Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,141

This is looking wonderful already! I'm really looking forward to your creations being moved over to DS (can I put in a word for the Garden Maze?)

Strange but true: I actually bought Carrara 8.5 Pro just so I could buy and use your back catalog! I got a freebie copy of an old version of Carrara and your Secret Lake on a magazine cover disk almost six years ago and I loved the Secret Lake so much that I started buying more, but discovered some of them needed a newer version of Carrara. Unfortunately I find it pretty hard to use and have never got to grips with it, except to load existing scenes like yours (even Bryce seems easier). So although it will cost me double, I'm probably a customer-in-waiting for these DS transfers.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    edited June 2016

A little more tweaking of shaders to go but nearly there with both 3Delight and Iray. Comparison below.

3delight-v-iray.jpg
    1600 x 1040 - 875K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    MelanieL said:

This is looking wonderful already! I'm really looking forward to your creations being moved over to DS (can I put in a word for the Garden Maze?)

Strange but true: I actually bought Carrara 8.5 Pro just so I could buy and use your back catalog! I got a freebie copy of an old version of Carrara and your Secret Lake on a magazine cover disk almost six years ago and I loved the Secret Lake so much that I started buying more, but discovered some of them needed a newer version of Carrara. Unfortunately I find it pretty hard to use and have never got to grips with it, except to load existing scenes like yours (even Bryce seems easier). So although it will cost me double, I'm probably a customer-in-waiting for these DS transfers.

I don't think I'll do many straight conversions - some of those scenes are pretty old now. Maybe "inspired by" would be a better description.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,141

Yep, well the Harpwood County one looks pretty "inspired" to me (by any definition of that word laugh)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

REALLY snazzy, and I love how very close the 3dl/Iray versions are. You really need to squint.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

REALLY snazzy, and I love how very close the 3dl/Iray versions are. You really need to squint.

I agree, I would say the iRay version looks very slightly better, but the difference is minimal. Of course if you put some people/vehicles on the road, the differences maybe easier to spot.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This looks like a wonderful product. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it finished and in the store! :)

If you need anyone to help do some test renders, feel free to count me in. I've done some product testing and test renders lately and have found it to be quite fun. I render in Iray mostly but would be happy to test in both 3Delight and Iray if needed. 

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

Well this tops my list and the savings have started since Urban Sprawl 3 did a number on my coin jar! Looking forward to this and your other inspired works updated with iray!

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574

If you want some ideas for future things...:)

I would love a nice meadow, mostly grasses but with some wildflowers scattered around. But, at the edge, some woods of some sort that would appear to lead to a very different place.

You have done some gorgeous river/lake scenes...these are always welcome. 

I like the modern wooded, country road, but a nice path suitable for a horse trail or conventional hiking trail would be good (is there a way to make the same basic scene vary for the width of the trail?) There was a beautiful scene in the tudors (or was it game of thrones) that I would love to see in 3d. They were in a carriage or maybe on horseback.

A clearing suitable for a cabin of some kind. Whether you provide the cabin or there is a spot for it would be, of course, up to you:)

A messy, old fashioned garden suitable for an herbalist or a country home. 

Formal garden, (you already made at least one of these). I like the japaenese gardens, but a nice imperial style formal garden would be nice too. 

• Mine has always been set to "speed", too, so this is good to know! Glad to hear you got it sorted. Looking forward to the product.

M. 

I've looked a bit deeper into it and found the "Instancing Optimization" render option. I had it set to "Speed" instead of "Memory" and this means all the geometry is "flattened" at render time so instead of holding each object in memory only once it holds the geometry of each and every instance - which would equal many, many billions of polys in this scene.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

At one point you needed to set it to speed or the render would hang or crash. But I think that's no longer true, so other approaches might make more sense. Among other things, it seems likely that conserving memory when close to the GPU > CPU failout might be a good idea.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    MelanieL said:

I don't think I'll do many straight conversions - some of those scenes are pretty old now. Maybe "inspired by" would be a better description.

Howie -- are you planning on DS analogues for Maple Meadows and the Hedge Maze? Maple Meadows is the only set I've ever found that looks like the Champlain Valley of where I live, so obviously I NEED it. Also I am a labyrinth [and Labyrinth :p ] fiend, so I also NEED a hedge maze.

I'm looking forward to pretty much any of your forest/meadow/outdoor sets coming over to DS, though!

--MW

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

Hmm, I'm thinking there may be no Iray version of these landscapes. It simply can't handle the numbers of instances - 3Delight sails through with less than 2Gb memory usage when rendering - Iray zooms to 20Gb and Studio crashes lol

Anyone else have the thought when they read this that that would have been such delicious irony?  haha

• Hmm, I'm thinking there may be no Iray version of these landscapes. It simply can't handle the numbers of instances - 3Delight sails through with less than 2Gb memory usage when rendering - Iray zooms to 20Gb and Studio crashes lol

Well I have the Country Lane super bundle and the Secret Lake bundle plus I'm itching to get the Stoney Creek bundle and Forest Drive. I don't bother with iray in DAZ since I use either LuxRender from the Reality plug-in or I use 3Dlight. So far I would have to render your art in Carrara and use the image as a background in DAZ or a background layer in Photoshop. If something goes around the bend or hidden by a tree in the foreground, I need to separate your image into three renders. I use shadow catcher with 3Dlight. My plan is putting a live person in your art. Any of these items to be transferred by you to DAZ?

Hmm, I'm thinking there may be no Iray version of these landscapes. It simply can't handle the numbers of instances - 3Delight sails through with less than 2Gb memory usage when rendering - Iray zooms to 20Gb and Studio crashes lol

Well I have the Country Lane super bundle and the Secret Lake bundle plus I'm itching to get the Stoney Creek bundle and Forest Drive. I don't bother with iray in DAZ since I use either LuxRender from the Reality plug-in or I use 3Dlight. So far I would have to render your art in Carrara and use the image as a background in DAZ or a background layer in Photoshop. If something goes around the bend or hidden by a tree in the foreground, I need to separate your image into three renders. I use shadow catcher with 3Dlight. My plan is putting a live person in your art. Any of these items to be transferred by you to DAZ?

I did manage to make Iray work in the end so I hope you read past that comment :)

Also I don't think there will be many/any direct conversions of my Carrara scenes to Studio. They are now quite old and I would prefer to make newer and better scenes, possibly inspired by my older products.

My Harpwood County scene for DAZ Studio is going through QA at the moment so hopefully in store very soon.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Howie - good to see you alive and kicking and being so productive!  I was pointed here by TangoAlpha and I really have no interest in DS scenes (sorry)!  I have pretty much everything you have done in Carrara, and it is still my 3D program of choice, but I can see why you would want to tap into the DS market.  When making my own scenes, such as the English Village, I was always asking myself "What would Howie do about this?" so thanks for the inspiration. And good luck with this new line, I will be watching with interest!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

No iray version would be a disappointment. Any idea why this is happening?

Well I had a good sleep and woke up thinking that I must have missed something simple.

I've looked a bit deeper into it and found the "Instancing Optimization" render option. I had it set to "Speed" instead of "Memory" and this means all the geometry is "flattened" at render time so instead of holding each object in memory only once it holds the geometry of each and every instance - which would equal many, many billions of polys in this scene.

So one little render setting is the difference between "Yeah I'll happily render that" and "I'll steal all the memories until Studio dies".

The following render I stopped after after 10 minutes, but it shows Iray will work... phew. Haven't done anything much other than straight "select shaders -> convert to uber iray" so not indicative of final product. DS memory usuage was only 1.89GB during the render.

TL:DR Set Instance Optimization to "Memory"... winning.

It might be a good idea to add that information to the Readme - there are people who read Readme's, really!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2016

Great news... Zoweee!  Tweak Howie... tweak. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    Kerya said:

No iray version would be a disappointment. Any idea why this is happening?

Well I had a good sleep and woke up thinking that I must have missed something simple.

So one little render setting is the difference between "Yeah I'll happily render that" and "I'll steal all the memories until Studio dies".

The following render I stopped after after 10 minutes, but it shows Iray will work... phew. Haven't done anything much other than straight "select shaders -> convert to uber iray" so not indicative of final product. DS memory usuage was only 1.89GB during the render.

TL:DR Set Instance Optimization to "Memory"... winning.

It might be a good idea to add that information to the Readme - there are people who read Readme's, really!

Already done :)

edited July 2016

A quick Iray render to show the completed product.

Also, for those interested, this scene was built utilising a scatter script I developed that is going to be available in the store. Thread over in the commercial products forum: UltraScatter - advanced instancing for Daz Studio

camera_pos_3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 773K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574

wow!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I've been wanting to buy quite a few things from Howie at DAZ for about 3 months now. :-)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

In the cart, and soon enough, in the runtime.

• What a perfect place to get lost.
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Is it possible to work with just one half of the set, as to use the way as a forest border?

Is it possible to work with just one half of the set, as to use the way as a forest border?

Not at this stage unfortunately. But that is something I'll keep in mind for future scenes.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

This went in the shopping cart so fast it left scorch marks on my browser!

I will eagerly await further developments.

Cheers,

Alex.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800

In the wishlist. enough purchased this month. Will be in my cart next month :)  . Looking foreward to more environments.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

I just bought it this morning I look forawrd to making some renders with it :)