Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• edited December 1969

Paris_K - 15 October 2012 08:37 AM

um…. i dont think so, as im not sure what you mean by point to? lol, sorry

When you open up Poser, there should be an icon like this in the library:

http://screencast.com/t/vLv3lFagjSfe

Click on that icon (a folder with a + and a person on it), and add the DS directory that you installed Genesis Starter Essentials TRX.

According to the User Guide wiki, Poser needs that directory, and the directory that you installed Genesis Starter Essentials Poser to, added to the Poser library. Poser’s got to know where to find stuff, too! :D

i tried the icon pointed it to my library in documents/daz3d/studio, no change still invisable

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks, no the view port move fine with rotations and everything so it have nothing to do with open gl , it was all good before the last installation , in the last 14 years that is the slowest poser view port ever ,, but only if I use genesis , changing the view mode to anything else will not change the fact that it is drag , moving hand from one point to another take 4-5 sec even if the resolution is on zero , but when I move with the camera everything run fast as usual so i guess it is the genesis issue only while posing , when I bend with the sliders it getting much faster . Usual I use wire-frame but not when I posing , it is not big deal I can live with it I am easy going

Nightsong said:
    Mec4D said:
    that is a good trick .. I will check out if this work for me with poserpro2012

legolie said:
    I had the problem of the library freeze with Poser Pro and it's due to the preferences : go to the preferences, tab "library", one must check "External" and not "Embedded".
    That way the library is floating, I don't like it but at leat it no longer freezes ...

Think positively! Now you can Alt-Tab back and forth between your library and Poser, and you have even more screen space for the preview window!!! :D

If you really miss having your library always visible, there's an option in the External Library that says "Always on Top" that you can check, too.

http://screencast.com/t/x0aCffaCi3r

Got a question, though. I haven't been having the slowdown problems, but then I primarily build in Lit Wireframe display mode. Does fiddling with your display settings help the slowdowns at all?

edited December 1969

you should point to documents/daz3d/studio/my library/runtime

and you will see the new Runtime after in Poser, I made mine My Library

Paris_K said:

Paris_K - 15 October 2012 08:37 AM

um…. i dont think so, as im not sure what you mean by point to? lol, sorry

When you open up Poser, there should be an icon like this in the library:

http://screencast.com/t/vLv3lFagjSfe

Click on that icon (a folder with a + and a person on it), and add the DS directory that you installed Genesis Starter Essentials TRX.

According to the User Guide wiki, Poser needs that directory, and the directory that you installed Genesis Starter Essentials Poser to, added to the Poser library. Poser’s got to know where to find stuff, too! :D

i tried the icon pointed it to my library in documents/daz3d/studio, no change still invisable

edited October 2012

that why a lot made mistake I made mistake myself when I do it for the first time a long time ago , it confuse me at first .. but I removed it
    I do content for Daz Studio so nobody use the studio4 folder anymore as it is out the range of the data and if you put anything there it will not works .. DS3 have the same path as now Ds4.0 and DS.4.5 just STUDIO :)

RAMWolff said:
    Cath is right. When DAZ Studio 4 hit the market last year DAZ was making a folder in My Documents> DAZ 3D called Studio4 and then made on called just Studio. I think they are not using the Studio4 folder any longer. A few merchants are still catching up with this but DAZ3D is installing only to Studio, not Studio4 so forget about that. All I did was grab all the useful content from the Studio4 folder and drag and dropped it into the Studio folder and deleted the Studio4 folder to keep from getting myself confused. So if anyone is installing these Poser files to the Studio4 folder.... I don't think it's going to fly right. Don't know for sure but just forget that older setup. Just use this path: ...\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    that why a lot made mistake I made mistake myself when I do it for the first time a long time ago , it confuse me at first .. but I removed it
    I do content for Daz Studio so nobody use the studio4 folder anymore as it is out the range of the data and if you put anything there it will not works .. DS3 have the same path as now Ds4.0 and DS.4.5 just STUDIO :)

RAMWolff said:
    Cath is right. When DAZ Studio 4 hit the market last year DAZ was making a folder in My Documents> DAZ 3D called Studio4 and then made on called just Studio. I think they are not using the Studio4 folder any longer. A few merchants are still catching up with this but DAZ3D is installing only to Studio, not Studio4 so forget about that. All I did was grab all the useful content from the Studio4 folder and drag and dropped it into the Studio folder and deleted the Studio4 folder to keep from getting myself confused. So if anyone is installing these Poser files to the Studio4 folder.... I don't think it's going to fly right. Don't know for sure but just forget that older setup. Just use this path: ...\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library

Yup, me too. No "Content" folders left. Just "My Library" in the Studio folder! Everything works as it should!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,711
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    a mac version of this might be handy.

Yea, I know. :) Currently I don't have the equipment to create Mac programs though, unfortunately.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Ok. Did the procedure we talked about this morning and at least the morphs are showing up in the body. But I'm still having the same issue of the morphs not doing anything when dialed. The only thing I've noticed is that if the morphs have to do with scale then Genesis changes shape but in scale only. For example, the body child morph only succeeds in reducing the size of genesis to the proportions of a child. When I dial the M5 morph, Genesis' scale morphs to M5's size and that's it. When were the files last updated? I downloaded my files late Friday afternoon eastern time...

David

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2012

I never had DS on my current machine, so my path for the Daz library for my Genesis stuff is this:

C:/Users/Roger Bowen/My Documents/DAZ

It worked for me, I added that to the PP2012 library and it was all plain sailing after that.

DSON is all you install into PP2012.

Has a lack of clarity in the DSON guide been at fault, or have people not bothered to read it!?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Oh I've read it. And to me it's clear as mud.

David

edited October 2012

You're not wrong, it did take me a morning to work it out, I got so engrossed I forgot I was supposed to be going out and had missed my bus!

Not having installed the core files did cause a bit of head scratching! I'm NOT going to be amused if that sale does end today as DSON was rather sprung on me and I hadn't budgeted for any Genesis content.

I'm getting V5 first so I'll see how much she bemuses me. Do you not also need to have the Genesis Evolution morphs installed?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Do you not also need to have the Genesis Evolution morphs installed?

CHEERS!

Of that I'm not sure. I had assumed that since I have M3, M4, M5 and V3, V4 already installed that they would work. Apparently not. All that happens is the scale changes. Do I need to have the evolution morphs???

David

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

The Studio folder has always contained the My Library fokder for content - the Studio 4 folder is the default location for the render library.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Thanks, no the view port move fine with rotations and everything so it have nothing to do with open gl , it was all good before the last installation , in the last 14 years that is the slowest poser view port ever ,, but only if I use genesis , changing the view mode to anything else will not change the fact that it is drag , moving hand from one point to another take 4-5 sec even if the resolution is on zero , but when I move with the camera everything run fast as usual so i guess it is the genesis issue only while posing , when I bend with the sliders it getting much faster . Usual I use wire-frame but not when I posing , it is not big deal I can live with it I am easy going

Nightsong said:
    Mec4D said:

legolie said:
    I had the problem of the library freeze with Poser Pro and it's due to the preferences : go to the preferences, tab "library", one must check "External" and not "Embedded".
    That way the library is floating, I don't like it but at leat it no longer freezes ...

Think positively! Now you can Alt-Tab back and forth between your library and Poser, and you have even more screen space for the preview window!!! :D

If you really miss having your library always visible, there's an option in the External Library that says "Always on Top" that you can check, too.

Got a question, though. I haven't been having the slowdown problems, but then I primarily build in Lit Wireframe display mode. Does fiddling with your display settings help the slowdowns at all?Could you try setting Sub-D to -1 while you are posing or moving around the viewport. And set it to a higher level when you are ready to render. This might improve your experience.

edited December 1969

I'm still not understanding why the morphs arent working. They worked in Studio...

David

edited December 1969

the problem is that most people read the read me installation after they installed , I checked it out in case to see if I did good , and the read me documentation was confused and not straight to the point., I did not had any issues with as I made DS content to often knowing where go what .
    It is not restricted where you install the Core and the starter kit as long the directory is writable and both are in the same main folder
    but if you want that your DS content work with that you need to install it in the same My Library as the DS genesis content you own
    and if still not working then I have no idea what are you doing , it would be also recommend to clean the cache from the previews stuff that was not working
    you can find it under Documents/ Daz 3D/studio/My Library / Runtime / DSON that is where the all obj generated by DSON go when you load stuff for the first time in Poser and you reload them next time you add something to the scene

edited October 2012

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Of that I'm not sure. I had assumed that since I have M3, M4, M5 and V3, V4 already installed that they would work. Apparently not. All that happens is the scale changes. Do I need to have the evolution morphs???

David

Mmm, the specs for M5 don't say anything about them.

This is what he comes with:

Michael 5 Full Body Morph
    Michael 5 Head Morph
    Michael 5 Heroic Additive Morph
    Michael 5 Smooth Additive Morph
    Michael 5 Custom UV Set

And you say that moving the slider doesn't change anything. Hmm, odd...

Best check your installation paths. M5 shouldn't be in your Poser Runtime.

CHEERS!

edited October 2012

Paris_K said:

If you go to documents/daz3d/studio/My Library/Data/DAZ 3D/Genesis\Base in the file browser (Winbdows Explorer or Mac Finder) do you a file called Genesis or Genesis.dsf?

Edited to correct path, thanks to GRFK DSGN Unlimited

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

it is not open gl issue I can spin 19. million poly without issue , the problem is while posing genesis and only anything else works just fine ..each time you change pose a new obj is generated and it seems like that is the issue as it is to slow , it was the same before in DS 4.0 everyone was thinking what is going on with graphic cards but that was internal issue .and genesis so it may be the same , no big deal actually .. I just mentioned that just in case

quote author="BTLProductions" date="1350324356"]

Mec4D said:

Nightsong said:
    Mec4D said:

legolie said:

Got a question, though. I haven't been having the slowdown problems, but then I primarily build in Lit Wireframe display mode. Does fiddling with your display settings help the slowdowns at all?

Could you try setting Sub-D to -1 while you are posing or moving around the viewport. And set it to a higher level when you are ready to render. This might improve your experience.
    edited December 1969

And I've cleaned that several times and still the morphs do not work.

My content is installed here:

C:\Users\dthoward64\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

The DSON importer is installed here:

I:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 9

The runtime that DSON uses to do it's "auto-adapt" stuff is:

I:\Runtime

My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit, My Poser 9 is 32-bit so therefore I downloaded and installed the 32-bit version.

So why is this not working?

David

edited December 1969

Paris_K said:

If you go to documents/daz3d/studio/My Library/Data?DAZ 3D/Genesis in the file browser (Winbdows Explorer or Mac Finder) do you a file called Genesis or Genesis.dsf?

Mine is located in C:\users\dthoward64\documents\daz3d\studio\My Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\base\

David

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

David

Mmm, the specs for M5 don't say anything about them.

This is what he comes with:

Michael 5 Full Body Morph
    Michael 5 Head Morph
    Michael 5 Heroic Additive Morph
    Michael 5 Smooth Additive Morph
    Michael 5 Custom UV Set

And you say that moving the slider doesn't change anything. Hmm, odd...

Best check your installation paths. M5 shouldn't be in your Poser Runtime.

CHEERS!

He's not. He's in my Studio content folder. The full body morph is what shows up in the morph dials of Poser under "actor".

David

edited December 1969

Paris_K said:

If you go to documents/daz3d/studio/My Library/Data?DAZ 3D/Genesis in the file browser (Winbdows Explorer or Mac Finder) do you a file called Genesis or Genesis.dsf?

Mine is located in C:\users\dthoward64\documents\daz3d\studio\My Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\base\

David

Thanks, fixed my post.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

And I've cleaned that several times and still the morphs do not work.

My content is installed here:

C:\Users\dthoward64\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

The DSON importer is installed here:

I:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 9

The runtime that DSON uses to do it's "auto-adapt" stuff is:

I:\Runtime

My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit, My Poser 9 is 32-bit so therefore I downloaded and installed the 32-bit version.

So why is this not working?

David

1) I think the root of the "I" drive is going to be a mess. Probably I:\GenesisPoser would be a better plce to put your companion files. The runtime would reside inside of that rather than the root of your drive.
    2) Did you add the I: drive to poser? That's where your runtime is now.
    3) Since you have your companion files and your genesis content in two places, maybe try adding the "My Library" into poser (you wouldn't pull content from it, but maybe Poser doesn't know where to find the actual genesis content.

edited October 2012

Could this bit be causing problems!?:

"The runtime that DSON uses to do it’s “auto-adapt” stuff is:

I:\Runtime"

Shouldn't that be the same as where it's installed!?

My DSON is installed in C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\

and my Genesis is here:

C:\Users\Roger Bowen\My Documents\DAZ

Using the Add Library button, I added the above library into PP2012 and DSON worked.

edited December 1969

Nope not it. All runtimes are mapped in Poser. Poser is able to bring in Genesis fine. Although it keeps asking me for the location of the DSON generated OBJ everytime I load Genesis into a scene.

David

edited December 1969

C:\Users\dthoward64\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime

that where your runtime should be as you have DS installed there with all the content and not what you wrote
    and that is the issue the core need to go into Runtime , if this is out of the My Library it will not works

edited October 2012

Nope not it. All runtimes are mapped in Poser. Poser is able to bring in Genesis fine. Although it keeps asking me for the location of the DSON generated OBJ everytime I load Genesis into a scene.

David

Well, if there wasn't a problem then it wouldn't ask that question. I'd consider uninstalling everything and then put it back but paying attention to the install paths.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    C:\Users\dthoward64\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime

that where your runtime should be as you have DS installed there with all the content and not what you wrote
    and that is the issue the core need to go into Runtime , if this is out of the My Library it will not works

No, content should be installed to the folder that holds the Runtime folder rather than to the Runtime folder itself - otherwise you'll end upo with Runtime\Runtime in your path.

edited December 1969

because you installed it wrong , how many time I type already where the content should go in your case and not in separate Runtimes you create conflict and that may the the issue of wrong installation from your part

instillation go into My Library and the plugin only go into Poser if you keep it this way you are good
    you need to do that as your all DS content is already pre installed like m5 or V5 and u need to follow the path

copy the runtime and put it into DAZ3D/studio/My Library and should all works just fine

David

edited October 2012

No, content should be installed to the folder that holds the Runtime folder rather than to the Runtime folder itself - otherwise you'll end upo with Runtime\Runtime in your path.

Yeah, that was sort of what I did.

I think the complications have come about because the instructions for DSON were geared towards those of us that didn't have DS.

DS users following that would have been confused.

CHEERS!

This discussion has been closed.