GTX 1080 Iray support?

Comments

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    MEC4D said:

Oh @hphoenix are you tired already ? hahahaha , with respect I love our conversations 

I do hope as well , but fast rendering as in gaming ? not see it coming as there is many factors, beside the competition to Quadros's second the higher temperatures while rendering, a lot higher than gaming could reduce the performance and last , very much possible not optimal driver on purpose to avoid everything I just said .

but as always , if grandma has a mustache she would be a grandpa cheeky everything ----if if if if --- and we deserve some light on it already 

I just hope for better cards , I have 2 years to the next upgrade , by the time I guess I will be running something better than 1080 anyway , but I really hope for the regular users here so they can enjoy iray as I do with less resources and more efficient , I mean fast card for the masses as we all hoped for .. one more month and the mystery will be solved 

and whatever it will be I am fine with it as it does not affect me in any way but the people that want to upgrade for better iray experiences and if it really render at last 150% faster that Titan X  I may consider upgrading my monitor card as well and use it for running OpenGL but only water cooled version since I have open case Rig Thermaltake P5

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

Yeah exactly,  the cards are not worth to be used as workstation cards and definitely not at the current price and I am not expecting wonders in iray as no matter what they will be not faster than my card anyway plus it have 4GB more to offer on top if that just for $100 more

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

4.8 render better in some cases ? lol  definitely not with iray it is bad apple.. not to mention it run the old material shaders with rather bad SSS and other bugs , the last version is the most fastest with iray to date as I need 200 less msec to even run the iray viewport what is huge improvement and with pixel reduction it  works even with my CPU in real time photoreal mode without GPU , plus there are a lot  more good stuff and features beside rendering that sadly 4.8 does not offer and should be forgotten already , it is too bad 

My apologize to getting too personal but  I like to be direct and less shady with people so you know what is on my mind , I rather tell you in face than behind you, but this don't mean I am attacking or judge , we have just more spicy conversation than usual , if we agree on everything things would be boring very quickly , to make it short at my age I rather spend less time on BS LOL and go straight to the core ..without the evil behind this all .

My exact quote from back up where this started "That graph is for Premiere Pro 4K video encoding.  Not 3D work or Iray.  It uses the video accelleration portion of the GPU, not CUDA."  (emphasis added)

I didn't claim it didn't use CUDA or OpenCL at all, or that it wouldn't help rendering performance, just not in video encoding.  And there is more to a GPU than CUDA or GPGPU instruction sets, as they've been accelerating other parts since way back before big 3D stuff.  Can a card do things with CUDA/OpenCL as well?  Of course.  But that doesn't mean it is the most efficient or fastest way to do it.  Not every algorithm scales to massive parallelism well (which is what using CUDA/OpenCL for performance is based on.)  Video compression and encoding is one of those algorithms that doesn't parallelize well.  For other raster operations, CUDA and OpenCL can give massive speed-ups, allowing greatly reduced time to generate effects, color-shifts, and even 3D overlays.  But it doesn't help during compression and encoding.  That uses the Video Acceleration portion of the GPU segments, which is pretty much based on core clock speed and memory bandwidth.  Which is why that particular graph does not provide appropriate comparison with regard to 3D rendering performance.

Well, I personally expect that once they get the driver/iray issues resolved, that we will see similar performance gains to the current gaming performance gains.  Which based on benchmarks that are being posted, shows a pretty consistent boost over a Titan X (stock, yes.)  Not double, true.  Saying the card is 'twice as powerful' is that whole 'peak performance' thing that no one EVER sees in practice.  But the gaming framerates indicate a pretty consistent 25% - 45% boost at 4k compared to a Titan X (stock Titan vs. stock 1080.)  The 1070 shows pretty consistent performance comparable to a Titan-X (again, stock vs. stock.)

Now, obviously, with the possibility of nVidia intentionally hamstringing the 1000 series cards in Iray to prevent it from competing against Quadro's, that may not be what we see.  Neither of us will know until they get the Iray fixes into place and resolve any bugs (no release is bug-free....)

nVidia may decide to not hamstring the 1000 series, and let the Pros upgrade for cheap for 6-12mo, then spring Volta on them for Quadros with specs that make the 1000 series look tame (and at typical Quadro prices!) so they upgrade AGAIN, thus even higher profits......wouldn't put it past them.

Obviously (again) the Titan-X and the Quadro cards all have more VRAM, and in that respect, I don't see any 1000-series cards exceeding.  The 1080Ti (if/when) we get specs, may offer 12GB, or even possibly 16GB.  We won't know until later.  And some AIB may make 1000-series cards with additional memory.  They've done it before.....

Such additional features are pure speculation at this point, but are based on prior releases and how they progressed (Kepler, Maxwell) but it'll be at least a month before we get any hard info on Iray performance.

So until we do, let's just agree that it could go either way.  smiley

No, not tired at all.  At least not yet.  wink  I'd just rather not drive away all the others with our going back and forth about our differences of opinion and how we interpret things.  Nor do I want Richard to have to come in moderate us.....

("No Dad!  He started it!"  "No he did!"  "No, She did!")

*gets ready to run and hide from the mods*

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Everyone have own view on things and see things differently as nobody run on the same wave length , sometimes we talk about the same things just with different words so thanks for having your own brain in this conversations as that is what I respect people for . I guess Richard;s radar kicks in thinking we going to lose it but not so fast .. we have still one month of speculations , who knows what tomorrow brings us again ..enlightenedangryangel

@Richard , thank you for your services ! kiss

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

Oh @hphoenix are you tired already ? hahahaha , with respect I love our conversations 

I do hope as well , but fast rendering as in gaming ? not see it coming as there is many factors, beside the competition to Quadros's second the higher temperatures while rendering, a lot higher than gaming could reduce the performance and last , very much possible not optimal driver on purpose to avoid everything I just said .

but as always , if grandma has a mustache she would be a grandpa cheeky everything ----if if if if --- and we deserve some light on it already 

I just hope for better cards , I have 2 years to the next upgrade , by the time I guess I will be running something better than 1080 anyway , but I really hope for the regular users here so they can enjoy iray as I do with less resources and more efficient , I mean fast card for the masses as we all hoped for .. one more month and the mystery will be solved 

and whatever it will be I am fine with it as it does not affect me in any way but the people that want to upgrade for better iray experiences and if it really render at last 150% faster that Titan X  I may consider upgrading my monitor card as well and use it for running OpenGL but only water cooled version since I have open case Rig Thermaltake P5

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

Yeah exactly,  the cards are not worth to be used as workstation cards and definitely not at the current price and I am not expecting wonders in iray as no matter what they will be not faster than my card anyway plus it have 4GB more to offer on top if that just for $100 more

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

4.8 render better in some cases ? lol  definitely not with iray it is bad apple.. not to mention it run the old material shaders with rather bad SSS and other bugs , the last version is the most fastest with iray to date as I need 200 less msec to even run the iray viewport what is huge improvement and with pixel reduction it  works even with my CPU in real time photoreal mode without GPU , plus there are a lot  more good stuff and features beside rendering that sadly 4.8 does not offer and should be forgotten already , it is too bad 

My apologize to getting too personal but  I like to be direct and less shady with people so you know what is on my mind , I rather tell you in face than behind you, but this don't mean I am attacking or judge , we have just more spicy conversation than usual , if we agree on everything things would be boring very quickly , to make it short at my age I rather spend less time on BS LOL and go straight to the core ..without the evil behind this all .

My exact quote from back up where this started "That graph is for Premiere Pro 4K video encoding.  Not 3D work or Iray.  It uses the video accelleration portion of the GPU, not CUDA."  (emphasis added)

I didn't claim it didn't use CUDA or OpenCL at all, or that it wouldn't help rendering performance, just not in video encoding.  And there is more to a GPU than CUDA or GPGPU instruction sets, as they've been accelerating other parts since way back before big 3D stuff.  Can a card do things with CUDA/OpenCL as well?  Of course.  But that doesn't mean it is the most efficient or fastest way to do it.  Not every algorithm scales to massive parallelism well (which is what using CUDA/OpenCL for performance is based on.)  Video compression and encoding is one of those algorithms that doesn't parallelize well.  For other raster operations, CUDA and OpenCL can give massive speed-ups, allowing greatly reduced time to generate effects, color-shifts, and even 3D overlays.  But it doesn't help during compression and encoding.  That uses the Video Acceleration portion of the GPU segments, which is pretty much based on core clock speed and memory bandwidth.  Which is why that particular graph does not provide appropriate comparison with regard to 3D rendering performance.

Well, I personally expect that once they get the driver/iray issues resolved, that we will see similar performance gains to the current gaming performance gains.  Which based on benchmarks that are being posted, shows a pretty consistent boost over a Titan X (stock, yes.)  Not double, true.  Saying the card is 'twice as powerful' is that whole 'peak performance' thing that no one EVER sees in practice.  But the gaming framerates indicate a pretty consistent 25% - 45% boost at 4k compared to a Titan X (stock Titan vs. stock 1080.)  The 1070 shows pretty consistent performance comparable to a Titan-X (again, stock vs. stock.)

Now, obviously, with the possibility of nVidia intentionally hamstringing the 1000 series cards in Iray to prevent it from competing against Quadro's, that may not be what we see.  Neither of us will know until they get the Iray fixes into place and resolve any bugs (no release is bug-free....)

nVidia may decide to not hamstring the 1000 series, and let the Pros upgrade for cheap for 6-12mo, then spring Volta on them for Quadros with specs that make the 1000 series look tame (and at typical Quadro prices!) so they upgrade AGAIN, thus even higher profits......wouldn't put it past them.

Obviously (again) the Titan-X and the Quadro cards all have more VRAM, and in that respect, I don't see any 1000-series cards exceeding.  The 1080Ti (if/when) we get specs, may offer 12GB, or even possibly 16GB.  We won't know until later.  And some AIB may make 1000-series cards with additional memory.  They've done it before.....

Such additional features are pure speculation at this point, but are based on prior releases and how they progressed (Kepler, Maxwell) but it'll be at least a month before we get any hard info on Iray performance.

So until we do, let's just agree that it could go either way.  smiley

No, not tired at all.  At least not yet.  wink  I'd just rather not drive away all the others with our going back and forth about our differences of opinion and how we interpret things.  Nor do I want Richard to have to come in moderate us.....

("No Dad!  He started it!"  "No he did!"  "No, She did!")

*gets ready to run and hide from the mods*

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    MEC4D said:

I checked the link you posted and they have ok prices so you can have very good and fast iray rig for au $3002.95 / us 2282.24  with 1 card without monitor , with second card it will be around au $3600 / us 2736

and you will be as fast as me in my iray spin video from last year as that was closer to what I had last year

if you go for one card then you can get much cheaper by reducing the memory, CPU and space and even PSU .

Angelreaper, I'm in Oz and I got my local pc place to source and build my computer. I spoke to them about what I wanted to use it for and the litle bit I know and understand about it all. It gives me some confidence that they sourced the X99A motherboard and i75960X that Mec4D mentioned. It's a hyperthreaded 8 core I think. The board is maxed out with 64gb Ram (8 x 8gb). The processor has a cooling system with 2 fans and a radiator in the top of the box. There are also 2 fans in the front of the box and one at the back and room for more. It has a 250gb SSD for the system and 2 mirrored 1tb SATA6 HDD's. The power supply is 850W and it came with a 27" 1080p HD display. They built that for $4000. I was going to put a titan in it for around $1700 more when the 1080 thing happened so I have the funds to get a 1080, just holding off until everything is sorted and I know what I'm getting. If it costs as much as $1300 installed I'll be up for $5300 altogether. By comparison to what I've been working with it's magic! I'm hoping it's going to have enough capacity to allow me to continue learning at a much faster rate for a fair while. At some point it would be nice to add a second GPU and upgrade the power supply if necessary. There's room to add more drives when required. For what I could afford it seems pretty good to me. I can't wait to start using iray with a GPU.

just wondering this is the build they are offering you but you haven't decided yet and still deciding? you ever hear of mwave?https://www.mwave.com.au/tools/pc-custom-build-diy  was looking at the pro workstation   they have a lot of different types of pcs can customize lots of options probably too much at least for one like me who knows nothing about these things probably put something together probably blow up they have the new gtx 1070 cards but not the gtx 1080s but they have titans, hey do you know what powersupply we can go up to here with standard type plug like is 850w our highest without having to get an electrician to convert? know 1500w is out you reckon same with 1200w and 1000w?  Those other two picked was due to fact they sounded the best builds and easiest custom options  could get away with with the most but costly still though, but may be real good deal next month if they do the christmas in july thing oh btw mwave has 4k moniters really cheap starting $549

I watched those videos blew me away how fast your renders were, well those other two builds chronos and battlbox were around 8-$10,000 + area so from this other site and from what you say that is one hell of a massive saving which of course also means I can then afford to beef it up more how much guess really depends on the 850w power supply not sure if I can go to 1000-1050-1200w upgrades as said before on those 1500w not possible to use. Ok if went one titan would that be good enough for anything and everything? and if these 1080s turn out to be really good or 1080ti everyone is hinting at could I combine that with the titan or would it counter against titan and better having two titans? Ok so this build wanna be able to have the options to do anything with it be it daz/iraying, 3d creation, video, photo editing, and yeah if I want to high end gaming. Don't want to be restricted in what can do. So need a lot of hard drive space how many drives can I have how many ssd should have, for ssd drive largest is 1tb go for and the hdd 4tb how many of each? do not want to run out of space and I can and will fill up hard drives easily.  I7 6900k or I7 6950k? thought 2 x 32gb ripjaws that would make it a 64gbsystem? going for bluray writer. Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Cooler or Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler  only $6 difference know you all say water ones often want zero maintence both sound good. Corsair Obsidian 750D Air Flow Edition Full Tower Case this case sounds looks real good lots of fans and airflow and large. In motherboard the first one listed sounds arr may not be that great but 2 and 3 ASUS ROG STRIX X99 Gaming Intel LGA 2011-3 ATX Motherboard and MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-3 RGB Motherboard sound good but #2 the Strix sounds like has lot more usb ports which is handy and $200 cheaper. In W10 home or pro and dvd or usb guess that part don't matter. Oh and adding  High Performance CPU Thermal Compound Application, Card Keeper Model CK08-1225 - Video Card Holder and  CPU Cooler Upgrade Service ('Does not include CPU cooler Unit) as well as extra packaging for transport

all this with 2 ssd 4 hdd 2 titans motherboard option 2+ top wireless still works out under $10,000 with one titan just under $8,300 so all in all cheaper than the battlbox slightly more than chronos both with 2 1080s does the titan handle 4k stuff well? I read 1080 is really good for 4k so if go one titan then later when it's all fixed add 1080 for 4k if needed or wait and add 1080ti for 4k stuff?

and what I listed am able to have in a build with a 850w power supply? like said 1500w no go but don't know about the 1000, 1050 or 1200w 

I think you getting too high with the 850W .. X99A Godlike use 12 pin CPU power supply  and the processors are power hungry too , I think it is better for you to wait for the 1080 and then decide on the rest of the system , you pick good stuff but cost a lot too . You don't need that all for just 1 card or 2 it is more for 3 or 4 cards as I am using .  If you want 2 cards in the future it is best to have it from the same mother . I purchased first 1 Titan X SC then later second one , and this year one more as my rig grow so I added more and better stuff at lower price , so make plan what you really want in the future, 2 cards and one for monitor or 1 for rendering and one for monitor , you can have best speed for half the price you mentioned and you don't need Godlike as it cost us $600 and you don't go to run 4 cards due to the power , you can go with Asus X99 Deluxe 3.1/USB what is very good too and you can run 3 cards , CPU you need 40 lanes for more than 2 cards , 26 lanes CPU is good for max 2 cards , I have older 26 lanes CPU but had troubles with 3 cards and had to shut down USB and some Sata ports so it was not exactly what I want , I also have i7820K what have 40 lanes but only 4 cores and then i74790K with 16 lanes but was great with 2 cards as my early mother board had chip to support extra lanes .

one more month and we know exactly if 1080 are worth the purchase , if I build  new rig  and have nothing else I would wait , Titan X or 1080 both works fine with 4K , both works the same with video editions and other stuff the question only is iray if it is not fast as it should be, you know what to do and can build your system around the card of your choice , if you want gaming with your power issue you better wait for 1080 other way you will need to go with the 1000W to support all this stuff you want especially if you want run 2 cards and 8 core CPU and play games . Then first thing you need to choice the right case for best air flow as you will need good one , the Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler is very good , I used before but you can go with smaller radiator like 240mm what is enough for 8 core CPU as you don't going to over clock your CPU and how more we talk how more confused it will be , so let wait if you can  and then you can decide and build your super rig that you will have long pleasure with for a long time

MEC4D said:

I checked the link you posted and they have ok prices so you can have very good and fast iray rig for au $3002.95 / us 2282.24  with 1 card without monitor , with second card it will be around au $3600 / us 2736

and you will be as fast as me in my iray spin video from last year as that was closer to what I had last year

if you go for one card then you can get much cheaper by reducing the memory, CPU and space and even PSU .

Angelreaper, I'm in Oz and I got my local pc place to source and build my computer. I spoke to them about what I wanted to use it for and the litle bit I know and understand about it all. It gives me some confidence that they sourced the X99A motherboard and i75960X that Mec4D mentioned. It's a hyperthreaded 8 core I think. The board is maxed out with 64gb Ram (8 x 8gb). The processor has a cooling system with 2 fans and a radiator in the top of the box. There are also 2 fans in the front of the box and one at the back and room for more. It has a 250gb SSD for the system and 2 mirrored 1tb SATA6 HDD's. The power supply is 850W and it came with a 27" 1080p HD display. They built that for $4000. I was going to put a titan in it for around $1700 more when the 1080 thing happened so I have the funds to get a 1080, just holding off until everything is sorted and I know what I'm getting. If it costs as much as $1300 installed I'll be up for $5300 altogether. By comparison to what I've been working with it's magic! I'm hoping it's going to have enough capacity to allow me to continue learning at a much faster rate for a fair while. At some point it would be nice to add a second GPU and upgrade the power supply if necessary. There's room to add more drives when required. For what I could afford it seems pretty good to me. I can't wait to start using iray with a GPU.

just wondering this is the build they are offering you but you haven't decided yet and still deciding? you ever hear of mwave?https://www.mwave.com.au/tools/pc-custom-build-diy  was looking at the pro workstation   they have a lot of different types of pcs can customize lots of options probably too much at least for one like me who knows nothing about these things probably put something together probably blow up they have the new gtx 1070 cards but not the gtx 1080s but they have titans, hey do you know what powersupply we can go up to here with standard type plug like is 850w our highest without having to get an electrician to convert? know 1500w is out you reckon same with 1200w and 1000w?  Those other two picked was due to fact they sounded the best builds and easiest custom options  could get away with with the most but costly still though, but may be real good deal next month if they do the christmas in july thing oh btw mwave has 4k moniters really cheap starting $549

I watched those videos blew me away how fast your renders were, well those other two builds chronos and battlbox were around 8-$10,000 + area so from this other site and from what you say that is one hell of a massive saving which of course also means I can then afford to beef it up more how much guess really depends on the 850w power supply not sure if I can go to 1000-1050-1200w upgrades as said before on those 1500w not possible to use. Ok if went one titan would that be good enough for anything and everything? and if these 1080s turn out to be really good or 1080ti everyone is hinting at could I combine that with the titan or would it counter against titan and better having two titans? Ok so this build wanna be able to have the options to do anything with it be it daz/iraying, 3d creation, video, photo editing, and yeah if I want to high end gaming. Don't want to be restricted in what can do. So need a lot of hard drive space how many drives can I have how many ssd should have, for ssd drive largest is 1tb go for and the hdd 4tb how many of each? do not want to run out of space and I can and will fill up hard drives easily.  I7 6900k or I7 6950k? thought 2 x 32gb ripjaws that would make it a 64gbsystem? going for bluray writer. Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Cooler or Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler  only $6 difference know you all say water ones often want zero maintence both sound good. Corsair Obsidian 750D Air Flow Edition Full Tower Case this case sounds looks real good lots of fans and airflow and large. In motherboard the first one listed sounds arr may not be that great but 2 and 3 ASUS ROG STRIX X99 Gaming Intel LGA 2011-3 ATX Motherboard and MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-3 RGB Motherboard sound good but #2 the Strix sounds like has lot more usb ports which is handy and $200 cheaper. In W10 home or pro and dvd or usb guess that part don't matter. Oh and adding  High Performance CPU Thermal Compound Application, Card Keeper Model CK08-1225 - Video Card Holder and  CPU Cooler Upgrade Service ('Does not include CPU cooler Unit) as well as extra packaging for transport

all this with 2 ssd 4 hdd 2 titans motherboard option 2+ top wireless still works out under $10,000 with one titan just under $8,300 so all in all cheaper than the battlbox slightly more than chronos both with 2 1080s does the titan handle 4k stuff well? I read 1080 is really good for 4k so if go one titan then later when it's all fixed add 1080 for 4k if needed or wait and add 1080ti for 4k stuff?

and what I listed am able to have in a build with a 850w power supply? like said 1500w no go but don't know about the 1000, 1050 or 1200w 

MEC4D said:

I think you getting too high with the 850W .. X99A Godlike use 12 pin CPU power supply  and the processors are power hungry too , I think it is better for you to wait for the 1080 and then decide on the rest of the system , you pick good stuff but cost a lot too . You don't need that all for just 1 card or 2 it is more for 3 or 4 cards as I am using .  If you want 2 cards in the future it is best to have it from the same mother . I purchased first 1 Titan X SC then later second one , and this year one more as my rig grow so I added more and better stuff at lower price , so make plan what you really want in the future, 2 cards and one for monitor or 1 for rendering and one for monitor , you can have best speed for half the price you mentioned and you don't need Godlike as it cost us $600 and you don't go to run 4 cards due to the power , you can go with Asus X99 Deluxe 3.1/USB what is very good too and you can run 3 cards , CPU you need 40 lanes for more than 2 cards , 26 lanes CPU is good for max 2 cards , I have older 26 lanes CPU but had troubles with 3 cards and had to shut down USB and some Sata ports so it was not exactly what I want , I also have i7820K what have 40 lanes but only 4 cores and then i74790K with 16 lanes but was great with 2 cards as my early mother board had chip to support extra lanes .

one more month and we know exactly if 1080 are worth the purchase , if I build  new rig  and have nothing else I would wait , Titan X or 1080 both works fine with 4K , both works the same with video editions and other stuff the question only is iray if it is not fast as it should be, you know what to do and can build your system around the card of your choice , if you want gaming with your power issue you better wait for 1080 other way you will need to go with the 1000W to support all this stuff you want especially if you want run 2 cards and 8 core CPU and play games . Then first thing you need to choice the right case for best air flow as you will need good one , the Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler is very good , I used before but you can go with smaller radiator like 240mm what is enough for 8 core CPU as you don't going to over clock your CPU and how more we talk how more confused it will be , so let wait if you can  and then you can decide and build your super rig that you will have long pleasure with for a long time

MEC4D said:

k thanks yes can wait bit longer just don't wanna limit myself and regret wasting money and thinking if spent little more could done better and vice versa this build is a one off never have this money again to get something good so it's gotta be something that'll last years and I'll never be able to replace it for anything anywhere as good it is a lot of money I still love the origin models I looked at and yeah maybe am overkilling shows how much I know and understand which is very little but at least I've learned a lot of models in our stores mostly harvey norman being our best are pretty poor admittly if didn't have a choice would probably buy from best think or at least dearest hp envy at $4000 with gtx 960a. There few local computer stores one has a graphic workstation with i5 and gt750 for $1500 -my laptop hasi7 and gtx 850m so thats a downgrade, their best computer is a gamer with i7 6700 SRock Z170-Pro4 ATX Motherboard, NZXT Kraken X61 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler and gtx 970 for $3000 on sale, then there's that predator could rent think will be $200 month for 3 years, Dells alienware ours different to us versions but they have bad rep with customer service and I did try to buy it too before talking to you and others but everytime went to checkout got a blank white screen in way lucky after seeing 1500w not an option for me. We did have sounded like a really good computer guy Taspro in my town was going to check out did some nice custom builds his website his biggest cards are 980ti and 980ti gold editions but he moved interstate which is pity would have liked to sat down with the guy and talked it out. This last place well seems to be cheapest and still have titans and they have the 1070s but not the 1080s but why go 70s 1080s better but as you and others said we do not know of the iray benifits yet but if they turn out good well the benifits may outweigh what it has less of compared to titan BUT I read some reviews of this site not all glowing yeah lots of good ones but I like to read the negatives gives an idea how good really are. And back to origin yes more expensive but they do do good builds and are really well built put together and they do have great service and apperently over service even after warrenty run out and how they ship and pack gotta be best out there. They no longer seem to offer titans best card offering is 2x gtx 1080s though think on the millenium and genesis models they offer 4x gtx 980ti but can't afford those models why picked their battlbox version (nice massive case)and chronos pro - that's their pc marked as a graphics workstation with 2 gtx 1080s and maxed out everything else  choice of cases wasn't sure which better, cp also had more powerful cards in 1 and 2x quadro k6000 but these are way to much 1=$6843 and 2= $13686 And like said origin does have great reviews and I've looked for negatives can't really find any except about price still you do get good value for money they also have monthly deals offering discounts, bonus freebies or free upgrades on parts Yeah I'd still consider them even though cost more and didn't offer as much as the other on the grounds of their reputation, delivery and service-if you buy warrenty anything wrong they ship you crate and packaging and return post to-from all free of charge as well as free replacement parts during warrenty, and their reviews and how well built their systems are I'd be willing to pay that for that and even after ran out they still offer services though locally could get a fix for $100 not counting replacement parts of course

Next month is July and here in Australia we have this thing called Christmas in July and a lot of stores have huge sales on all kinds of things with heavily discounts on stuff and or bonuses offered so who knows may be something really good hopefully

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153

Furryball GPU renderer added support for the GTX 10XX cards, they also have there own build in benchmark . Since i have a GTX 1070, ran it on my own system.

Benchmark result total ratio 1.14

A GTX titan is the refrence card. Not sure if this gives any indication of the iray performance but it is fun to do/see ;).

http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/benchmark?cards[]=NVIDIA%20GeForce%20GTX%201070&score=1.14244

jerham said:

Furryball GPU renderer added support for the GTX 10XX cards, they also have there own build in benchmark . Since i have a GTX 1070, ran it on my own system.

A GTX titan is the refrence card. Not sure if this gives any indication of the iray performance but it is fun to do/see ;).

http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/benchmark?cards[]=NVIDIA%20GeForce%20GTX%201070&score=1.14244

I'd view those numbers with suspicion, as the 1080 scores below the regular titan (0.85), and we know the 1080 has more cores and higher base clock than the 1070.

edited June 2016

Total BS ,

Plus the scores does not indicate if the cards are super clocked or stock cards and if my 1 x Titan X score is higher  than 3 x Titan X score then it is clear ... stay away from that benchmark app , not to mention it show total different results each time I run the benchmark

jerham said:

Post edited by MEC4D on

Interested in real GPU benchmarks ? check this out https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2016

GTX 1080 Iray? yae, nay, still in the works? no word yet?

I presume that goes for the GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 as well.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited July 2016

GTX 1080 Iray? yae, nay, still in the works? no word yet?

I presume that goes for the GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 as well.

Still in the works.  They said it would be ready supposedly around SIGGRAPH, which is at the end of the month (July 24-28).  Then expect a few bug-fixes within a few weeks after that.

It applies to ALL the 1000 series (the Pascal-based cards).

Post edited by hphoenix on
    edited July 2016

Finally got my new card , this time new and original sealed Titan X Hybrid , surprising huge difference in iray than with 3 cards only ,  the GPU scaling is great also reduced the clock speed to 1277Mhz for all cards to match as 2 of them are at 1277Mhz and 2 at 1377Mhz nice and cool when idle 23C using 9 Watts and on full load 37C using 160Watts while rendering so total 640Watts for 4 cards 

also found out that when you use speed under Optimization the Optix need to be set Off , when using memory the Optix need to be On  , the scaling is much better using this combinations.

also rendering small scenes with over 12000 cuda cores make no difference if I use 3 or 4 cards but the real boost is with bigger scenes or complex volumetric materials 

My dream rig is done ! time for some test animation 

2016-07-12 (1).png
    773 x 260 - 92K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217
    MEC4D said:

Finally got my new card , this time new and original sealed Titan X Hybrid , surprising huge difference in iray than with 3 cards only ,  the GPU scaling is great also reduced the clock speed to 1277Mhz for all cards to match as 2 of them are at 1277Mhz and 2 at 1377Mhz nice and cool when idle 23C using 9 Watts and on full load 37C using 160Watts while rendering so total 640Watts for 4 cards 

also found out that when you use speed under Optimization the Optix need to be set Off , when using memory the Optix need to be On  , the scaling is much better using this combinations.

also rendering small scenes with over 12000 cuda cores make no difference if I use 3 or 4 cards but the real boost is with bigger scenes or complex volumetric materials 

When you get bored and pick up four Titan P's in a few months time, i'll swap you my first born for that glorious rig. Oh and I don't have a first born yet, so i'll need a heads up :)

LOL thanks , but not going for Titan P , to have above 12000 cuda cores  I will need 4 Titan P and 1600Watts will be not enough for 4 Titan P + my CPU , only for that and CPU I need 1640Watts and where the power for the rest of the system that is more than double as I am using  now , not efficient for me  , I am waiting next 2 years until better stuff come out with more cudas and less power consumption in total less cards

Titan X are the last card that can be run in 4 way and be energy efficient and I am not going to settle for less Cudas , right now I set my msec to ZERO under DRAW it is fantastic , made some tests preview of the performance and putting together to show you . Stonemason sets flying around like a cube lol

MEC4D said:

When you get bored and pick up four Titan P's in a few months time, i'll swap you my first born for that glorious rig. Oh and I don't have a first born yet, so i'll need a heads up :)

MEC4D said:

LOL thanks , but not going for Titan P , to have above 12000 cuda cores  I will need 4 Titan P and 1600Watts will be not enough for 4 Titan P + my CPU , only for that and CPU I need 1640Watts and where the power for the rest of the system that is more than double as I am using  now , not efficient for me  , I am waiting next 2 years until better stuff come out with more cudas and less power consumption in total less cards

Titan X are the last card that can be run in 4 way and be energy efficient and I am not going to settle for less Cudas , right now I set my msec to ZERO under DRAW it is fantastic , made some tests preview of the performance and putting together to show you . Stonemason sets flying around like a cube lol

MEC4D said:

So you're sticking with the Titan x's? I have a Titan x and was looking to get another but i thought the new 1080's might perform better. I suppose i'll probably just pick up another Titan x if that's the case. My Cpu needs an upgrade soon though, i'm running an FX8350 and it's starting to show its age now. It might even be worth swapping to intel at this point since i haven't seen anything exiting come from amd for a while.

May i ask - Do you get your titans new or second hand/refurbished? I live in the UK and we get awful rates on new cards, not quite as bad as australia, but still poor. Each new Titan x costs me around £1000. I can pick them up much cheaper second hand but i've never used second hand kit before ... should it be trusted?

edited July 2016

I go with Titan X Hybrids as I had already 2 of them so I keep the 12GB VRAM intact for that reason I added 2 more , If I add slower card it will slower performance of my card and if I add faster my other cards will slow it down so you should keep the cards the same for best GPU scaling . 1080 will be not faster as my cards as I don't run stock Titan X , my boost clock is 1377Mhz  and can be easy set to 1500Mhz but I keep it at lower core speed not need more actually with 4 cards as the render are almost instant so I am all good .

My cards are new and with 3 years warranty , I pay for the last one $1000 including tax and shipping water cooled Hybrid too the retails is around $1500 so it was good deal .

It is hard to trust the sellers as I purchased last week for half price and was fake Hybrid but I got refund and purchased new one sealed after , so you never know until you open the box , make sure your purchase is protected just in case .

BTW here is Performance test I just made this evening , the bigger scenes performed better and faster

check the video below

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

So you're sticking with the Titan x's? I have a Titan x and was looking to get another but i thought the new 1080's might perform better. I suppose i'll probably just pick up another Titan x if that's the case. My Cpu needs an upgrade soon though, i'm running an FX8350 and it's starting to show its age now. It might even be worth swapping to intel at this point since i haven't seen anything exiting come from amd for a while.

May i ask - Do you get your titans new or second hand/refurbished? I live in the UK and we get awful rates on new cards, not quite as bad as australia, but still poor. Each new Titan x costs me around £1000. I can pick them up much cheaper second hand but i've never used second hand kit before ... should it be trusted?

Post edited by MEC4D on
    MEC4D said:

Not just the 980Ti cards.  970's, 960's are also on huge discounts.  970 SSC w/ACX2.0+ is $250 with a $30 MIR.  The Plain 970 ACX 2.0 is $230 with a $30 MIR.  The plain 960 Gaming is $140 with a $20 MIR.  The 960 SSC ACX2.0+ is $170 with a $20 MIR.

That's as low as $120 for a 960 GTX, and as low as $200 for a 970 GTX.

Around 30% - 40% off.....direct from the manufacturer.  And the few b-stock they have are pretty well priced too.  The 970 SSC is only $200 from eVGA b-stock.

Yeah! I know  

hphoenix said:
    MEC4D said:

Not just the 980Ti cards.  970's, 960's are also on huge discounts.  970 SSC w/ACX2.0+ is $250 with a $30 MIR.  The Plain 970 ACX 2.0 is $230 with a $30 MIR.  The plain 960 Gaming is $140 with a $20 MIR.  The 960 SSC ACX2.0+ is $170 with a $20 MIR.

That's as low as $120 for a 960 GTX, and as low as $200 for a 970 GTX.

Around 30% - 40% off.....direct from the manufacturer.  And the few b-stock they have are pretty well priced too.  The 970 SSC is only $200 from eVGA b-stock.

• MEC4D

I want to marry your computer heart

sorry we are very much in love at THIS moment  heart lol 

MEC4D

I want to marry your computer heart

after reading that the images that popped into my head

I'm just curious what's so great about Quadro M5000 saw a build with one card very expensive but looking at the specs the new gtx 1080 has more of everything and is way cheaper

I'm just curious what's so great about Quadro M5000 saw a build with one card very expensive but looking at the specs the new gtx 1080 has more of everything and is way cheaper

It's quite a controversial topic, but you'll often get different answers depending on where you ask anyway. Some say gaming cards are gimped, some say it's more focused driver solutions, and some say the quadro range are just more geared for straight up compute operations. I've never owned, nor needed to own a pro-grade card since the benefits aren't really clear.

The official company line is - Workstation cards are optimized for for specific purposes, such as CAD and physics simulations, But under the hood, they're not much different. The flipside to this is that workstation cards do not perform very well in terms of gaming, which obviously isn't a problem if these things are racked and used for farm processing. In my opinion, the price just isn't justified.

edited July 2016

Here are GPUs and CPU usage while rendering image sequences using just 4 GPUs, as you see CPU 8 cores are used as well even if not selected under rendering setting , only when using 4 GPUs 

GPUs use only around 180W downclocked to 1277Mhz stock speed 1377Mhz , temp around 37C

CPU use around 100W slightly overclocked to 3.7 Ghz stock max speed 3.5Mhz

not too bad at all , I am only very much surprised by the CPU core usage as other programs running iray don't use more than 4 cores with 4 GPUs but also are less fast than iray in DS .

The system fans are quiet not hearing fans at all and the air is not even warm behind radiators 

photoreal mode usage iray mec4d 2016 4 x titanx hybrid.jpg
    1448 x 1080 - 651K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2016

Chip manufacturers opperate a binning process.

Intel as an example will select wafers (silicon) and decide if each section is suitable for an i3, i7 or a xeon. If it is an i3, then all the unused cores/sections will be disabled. The better they are the higher the processor they are set asside for; it is a way for them to cut down on wastage.

Nvidia will do likewise; the lower ones are 1060 material, and the higher will be 1080 - or whatever.

Post edited by nicstt on

Quadro M6 have the same chip as Titan X and run at much slower core clock so I don;t see it this way , all people that use quadro card are very disapointed as for rendering there is nothing better about than gtx , for deep learnung and other stuff yes , card run slower living longer and for us there is nothing that will improve our workflow than simple gtx , we are not in the sector for need any of the quadro  it is waste of money

nicstt said:

Chip manufacturers opperate a binning process.

Intel as an example will select wafers (silicon) and decide if each section is suitable for an i3, i7 or a xeon. If it is an i3, then all the unused cores/sections will be disabled. The better they are the higher the processor they are set asside for; it is a way for them to cut down on wastage.

Nvidia will do likewise; the lower ones are 1067 material, and the higher will be 1080 - or whatever.

so it's more of a bragging name type thing than anything another plus for the 1080 then, even though said wouldn't really be gaming there are some coming out after many years been a fan of so that's change things for me the main thing still my art but these games I'm interested in and by the time I get around to ordering this computer got all this month for this deal looking at it wont arrive till August which by then we'll have the drivers for iray the 1080s may not have as many cores as titans but still nothing to really complain about and it does have other things going for it. Seen a few workstations, so called professional  pcs built for video, photo, cad, 3d creation not as many as gaming machines of course which offer more, but these so call professional high end machines are pretty unimpressive with very low end cards for the most part my laptop has a better card than most of them and better in other areas admittedly I don't really know much of anything and if I hadn't taken my time looking researching and following these threads here too I probably would have been easily talked into buying or renting something from our local stores a waste of money pc and again would've had to settle for that too if hadn't been left some money which is allowed me to get something decent that will I really hope will last me many years

1080 stock card is not worthy purchase for iray , you need to go with faster version to begin with and better cooling than the stock card or you reduce the GPU life-spam very quick, but 2 more weeks and we see how it perform in iray  , and what for games is for games total different thing , if you want to invest for something good for iray wait for Titan P , more memory, more cuda cores faster rendering and definitely great workstation card that will be fast in any programs and games . 

more of a bragging name type thing than anything another plus for the 1080 then, even though said wouldn't really be gaming there are some coming out after many years been a fan of so that's change things for me the main thing still my art but these games I'm interested in and by the time I get around to ordering this computer got all this month for this deal looking at it wont arrive till August which by then we'll have the drivers for iray the 1080s may not have as many cores as titans but still nothing to really complain about and it does have other things going for it. Seen a few workstations, so called professional  pcs built for video, photo, cad, 3d creation not as many as gaming machines of course which offer more, but these so call professional high end machines are pretty unimpressive with very low end cards for the most part my laptop has a better card than most of them and better in other areas admittedly I don't really know much of anything and if I hadn't taken my time looking researching and following these threads here too I probably would have been easily talked into buying or renting something from our local stores a waste of money pc and again would've had to settle for that too if hadn't been left some money which is allowed me to get something decent that will I really hope will last me many years

edited July 2016

The today Nvidia new display driver 368.81 improved a lot the GPU scaling while rendering in iray , I left the setting as default under Nvidia Panel , the CPU usage is now max 55% with iray still 8 cores less Power usage and lower temp while GPU rendering, very nice and stable GPU scaling with multiple GPUs , I guess the new driver addition they made to the VR helping a lot some how , rendering also much faster now than this morning , very smooth frame by frame .

I wonder if 1080 working in iray with this new driver 

better gpu scaling.jpg
    1251 x 996 - 804K
    Post edited by Chohole on