Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited August 2016

thanks Dart :)

yes Ringo probably felt let down by Daz's seeming disinterest in Carrara ...

as Wallace Stevens says in The Emperor of Ice-cream

Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Plugins? I'd like to see a Carrara challenge based around plugins so we could see how others use them.

As well as purchaed ones, there's plentry of free ones courtesy of Sparrow etc. Also Fenric's brilliant adaptation of the Vine growing plug in

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

morning coffee and render viewing fix..... 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    head wax said:

thanks Dart :)

yes Ringo probably felt let down by Daz's seeming disinterest in Carrara ...

as Wallace Stevens says in The Emperor of Ice-cream

Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Plugins? I'd like to see a Carrara challenge based around plugins so we could see how others use them.

As well as purchaed ones, there's plentry of free ones courtesy of Sparrow etc. Also Fenric's brilliant adaptation of the Vine growing plug in

Wow. Cool idea!

I love Ringo. I hope he's either just lurking or taking a break.

Hi Stezza, hope you dont mind, shared one of your images and text in the Commons thread

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Also, It's kind of a bummer that the ball of magic hides the fact that there are twenty-four soldiers in this shot. They look really cool after I spent more time tweaking the replicators (just the plain replicator works perfect for this stuff) but Chaos looked really odd in the image when he wasn't doing anything.

If it were I... Chaos could raise hit arm and the sphere/globe could be behind or even poking through the "9" a bit... if behind perhaps make the "9" a tiny bit transparent... Or even move the arm so that the globe is more in front of chest to reveal the soldiers. Doubt that any of my silly suggestions would make it look better... it's already very good.

not 'silly' wgdjohn,  artists thrive on feedback !

edited August 2016
    wgdjohn said:
    Also, It's kind of a bummer that the ball of magic hides the fact that there are twenty-four soldiers in this shot. They look really cool after I spent more time tweaking the replicators (just the plain replicator works perfect for this stuff) but Chaos looked really odd in the image when he wasn't doing anything.

If it were I... Chaos could raise hit arm and the sphere/globe could be behind or even poking through the "9" a bit... if behind perhaps make the "9" a tiny bit transparent... Or even move the arm so that the globe is more in front of chest to reveal the soldiers. Doubt that any of my silly suggestions would make it look better... it's already very good.

head wax said:

not 'silly' wgdjohn,  artists thrive on feedback !

Absolutely! I love feedback - beg for it, even! I've saved the scene a few times over - so I can always go back and work on it. 

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Saturday 10th September

See? We've still got time to try and win this thing! Before the ball of magic it was a ball of Carrara fire, which I've spent a LOT of time on - trying to get just the right settings and positioning. Fire looks kinda skimpy if its too small in a scene - unless it's supposed to be such. So I had a great big ball of fire up in front of him. For a quite a while - just before changing it and going for what it has now, the ball of magic wasn't a ball at all, but a sprawling mass of bolts - like lightning reaching up and through the 9 as well as the CARRARA text - looked pretty cool but was a bit much. 

So now I'm going to revisit this thing with your suggestions. I'd really love to get those soldiers back into the frame, yet I don't consider them vital... they just look cool when there's so many of them. There are a few other things about this scene that I thought might be nice to tweak... so it'll be fun to go back in!

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

That is the idea: what about a "Rosseta stone"?

RossetaStone.png
    1280 x 960 - 422K
    CarrarainCarrara2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 259K

great idea Alberto! adding a little culture :)

you gave me an idea

:)

edited August 2016

Okay, so here's me so far - any are likely to change or be replaced by entry time

Uploaded here

Uploaded here

Uploaded here

We'll see what happens. If I find time, I'm definitely planning to make changes/replacements as I can.

edited August 2016

Wow. I just now realized how much Ysabeau does look like Rosie with that particular expression (first image) and at that distance! LOL  Otherwise they really differ greatly!

edited August 2016

I think I have more than 3 surprise

'The sign said'

Long haired creepy people.jpg
    800 x 600 - 481K
    Post edited by Stezza on

yes

head wax said:

Hi Stezza, hope you dont mind, shared one of your images and text in the Commons thread

edited August 2016

so I tucked my hair under my hat ....?

love that song Stezza - listened to it a lot when I was a kid back in the 1800's -  and a suitably scary render

and Dart, what a wonderful trilogy - at least two would be great album covers

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited August 2016

yep, I was playing it while rendering smiley

picked up 3DU dragon just now...

Dragon C.jpg
    800 x 600 - 186K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Lots of cool new work still coming in I see!

This is my design for a shuttle based on the "9" I need for the Carrara spaceshio scene I posted a couple of days ago. It is basically a 9 in text, converted to the vertex modeller and extruded a bit to give some extra details, and then parts added from the very old set Sci Fi Construction Set by Mr Sparky.  I also added a glowy texture thing to a plane that is positioned in the middle of the circle formed by the 9, as some sort of warp hyper drive thingy, I just think it looks cool.

Carrara9Shuttle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K

that's a cool space 9 craft @PhilW

where can Mr Sparky's construction set can be found... I don't think I have that one and I have a lot of his stuff.. would it be on his site.. I must go and check what I have of his to make sure..

great bit of lateral thinking PhilW!

@Stezza, you just need a pigeon there as well ;)

Stezza said:

that's a cool space 9 craft @PhilW

where can Mr Sparky's construction set can be found... I don't think I have that one and I have a lot of his stuff.. would it be on his site.. I must go and check what I have of his to make sure..

Thanks - Mr Sparky's syuff is here:

http://www.poserdirect.com/vpsfconkitposer.html

A while ago I got an amazing bundle of stuff from PoserDirect for a stupidly low price, I don't think it is available now, but there is still a lot of very usable stuff on that site.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited August 2016

So here we have it.

Carrara - where your fantasies and the magic takes place.

I was wondering if I should have an old broken sign pointing into the Forrest, saying Studio, but that would perhaps be a bit rude . wink

So now I'm going to render it out with higer resolution, and some caustic.

Doc3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on

A magical image and wonderfully done!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

diomede, ... I really dig how you post the image of the UV Mapping as well...

Dart, thanks for the kind words.  I include a screen shot of the mesh and the uvmap because Carrara folks are so generous with their observations and advice.  The challenges have helped me very much and continue to do so.  The number of times that TangoAlpha, Roygee, Varsel, MDO, Headwax, you, and others have looked at one of my screenshots and given me suggestion to improve the polygons near joints, provide better edge flow, make better use of the uvmapping tools, etc. are more than I would want to try to count.  I am very grateful.  In return, I hope that if any new users check the WIP threads they can see examples of meshes that improve and read all of these great suggestions.  My current goal is to get better at combining the UV seam unwrap method with selective use of the presets by shading domain or other selection method.  The birdman uvmap is better than I had been doing but still not quite where I want to be, Getting better but a long way to go.

Yes, Varsel, another great one.  I especially like the yellow brick road.

PhilW said:

A magical image and wonderfully done!

Phil, supposed to have a 9, not a 6.  Just kidding.  The scifi vehicle fits your image perfectly.

PhilW said:

This is my design for a shuttle based on the "9" I need for the Carrara spaceshio scene I posted a couple of days ago. It is basically a 9 in text, converted to the vertex modeller and extruded a bit to give some extra details, and then parts added from the very old set Sci Fi Construction Set by Mr Sparky.  I also added a glowy texture thing to a plane that is positioned in the middle of the circle formed by the 9, as some sort of warp hyper drive thingy, I just think it looks cool.

Stezza said:

yep, I was playing it while rendering smiley

picked up 3DU dragon just now...

The original, or the Tesla version? Doesn't matter... they're both awesome! When I was drummer for Kixx Wikked, we did the Tesla version as one of our covers. 

Wow! The 3DU Dragon is awesome! Gonna have to add that to my collection! 

PhilW said:

Lots of cool new work still coming in I see!

Very cool! I bet they look great together!

Cool! Rock on Varsel!!!

Varsel said:

So here we have it.

Carrara - where your fantasies and the magic takes place.

I was wondering if I should have an old broken sign pointing into the Forrest, saying Studio, but that would perhaps be a bit rude . wink

So now I'm going to render it out with higer resolution, and some caustic.

edited August 2016

Carrara upgrade, $64.  Ringo G2M texture set, $8.  Placement of the hot dog sign relative to the creepy-hairy applicant? 

Priceless

Sorry to non-US folks.  That priceless phrase was the tag line of a credit card commercial in the States.

Stezza said:

I think I have more than 3 surprise

'The sign said'

Post edited by Diomede on

The "Priceless" tag line translates OK to the UK - we've had a similar campaign for something or another here too.

diomede said:

Phil, supposed to have a 9, not a 6.  Just kidding.  The scifi vehicle fits your image perfectly.

That's the trouble with space, there is no "up"!

• Continuing with this...

Ading some plants and butterflies, I also modeled around 40 rocks for this project, here are some screenshots.

P.S. Butterfly model can be downloaded here: https://sketchfab.com/models/e658ed425b1d489190e3bc4ab9c1c353

Vegetation.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 468K
    PierisRapae.jpg
    960 x 540 - 173K
    Rocks.jpg
    960 x 540 - 179K