Install Studio 4.9 on Mac, get error: "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established."

Comments

• samurlesamurle Posts: 94
    edited May 2016
    samurle said:

Did you install PostgreSQL CMS?

Nope, only the main program was installed.  I always work offline, so it was never installed.  And it seems from the docs the only way to get PostgreSQL is to download it using the Install Manager, because it doesn't come as a separate package.

Having to install something to get rid of something is quite a backwards approach. :)
    I can see why it's causing so much confusion now.  Thanks.

What the main program needs is a "Work offline and don't ask me again" checkbox, and bury it in the CMS settings.

Post edited by samurle on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,194

This link should take you to the stand-alone installer for PostgreSQL CMS in your Product Library http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/18869

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

There is already a "Work Offline and don't ask me again" checkbox.  The CMS provides many functions, it isn't just for use with Daz Connect.

edited May 2016

This link should take you to the stand-alone installer for PostgreSQL CMS in your Product Library http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/18869

Thanks, I installed PostgreSQ and I still get the same startup error message.  "Do you want the application "postgres" to accept incoming network connections?"  Deny or Allow..

Well, that didn't seem to work, but I did learn one thing.  The dialog box I see is not coming from Daz Studio.  It's a MacOSX system dialog box.  It says "this setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of the Security & Privacy preferences."

So, going to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall, I do see that my Firewall is turned on. Going into Firewall options, I see that the postgres app is set to block incoming connections.

I also see an option called "Enable stealth mode".  "Don't respond to or acknowledge attempts to access this computer."
    Tried enabling this option to see if the message box would go away, but it didn't work either.

[edit]
    Fixed it!
    I just had to delete the postgres.app entry from the Firewall list, and the Allow/Deny message box no longer appears.
    Awesome.  Sanity restored. :)

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

Does this fix it for everybody? I also see today (for the first time on the DAZ site, I believe) the message that DAZStudio 4.9.2 Update is available. Does this fix the problem also? Is 4.9.2 a fine version for Macintosh users (using OS X 10.11.5)? Don't want to stray off-topic, but I'm wondering if 4.9.2 will take care of such problems.

edited May 2016

I thought I squashed both dialogs, but my victory was short-lived.  I still get the MacOSX firewall dialog every time I run Daz Studio.  Already tried 4.9.2.

It always seems to add itself to my MacOSX firewall list.  Even if I delete it, it comes back again:

This Daz Studio dialog can be removed by installing PostgresSQL:

I did notice that the Daz Studio app is not signed.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the Firewall dialog box popping up all the time.

deny_or_allow.png
    532 x 290 - 43K
    postgre_sql.png
    488 x 209 - 68K
    firewall_list.png
    780 x 654 - 111K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

So you click "Allow", but it asks you again each time?

On, my computer, for the third dialog box you're showing, samurle, the Firewall dialog, for postgres, it says "allow incoming connections." As Fixmypcmike,  is asking, do you click "Allow"? Why does it show "Block incoming connections"?

Of course, as noted before, I'm using DAZStudio 4.8. Also, you say that the DAZStudio app is not signed. That's the same thing for me. I've never filled in my name for it; that is, for which works I've done.

Well, I'm hoping you get this worked out. Maybe DAZStudio 4.9.3 is something I'd better wait for? I'm definitely not a computer-savy guru.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited May 2016

i had a series of postgreSQL/CMS-related errors after installing 4.9.2 on el capitan 10.11.5, including this last one. 

resetting all non-default filepaths in Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager fixed the first round.

deleting and reinstalling DS's postgrSQL software fixed the second.  (i deleted via DIM.  believe i reinstalled by searching for PostgreSQL in my account Product Library on daz3d.com, and clicking on the green link to resend it to DIM...not sure, though.)

then i had this. i didn't have the firewall shout-out, but i did have the error pop-up. 

what was happening--for me, anyway--was that DS was trying to phone home, but wasn't displaying the login window that it usually displays on startup. 

the fix is to dismiss the error popup, go to Connect > Login in the menu bar, and log in as usual. 

then dismiss the next error popup, and w-a-i-t--- for the CMS to update/verify content ownership/whatever. 

quick aside to future DS developers:  it's be very nice if there was a friendly in-your-face progress bar with a reassuring message for this process...if you don't know to expect it, you're not going to realize that Upgrade Purgatory is almost over. 

when the CMS update is complete, quit and relaunch Daz Studio. if you're lucky, you'll be greeted by the normal login or work offline? popup.

hope this helps someone!

j

Post edited by jardine on

Well, thanks jardine. But, for me, I don't want to go through what I regard as a mess. I'm also fearful that one person seems to have one or several errors, and another user has maybe one of the errors of the previous user, but some new errors. So, would this work for me, if I tried to upgrade? Or, would I face new problems?

Once again, I really think that DAZ needs to rewrite this, at least thef Macintosh version, so that the product installs and then runs without all of these errors. 

I don't mean to leave the Windows people out, but I don't know whether or not the Windows people are having these problems.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    inquire said:

Well, thanks jardine. But, for me, I don't want to go through what I regard as a mess. I'm also fearful that one person seems to have one or several errors, and another user has maybe one of the errors of the previous user, but some new errors. So, would this work for me, if I tried to upgrade? Or, would I face new problems?

Once again, I really think that DAZ needs to rewrite this, at least thef Macintosh version, so that the product installs and then runs without all of these errors. 

I don't mean to leave the Windows people out, but I don't know whether or not the Windows people are having these problems.

The problem is that many of these problems are configuration specific...that means something on a specific machine, whether it is OS, security software or settings.  These are not universal problems.

OK, well are Windows machines experiencing similar problems? Are Windows users, as a whole, experiencing fewer problems than Macintosh users? It seems that way to me, but perhaps that's because I'm a Macintosh user and more aware of problems that creep up for Macintosh users.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309
    inquire said:

OK, well are Windows machines experiencing similar problems? Are Windows users, as a whole, experiencing fewer problems than Macintosh users? It seems that way to me, but perhaps that's because I'm a Macintosh user and more aware of problems that creep up for Macintosh users.

I have a Windows 7 machine which started throwning up this problem when I upgraded from Studio 4.8.0.59 to 4.9.1.30.  I started with 4.5 and then went through 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 beta and 4.8 with no problems. 

I posted this problem on the official 9.1, thread and Richard Haseltine helpfully came up with th few suggestions.  When I get a spare minute, I'm going to try his last one, disconect from the Internet and then disable the firewall and anti-virus, when I get a spare minute.

Cheers,

Alex.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

To the original poster: have you considered updating your OS?  I don't see this problem on El Capitan, but did see it on Snow Leopard.  You are somewhere in between (Mountain Lion, I think).

But jardine, above, is using El Capitan, OS X 10.11.5.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I'm getting the error now on El Cpitan.. just did a copy to resinall from an old image.

I think the problem is in the CMS settings in preferences...it's pointing to "none".. when I try to point it to various places, I click apply/accept..it closes, but if i reopen, it stays blank..

Screenshot 2016-06-11 21.42.55.png
    433 x 190 - 33K
    Screenshot 2016-06-12 21.04.17.png
    1231 x 512 - 37K
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

And uninstalling PostgreSQL CMS and resintalling it thru DIM fixed it....

I'm seeing this green login button now....is tht normal? I don't recall it before.

Screenshot 2016-06-12 22.46.03.png
    179 x 169 - 16K
  • Scavenger said:
    I'm seeing this green login button now....is tht normal? I don't recall it before.

Yes, assuming you aren't logged in of course.

• MyLaMyLa Posts: 8

I got same today, MacOS, i use no firewall. 

• edited July 2016
    LeLa said:

Hi LeLa

Did you have to re-boot before it worked? Do you have to be logged in to the DAZ3DIM app for DAZstudio to work properly?

I have just wasted a whole morning trying all manner of things. Anyone get DAZstudio 4.9 to work in Lion (10.7.5)?

Paul

Post edited by paulmgillard_792bc08ec1 on

I feel for you. Awful when this kind of thing happens. As it says in the link to "this one helps me": CMS was always a problem. In many verisons huge number of users had issue that Daz doesn't see its content.

• axentricaxentric Posts: 3

There's one "doh" obvious thing which should be checked by anyone troubleshooting this problem:

Be sure that the "Cluster Directory" in your Preferences:CMS panel is actually pointing to your CMS Directory. In my case, I found that it was pointing to a directory and subdirectory which don't exist. Did a spotlight search for "CMS", found the directory, pointed Daz to it, and lo and behold, working again.

THIS helped! Thank you!

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723
    edited August 2016

I've read through the first two pages of this discussion. I'm a Mac user with El Capitan. I never have any of these problems. I did learn awhile ago that I need to install and uninstall DAZ Studio and PostgreSQL CMS using DIM. I use DIM to install all my content initially. Then I manually organize my stuff to my desired setup. I ignore Smart Content and the database. I run the Mac Firewall, but never fuss with any settings. The biggest adjustment I made to Apple's security was to allow installation of apps from "anywhere!" 

I really sympathize with people having problems with PostgreSQL CMS. This should not happen. You should not need to go through some long, painful process in an effort to fix things. I can't help wonder Why some people with El Capitan have this problem while others don't?! I'd be happy to compare notes, either here, or in PM if anyone is interested.

Post edited by Ron Knights on

Any further followup? Is DAZ working on a slightly different version of 4.9, one that will start without presenting these problems?

Very generous of you, Ron Knights, by the way, to offer to compare notes. I'm still a coward; still on 4.8. I've had problems with new versions of DAZ in the past. Don't want another round of going mad.

judee3d said:
    frank0314 said:

Do NOT run Daz Studio as Administrator. Doing so WILL cause permission issues with PostgreSQL.

Um, and how do I not do this? I have a new PC, and am automatically the Admin, it's a personal home pc, with me the only user. The account is the account. I dont' have a secondary non-admin account, nor do I know how to set one up. If DS is installed as Admin, and postgreSQL also, why don't they work together?

I love many of the changes, but honestly? Daz Studio, my favorite program, has gotten way too complex for me. I used to download my products and install them where I wanted them, in external runtimes. DIM is great in that it lets you still install to external runtimes if you want, but figuring out how to set that up to do so is a nightmare. Now with Daz Connect, it's even more confusing.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

btw, I can't seem to find a way to subscribe to a thread - or is it automatic when you respond? I wrote a thread about this problem last week, but never got a notice, maybe no one repliled to it, but now I can't find it.

Like I said, lol, getting old.

Running from an administrator account is fine - that isn't the same as Run as Adminsirator, available from a right-click on the application icon and triggering a UAC prompt if your preferecnes are set that way.

Is this true for the Macintosh as well? I don't understand the difference between Run as Administrator and Running from an Administrator Account. I'm on a Macintosh and I do run DS from an administrator acount. Will there be no problem with version 4.9 because of this?

• It is not broken for all Mac users, which suggests that theer is some aprticular circumstance on your system that is causing a conflict.

It's also happening on some Windows machines: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110291/smart-content-does-not-work-valid-postgresql-in-question#latest

And there's also this, which may not be quite the same, but it indicates 4.9 may have trouble finding the content: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/70013/ds-4-9-does-not-login-into-connect#latest

Again, I'm still having confusion about Run as Administrator and Running from an Administrator Account. If I install DS 4.9, is it OK to do so to an Administrator Account?

• inquire said:

Again, I'm still having confusion about Run as Administrator and Running from an Administrator Account. If I install DS 4.9, is it OK to do so to an Administrator Account?

Yes, using an administrator account is fine - as long as you don't use the administrator rights to run the application with elevated privileges (Run as Adminsitrator) it will work. The administrator account gives you superpowers, but they aren't used unless you trigger them.