Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

Comments

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Wow

Even though my machine is seven year old 8GB iMac without a Nvidia GPU I bought it anyway.  I have a test render cooking way with DS 4.9 .. slowly, but beautiful so far.  I don't worry about letting the machine run a day or so on a render, so I'm happy.  The realisim is wonderful.  

thanks for this Howie ... I had already blown through my July budget, but hey - August is only a week away.

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 584
    edited July 2016

What are the system requirements for this set?

I have seen postings, on Deviant Art, that the The Harpwood Trail set brought many peoples systems to a halt, and maxed out the CPU, making it impossible to use.

Will that be the case with all these blades of grass?

JD

Post edited by jdavison67 on
  • JPayneJPayne Posts: 79

Very nice looking set but there should probably be a warning on the product page that system requirements have a minimum 24GB's of ram in order to render it with Iray. I have a fairly modern system with 16 GB's and all I can get is a freeze.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

What are the system requirements for this set?

I have seen postings, on Deviant Art, that the The Harpwood Trail set brought many peoples systems to a halt, and maxed out the CPU, making it impossible to use.

Will that be the case with all these blades of grass?

JD

If you are on Windows after you start DAZ Studio you can set CPU affinity for DAZ Studio to use (number of cores - 1) and that will keep DAZ Studio from maxing out you CPU. Unfortunately, os X does not allow you to do a similar thing for os X users.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    JPayne said:

Very nice looking set but there should probably be a warning on the product page that system requirements have a minimum 24GB's of ram in order to render it with Iray. I have a fairly modern system with 16 GB's and all I can get is a freeze.

Did you set Iray's Instancing optimisation to Memory?

• JPayneJPayne Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    JPayne said:

Did you set Iray's Instancing optimisation to Memory?

I have it there normally and do now. What's funny is the non-Iray version has no issues at all.

Post edited by JPayne on

Curious, I have an Iray render going right now, and according to Task Manager I'm only using 7.7GB of memory, and according to GPU-Z the GPU (980Ti) is only using 1768MB. The freeze will definitely happen though if instancing optimisation is set to Speed. Dunno what else might cause it.

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Okay I tried this set on my Big system in Iray with the same results. About 20 seconds in to rendering  Daz Shuts down.

I included a log file from my big system when i compare the log files the erros looks exactly the same .. Other than what I have done I donno what else there is .. I can only use this set in 3DL and am limited on that.  any advice would be appreacited

Have you set the Instancing Optimization to "Memory" in the render settings? There's meant to be a note in the readme about this. If it's set to "Speed" then Studio will run out of memory and crash.

Using the supplied render settings will set this for you as well.

Thank you for your reply

is this set suppose to be real laggyy when trying to move the camera;''s and characters around.. because its very laggy on my system trying to pose my cameras. 

Drill down to Terrain 01 -> Ultrascattered Strappy Grass 01 -> Strappy Grass 01 Instances. Then under parameters turn Instance Preview off. That'll get rid of 99% of the lag in the viewport.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited July 2016

Well.. Picked this up this AM.. LOL, I never thought I;d see a 3DL render go so SLOWLY! - not an issue in the future, as one day I'll get a proper PC (with luck)..  Not going to return it as component bits and bobs are nicely done and individual pieces will be useful in other scenes... So, Thanks for this one!

Post edited by hacsart on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

@ PhilW  I used one of Stonemasons cloud props in the back drop  .

@mambanegra  I bet it would make a great hourse trail.  But i didn't notice any morphs to the trail system.  But you can move tree and grass groups around maybe you can do that to plus there are tree and grass props to add more to your scene if you have a computer system thats can handle it to make it look more like a moutain  trails

@Kevin Sanderson  Thank you very much .. Howies sets are awesome. and this set was a instant buy I'm so glad the crash issue I was having just required a PC re start.  The tree groups & grass props will be very handy for kit bashing as well. 

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    hacsart said:

Well.. Picked this up this AM.. LOL, I never thought I;d see a 3DL render go so SLOWLY! - not an issue in the future, as one day I'll get a proper PC (with luck)..  Not going to return it as component bits and bobs are nicely done and individual pieces will be useful in other scenes... So, Thanks for this one!

I come from a background of rendering detailed landscapes - any render that completes in less than an hour is considered fast to me lol - so it's all relative. I did find that using "Progressive Rendering -> On" on my quadcore Xeon was significantly faster for 3DL with this scene (like 3 to 4 times faster than when using buckets).

edited July 2016

Well.. even after some careful selective deletions, I was looking at an estimated 10 hours  for a render at 1680x1050.. Next time, I'll get a proper Intel processoor (thi si an AMD A10-6800K rig, good at generating heat, though :)  Still, as I said this is a worthwhile set!

EDIT: = PS.. trying progressive, and it does seem quite a bit faster, time will tell..

hacsart said:

I come from a background of rendering detailed landscapes - any render that completes in less than an hour is considered fast to me lol - so it's all relative. I did find that using "Progressive Rendering -> On" on my quadcore Xeon was significantly faster for 3DL with this scene (like 3 to 4 times faster than when using buckets).

• XtraDimensionalXtraDimensional Posts: 509
    edited July 2016

I let this cook for around 2 hours.

Post edited by XtraDimensional on
    Hanabi said:

I let this cook for around 2 hours.

Love the colors!
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited July 2016

I tried the 3Delight one in Octane in DS4.7 but it did not see the instances

it usually gives me a warning but renders them anyway, may be any number of reasons not the least being 4.7 an old build

anyway trying an iray animation in DS 4.9 public build set only 20 secs a frame so prob a bit rough, will see how it goes

taking longer, up to frame 20 is 28 mins

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I'm guessing this won't work on DS 4.6 let alone an original P4 HT even though it is 3Ghz cpu and 3GB of RAM. Don't even want to further embarrass myself by stating what my old video card is. Took this item out of the cart. Sorry. I'll stick with the other items I have in Carrara and port the finished png into daz as my background.

well the instances show in DS4.7 just not Octane Render 2, not got 3 yet

so the 3Delight one should work

Sad said:

Octane may need you to "break" the instance groups apart. Select the instance group (such as Scene Root -> Terrain 01 -> UltraScattered Large Trees 1 -> Beech Large 01 Instances) then use Edit -> Object -> Instances -> Break Instance Group...

Sad said:

Octane may need you to "break" the instance groups apart. Select the instance group (such as Scene Root -> Terrain 01 -> UltraScattered Large Trees 1 -> Beech Large 01 Instances) then use Edit -> Object -> Instances -> Break Instance Group...

Ah the nested instances thing I know well from OR4C

rendering my iray ani at the moment which will take all day so will relook later as quite frankly I am not as impressed by iray compared to Octane hence my using it in  4.7 which is because has other things later builds changed I use in rigging stuff.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

While this is very nice indeed, it seems it might be a struggle to get enough light in the scene when placing a character in it, unless it is in direct sunlight. I think you'd need to stick a light in there in addition to an HDRI or it would be too dark if your character was in the shaddows.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited July 2016
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Drill down to Terrain 01 -> Ultrascattered Strappy Grass 01 -> Strappy Grass 01 Instances. Then under parameters turn Instance Preview off. That'll get rid of 99% of the lag in the viewport.

This made it Tango! laugh

I checked the first trees and saw they were all instanced off so did not check grass and was wondering why was soooo slow responding. All instancing preview must be off to be able to move the point of vue or pose. 

I missed this thread but did not miss the introductory sale. Thanks Howie! I have used almost all your works in Carrara and have being missing them in DS though all your plants  but trees I've allready imported into DS iRay. I am very glad you plan to make wonderful thing for this new great engine.

Will wait *calmly* for PhilW's hairs to come too wink

Post edited by Jerife on
  • StalestStalest Posts: 821

I too had the lag when setting up the following scene crying, but, hiding/turning of the previews helped enormously laugh

botmoto1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I have lag just using the parts of PC+ Carnival set I'm using now but they are fun these nice environments.

Sad said:

well started to, DS just cannot handle it when tried the native violets just got into an eternal spin of the mouse so iray it is

so  - 8 hours and 36 minutes and 86% completed - can it finsh in 5 hours more? who knows? smiley

Sad said:
    Sad said:

well started to, DS just cannot handle it when tried the native violets just got into an eternal spin of the mouse so iray it is

Yeah, there are about 20,000 of those which is why using instance groups in the first place was necessary keep things workable.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Sounds like a great opportunity to use those Iray cut node thingies.

edited July 2016

Well...

1st go with it - 12 hour 43 minutes render time - worth it, I think!

harpwood_trail_dt80_1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 2M

the video I did, run through Slomo for second half, yes grainy as was fairly fast but can prob solve a lot of that rendering bigger with less pixel detail then downsizing like I do in Octane, iray is something I still need to get accustomed to finding settings in.

hacsart said:

Well...

1st go with it - 12 hour 43 minutes render time - worth it, I think!

Oh wow - memories. I had a friend who used to ride a Yamaha DT200