Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    MistyMist said:

it's too weird not to model something for challenge  lol

Then you'll just have to model something! ;)

Wow... lots to see today... and looking Great!!! I, too, have a new item to contribute... but Action Figures are Sold Separately

Carrara 9 2AFSS.jpg
    1280 x 1181 - 450K
    edited August 2016

For the Genesis 2 Female, I removed the color texture maps for everything except the eyes, lips and inner mouth (including teeth, etc.,) replaced with a value of 100, while placing the proper Spec and bump maps into place. For the eyeliner I took her into the model room and selected those polygons and made a new material zone, to which I changed the color value from 100 to 0.

I used Ambient Occlusion and liked how it looked, so I added the hair and did the same thing with the shaders except that I used color values of 0 except for the ribbons and bows, which are 100. Kinda fun!

The Carrara 9 Cherry-flavored candy was made originally as two separate text models which I then converted to Vertex modeler objects. Pulled the 9 apart and... well... it's pretty easy to see what I did there. That whole thing is separate and really quite large. I dragged it into this scene as candy using an altered red glass shader.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

More great ideas and renders. Great concepts... all very well thought out and put together... bravo to all.

head wax, Thanks for the compliment on the nine... it's not entirely my own, it is a modified "Blade Runner Movie Font" that I simply cleaned up all the not needed points to make it smoother, cut a hole in it to look a bit like an "eye", added the bar between top and bottom... it was only a space before which I widened into 1 bar instead of my previous double bar which didn't work out well... then I moved on to the leg which was more normal -- it curved around with bottom of foot facing top of nine and I only did the CAR9 letter characters needed to spell out Carrara but will likely go back and modify both the double and single bar versions... one for print the other for screen fonts. TypeTool is great for designing fonts and 2d designs for either and has *a lot* of  exact control features. Oops sorry to bore everyone with one of my DTP adventures.

wgdjohn said:

More great ideas and renders. Great concepts... all very well thought out and put together... bravo to all.

head wax, Thanks for the compliment on the nine... it's not entirely my own, it is a modified "Blade Runner Movie Font" that I simply cleaned up all the not needed points to make it smoother, cut a hole in it to look a bit like an "eye", added the bar between top and bottom... it was only a space before which I widened into 1 bar instead of my previous double bar which didn't work out well... then I moved on to the leg which was more normal -- it curved around with bottom of foot facing top of nine and I only did the CAR9 letter characters needed to spell out Carrara but will likely go back and modify both the double and single bar versions... one for print the other for screen fonts. TypeTool is great for designing fonts and 2d designs for either and has *a lot* of  exact control features. Oops sorry to bore everyone with one of my DTP adventures.

Hmmm... sounds to me like You deserve Plenty of credit! I like the 9 too... and also those letter blocks. But then... I liked those before, too!

• PhilW thank you. Your "Woodcarving "Woman" is a fine concept and looking great

wdgjohn, Stezza, Antara and aspin all excellent renders and kicking along nicely. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Very interesting eyecatching render there Dart yes

• gibson.johnny3gibson.johnny3 Posts: 25
    edited August 2016

Impressive render Dartanbeck! Love the work on the 9 :-)

Post edited by gibson.johnny3 on

Thanks,

It was inspired by a piece of art I haven't seen in years, by Luiz Royo

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    PhilW said:

"There's a Carrara 9 shaped hole in my life...".  More or less the final image, it came together quite quickly once the carved block was done. There is a strong mesh light outside the window and a very low level one in the shed, rendered with Octane.  Most of the items are from various sets in my runtime but I made the chisel as I couldn't find one, and it was a simple job.

The light really makes it, like a Rembrandt wink

Having done a certain amount of chiseling in wood myself, a 3" dia or so wooden (or rubber) mallet might be more realistic. Usually, the focus is on the chisel point and a larger surface hitting the chisel end ensures you don't miss.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2016

Great job, Dartanbeck.  A littl darker theme.  And for a more fun approach, Stezza came through with the impossibles.  Wonderful.

My update.  Even though it might look very similar, I started the 9-blimp from scratch.  The uvmaps are vastly improved, and now there is a fire source for the balloon.  I used a snow function to apply a camoflauge type shader to the balloon.  Planes above looking down should see greenish camo while people below looking up should see blue/white sky camo.  I put together a new low-poly pilot model.  I still have trouble using the seams method for uvmaps. I did get the face and hands to work out but still some other flaws.  The pilot shaders are just placeholder procedural shaders.

The propeller is actually an oval uvmapped so that its center is in the center of the uvmap and then a radial procedural shader is put in the alpha channel.

Update balloon and pilot.jpg
    480 x 640 - 20K
    update pilot mesh.JPG
    1714 x 929 - 232K
    improved 9 uvmap.JPG
    1271 x 672 - 69K
    propeller uvmap.JPG
    1460 x 883 - 131K
    propeller effect.JPG
    1759 x 857 - 150K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Two terrains I created, mountains are duplicated, in hopes of incorporating them with my Carrara 9 blocks. Right now they have default shaders which I plan to tweak.

C9_01_03_terrains.png
    1024 x 740 - 903K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Diomede - cool design and so much work being put into this!

PhilW said:

Diomede - cool design and so much work being put into this!

I really like your people! So cool how we're always seing new Carrara people from diomede!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited August 2016

I haven't had  to much time to participate in the last challenges... but hopefully I do manage to finish something this time.

This is a concept setup for what I am going for. 

Still some bits'n pieces that are missing.

Doc3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited August 2016

Varsel said:

I haven't had  to much time to participate in the last challenges... but hopefully I do manage to finish something this time.

Cool, Varsel! I like how this is going!

I brought in one of Dart and Rosie's nemesis, Chaos, followed by his usual entourage... as nasty as he is... he's still a friggin' coward! I'm not happy with this, though I think it still has some merits. It's going through a major facelift as we speak - it may even just hit the trash can to make way for something different! ;)

CARRARA 9 is using Eric's DCG example shader Thunderdome - the color comes from lights.

Carrara 9 03a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 554K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Oh... right... the volumetric cloud under the Pirhana ship! LOL

I scaled it using the manipulators instead of the cloud room! It's fine to do that if we don't stretch them too badly. But I stretched this one to be taller than it is wide, so that's why it doesn't look like anything good! LOL The version I'm working on has that fixed ;)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

playin with the modifiers.

as a still, not really exciting enuff for an entry  lol

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I see we are allowed 3 entries, so this may be the start of my third, inspired a bit by Dart's SF image above.  Basically some greeble panels that I had made a while ago replicated over a huge Carrara text (I used the "trace in Photoshop" method that was mentioned around Page 4 of this thread). Now I need to work in a "9" somewhere, maybe looks to make a 9-shaped little spaceship?

CarraraSpaceshipBackdrop.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited August 2016

Can't step away for a minute!  Great stuff just keeps pouring in.  Headwax, you picked a good one.

I have to give a shout out to Varsel and the cloud-9.  Very creative.  And then Dart posts another intimidating adventure render.  Seems like a keeper to me.  Lots of directions to take it.  Misty, I seem to recall a challenge in which Jonstark had a moving cloak or something similar.  If I were you, I'd use the cool dynamic reflective carrara 9 as the start of one of the three entries .  It is up to Headwax this month if we can have movement.  Worth finding out.  Phil, I got your nine right here (and I make a gesture - towards my update).  Great use of the greebles. 

Here is my update.  Just testing to see how the clouds and the glass frame work in the moonlight.  More elements to be incorporated but it is starting to come together.

another update.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Stezza said:

I've been working on a scene that seems impossible to get in Carrara and involves the letters F  M and C, some fins

and some springs.... with the use of modifiers and the help of LoRez items and some nurbs.

The Impossibles in Carrara?.................... hell yeah!......

The render shows the two spots that needed some postwork for blending..
    The Impossi-Mobile created with modifiers in Carrara and the Impossibles were created from LoRez Superhero all with modified textures and added bits like the M & shield for Multi-Man and the springs for Coil Man  .. Fluid Man's water is from JoLabs splashes.
    Text was using Carrara's text.

Stezza, this one is a joy to behold!

Stezza said:

Varsel said:

@Varsel, welcome to the Fray. Great to see a WIP image so we can see how it develops :)

wgdjohn said:

Two terrains I created, mountains are duplicated, in hopes of incorporating them with my Carrara 9 blocks. Right now they have default shaders which I plan to tweak.

Great start on the terrains, I can see a beautiful mpountain lake there ;)

I brought in one of Dart and Rosie's nemesis, Chaos, followed by his usual entourage... as nasty as he is... he's still a friggin' coward! I'm not happy with this, though I think it still has some merits. It's going through a major facelift as we speak - it may even just hit the trash can to make way for something different! ;)

CARRARA 9 is using Eric's DCG example shader Thunderdome - the color comes from lights.

Dart, I must say how wonderful this looks. Fantasmagorical atmosphere - and thanks for the description of method.

MistyMist said:

playin with the modifiers.

as a still, not really exciting enuff for an entry  lol

MistyMist, arent Carrara's modifiers wonderful?  I'd highly recommend the explosion one :)

PhilW said:

I see we are allowed 3 entries, so this may be the start of my third, inspired a bit by Dart's SF image above.  Basically some greeble panels that I had made a while ago replicated over a huge Carrara text (I used the "trace in Photoshop" method that was mentioned around Page 4 of this thread). Now I need to work in a "9" somewhere, maybe looks to make a 9-shaped little spaceship?

Terrific Phil, that adds another dimension. I would never have thought of doing that.

And what would a fantasy blimp be without some birdmen?  Shaders are placeholders.

Birdman model and uvmap.JPG
    1479 x 737 - 131K
    birdrman flght 1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    birdman flight 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K

@diomede, hats off to you, not only your modelling abilities, but to your wonderful sense of humour in making your characters! and that's a wonderful uv map :)

on movement, that would certainly add anotrher dimension :) but I would rather keep the images as stills - but it's always possible to 'imply' movement!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

@headwax, you certainly have gotten everyone's creative juices flowing by the looks of these awesome WiPs being posted.. a real pleasure to go through the thought processes of everyone...

It's good when you look forward every morning to visit these threads to see what's new yes

especially on rainy days and Wednesdays.. ( hump day in Oz )

• Lots of good and funny ideas ya all, very busy contest ...

I'll jump in with mine: maybe a bit too "dark" for some, but, what the hell, let's have some fun devil

Here is the general shape of the tombstone angel 

TombStone.jpg
    709 x 803 - 126K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Lots of good and funny ideas ya all, very busy contest ...

I'll jump in with mine: maybe a bit too "dark" for some, but, what the hell, let's have some fun devil

Here is the general shape of the tombstone angel 

you just gave me an idea for my third entry

no not stealing yours but monuments of death made me think the only way I can get Genesis 3 in is as obj statues so going to do something along those lines.