Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

I'm having a Issue in trying to render this set in Iray. It rennders in 3dl great But no matter what version of daz software i use when using iray this set crashes about 15 seconds into rendering . and I am not rendering in preview mode either.

see screen shots.

I tried to render this in Daz 4.9 & in 4.8  with the same results.. any help here into what I am doing wrong would be great

3.jpg
    551 x 526 - 67K
    2.jpg
    1910 x 1180 - 284K
    Capture.JPG
    1710 x 1107 - 299K
    edited July 2016

this is how it looks with 3dl with no lights or presets.

3dl.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited July 2016

also during this test of using the 3dl preset i noticed the sky dome does not render even though its showing in the scene before render. this was rendered in the new Daz 4.9 Beta

so I tried it in daz 4.8 same results.

see screen shot

edited for screen shots

3dl -preset.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 466K
    4.jpg
    1911 x 1105 - 444K
    Post edited by Ivy on

I should mention it tooks about 12 minutes to render in 3dl using the presets.

• Ivy said:

I should mention it tooks about 12 minutes to render in 3dl using the presets.

Forget the presets Ivy. I've seen your animations. You could do better. Move the sun for some interesting shadows and do ray trace. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this with Reality/Luxrender.
    edited July 2016

Your advice would be great accept this set is very laggy trying to pose objs in it let alone light sources. and in Iray it crashes everytime for me.

I tried this on my older i7 machine it crashes.  I tried 2 PC's configurations.. this report isfrom my win 7 machine with a older gtx 970

when I tried rendering using 2 distant lights without the 3dl light presetns and no UE dome.. it still took about 10 minutes to render,

I keep getting this error s mesaage in my log file when i load iray version.  and No I am not using daz connent or any of its cloud componets.

Log file text.  included.. I may need to ask for a refund if i can;t get this figured out  .. I have a pretty hight end systems too . in Iray its very laggy posing.

2016-26-24 09:26:17.719 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in contentGetByRelativePath: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    2016-26-24 09:26:21.899 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in productGet: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    2016-26-24 09:26:22.109 File loaded in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2016-26-24 09:26:22.109 Loaded file: Harpwood Trail Camera Pos 02.duf

I just fired up my big systems with 24 gigs and 2 GTX 980 tis to try this set on brb in a few minutes

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by Ivy on

Okay I tried this set on my Big system in Iray with the same results. About 20 seconds in to rendering  Daz Shuts down.

I included a log file from my big system when i compare the log files the erros looks exactly the same .. Other than what I have done I donno what else there is .. I can only use this set in 3DL and am limited on that.  any advice would be appreacited

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    edited July 2016
    Ivy said:

Okay I tried this set on my Big system in Iray with the same results. About 20 seconds in to rendering  Daz Shuts down.

I included a log file from my big system when i compare the log files the erros looks exactly the same .. Other than what I have done I donno what else there is .. I can only use this set in 3DL and am limited on that.  any advice would be appreacited

Have you set the Instancing Optimization to "Memory" in the render settings? There's meant to be a note in the readme about this. If it's set to "Speed" then Studio will run out of memory and crash.

Using the supplied render settings will set this for you as well.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
    edited July 2016
    Ivy said:

Have you set the Instancing Optimization to "Memory" in the render settings? There's meant to be a note in the readme about this. If it's set to "Speed" then Studio will run out of memory and crash.

Thank you for your reply

is this set suppose to be real laggyy when trying to move the camera;''s and characters around.. because its very laggy on my system trying to pose my cameras. 

I tried the render setting as you sugested with Iray. which I was able to get about 25% of the scene rendered then it crashed.  and onl;y using 33% of my rams.

I included a log fil and screen captures of my rendering right up to the crash

edit for additional infor

this system I used is A i7-3800 3..5ghz  with 24 gigs of ram and 8 gigs of vram

2.jpg
    1910 x 1194 - 270K
    Capture.JPG
    1914 x 1199 - 295K
    4.jpg
    1915 x 1197 - 137K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Thank you for your reply

is this set suppose to be real laggyy when trying to move the camera;''s and characters around.. because its very laggy on my system trying to pose my cameras. 

I tried the render setting as you sugested with Iray. which I was able to get about 25% of the scene rendered then it crashed.  and onl;y using 33% of my rams.

There's a lot of stuff in the scene so navigating has the potential to be slow - you could try hiding even more trees from the preview.

Are you still using the 4.9 beta? The scene was created in version 4.9.0.63 so I have no idea how it would respond in the moving target that is a beta version.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2016
    Ivy said:

this is how it looks with 3dl with no lights or presets.

I like this, it has an almost surreal look to it.

I rarely buy such products, but somehow my mouse went click, click, click!

Post edited by nicstt on
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    I've looked a bit deeper into it and found the "Instancing Optimization" render option. I had it set to "Speed" instead of "Memory" and this means all the geometry is "flattened" at render time so instead of holding each object in memory only once it holds the geometry of each and every instance - which would equal many, many billions of polys in this scene.

So one little render setting is the difference between "Yeah I'll happily render that" and "I'll steal all the memories until Studio dies".

The following render I stopped after after 10 minutes, but it shows Iray will work... phew. Haven't done anything much other than straight "select shaders -> convert to uber iray" so not indicative of final product. DS memory usuage was only 1.89GB during the render.

TL:DR Set Instance Optimization to "Memory"... winning.

Very interesting. I have little memory in my lowly Nvidia card and when Iray first came out I had tried using that setting at "memory" oprimized vs speed. Boom! Instant crash!  Known bug.  I guess it got fixed and I didn't know. Thanks for pointing it out.  

And  on another note, glad you are expanding into Studio. Your products are up there with Stonemason's in the "wait, that's 3d?" scale.  I have an old version of Carrara but never really mastered it and so never invested in your amazing stuff before. In truth, I haven't mastered studio either (blush) but I'm more committed to it so I can't wait to give a 'Howie Farkes' scene a try finally!

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Thank you for your reply

There's a lot of stuff in the scene so navigating has the potential to be slow - you could try hiding even more trees from the preview.

Are you still using the 4.9 beta? The scene was created in version 4.9.0.63 so I have no idea how it would respond in the moving target that is a beta version.

I just tried this in Daz Studio 4.9.2.70 full version and it did the same thing. got about 20 seconds into rendering and it crashed.

So I created a very heavy dark scene for testing my iRay using a bunch of diffrent sets together  to max out my V-ram  and it rendered fine, took about 15 minutes.  so I don't seen to have any issues with window up updates or NIVIDA GPU driver updates   I even rolled back my java driver that updated last night to see if there was a issue there.  So I donno what to do now  as you can see my iray is rendering fine under heavy loads. by my test sample

you said hiding tress helps  with the poseing . so I'll try that next and see how many i have to hide to render this scene. . I'm only rendering this at 1920 x 1080  too so  there should be plenty of head room for rendering a basic scene with no characters in it

test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 130K
    edited July 2016
    I've looked a bit deeper into it and found the "Instancing Optimization" render option. I had it set to "Speed" instead of "Memory" and this means all the geometry is "flattened" at render time so instead of holding each object in memory only once it holds the geometry of each and every instance - which would equal many, many billions of polys in this scene.

So one little render setting is the difference between "Yeah I'll happily render that" and "I'll steal all the memories until Studio dies".

The following render I stopped after after 10 minutes, but it shows Iray will work... phew. Haven't done anything much other than straight "select shaders -> convert to uber iray" so not indicative of final product. DS memory usuage was only 1.89GB during the render.

TL:DR Set Instance Optimization to "Memory"... winning.

Very interesting. I have little memory in my lowly Nvidia card and when Iray first came out I had tried using that setting at "memory" oprimized vs speed. Boom! Instant crash!  Known bug.  I guess it got fixed and I didn't know. Thanks for pointing it out.  

And  on another note, glad you are expanding into Studio. Your products are up there with Stonemason's in the "wait, that's 3d?" scale.  I have an old version of Carrara but never really mastered it and so never invested in your amazing stuff before. In truth, I haven't mastered studio either (blush) but I'm more committed to it so I can't wait to give a 'Howie Farkes' scene a try finally!

Yeah, I've heard from a few sources now that once upon a time setting it to "Memory" used to result in a crash - indeed must have been fixed because it is the only way to render a scene with 1000s of instances in it now.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Thank you for your reply

I just tried this in Daz Studio 4.9.2.70 full version and it did the same thing. got about 20 seconds into rendering and it crashed.

So I created a very heavy dark scene for testing my iRay using a bunch of diffrent sets together  to max out my V-ram  and it rendered fine, took about 15 minutes.  so I don't seen to have any issues with window up updates or NIVIDA GPU driver updates   I even rolled back my java driver that updated last night to see if there was a issue there.  So I donno what to do now  as you can see my iray is rendering fine under heavy loads. by my test sample

you said hiding tress helps  with the poseing . so I'll try that next and see how many i have to hide to render this scene. . I'm only rendering this at 1920 x 1080  too so  there should be plenty of head room for rendering a basic scene with no characters in it

In that case I'm out of ideas and I suggest you take it up Daz support.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Ivy thanks for posting your findings, please let us know if you find a solution. Since this set has to serve as a background for the addition of other figures and props it's important to me to make sure it will allow the resources for this to happen and based on your findings it's not looking good.

edited July 2016
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Thank you for your reply

In that case I'm out of ideas and I suggest you take it up Daz support.

Thank you for your reply.

I rendered this test scene On my big systems which is a intel i7 3800 Ivy Bridge 3.5 ghz , 24 gigs of ram and 8 gigs of vram  in Daz 4.8  and after taking some of your advice moving and shutting off some trees. and making a few minor adjustments to my PC like shutting off my redhat on my Unix server and turning on my GPU boost and over clocking it at around 25%  on my 2 - GXT 980ti cards. I was able to render this set.   after playing with what you have for a render setting and pushed down the max sample rate from your default of 5000 max rate to 500. max rate  I was able to get this set to render under 5 minutes no crashes.. I think maybe my Unix server running in the back ground was interfering some how.

Anyway this 1080hd render test took 3 minutes with the max sample rate set at 500 . This is a little graining and very heavy in weight at 500 + KBs  so I'm sure increasing the max sample rate to say 2000 will clear this up.   I just had to find away to render the set first .. it is very resource intensive for sure. I just want a starting point. I can always reduce weight size in post work. 

I'll work with it a little more to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help

test 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 521K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

I may pop it in my cart yet simply to see how Octane handles it (3Delight version prob)

I use other mesh trees in your Carrara sets for Octane except the Teagarden which I now can fit on my 980ti after much modification mostly dialing down smoothness on trees and using decimated mesh versions and a fair bit of inagoni  texture baking 

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

@HowieFarkes Thanks for the magnificent work on the set. It is rare to see a product that looks almost as good in 3dl as iray. Bravo. Definite buy. I almost feel guilty buying it at this price. I hope everyone else buys it too.

Hi HowieFarkes

just for the heck of it I rebooted my PC and I am guessing the issue I was having of this set crashing when rendering must have been resolved after my rebooting because. everything seems resolved now.

I was able to render your set using Iray in 1080  with the Iray setting you provided.  I added a character to the scene to see how it looked. it took 33 minutes. it was using 45% of my 24 gig Ram .   I'm very happy this was just a simple issue of rebooting my PC to make this set work.(  Duh I should have tried that first )  Because i'm very happy with how this looks. . i will get tons of uses out of it. though maybe not use in any animations. it is still little resource intensive.

test 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 396K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    that's beautiful
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Nice work Ivy!  I am still on the fence as I have a stand and deliver scene already to go with a carriage, tack, 4 horses, 4 clothed figures with props just needing an environment backdrop such as this. Guess I can try it out and see.

Nice work Ivy!  I am still on the fence as I have a stand and deliver scene already to go with a carriage, tack, 4 horses, 4 clothed figures with props just needing an environment backdrop such as this. Guess I can try it out and see.

I find this set a little dark.  so if you want your characters to show up you may need to adjust the environment settings some .  I know if i were to add more than this character to this scene I would properly remove a few tree groups just so I could pose stuff .. posing stuff in this set seems very Laggy to me..  I haven't played with the light settings.  I just used the preset that HowieFarkes recommends. 

I'm working on adding a jeep fin this scene so I'll let you kow how it works out

that's beautiful

Thanks Will :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I'm a Carrara user rather than DS but I have most of Howie's Carrara scenes and just thought I would chime in with a suggestion. As some have noted, it is such a complex scene that posing, camera moves and making adjustments can be sluggish.  What I do in Carrara is to set up my figures scene separately and save that as a scene file. I can then import that scene into one of Howie's sets in order to do the final render. I am sure that DS can do something similar, it might just help.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

This is the sort of scene I'd like to render in Cararra with Genesis 3 characters. Well, and a new computer.

@ Phil W  Thanks for the sugestion..This is rather a huge set so that is what I did with this scene I created the jeep and g2f character first than added the road set. it was much easier setting up for poses that way. this render took about 40 minutes. 

I am going to get a lot of use from this set for sure I'm really happy with the results of these renders.

country riding.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 351K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Very cool and atmospheric render! I have made great use of Howie's scenes (and learned a lot by studying how they are put together) and I am sure lots of DS users will too!

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 569

Howie, this comes at a terrible time...after I spent way too much on old stuff that was priced too good to pass up...but, I'm going to indulge myself and buy it anyway...:)

How hard would it be to change the road to look more like an old mountain trail or a horse trail or something? 

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

Ivy, that's a very good render with the jeep and girl in Howie's scene!