GTX 1080 Iray support?

Comments

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,335
    edited July 2016

On a related note:

Otoy included some basic support for Pascal cards with the OR standalone 3.03.2 version released today:

Experimental Pascal GPU support

We could narrow down the issue using the CUDA 8 RC toolkit and were able to work around it by doing a mixed CUDA 7.5/8 build for Pascal GPUs. For previous architectures we still use CUDA 7.5 only. This is all experimental and we haven't done any specific Pascal tweaks/optimizations yet and the performance isn't where we would expect it to be, but at least you can use your Pascal GPUs now.

Source:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55274

Update / Edit:

In the meantime the OctaneRender for DAZ Studio plugin also has been updated to version 3.03.2

- Benchmark results have not yet been released

They may be on hold until the final version of the Cuda 8 tool kit was released...

- - -

It seems Nvidia wants to play it more safe and release support for Pascal cards in Iray once all the performance issues are sorted out.

Still it may be a relieve for those who did allready buy Pascal cards that they can allready use the card for some basic experimental rendering while still not at full performance.

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

so as I said before it is not just a driver that will run the cards, since the display driver have already everything it need  , the programs need to be adjusted , Nvidia programmers stated that it can be done using cuda 7.5 as well since it is internal calculated process but will be not optimal so not really news at all , DAZ programmers can do that too , but I guess they wait for the final Cuda 8 tool kit and Optix 4

and talking about Optix , my Optix working again since yesterday and make rendering faster in iray after upgrading the new display driver , also my mother board got additional VR app function yesterday that speed up the viewport in iray unexpected so even animation preview can be played in realtime in iray viewport and photoreal mode for the first time since interactive mode got screwed with the VRAM usage

On a related note:

Otoy included some basic support for Pascal cards with the OR standalone 3.03.2 version released today:

Experimental Pascal GPU support

We could narrow down the issue using the CUDA 8 RC toolkit and were able to work around it by doing a mixed CUDA 7.5/8 build for Pascal GPUs. For previous architectures we still use CUDA 7.5 only. This is all experimental and we haven't done any specific Pascal tweaks/optimizations yet and the performance isn't where we would expect it to be, but at least you can use your Pascal GPUs now.

Source:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55274

- The OctaneRender for DAZ Studio plugin is at the time of writting at version OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 3.03.1

So no Pascal support yet for the DS plugin

- Benchmark results have not yet been released

They may be on hold until the final version of the Cuda 8 tool kit was released...

- - -

It seems Nvidia wants to play it more safe and release support for Pascal cards in Iray once all the performance issues are sorted out.

Still it may be a relieve for those who did allready buy Pascal cards that they can allready use the card for some basic experimental rendering while still not at full performance.

- - -

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Thanks for the heads up about the new drivers :)

I'm tempted to jump on the 980Ti deals from EVGA. At this point, one GTX 1080 is almost $1k in Canada.

fake edit: Okay, it's ridiculously cheap, so I think I'm going to jump in and hurt my pocketbook LOL. Should I get the Hybrid at 1140 MHz or the 1190 MHz Classified on air?

edited July 2016

The Hybrid run much faster with boost than the specification an 37C while rendering so still space for OC , it depends of your case, if you have space in your case 120mm fan to attach it then go for it , Classified will run double warmer while rendering  so if you have mid case not really good , the air cooled cards love side fans then they perform great  with that and better than just with front fans in your case.

Personally Hybrids are my favorite , you can attach the 120mm radiator in place of the CPU back fan or on top the case if you have space, never on the floor of the case however one of my 4 radiators is lower than the GPU and perform fantastic as the rest 

edit : the radiator and cooling on 980ti Hybrid cost $99 so the deal for the card is really super , plus you will not worry about the temperatures while rendering anymore 

I just finished 1-5 hour rendering of animation tests and it was nice 37C at max without stressing out about overheating or damaging the GPU since rendering keep constantly the temp at higher level than games do . You should get 2 and render like pro lol 

mtl1 said:

Thanks for the heads up about the new drivers :)

I'm tempted to jump on the 980Ti deals from EVGA. At this point, one GTX 1080 is almost $1k in Canada.

fake edit: Okay, it's ridiculously cheap, so I think I'm going to jump in and hurt my pocketbook LOL. Should I get the Hybrid at 1140 MHz or the 1190 MHz Classified on air?

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • MEC4D said:

I wonder if 1080 working in iray with this new driver 

I'm curious to know this myself.  My local Best Buy just got in some 1080's... 

I was not really serious about that.

now we need the iray engine updates to support it but it is not yet there .. simple display driver can't do that even if it is already optimal

MEC4D said:

I'm curious to know this myself.  My local Best Buy just got in some 1080's... 

Crap. I just looked at the PSU requirements on it. Wow. 500W supply? And if I get two... :s Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

edited July 2016

My 4 Titan X Hybrid use only 680W while rendering  , If you have around 650W to 850W PSU you good with 2 of them , if you play games 850W minimum for 2

mtl1 said:

Crap. I just looked at the PSU requirements on it. Wow. 500W supply? And if I get two... :s Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    MEC4D said:

The today Nvidia new display driver 368.81 improved a lot the GPU scaling while rendering in iray , I left the setting as default under Nvidia Panel , the CPU usage is now max 55% with iray still 8 cores less Power usage and lower temp while GPU rendering, very nice and stable GPU scaling with multiple GPUs , I guess the new driver addition they made to the VR helping a lot some how , rendering also much faster now than this morning , very smooth frame by frame .

Thanks for posting ths Cath, was wondering if the new drivers were good. Time I upgraded as mine are from last year. :)

MEC4D said:

My 4 Titan X Hybrid use only 680W while rendering  , If you have around 650W to 850W PSU you good with 2 of them , if you play games 850W minimum for 2

mtl1 said:

I'm currently running a 430W supply with a 960 and an undervolted 4790k. I suppose I'll have to upgrade either way...

yeah!  430W with 2 cards not really recomended  you will be on the edge and risk damage to the system 

mtl1 said:
    MEC4D said:

mtl1 said:

I'm currently running a 430W supply with a 960 and an undervolted 4790k. I suppose I'll have to upgrade either way...

Well, here's a bit of a downer: the rebate for Canadians is $50 *CAD*, which means that we're getting hosed by about 30% from the rebate price...

Then again, the 1080 is *still* about $1000 and I'll definitely be getting more rendering power than the 1080 with two 980 Tis.

Ugh, decisions, decisions.

That's for sure , I would not thinking twice ! 

mtl1 said:

Well, here's a bit of a downer: the rebate for Canadians is $50 *CAD*, which means that we're getting hosed by about 30% from the rebate price...

Then again, the 1080 is *still* about $1000 and I'll definitely be getting more rendering power than the 1080 with two 980 Tis.

Ugh, decisions, decisions.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

well the build I was eyeing of with 32gb ram water cooled heaps of hard drive space with a bonus free 2tb sshd and 2 1080s comes to around $9082, so not sure if could afford a titan p with a decent build guessing that be pretty pricy here then there's the power supply thing btw looking at a parts site the 1080 founders edition cards are cheaper than the 3rd party ones now fe going for $1149, others are $1249, $1299, $1399 and #1499

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382

I'll stick with my 780ti. I'd love to install a second card but I have no idea what that entails

• Magic ManMagic Man Posts: 35

Got a 1080 myself and waiting the iRay support to come. Just had me thinking if I could pop the previous GTX670 back in there as a second card to help with CUDA processing in the meantime. Got a 750W Seasonic PSU so should be plenty.

No don't do it, you wil slow down 1080 to half the speed of GTX670 , iray will use the slower card at 100% and the other at 50+ so you get little faster than 670 only but you can have the same result if you used 2 x 670 , use the 670 as monitor only and 1080 for rendering when the time come , and I hope you did not got the founder edition as they are slower and run hotter than the one from other manufactures . 

With your PSU you can do it easy 

Magic Man said:

Got a 1080 myself and waiting the iRay support to come. Just had me thinking if I could pop the previous GTX670 back in there as a second card to help with CUDA processing in the meantime. Got a 750W Seasonic PSU so should be plenty.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

so the gtx 1070/80s are only 2 sli and just reading about the newest card in the series the 1060 (has more cores than the 960- 1280vs1020) and from what I've read so far this one does not support sli at all sooo wonder if that' ll be the same for the titan p? ok 1080 owners have any of you seen any updates yet? that big computer event is happening any day ain't it? so maybe iray driver update will be any day now too looking forward to hearing from all of you when you get it anyway here's a link to a review on the 1060 was reading has few spec pages

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1060_founders_edition_review#.V4-hM7i7ikp

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

so the gtx 1070/80s are only 2 sli and just reading about the newest card in the series the 1060 (has more cores than the 960- 1280vs1020) and from what I've read so far this one does not support sli at all sooo wonder if that' ll be the same for the titan p? ok 1080 owners have any of you seen any updates yet? that big computer event is happening any day ain't it? so maybe iray driver update will be any day now too looking forward to hearing from all of you when you get it anyway here's a link to a review on the 1060 was reading has few spec pages

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1060_founders_edition_review#.V4-hM7i7ikp

SIGGRAPH 2016 is still 4 days away and lasts for 5 days (7/24 - 7/28) so expect an update sometime next week....whether the update is them saying "it's ready" or them saying "we're still working on it" is anybody's guess.....

I don't think so as nobody said anything yet .. so sorry for you guys , I could not take it so easy

BTW I like the 1060 little thing , especially the half size ..  it is nice card for low budget users  especially the amount of VRAM , a perfect card for monitor or for those that have small PC with low PSU or still render with CPU in iray

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

A Nvidia Titan X on ebay from someone looking to upgrade to VR is a better buy than a GTX 1080 for Iray. I should cualify this remark by saying that if the price is right. No more than $700 for a

Madbat said:

I'll stick with my 780ti. I'd love to install a second card but I have no idea what that entails

Yeah, I have 3x 780's 6gb editions and a Intel i7 6 core doing Iray renders and they work grea, but without enough ram and a large enough powersupply this won't work. I have 64gigs of ram and a 1000watt powersupply. I may get a 1060 when they get Iray to work in Daz Studio with the 1060 cards but with my system I'm in no rush. Just purchased a $38 dollar Xeon 8 cores with 16 threads in ebay. Wow, for forty bucks my new extra system is really quick in non Iray renders. I'm thinking of keeping my primary system with my 780's and just adding Nvidia 1070's to they extra system when the price comes down. I think once VR starts pushing Video Card Manufactures to create faster cards we will see the older stuff go down in price rapidly. Look what happen with the Titan X. I saw one sell for under $500 on ebay and was tempted, but my 780's are good enough for now.

For the used stock Titan X you  should pay no more than $500-$600 , all depends how much warranty is still left and how long it was used and if the bio are original and not flashed , I got new Titan X Hydro for $1000 all sealed with 3 years warranty and free express shipping , so the base card cost me around $850 when you take away cooling off so still fantastic deal as they getting hard to get and new one are so overprices  , Hydro are faster than 1080 and have 4 gb more vram

A Nvidia Titan X on ebay from someone looking to upgrade to VR is a better buy than a GTX 1080 for Iray. I should cualify this remark by saying that if the price is right. No more than $700 for a

Madbat said:

Yeah, I have 3x 780's 6gb editions and a Intel i7 6 core doing Iray renders and they work grea, but without enough ram and a large enough powersupply this won't work. I have 64gigs of ram and a 1000watt powersupply. I may get a 1060 when they get Iray to work in Daz Studio with the 1060 cards but with my system I'm in no rush. Just purchased a $38 dollar Xeon 8 cores with 16 threads in ebay. Wow, for forty bucks my new extra system is really quick in non Iray renders. I'm thinking of keeping my primary system with my 780's and just adding Nvidia 1070's to they extra system when the price comes down. I think once VR starts pushing Video Card Manufactures to create faster cards we will see the older stuff go down in price rapidly. Look what happen with the Titan X. I saw one sell for under $500 on ebay and was tempted, but my 780's are good enough for now.

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66
    MEC4D said:

BTW I like the 1060 little thing , especially the half size ..  it is nice card for low budget users  especially the amount of VRAM , a perfect card for monitor ...

Thanks for all your hands on insight into multi-gpu setups MEC4D.  I have two GTX 970s and am mostly happy (for now) with the Iray performance, and I'm still on DS 4.8.  However, I'd like to add a third card just to drive the display.  Do you actually have 5 cards in your system, with one to just drive your display?  The other queston is for normal OpenGL viewport mode, how much VRAM is needed for large, like Stonemason, models?  Is a 2GB card sufficient?  Aside from the soon to be available 1060, what else do you recommend.  Cheers!

Before I have 3 x Titans X and 1 x 760 with 2GB for monitor then replaced it with $70 GT 730 4GB as I need more vram for Photoshop  and other stuff  

so the 2GB card was ok in iray for the Open GL , but as I said you can buy $70 card that have 4GB and any kind , not need to be from Nvidia to run your monitor or OpenGL in DS , the only negative part of the cheaper card is they use a lot of power the GT 730 4GB use 300W more than Titan X while gaming , for that reason decided to get 4th card and have less power usage and additional boost , but mostly I use 2 x Titan X in DS and just 4 when rendering huge scenes or animations,  for regular work or building scenes,  2 of them are working just perfect for me .

If you wait for the 1060 to working with iray it will boost your performance when you need it and for now use it for monitor and all other programs , having additional card for monitor will free the needed vram from the card you need for iray

garyh.pub said:
    MEC4D said:

BTW I like the 1060 little thing , especially the half size ..  it is nice card for low budget users  especially the amount of VRAM , a perfect card for monitor ...

Thanks for all your hands on insight into multi-gpu setups MEC4D.  I have two GTX 970s and am mostly happy (for now) with the Iray performance, and I'm still on DS 4.8.  However, I'd like to add a third card just to drive the display.  Do you actually have 5 cards in your system, with one to just drive your display?  The other queston is for normal OpenGL viewport mode, how much VRAM is needed for large, like Stonemason, models?  Is a 2GB card sufficient?  Aside from the soon to be available 1060, what else do you recommend.  Cheers!

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66
    edited July 2016

Thanks, that's helpful.   BTW, did you see the announcement of the new NVIDIA Titan X card?  It's available Aug 2nd and is based on the GP102 chip.  11 TFLOPs vs the GTX Titan X's 6.6 TFLOPs.  http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

Post edited by GaryH on

Yes but I would not want it for the price , I would prefer 2 x 1080 and have 60% for free extra power for the same price   The new Titan X have no much room for improvement and I assume it will run even hotter in rendering than old stock Titan X  when I see the difference between the clock and boost it says all .. My cards can run at the same clock speed and cool too and less power usage .. and the extra cuda cores will make not difference if you use multiple cards in iray as a lot computing power will be lost due to GPU scaling , for 1 or 2 yes but that is .. so for me is a big NO , I am disappointed with this release  , but I will be ready in next 2 years to snap something better again .. hopefully 

garyh.pub said:

Thanks, that's helpful.   BTW, did you see the announcement of the new NVIDIA Titan X card?  It's available Aug 2nd and is based on the GP102 chip.  11 TFLOPs vs the GTX Titan X's 6.6 TFLOPs.  http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

• I actually HAVE to buy a new video card in the next week or so for a new system that can only take one card. I am wondering if it's worth it to buy the 1060 or 1070 (either of which I can afford -- the 1080 is a bit pricey for what it seems to offer) in hopes that it will soon support Iray, or just get one of the existing cards that on sale right now. I have to admit, I'm leaning toward the latter, but I just haven't decided. If you guys were going to spend $400-$500 on a video card, what would you get?

Any word on the exact date that nvidia will finally have the Iray fix available?

definitely go for 1070  but this depends of what you already have , you need it for monitor only go with 1060 , you want to boost your iray speed go for 1070 , simple 

I actually HAVE to buy a new video card in the next week or so for a new system that can only take one card. I am wondering if it's worth it to buy the 1060 or 1070 (either of which I can afford -- the 1080 is a bit pricey for what it seems to offer) in hopes that it will soon support Iray, or just get one of the existing cards that on sale right now. I have to admit, I'm leaning toward the latter, but I just haven't decided. If you guys were going to spend $400-$500 on a video card, what would you get?

Any word on the exact date that nvidia will finally have the Iray fix available?

• Well according to this post in Nvidia blog Iray 2016.2 SDK already has support for Pascal.

https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk

New Iray 2016.2 SDK

Building on NVIDIA Iray SDK 2016.1’s introduction of industry standard lenses and spherical lenses and stereo for VR panoramas, the latest release (2016.2) continues to push VR to the next level. Iray now provides one-step creation of stereo panoramas and the ability to stream stereo to a device. Sending jobs to a Quadro VCA or DGX-1 will soon enable the creation of Iray VR immersions for inspecting scenes from any perspective.

What’s new in Iray 2016.2

• Support for NVIDIA Pascal generation GPUs.
    • Stereo output from a single render
    • Support of X-Rite’s AxF 1.3 format (for measured materials)
    • Create Iray VR by sending jobs to Quadro VCA or DGX-1 (no additional setup required)

Sample 4K Iray VR output

Learn more on NVIDIA Iray and VR

For more information on NVIDIA Iray plug-ins and VR developments, check out the following:

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well according to this post in Nvidia blog Iray 2016.2 SDK already has support for Pascal.

https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk

New Iray 2016.2 SDK

Building on NVIDIA Iray SDK 2016.1’s introduction of industry standard lenses and spherical lenses and stereo for VR panoramas, the latest release (2016.2) continues to push VR to the next level. Iray now provides one-step creation of stereo panoramas and the ability to stream stereo to a device. Sending jobs to a Quadro VCA or DGX-1 will soon enable the creation of Iray VR immersions for inspecting scenes from any perspective.

What’s new in Iray 2016.2

• Support for NVIDIA Pascal generation GPUs.
    • Stereo output from a single render
    • Support of X-Rite’s AxF 1.3 format (for measured materials)
    • Create Iray VR by sending jobs to Quadro VCA or DGX-1 (no additional setup required)

Sample 4K Iray VR output

Learn more on NVIDIA Iray and VR

For more information on NVIDIA Iray plug-ins and VR developments, check out the following:

That must be the SDK they will be using to upgrade DAZ Studio with.