Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited August 2016

BTW I am very excited to announce that the amazing Fenric has confirmed his sponsorship:

details to be announced.

Fenric's stall is here http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fenric

Fenric with his plugins have made my Carrara workflow so much easier, I bow down to the man.

And if I wore a hat I would take it off as well ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited August 2016

Bravo Fenric... well done Headwax

Adjustments to my first posting..

What was created by or for Daz and modified in Carrara is M3, Genesis ( modified to AstroBoy ), Genesis 2 ( Modified to Ned Kelly ), M3 Astronaut suit ( modified ), Western outlaw, Blank Boi ( modified ), Noodles, LorenzoLowRez, Easy Easel ( retextured ), HMS Victory Sails ( used for Endeavour )

Everything else was modelled and or modified in Carrara's Model Room including - Gumby, Pokey, Ned Kelly's armour, spaceship, drone, Clampetts car, HMS Endeavour, pigeon, milk container, funny eyes, New Horizon, text, $20 note

Modified to work in Carrara - Ekto1

Most of the texturing was used with Carrara's default textures that come with Carrara, others were created in PSE and the use of Fenric's plugins come in very handy.

Gumby has the twist and bend modifier applied to him and Pokey has been boned and posed wink

I just wanted to show what a complete novice can do with this software and have fun with it.. yes laugh

WiP1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 582K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited August 2016

Rendered using TPLightdomes for lighting

Puss and 9.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 365K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited August 2016

Pokey was modelled and boned in Carrara

Pokey Boned.jpg
    1025 x 659 - 118K
    Post edited by Stezza on

thanks Stezza, that;s a classic scene, and thanks so much for the explanations! Yes, that's what it's all about . Love the choice of words too, lucky Pokey.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    head wax said:

@MDO2010  and wgdjohn  thanks for the thorough explantion, that really helps new and old Carrara users.

Impressive use of caustics again @MDO2010 .

Thanks cdordoni  . Good to see Carrara getting a little well desrved love ;)

Agreed! Very cool works-in-progress!

head wax said:

thanks Stezza, that;s a classic scene, and thanks so much for the explanations! Yes, that's what it's all about . Love the choice of words too, lucky Pokey.

Hee hee... lucky feller done got himself boned in Carrara!!! Cool stuff Stezza!

head wax said:

Here's my start towards gathering my thoughts in-scene. I figured showing off some of DCG's shader power might be fun, so the 9 is C-Enhanced! ;)

With the Beatles mentioned above, I was going to replicate "Number 9" a bunch of times going waaay off into the distance. Maybe in another image. Heck, we get three, right? 

If (if, being the important word here) I were to win one of these (highly unlikely), I would have too much fun running the next one to pass the shoe... I think that running one of these has got to be a real blast!

Nice work Dart, love the glow on that, so what shader bit did you use for us who don't have that plugin and would love to be persuaded to buy it :)

I cannot check (which specific shader I used) right now - using the Batch Render to perform the final (Final, I think) render of that image, which will become my first entry.

I'll be taking some screen-shots of the scene-in-progress and posting some details on how it was all done and which after-market products I used, like I had to use a couple shaders I got from Ringo, a sword I got from Feral Fey (wow... nicest sword that I've ever used! The material zones make it a dream to turn into any look I want!), the particle system I made, the vast array of lights I used, replicator, duplication, atmospherics, clouds, DUF stuff...

I wanted to export an OBJ of a Genesis 3 figure pre-posed, and advertise that Carrara 9 can now use Genesis 4 figures... but instead I used Ysabeau 6 (Genesis 2 Female) along with a nice Aery Soul outfit - and she's sporting my latest Rosie Hair setup, but with slightly different shaders.

PhilW has been a HUGE part of my Carrara adventures, so I used many tips and tricks I've picked up from his courses, namely the particle emmiter (I built from scratch, but using what I've learnt from Advanced Carrara Techniques) and some shader and rendering techniques I've gleaned from his Realism Rendering class. I still do things quite differently than the way he works his scenes and such, but what he teaches firs beautifully into my own methods. That difference makes it so much fun to constantly go back into those courses and watch them over again. 

I'm certainly not used to making projects that take hours and hours to render except for my spherical maps. But for this one, it just had to be. I think the slowest part is rendering high settings with this really cool shader I got from one of the many Ringo shader sets I have - I think it's an Alien Crystal, and I used light linking to blast it from several directions, each light having a brightness of 366 or higher. It looks pretty neat. That's on the "Carrara" emblem. The "9" is using one of the presets from DCG's Enhance C plugin, with some Aura added to it. 

Ooops... babbling again. I'm really happy with how this one turned out in low-rez, so I hope it looks worthy of an entry when it's done at these higher settings. Of course, then I'm going to want to do some final touch-ups in Howler ;)

edited August 2016

thanks Dart, never rambling!

here's a very rough play with our sponsor Fenrics free adaptation of the Ivy generator plugin.

After a little fiddling I bet it would do a great job!

I made a text of Carrara, changed it to a vertex and then made a few ivy generations, 

I discovered  that the ivy grows from the vertex object centre, so I moved the object c entre from letter to letter by engaging the caps key

link to Free Fenric adaptation of Ivy Generator

http://www.sharecg.com/v/44242/software-and-tools/ivy-generator-for-carrara

ivy.jpg
    2000 x 742 - 105K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited August 2016

Yes, Philemo's plugin to allow VirtualWorldDynamic (VWD) to work in Carrara is compatible with custom figures.  Here is one of my old custom figures wearing uniform top for baseball.

Loaded custom figure and modeled an outer short-sleeved shirt over long sleeves.  UVmapped the uniform top and exported the uvmap template.  Loaded a compatible bone structure and attached skeleton.  Posed the figure to hold a bat.  Ran the VWD plugin to drape the uniform over the posed figure.  Exported the result back to Carrara.  Replaced the uvmap with one that says Carrara 9 on the back.  Used a picture of a baseball stadium as the backdrop.  I will not use the picture in the entry - just a placeholder for educational purposes.

baseball 3 uvmap and boned.JPG
    1060 x 883 - 129K
    baseball 5 vwd plugin.JPG
    1507 x 1016 - 204K
    baseball 6 send to host.JPG
    1412 x 942 - 121K
    baseball 7 taium.jpg
    640 x 480 - 60K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede, wonderful to see the cloth sim in action,! 

edited August 2016

I am very impressed with so much quality stuff rolling in already.  Stezza, that is magnificent.  Love the 9 as a collar.  Headwax, great use of the Fenric plugin.  Which reminds me, thank you Fenric for sponsoring.  Wgdjohn, sometimes the choices in the shader tree have a scale box on a side tab.  For example, the cellular shader under the natural tab has a scale option below intensity and above limits, MDO2010, great combination of functions.  Love how you controlled the distribution of the glowing and darker spheres with replicators.  Dart, great mixture of your terrains.  I often use your terrain shaders as components in multi-channel mixers to try to get the look I want.  Misty, Borg would be perfect. You can use replicators to populate a cube with electronics to get a scifi effect.  Chickenman, I would hope that Carrara 9 would come with a Chickenman morph for geness 4 figures.  Great theme. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

not gotten very far yet, have few ideas

Capture.JPG
    1483 x 941 - 241K
  • wikitimewikitime Posts: 36

I do believe I'm going to win this competition. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

not waitin for the last minute this time!  smiley  3 entries, 1 a week!

if only forum s/w cood run an animated .gif,  would love to throw some bullet physics at Carrara of 9

edited August 2016

sadly baking Carrara shaders with inagoni baker does not always translate over well to Octane on terrains Darts Badlands loses all its lovely detail as the UV's get stretched, I may need to actually use the Carrara render engine for a change

actually I may have solved this

the baked shader in the global channel of the terrain shader actually looks OK in Octane

UV mapping baked textures in Octane a nightmare.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 671K
    better.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 240K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Thanks for the post and the clarification.  I am in the process of acquiring Baker.

If you believe it, they will come.  Or is it, if you build it they will come?  In any case, "they" are on their way!

wikitime said:

I do believe I'm going to win this competition. :)

diomede said:

Thanks for the post and the clarification.  I am in the process of acquiring Baker.

oh its worth it believe me, mostly is awesome but depending on how Octane sees the terrains you can get issues with any shader, it tends to make the smoothest of terrains look jaggard, I have to put the preview settings in the terrain editor full on.

edited August 2016

anyway still building my concept this is a long way yet from what I am envisioning with figures and props yet to be added but the start

not anywhere near yet.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 271K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That's looking great already Wendy!

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Sad said:

... depending on how Octane sees the terrains you can get issues with any shader, it tends to make the smoothest of terrains look jaggard, I have to put the preview settings in the terrain editor full on.

Wendy, do you think this is a shader resolution, poly resolution or both? Hmm, well it could be neither I guess ... don't use Octane myself.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wippie wip

cdordoni said:
    Sad said:

... depending on how Octane sees the terrains you can get issues with any shader, it tends to make the smoothest of terrains look jaggard, I have to put the preview settings in the terrain editor full on.

Wendy, do you think this is a shader resolution, poly resolution or both? Hmm, well it could be neither I guess ... don't use Octane myself.

not sure but carrara' render engine adds to the finish in ways Octane cannot

I have the same issue with primitives like spheres etc, they need to ne converted to vertex models and smoothing added

cdordoni said:

cdordoni said:
    Sad said:

edited August 2016
    PhilW said:

That's looking great already Wendy!

I totally agree!!! I love that lighting!

diomede - Kick ass ankle!!!   HeadWax - I've had that since it came out and have still not tried it... that looks really cool!

As it turns out, my multi-hour render did NOT produce the final render. More work to do, more changes to make, more objects to add, more Carrara features to use....

Here's what the render spat out. Overall I like where it's going, but not at all satisfied with the last minute changes my sleepless mind tweaked out just before hitting that Save button one last time before Batch Queuing it. I changed some lighting, which I don't agree with. I changed some shaders... don't like those changes either. 

The particles need tweaking as well. I love that thing! It's so fun messing around with particles, and it's pretty much limitless what we can have it do. Now I need to break out PyCloid and try using that too. One thing I really enjoy for this particular thing is the Size over Time graph. It's really fun tweaking that for all sorts of effects, but it's really handy when you need the particles to start out small enough to be inside the mouth of a Dragon, then expand quickly into the firey effect needed. 

I'm sure Tim was thinking of something else when he said that Carrara gets up to 10x more sluggish with heavier scenes. In this example, I have more than 13,000 trees which are not very low rez, and a ton of duplicated terrain pieces, many clouds, several large-scale terrain objects... I do have to set the two replicators to not show in 3D View in order to have normal, zippy working behaviors. But I can't even get close to scenes of this scale in DS - not even close. Notice the scroll bar scrubber on the far right... we're only seeing a tiny portion of what's in the instances tray!

The screen capture includes a partial quick render, showing the detail all of the components create in the final render, since bounding boxes and flat map view doesn't show the whole story ;)

The large arrow on the bottom is simply showing that I'm also using this scene in an animation - which speaks nicely for Carrara's uncanny ability to crank out really nice frame rates rendering this beast of a scene. The camera moves a goodly distance in the animation, which reveals that we're actually only seeing a small portion of this scene... it's HUGE! See that giant slope with two replicators? There are six (oops - twelve! - ed) of those, each holding over 13,000 trees! There are also five full batches of those cloud semi-spheres (from EnvironKits). Crazy! But since star ships are pretty fast, I needed a vast space to work with ;)   EDIT: I had most of that turned off for this render, though.

This is a very busy image (below) - a visual breakdown of stuff I used in the center of the scene - in the main camera view. I show which two DP Shaders I use by Ringo - both are from Digital Painters Shader collection #1 (I have them all though) as well as the Enhance C shader (Sun Spots) example included with the plugin.

I also show, by painting down enlarged versions of their toolbar icons, that I've used:

Surface Replicator - Text modeler - Particle Emitter - Terrain Modeler - Plant Modeler - Volumetric Clouds

Then I plunked down Browser images of the store-bought content: Ysabeau 6 for Genesis 2 Female by Thorne, Silmafea Outfit by Aery Soul, Milady's Blade G2F Longsword by Feral Fey, Angelina Hair by Goldtassel, and the DAZ Dragon 3 (Wow... I love working with this beast!!!)

...and there's a screen capture of the particle emitted dragon fire. 

Carrara 9 01f.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 1M
    BadWoodlandsBash.jpg
    1280 x 775 - 1M
    Carrara9_01_MainBreakDown.jpg
    1367 x 733 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited August 2016

well this is what I have for now and may be one entry, I have a few ideas I want to explore

the terrain is as mentioned DB Badlands just the main one with a shader modified for OR4C

The Carrara text I modeled with polylines and filled polygons triagulated and added thickness creased edges

The Carrara 8 user is M4 skeleton in Luthbelina's pathfinder clothes which I fitted to G2M in that handy plugin Daz studio and converted to props. the canteen is Mortem Vetus Raggetty man's.

I then fiddled with the mesh in Carrara's vertex room to make it more collapsed as on a skeleton and made some holes in it, I also dirtied it up with add operators and fractal noise which I also baked.

Below is a Carrara engine render of the same prop in DB's original Badlands with the background terrain removed just for comparison

Carrara 9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 248K
    C9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 329K
    Sad said:

well this is what I have for now and may be one entry, I have a few ideas I want to explore

I love it!

MistyMist said:

wippie wip

Hmnpf! I missed this while I was babbling out my WIP info...

Very cool, Misty!

edited August 2016

TY Dart, I must use more of your terrains and actually the Carrara render was faster than the Octane one though admittedly not very high settings

and yes Rosie is the bestest as usual heart

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Dart - that is looking amazing!