WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Scary or not??? ore trick or treat :lol:

I’m not really familiar with this we haven’t Halloween in my country, not where I live.
    We’ve got Sint Maarten children go’s by doors with a lantern and collect candy’s but need to sing a song but that’s in November

Perfect!
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    Sasje said:
    Scary or not??? ore trick or treat :lol:

I’m not really familiar with this we haven’t Halloween in my country, not where I live.
    We’ve got Sint Maarten children go’s by doors with a lantern and collect candy’s but need to sing a song but that’s in November

Perfect!
    Thank you
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Very cute, Sasje!

And thanks for the advice, BWSman.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

YES! Finally some did one. Great, I love it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We are getting a great variety of renders.

edited December 1969

We sure are. Keep them coming people.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

The latest attempt with the horse and the grim reaper. In the mean time a new idea pooped though I've no idea how much it falls under the whole halloween spirit.Just a rough sketch. Pose is a subject to change as well as a expression. Or just the expression. Anyways, I think the title would be' witness to the rise'.

neka_glupost.jpg
    800 x 450 - 149K
    valjda_je_bolje_2_(5).jpg
    800 x 800 - 390K
    edited December 1969

Both are looking really good.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Both are looking really good.
    I seem to be stuck in echo mode today. I Ditto this also.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I feel bad that I haven't had the time to contribute much this time 'round. I don't know if I will be able to get to another render or not, so here's one I did awhile ago. I'm just throwing it out there in case anybody needs a little inspiration.

Title: Newly Re-Awakened

Newly_Re-Awakened-PC.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 624K
    edited December 1969

I feel bad that I haven't had the time to contribute much this time 'round. I don't know if I will be able to get to another render or not, so here's one I did awhile ago. I'm just throwing it out there in case anybody needs a little inspiration.

Title: Newly Re-Awakened

Nice, I like. Right type of inspiration if you ask me.
  • bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone

I see awsome stuff passing by and very inspirational indeed
    - it's hard to keep focused on this wip - there is too many cool stuff to explore and to place in the scene that it doesn't make sense anymore.

here's an update - I tried to make it more halloweeny scary style (I don't like blood, scary yes, blood no) - don't know if it suits the theme

fini-1800.jpg
    1800 x 1012 - 944K
    edited December 1969

here I got rid of the walls and added more 'bush' from the Moon Gate so they are outside again...

finale_1800-3.jpg
    1800 x 1012 - 1M
    edited December 1969

there are so many alternatives to choose from - I just don't know what to pick

dinsdag1800-2.jpg
    1800 x 1012 - 946K
    edited December 1969

Bartman23: I think I like the third option the best of these. The others are well-done but seem a little too busy to me.

Here's where I am so far with mine. Still lots of work to be done with angle/composition, lighting, posing, etc...but I'm pretty happy with how the characters look. Hopefully the joke comes across.

trickortreat1c.jpg
    800 x 800 - 481K
    edited October 2012

Bartman23: I think I like the third option the best of these. The others are well-done but seem a little too busy to me.

Here's where I am so far with mine. Still lots of work to be done with angle/composition, lighting, posing, etc...but I'm pretty happy with how the characters look. Hopefully the joke comes across.

Do not forget to Shade the King in the proper colors. I get it RWK all you need is a crystal. ;-)
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback - I love simplicity too.

Nice setup you have - regarding the joke I'm afraid I don't get it - unless the character on the right is Ronald McDonald? :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

i went in a diffrent direction why do we have to go scary
    halloween is not only the night for ghost, goblins and walking skeleton, but also the night where 100 year old witchs go to renew them selfs.
    i would like to know what you think
    Much better, a great improvement. Are you happy with it? What do you think could be better?
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Do not forget to Shade the King in the proper colors. I get it RWK all you need is a crystal. ;-)
    Yeah, you got it. I had to Google it but I know what you mean about the crystal (in my part of the country, the equivalent would probably be something like this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fantasy-castle-2011-glimmering-tales)
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited October 2012

I'm not sure is this will qualify but it does have a ghost, of sorts.

Inspired not just by the Phantom of the Opera but specifically Susan Kay's Phantom, which added depth to the triangle between Erik, Christine and Raoul. Even after he died, Erik presence still lingered (in more ways than one).

Made use of Jaderail's tut for DOF which I applied to the background. The second version has a Bleach bypass filter is applied to Christine and Raoul.

Comments, input and suggestion most welcome :cheese:

Unhappily-Ever-After-1.png
    1010 x 1010 - 677K
    Unhappily-Ever-After-2.png
    1010 x 1010 - 603K
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Very cool, banditcameraman! I love that story and this is a nice take on it. I do prefer the unbleached version, I think because the other reduces the visual contrast between the (presumably?) living characters and the Phantom.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much, Scott :cheese: Call me Jaime :lol:

And you're right about differentiating between the living Christine and Raoul and Erik's memory/shade/spirit. Great call :lol:

Have you read Susan Kay's Phantom? It was out of print for a long time and reissued for the movie version of Phantom of the Opera. This is actually the first of a 2 part "series"; the next will be Les Mis. Can't wait for the movie :cheese:

edited December 1969

I'm not sure is this will qualify but it does have a ghost, of sorts.

Inspired not just by the Phantom of the Opera but specifically Susan Kay's Phantom, which added depth to the triangle between Erik, Christine and Raoul. Even after he died, Erik presence still lingered (in more ways than one).

Made use of Jaderail's tut for DOF which I applied to the background. The second version has a Bleach bypass filter is applied to Christine and Raoul.

Comments, input and suggestion most welcome :cheese:

The urge to sing the musical lol

Good work on the phantom's ghost but for some reason he reminds me of character from a game; can't remember which one. Poses are good, DOF works as well, but as does the light. It's good but maybe you could try to make it as if its night and see it that works.

edited October 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, Ilena :cheese:

I looked Scott and you up and y'all do great work :coolsmile: Thanks for taking the time out to comment :-)

Made it a night scene and while I'll obviously need to work on it some more; I'll do it when the sun's up because it's 3.00am on this side of the world ;-P Did a low-key and a high-key version.

Thoughts?

Unhappily-Ever-After-low-key.png
    1010 x 1010 - 538K
    Unhappily-Ever-After-high-key.png
    1010 x 1010 - 515K
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestion, Ilena :cheese:

I looked Scott and you up and y'all do great work :coolsmile: Thanks for taking the time out to comment :-)

Made it a night scene and while I'll obviously need to work on it some more; I'll do it when the sun's up because it's 3.00am on this side of the world ;-P Did a low-key and a high-key version.

Thoughts?

No problem at all. Now that's good. I'd say the first version low-key looks better.:smile:. There is balance there that there isn't it the high key. There Christine and Erik are in focus whereas Raul is left in the dark. And that's one good looking model.

• nemo276nemo276 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

looking to enhance this piece, any suggestions? I was going to what's for dinner, possibly either this or the camera man holding some brain matter to the zombie?

It's M4 in zombie texture, and environment is from the Park West series, cleaver is from hollywood FX

built the animated in Poser taken into Cinema 4D for lighting and rendering, photoshop touch up and After Effects for stylizing and environmental smoke effects.

whats4dinner.jpg
    800 x 599 - 161K
    edited October 2012

Ilena52 said:
    No problem at all. Now that's good. I'd say the first version low-key looks better.:smile:. There is balance there that there isn't it the high key. There Christine and Erik are in focus whereas Raul is left in the dark. And that's one good looking model.

Thank you so much, Ilena :cheese:

I fixed Raoul's arm, which caused a bump in the fur trim of the pelisse. Also addressed the bits of his hair which were a carryover from the png layering but noticed when I removed it in other parts the image started to look flatter. In a bit of serendipity the very thin outline acts as a "kicker" for Christine and Raoul and I'm not complaining :lol:

Posting the render in competition regulation size to see if it will pass muster under those requirements.

Observation: the "kicker" looks aliased :shut:

On another note the shape and skin of Raoul come from a Phantom/Christine set I bought on another site; that's what an unscarred Erik looks like as opposed to the Lon Chaney inspired Phantom I'm using for Erik's shade (Not sure if it's okay to mention that here :red:)

Addendum: Brought up Erik's transparency to 20%

Unhappily-Ever-After-final-corrected.png
    800 x 800 - 352K
    Unhappily-Ever-After-final-corrected-Erik-20%_small.png
    800 x 800 - 349K
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited October 2012

I love this :lol:

"Do you want fright with that?" ;-P :lol:

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited October 2012

Thanks! Can I steal that line? I was trying to think of a good pun to use as a title, and that's perfect!

I think your latest render is my favorite version so far...it's coming along really well!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

You're very welcome and thank you too, Scott :cheese:

Of course you can; that's why I posted it :lol: Can't wait to see how your entry turns out :-)

My subscription to this thread seems to be acting up or I would have responded sooner :shut: