Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

ken1171 said:
    digitell said:
    ken1171 said:
    ken1171 said:
    I have installed the plugin in PP2012 SR-3.1 x64, and the Python scripts work without errors, but Genesis and all contents loaded from that runtime leave me with an empty scene. Poser claims the figure has been loaded and the name shows at the top, but I see no figure. I have installed the "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser", adding it as an external runtime in Poser. I have also installed the DS package. I don't get any errors when I load Genesis (or anything else from that runtime), but there is nothing on the scene.

I have followed the tutorials by the book, but I suspect this has something to do with *where* I have to install the "starter essential" files. The Poser version was installed at an external runtime, and then linked to Poser.

I need some help here.

What is the path to the external runtime?

I had this problem too last night...I found that my problem what there are 2 "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser" files to install and I had only installed 1 of them. Not sure if this is your problem or not but I am thinking it may be..
    So there are actually 3 files you need to install into Poser..the Importer itself and 2 "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser" files.
    Hope this helps you!!

Genesis Starter Essential for Poser --> L:\DSON\Runtime\
    Poser Pro 2012 --> L:\Poser Pro 2012\
    My main runtime --> L:\Poser 7\Runtime\

I have figured it out! I actually installed both packages, so that was not what went wrong in my case. What happened was that I was installing (as you can see from my post above) the packages for Poser and DS at different folders, and now I understand they BOTH must be installed in the SAME folder, so that the runtime directories in both coincide in place. By doing this and THEN adding the runtime folder to Poser Pro 2012, NOW things work as expected.

I wish such things would be mentioned in the installation instructions, so that I could get this right on the 1st try. What set me off course was that one of the companion installs was meant for DS4, so I assumed it must be installed where DS4 resides, which is NOT the case if we want this to work.

Wow, I am exhausted now. Have been trying to fix this since last night and went to bed really late.

But the fun begins NOW! :D COOL A ROO!! :)

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

I have instaled the Poser plugin but when I went to install the Genesis Starter Essentials the default it came up with was the install into my Daz Studio Library.

Will installing this version in my Daz Studio Library break anything in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro? Should I create a new library for Poser to use?

Do I need to install the Genesis Starter Essentails if I already have Daz Studio 4.5 Pro?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,714
    edited December 1969

I have instaled the Poser plugin but when I went to install the Genesis Starter Essentials the default it came up with was the install into my Daz Studio Library.

Will installing this version in my Daz Studio Library break anything in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro? Should I create a new library for Poser to use?

Do I need to install the Genesis Starter Essentails if I already have Daz Studio 4.5 Pro?

No, installing it to your DS content library is fine - and saves having duplicate files. I've got both the core and the companion files in my main DS content directory. Since it's a new version of the content I would advise getting it, I'm not sure if using an older version will give problems or not.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited October 2012

ken1171 said:
    I have figured it out! I actually installed both packages, so that was not what went wrong in my case. What happened was that I was installing (as you can see from my post above) the packages for Poser and DS at different folders, and now I understand they BOTH must be installed in the SAME folder, so that the runtime directories in both coincide in place. By doing this and THEN adding the runtime folder to Poser Pro 2012, NOW things work as expected.

When I installed it the installers suggested to install in the DAZStudio/My Library folder, which worked right away, so I guess the trick is just to do as it suggests. Though I don't know if it will work in all cases.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Ok, now that I have this installed, I have the following question:

I unzipped content into a temp folder and I have the following folders:

aniBlocks
    Animals
    Camera Presets
    data
    DAZ Studio Tutorials
    Light Presets
    People
    Props
    Runtime
    Scenes
    Shader Presets

As a Poser user, is there any reason for me to keep any folder NOT labeled Runtime?

Materials - can I go ahead and run Netherworks Batch Material against the Pose folder & get material collections?

I'll have more questions later.

YES, there is a reason to keep those. They are referenced by the Poser companion files.
  • amulackamulack Posts: 11
    edited October 2012

amulack said:
    Hi,

I get already this error message. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

From your screen shot, you're using the German version of Poser. As far as I know, it has SR2 only. DSON importer requires SR3 for Poser.

Thanks, Dimension3D! Yes, it's the German version SR2. Hope SM will update soon.

Post edited by amulack on
  • edited October 2012

ssgbryan said:
    Ok, now that I have this installed, I have the following question:

I unzipped content into a temp folder and I have the following folders:

aniBlocks
    Animals
    Camera Presets
    data
    DAZ Studio Tutorials
    Light Presets
    People
    Props
    Runtime
    Scenes
    Shader Presets

As a Poser user, is there any reason for me to keep any folder NOT labeled Runtime?

Materials - can I go ahead and run Netherworks Batch Material against the Pose folder & get material collections?

I'll have more questions later.

YES, there is a reason to keep those. They are referenced by the Poser companion files.

By now I have installed all those companion files at a separate directory, which is not in my Poser runtime because it includes DS4 files that don't belong there. Since I have DS4 installed here, wouldn't it make sense that those files should be installed THERE instead of duplicating the files that it already contains? I could then link Poser to THAT runtime that already exists in DS4, so that I can ALSO use my existing DS4 contents (assuming they were converted to the proper DUF format).

I read somewhere here in this forum that the new format also works fine with DS4, so shouldn't people who already have both Poser and DS4 installed to install everything on DS4's "My Library" instead of creating duplicates (and wasting precious disk space)?

Post edited by ken_1171_618f9cd0b2 on
    edited December 1969

If I buy the H3, A3, V3 and M3 shapes for Genesis and use the DSON utiltiy inside Poser Pro 2012, will I be able to use their conforming clothes for them in Poser ?

That depends on how you are defining "Their clothing." If you mean can you use V3/A3/H3 clothing on Genesis in Poser, the answer is yes and no. You have to use Autofit in DS and save then follow the docs on preparing a DUF file for Poser.
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    First, Thank you Daz, sorry for all the cr@p I gave you on getting Genesis for Poser.

Now I had a problem now installing, the DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Mac64 went in with no problem. But 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx & 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.1_dpc gets errors:

There has been an error.
    Error running osascript -e "POSIX path of (path to applications folder from user domain)" : 2012-10-12 08:33:58.914 osascript[83021:60b] Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/QXPScriptingAdditions.osax/Contents/MacOS/QXPScriptingAdditions: dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/QXPScriptingAdditions.osax/Contents/MacOS/QXPScriptingAdditions, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
    /Library/ScriptingAdditions/QXPScriptingAdditions.osax/Contents/MacOS/QXPScriptingAdditions: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
    osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/QXPScriptingAdditions.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
    15:59: execution error: Folder does not exist, and you don't have access privileges to create it. (-5000)

Im running on a Mac OS X 10.6.8

ANy one know what to do?

No one? :(

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2012

Whew,

I got it all to work! It took a read through of parts of this thread for me to realise that I hadn't downloaded or installed the core files, but, once I'd done that it was all plain sailing.

I even managed to knock out a quickie render, not much I'll admit, but hey, I've only got the basics right now! So, what am I going to do with Genesis now!? Well, unlike Peter Gabriel, I won't beggar off and leave the drummer to front it, I think I'll get V5 and M5 and use them. I've got Gen 4 anyway so there's no need to do Genesis versions of them.

Not sure when I can pick up the bundles, but I'll be sure to pick some up at some point.

Till then enjoy the render....

CHEERS!

Genesis-Female-1.jpg
    588 x 600 - 21K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • edited October 2012

Everything installed OK, I load up genesis, BUT then I cant access any other libraries, pose props etc

I already tried turning off the subdivison, to no effect

any advice

Post edited by ludus210-manica_3cb56d3397 on
  • GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited December 1969

Darn. It seems I'm the only one who's still having DLL problems. As I asked before, should I try uninstalling previous versions of Visual C++ Redistributable?

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Whew,

I got it all to work! It took a read through of parts of this thread for me to realise that I hadn't downloaded or installed the core files, but, once I'd done that it was all plain sailing.

I even managed to knock out a quickie render, not much I'll admit, but hey, I've only got the basics right now! So, what am I going to do with Genesis now!? Well, unlike Peter Gabriel, I won't beggar off and leave the drummer to front it, I think I'll get V5 and M5 and use them. I've got Gen 4 anyway so there's no need to do Genesis versions of them.

Not sure when I can pick up the bundles, but I'll be sure to pick some up at some point.

Till then enjoy the render....

CHEERS!

Nicely done!

edited December 1969

ken1171 said:
    digitell said:
    ken1171 said:
    ken1171 said:
    I have installed the plugin in PP2012 SR-3.1 x64, and the Python scripts work without errors, but Genesis and all contents loaded from that runtime leave me with an empty scene. Poser claims the figure has been loaded and the name shows at the top, but I see no figure. I have installed the "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser", adding it as an external runtime in Poser. I have also installed the DS package. I don't get any errors when I load Genesis (or anything else from that runtime), but there is nothing on the scene.

I have followed the tutorials by the book, but I suspect this has something to do with *where* I have to install the "starter essential" files. The Poser version was installed at an external runtime, and then linked to Poser.

I need some help here.

What is the path to the external runtime?

I had this problem too last night...I found that my problem what there are 2 "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser" files to install and I had only installed 1 of them. Not sure if this is your problem or not but I am thinking it may be..
    So there are actually 3 files you need to install into Poser..the Importer itself and 2 "Genesis Starter Essential for Poser" files.
    Hope this helps you!!

Genesis Starter Essential for Poser --> L:\DSON\Runtime\
    Poser Pro 2012 --> L:\Poser Pro 2012\
    My main runtime --> L:\Poser 7\Runtime\

I wish such things would be mentioned in the installation instructions, so that I could get this right on the 1st try. What set me off course was that one of the companion installs was meant for DS4, so I assumed it must be installed where DS4 resides, which is NOT the case if we want this to work.

Wow, I am exhausted now. Have been trying to fix this since last night and went to bed really late.

But the fun begins NOW! :DInstalling to different folders is not a problem as long as the folder with the core files has its runtime also mapped to the Poser Library Pallet. :)

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Gregorius said:
    Darn. It seems I'm the only one who's still having DLL problems. As I asked before, should I try uninstalling previous versions of Visual C++ Redistributable?

you are not the only one...i m still having problems in my laptop!!! im not sure if its a daz problem...i think it has something to do with some updates from microsoft...

edited December 1969

Gregorius said:

Are you running Poser 2012 or Poser 9? Poser 2012 is 64bit, and 9 is 32. DSON Importer installers have both versions and are based on the Poser version, not the OS version. So, make sure you match. The same will be for SR3. Make sure you grabbed the right update for your Poser version, not the OS.

If you have answered those questions, forgive me. :) i am playing catchup. The thread was busy overnight.

Kat

• foxyladyfoxylady Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

HELP PLEASE

I did not come to the forums yesterday and I am so far behind on what is going on, it is pathetic. I need to read every post in this thread because there is a lot of great information in here on installing etc.

What I need help on is my cart. Right now, I have the Genesis Starter Bundle, M5 Starter Bundle and V5 Starter Bundle in my cart. Will this be enough to get me started with getting everything working in Poser? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If I wait and read all the posts, the sale will be over and I will still be reading.

Thank you so much Daz. This was great news and I really appreciate the effort that made this possible. This Poser user could not be happier.

• LevanahLevanah Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do you plan n converting the Stephanie 5 Pro bundle in the near future? I would like to get it but need to wait for the update in order to use it. Cheers..Lev

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok.. I ma very sorry,.. I stopped reading about page 12 , but waned to ask, I have poser 9 SR3 installed. I Installed all the content into the poser 9 directory, but trough out reading I read it has to have it's own directory??

Also while opening poser I am getting this error " ERROR: DLL load failed"

I will aslo mention that my poser is installed on different hard drive than my system .

• DeeceyDeecey Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

And the crowd rejoiced!

Couldn't be happier to see this. THANK YOU, DAZ and SM!

edited December 1969

Levanah said:
    Do you plan n converting the Stephanie 5 Pro bundle in the near future? I would like to get it but need to wait for the update in order to use it. Cheers..Lev
    Yes. :)
  • WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

OK. DSON ALL says http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ethnicity-for-genesis-bundle has the DSON in it. So I re-set my download. And, it's not there. So, does this mean some of the items will work and some won't?

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

Gregorius said:

Check this post here and see if it resolves your issue:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/P135/#131070

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited October 2012

OK if you are having installation issues, you could try stepping through this:

1) Have you looked through the installation instructions? If no, please go here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

2) Are you installing to Poser 9? If yes, be sure to install the 32 bit version even on a 64 Bit machine

3) Are you making sure you install to Poser 9 or Poser Pro 2012? If no, please know the importer will only work on these versions

4) Do you have Service Release 3 installed into Poser? If no, before proceeding you will need to download and install it (Please note SR3 may not be available to everyone in all countries yet, so please check for availability)

5) Did you download and install the right installers? You will need to install:

DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win32 - Use this for 64 Bit or 32 Bit Systems running 32 Bit Poser 9 or 32 Bit Poser Pro 2012
    DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64 - Use this ONLY if you are running 64 Bit Poser Pro 2012
    14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx - Install this no matter which Poser or Bit Version you use
    14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc - Also install this no matter which Poser or Bit Version you use

6) Did you install to the application folder? If you use Windows 7 or Vista the content needs to be in a Poser content library outside the program Files/Program Files (x86) folder.

7) Are you getting a DLL error? If so, please see this post: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/P390/#132419

If you have ran into something not on this list, let me know and I'll update it so people know all the variables they can check and if I made a boo boo please let me know as well. :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Gregorius said:

you are not the only one...i m still having problems in my laptop!!! im not sure if its a daz problem...i think it has something to do with some updates from microsoft...

GoFigure found the answer earlier.

For those that are getting these dll load failed errors, but are sure they installed right, I think you may want to install one or both of the following and report if it fixes it for you for the benefit of all:
    - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
    - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523

Since the required files are included in DS, I missed this.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Once again, thanks to all who made this possible. Good to see the screaming and yelling and running around in circles has ended.People are free to like of dislike anything. I myself liked the concept, just couldn't get a handle on the Daz interface.

Since they were on sale for a reasonable price, I broke down and bought the M5/V5 professional bundles. Added to the already purchased items, I should be set for a few hours :). Daz put a lot of work into this project. Hope it finally bears fruit.

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

I took off all my clothes and danced naked around my computer and that didn't help either... dammit!!!

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

I have a question do I need to have DS installed? I did have DS4 advanced installed at one time but no longer do so I have no base Genesis figure to play with once I install this bad boy, girl...um whatevah LOL!!!

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Ok.. I ma very sorry,.. I stopped reading about page 12 , but waned to ask, I have poser 9 SR3 installed. I Installed all the content into the poser 9 directory, but trough out reading I read it has to have it's own directory??

Also while opening poser I am getting this error " ERROR: DLL load failed"

I will aslo mention that my poser is installed on different hard drive than my system .

Make sure you installed the DSON Importer 32bit version, and that you installed it to your Poser installation directory. You should see:

[your directory]\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\Python\addons\dson for example. The content can go anywhere that is a writable directory. Usually not a Windows 7+ "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86) directory, as they have a tendency not to allow writing of certain files. :)

Kat

• edited December 1969

Everything installed OK, I load up genesis, BUT then I cant access any other libraries, pose props etc

I already tried turning off the subdivison, to no effect

am I the only one having this problem

any advice

This discussion has been closed.