Install Studio 4.9 on Mac, get error: "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established."

Comments

• There's one "doh" obvious thing which should be checked by anyone troubleshooting this problem:

Be sure that the "Cluster Directory" in your Preferences:CMS panel is actually pointing to your CMS Directory. In my case, I found that it was pointing to a directory and subdirectory which don't exist. Did a spotlight search for "CMS", found the directory, pointed Daz to it, and lo and behold, working again.

DAZStudioScreenSnapz004mod.jpg
    1512 x 664 - 75K
  • I had the same after reinstalling DAZ on a new pc. I loaded it from DIM as stated here, and all is OK now

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210

I'd stayed away from 4.9 as could tell from the forums there were problems. Had a spare PC I don't use so thought nothing to risk. Get the same Postgre SQL problems as reported on this thread. Took me 3 months importing and re-importing to go from Valentina to Postgre SQL. Had no problems with Valentina. Have no problems with Postgre SQL now either. Now Daz would like us to use connect. Daz are superb at yield management but I wish they consider compatibility with existing users more. Quite apart from messing around with our huge content libraries there was Artzone and Poser compatibilty as other examples where no respect was shown to existing users. Message would be keep with what works and stop messing around. This is meant to be a hobby and fun, not an IT problem.

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210

Tried following this thread. The problem seemed to be admin vz user rights on the Postgre CMS directory so it would run if I ran Daz Studio as admin. However I could still not see my content categories. My edit/preferences/CMS pointed to the right files too. Tried reloading DS 4.9 and PostgreSQL a few times without success. After 4 hours set it back to DS 4.8. I need to backup my files across 4 PCs so my CMS needs to be transferable across several PCs and not set to a particular user. In 4.8 it didn't matter. With this DRM thing my heart was set against 4.9 but looks like I can't get it to work anyhow! Was thinking what other software takes hours to resolve installation. Answer none.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385

Do NOT run Daz Studio as Administrator. Doing so WILL cause permission issues with PostgreSQL.

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    frank0314 said:

Do NOT run Daz Studio as Administrator. Doing so WILL cause permission issues with PostgreSQL.

Um, and how do I not do this? I have a new PC, and am automatically the Admin, it's a personal home pc, with me the only user. The account is the account. I dont' have a secondary non-admin account, nor do I know how to set one up. If DS is installed as Admin, and postgreSQL also, why don't they work together?

I love many of the changes, but honestly? Daz Studio, my favorite program, has gotten way too complex for me. I used to download my products and install them where I wanted them, in external runtimes. DIM is great in that it lets you still install to external runtimes if you want, but figuring out how to set that up to do so is a nightmare. Now with Daz Connect, it's even more confusing.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

btw, I can't seem to find a way to subscribe to a thread - or is it automatic when you respond? I wrote a thread about this problem last week, but never got a notice, maybe no one repliled to it, but now I can't find it.

Like I said, lol, getting old.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You need to bookmark the thread  

• judee3d said:
    frank0314 said:

Um, and how do I not do this? I have a new PC, and am automatically the Admin, it's a personal home pc, with me the only user. The account is the account. I dont' have a secondary non-admin account, nor do I know how to set one up. If DS is installed as Admin, and postgreSQL also, why don't they work together?

I love many of the changes, but honestly? Daz Studio, my favorite program, has gotten way too complex for me. I used to download my products and install them where I wanted them, in external runtimes. DIM is great in that it lets you still install to external runtimes if you want, but figuring out how to set that up to do so is a nightmare. Now with Daz Connect, it's even more confusing.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

btw, I can't seem to find a way to subscribe to a thread - or is it automatic when you respond? I wrote a thread about this problem last week, but never got a notice, maybe no one repliled to it, but now I can't find it.

Like I said, lol, getting old.

Running from an administrator account is fine - that isn't the same as Run as Adminsirator, available from a right-click on the application icon and triggering a UAC prompt if your preferecnes are set that way.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    agiu said:

Same error here  OS X 10.11.3

Oh, oh. That's what I'm running, OS X 10.11.3. I was just about to ask how good DS 4.9 was running on a Mac. Hmmmm, I think I'll wait for an update version.

Marshian said:

Imac / El Capitan - A reinstall PostgresSQL CMS through DIM didn't help. Smart Content works.

Oops! Another difficulty. I've found that the Mac versions of D|S often take longer to get fixed than the Windows ones do. I think that's due to D|S being written on Windows, and then "translators" being used to morph the app into the Mac version. (At least, I think that's what's happening.)

I think I should wait awhile, until D|S starts working well on the Mac, at least in El Capitan.

AndrewBCN said:

The same error on OS X El Capitan 10.11 with DazStudio 4.9, besides I can not export anything from Daz.

Sigh! Yes, this is all too typical of new versions of D|S for the Mac.

Theer are a few possible issues:

If DS was initially Run as Administrator (explicitly from the launch menu, not just launched normally in an administrator account) then the folder used by PostgreSQL may have been created with admin-level access rights and may not allow DS run normally to access it - if that was the case you would probably need to delete the folder and let DS rebuild it on next launch

Firewall issues - usually this is automatic, but you may need to allow both DS and PostgreSQL to communicate on Localhost, 127.0.0.1 (this doesn't allow internet access, it's purely for the local machine). ZoneAlarm has long-standing issues with PostgreSQL, though one user did report that it has an update that resolves them so it may be worth checking the publisher's site.

Port conflict - PostgreSQL uses a port to communicate with DS, if some other application is using the same port (Spotify was suggested as a possibility) that can block traffic. Changing the port number in DS, and possibly restarting, should resolve this (Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings, or DAZ Studio menu>Preferences>CMS Settings for a Mac).

I'm not a tech-aware user. I'm a graphic artist. I realize this is posted to help, but it's not much help to me. I think this should be fixed in an update so that people don't have to run into this and try to figure out what's happening and how to fix it.

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171

Running from an administrator account is fine - that isn't the same as Run as Adminsirator, available from a right-click on the application icon and triggering a UAC prompt if your preferecnes are set that way.

Thanks for the clarification, Richard.  You've always been so helpful. :)

And cohole, thanks for the info on bookmarking, my eyes arent what they used to be, didn't see that!  It doesn't send me any email info when a reply is made, but at least I can find it more easily. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2016
    judee3d said:

Thanks for the clarification, Richard.  You've always been so helpful. :)

And cohole, thanks for the info on bookmarking, my eyes arent what they used to be, didn't see that!  It doesn't send me any email info when a reply is made, but at least I can find it more easily. :)

If you go to your profile, and then click edit profile,  right at the top of the list there is  "Notification Preferences".  You can make sure that the right boxes are ticked.

Notify me of private messages.    
    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.    
    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

You can get to your profile by clicking your name under the avatar image, and you can edit it by clicking on the gear icon.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MorgannMorgann Posts: 1

Download and install PostgreSQL from the install manager and it should work fine.

• new computer windows 10 and i've tried everything listed here i get the same error and it's annoying me

Well, I hope somebody will mention when a new updated version of D|S 4.9 is released that fixes all of this. I'm not computer savy, so I would not know what to do with the present version. (I'm now running Macintosh version OS X 10.11.4.)

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Morgann said:

Download and install PostgreSQL from the install manager and it should work fine.

This did the trick, thanks ... I had just assumed that - when I slected DAZ Studio 4.9 in DIM - it would install all the necessary components, such as the database.

OK, but I'm on a Macintosh, not Windows, and the DIM shows Windows. Also, where do I find the Mac version of this? Would it show up in my DIM? Sorry to sound so dense, but I really don't know much about computers. I'm a graphic artist.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

DIM should show the Mac version, if it doesn't click the Download Filters button on the Ready to Download tab and make sure Mac is checked rather than Windows.

Thank you for the information.

• ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190

Daz spent about 3 months trying to fix this issue with me!

Still get the error message everytime and I've done everything that has been asked. Changed the port names, deleted folder and files and the "fault" is still there. I guess its a permanent "bug" in the software. Lets hope they cure if for version DS5.0 because if they keep adding issues like this they will end up with software that is more annoyign that useful!

Oh, wow! That's exactly why I have not yet gone up to version 4.9 of DAZ Studio (being that I'm on a Macintosh, OS X 10.11.5) [now 5, update just released a couple of days ago]. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

@ Scoopey: Are you still able to use the application, though? Is it just an annoyance? Or are there actual issues getting the 4.9 version to work?

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

This route got rid of the connection error (MAC) and brought results to Updates/Pending Tab in Smart Content:

1. uninstall Daz Studio and the PostgreSQL
    2. Then go to Application Support\DAZ 3D\ and delete the cms folder completely. 
    3. Once you have done that,go to: Applications/DAZ 3D/and delete the DAZStudio4 folder. 
    4. Now, reboot your computer and re-install Daz Studio and the PostgreSQL.
    5. Then open Daz Studio and re-import metadata.

This got rid of some files in the plugins folder, not sure what that means yet.

Wow! That still seems like a lot of work.

Uninstall DS and the PostgreSQL: working off-line with the DIM, I suppose?

Deleting the cms folder. Which folder is that? Why delete the DAZStudio4 folder? Reinstall DAZStudio and the PostgreSQL? Won't DS come with the PostgreSQL? And some of the plugins are missing?

Thanks for this information. But, actually, I would prefer to wait until DAZ write a version of DAZStudio that can install without this PostgreSQL CMS connection error.

I really don't think it should be up to a graphics person such as myself to debug and application, or to find bugs and find workarounds for them. Hopefully, DAZ is working to correct this.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

I think its one of these causing the connection error. I can control it showing up or not based on deleting or returning (back in) these files from the plugins folder.

plugins.png
    475 x 236 - 62K

Thanks for all of the information, Marshian. I still think it's up to DAZ to rewrite the Macintosh version of Studio 4.9, so that this error does not occur.

• samurlesamurle Posts: 94
    edited May 2016

I'm running DAZ Studio 64-bit on MacOSX 10.11, and this PostgreSQL error message appears every single time I run the program.  It doesn't matter if I click on the Allow or Deny button.  It keeps coming back again and again.  It won't die!

Changing the CMS port number to another number did not work, btw.

This is a fresh install of Daz Studio 4.9.  Zero content.  Have not configured anything.

I just need some simple instructions on how to get rid of it, forever.  It's quite annoying.  Thanks.

Post edited by samurle on

Well, I hope you've pointed this out in a DAZ bug report. Hopefully, DAZ is working on rewriting version 4.9, or maybe it will be version 5.0 that gets rid of this error.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    samurle said:

I'm running DAZ Studio 64-bit on MacOSX 10.11, and this PostgreSQL error message appears every single time I run the program.  It doesn't matter if I click on the Allow or Deny button.  It keeps coming back again and again.  It won't die!

Changing the CMS port number to another number did not work, btw.

This is a fresh install of Daz Studio 4.9.  Zero content.  Have not configured anything.

I just need some simple instructions on how to get rid of it, forever.  It's quite annoying.  Thanks

Did you install PostgreSQL CMS?