furniture.  Hopefully they will go on sale in the next couple months in the PC+ sale.

edited August 2016

Thanks!  I really like how the China Cabinet and Chairs came out.  Cath's shaders are the best.  I can't wait for the volume with all the wood shaders!

That dining room looks great, TJ!  I really like how the furniture turned.

edited August 2016

Next up is the Dream Home Dressing Rooms.....this is an odd set.  It's a bunch of small rooms that act primarily as a connector piece between the Study and the Master suite.  I've never found a good use for them, but if you don't have them then there are gaps in the house..

Maybe with Iray section planes you can get a good camera angle, but I've never tried.

There's not a lot of interesting features or furniture, so it didn't take all that long.   I did realize that I need to find a good hardwood floor texture.  The one I used here is MEC4D's lacquered wood, with a free seamless texture off the web.  I may have to break down and get Filter Forge.

Regardless, here's the before and after.  

Before

After

DH-DressingRoom-Base.jpg
    800 x 800 - 371K
    DH-DressingRoom-Iray.jpg
    800 x 800 - 374K
  • I suspect the network I used wouldn't work now as one of the bricks involved has changed markedly but I used the Ray Type brick in Shader Mixer to make the walls transparent from without so that I could place a camera outside the room and have the interior render normally in 3Delight (in DS3).

• Thanks Richard!   I've never played with the Shader Mixer, so not sure how I would use it here.  

On the subject of Filter Forge, looks like they've got another one of the browser specific sales going on.  Hitting the website with Chrome only shows a discount on the subscription.   Hitting it with Firefox shows an 80% discount on the whole catalog.

Obviously, I went with Firefox....Now to play with Filter Forge.

edited August 2016

The furniture didn't actually take very long...Only a minor geometry change on the Chandelier candles - I wanted them to be something other than the same metal as the chandelier itself.

The rest of the surfaces were pretty much straight replacements.

A key thing to remember:  I've found that in a lot of cases, you don't want to necessarily use the 3DL Bump map as the bump map in Iray, unless it's the only choice.  In a lot of cases, the 3DL Displacement map (if it exists) makes a better bump map in Iray.  And for what it's worth, I've never had much luck with the Iray displacement map.  The chairs and china cabinet detail work is all displacement maps slotted into the Bump slot, with a value of 5.  The glass is the standard Thin Glass.

Before

After

China Cabinet

Wonderful work! I love the work you're doing with the Geometry Editor. The molding looks great!

I must say I think I like the original table better - but other than that the rest of it is a vast improvement! Awesome work! :D

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited August 2016

@divamakeup, Thanks!  

I know what you mean...The original table has some neat effects with the bump map, making an interesting texture on the top of the table, almost like it was embossed leather.  But I felt it was a bit much for a dining room table.

Anyway, I picked up filter forge, and played around with one of the wood filters to get a new hardwood floor texture.  What do you think?

OLD Version

New and Improved Filter Forge Version

DH-DressingRoom-Iray2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 373K
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

The new wood floor looks much nicer. Good job on all that you've posted so far.

@divamakeup, Thanks!  

I know what you mean...The original table has some neat effects with the bump map, making an interesting texture on the top of the table, almost like it was embossed leather.  But I felt it was a bit much for a dining room table.

Anyway, I picked up filter forge, and played around with one of the wood filters to get a new hardwood floor texture.  What do you think?

OLD Version

Oh much better! The older version looks a little to "rustic". The new floor looks great! :D

I'm so jealous you got Filter Forge! :D

@divamakeup, Thanks!  

OLD Version

Which filter did you use?  It looks great and close to something I've been trying to find for one of my scenes I work on when I'm not working on something else.

•  

Which filter did you use?  It looks great and close to something I've been trying to find for one of my scenes I work on when I'm not working on something else.

@knittingmommy, I used Realistic Wood Planks.  

Set Panel Repeat to something like 5, Panel Bevel and Panel Spacing to 0 to remove the visible seam between planks, and panel chaos to something > 50 to vary the horizontal locations of the planks.  I couldnt find a way to increase the length of the planks, so I used different values for horizontal and vertical tiling in Daz to stretch it out.

I'm really impressed at how well the filter simulates the detail in a wood plank.

edited August 2016

On to the Entrance.  This is actually pretty quick, it's the archway over the front door and a portico over the driveway.  Again, the architecture was large surfaces with textures.  I broke out the columns and the trim to new surfaces.

I'm not keen on the color of the marble columns, but I'm not sure what other color would work..

Before

After

The Foyer and Living Room are next, which slot in right behind the Entrance and next to the Dining Room.

DH-Entrance-Base.jpg
    919 x 516 - 192K
    DH-Entrance-Iray.jpg
    919 x 516 - 200K

@knittingmommy, I used Realistic Wood Planks.  

Set Panel Repeat to something like 5, Panel Bevel and Panel Spacing to 0 to remove the visible seam between planks, and panel chaos to something > 50 to vary the horizontal locations of the planks.  I couldnt find a way to increase the length of the planks, so I used different values for horizontal and vertical tiling in Daz to stretch it out.

I'm really impressed at how well the filter simulates the detail in a wood plank.

Thanks!  I'll try it out!

edited August 2016

This is looking from the back of the house, through the French doors, toward the front doors.

A lot of geometry editing, especially around the fireplace.

Before

After

DH-Foyer-BaseEmpty.jpg
    919 x 919 - 499K
    DH-Foyer-Iray.jpg
    919 x 919 - 474K
    edited August 2016

Now with Furniture

Before

After

Before

After

It's not perfect...The floor is one big slab of marble;  I need to modify the base texture so that its tiled, rotated, and randomized a bit.  If I can figure out how to do it FilterForge I will, otherwise its off to Photoshop for a lot of cutting and pasting.

DH-Foyer-Base2.jpg
    919 x 919 - 475K
    DH-Foyer-Base.jpg
    919 x 919 - 499K
    DH-Foyer-Iray2.jpg
    919 x 919 - 471K
    DH-Foyer-Iray.jpg
    919 x 919 - 480K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow!  Looks fantastic!  I actually really love the marble floor like it is. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

The Mods you are doing is making everything look so real almost like I am watchig a DIY showing!!!!

edited August 2016

Updated the floor by using FilterForge to create about 15 marble textures, and then photoshop to bring them in, rotate them, and place randomly to get a look of individual tiles.

DH-Foyer-Marble.jpg
    919 x 919 - 469K

Looks very cool!  I liked the first updated version, but this is so much better!

edited August 2016

Did the Front Yard and the Garage today.

DH-FrontYardBase.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 301K
    DH-FrontYardIray.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 324K
    DH-GarageBase.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 378K
    DH-GarageIray.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 364K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Looking really good Jack!!!