DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available

Comments

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    DavidGB said:
    Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn't rocket science. Just basic, for heaven's sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don't just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it's kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don't suppose I'll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I've got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

JUST LIKE LAST BETA INSTALL AND THE ONE BEFORE.

Good thing i don't use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

Crazed. I got the same problem. It appears to be an issue with the Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe that was installed with the 4.5.0 release. Windows reports "...is not a valid Win32 application" when trying to run it directly.

After attempting to run the 4.5.1.6 installer, DAZ studio no longer even appears in the Control Panel list of installed programs (registry now screwed up?). Not possible to uninstall using any standard method that I can see. This is so pathetic and also so typical of DAZ. Before trying anything else, would be useful to find out what others have successfully done to get this to work.

Some additional information. Just information and I don't recommend anyone else do this as I may regret my haste. In any case, I renamed the Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe in Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Uninstallers to Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe.bak and re-ran the 4.5.1.6 installer. It installed. However, since an uninstaller did not run for the previous version, I do not know what impact this may have. I will probably run the uninstall and then re-install before proceeding.

Previous post indicates that this problem was reported during beta testing. If it is the same problem, there is simply no valid excuse for not fixing it prior to the general release of 4.5. Period.

One final bit of information here. This is what I have done:

1. Tried installing 4.5.1.6 but the process fails during the uninstall. Narrowed this down to a problem with Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe in Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Uninstallers. Tried to re-install 4.5.0 but that failed, as well.

2. Renamed Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe to Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe.bak and re-ran the 4.5.1.6 installer. Studio installed but without an uninstall of 4.5.0.

3. Re-ran the 4.5.1.6 installer again. This time the entire install worked without issue.

4. Ran installers for 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe, 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe, DS4_3DBridge_1.2.1.6_Win64.exe, DS4_Decimator_1.3.1.6_Win64.exe, DS4_GoZ_1.2.1.6_Win64.exe, DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64.exe. All of them installed without issue.

5. Ran DAZ studio and verified that 4.5.1.6 is the installed version. It is and everything appears to be in order.

Again, this is for information only. I do not recommend that anyone else experiencing this issue try the same thing. I do not believe this is a system issue. I believe this is an issue with the 4.5.0 installer combined with a problem in with the 4.5.1.6 installer (in that it does not properly account for the issue with the 4.5.0 installer).

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    DS 4.5.1.6 runs in Wine with no problems.

Kendall

Is that with or without the redraw 'fix'?

The redraw fix is a Wine internal problem. Hopefully, it'll be resolved in the update that is supposed to be released today. Also, those not running the latest Wine Dev Releases won't encounter it at all. :-) In this case, the GDI fixes are new and are unneeded for OpenGL based applications. Certain games weren't so lucky.

Kendall

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

kendalsea, ,:blank:

I have no idea to talk about compatibility with so many online games and 3D tools when I talk about one online game and that forum.
    there seems no difference when talk about daz studio and video card

I just want to know I can use newest daz studio by my PC ATI graphic card with driver.
    if I can not, want to know what driver is best. or I must need change the graphic card for new daz studio.
    if I want

actually I could Open GL render (but seldom I use it, so it is not so important for me)
    ,with my ATI graphic card in 4.0.3. I had not changed my graphic card, only updated daz studio and driver.

and daz can announce the compatibility with graphic card, if daz know whati is the true user service.

is there any discribe about compatibility with ATI graphic card ?

Now I become angry about this problem, so I decide my all anger throw to AMD support :vampire:

Technically, your problem is entirely AMD's fault. It's been known for a while that their OpenGL support is not the best.

You can try rolling back the driver to a version that did work for 4.0 (probably two or three versions ago). If you were involved in computer games, you'd find that this a very common issue.

edited December 1969

kendalsea, ,:blank:

I have no idea to talk about compatibility with so many online games and 3D tools when I talk about one online game and that forum.
    there seems no difference when talk about daz studio and video card

I just want to know I can use newest daz studio by my PC ATI graphic card with driver.
    if I can not, want to know what driver is best. or I must need change the graphic card for new daz studio.
    if I want

actually I could Open GL render (but seldom I use it, so it is not so important for me)
    ,with my ATI graphic card in 4.0.3. I had not changed my graphic card, only updated daz studio and driver.

and daz can announce the compatibility with graphic card, if daz know whati is the true user service.

is there any discribe about compatibility with ATI graphic card ?

Now I become angry about this problem, so I decide my all anger throw to AMD support :vampire:

I haven't had a chance to see if rolling back resolves the issue with the ATI drivers. I mentioned the other software only as a reference that this is not a DS issue specifically, but one that affects many.

Probably the best thing to do right now would be to search on the terms referenced before and see if anyone has a known workaround. Maybe a previous driver version, or a hotfix, or a registry setting.

Kendall

edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    DavidGB said:
    Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn't rocket science. Just basic, for heaven's sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don't just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it's kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don't suppose I'll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I've got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

Good thing i don't use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

Crazed. I got the same problem. It appears to be an issue with the Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe that was installed with the 4.5.0 release. Windows reports "...is not a valid Win32 application" when trying to run it directly.

After attempting to run the 4.5.1.6 installer, DAZ studio no longer even appears in the Control Panel list of installed programs (registry now screwed up?). Not possible to uninstall using any standard method that I can see. This is so pathetic and also so typical of DAZ. Before trying anything else, would be useful to find out what others have successfully done to get this to work.

I've installed 4.5.1.6 on numerous machines: XP/32, XP/64, Vista/32, Vista/64, Win7/32,Win7/64,MacOS and Linux/Wine. No problems. Start the investigation on a Windows problem on your machine. It is likely that you have something interfering with the process.

Kendall

I have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years. Very rarely had any issue with an installer. However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system.

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now. At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem.

In over 30 years of developing software, one of the things that I know from experience is that just because it works on system A and not on system B, does not automatically mean that root cause lies with system B. It means that the software process better be robust enough to determine exactly what the root cause is when reported. Too often, wishful thinking combined with "...well, it works on my machine so the problem must be with yours..." will result in defects getting overlooked.

As you can see above, I have installed the 4.5.1.6 on many different machines, running different OS's and having differing hardware. This is not a System A vs System B issue. I have over a dozen installs here, on various hardware. I also have environments DESIGNED to cause problems with software. In my 30+ years of software development I have experienced that the Windows environment (or ecosystem if you so prefer) is the most common reason for software failures. Especially when the issues affect a small subset of installs. And this issue affects a *small* subset of systems.

Some have determined that if they manually perform the actions, things proceed to completion. This points directly at something within the environment interfering with the process. Secondarily, the installer being used is a commercial offering used in a huge number of installs globally. DAZ has little control over the failure recovery processes in an installer such as this. Maybe they should follow Adobe's lead and require that ALL firewall/malware programs be disengaged before installation.

Kendall

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    DavidGB said:

AGAIN.

I've installed 4.5.1.6 on numerous machines: XP/32, XP/64, Vista/32, Vista/64, Win7/32,Win7/64,MacOS and Linux/Wine. No problems. Start the investigation on a Windows problem on your machine. It is likely that you have something interfering with the process.

Kendall

I have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years. Very rarely had any issue with an installer. However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system.

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now. At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem.

In over 30 years of developing software, one of the things that I know from experience is that just because it works on system A and not on system B, does not automatically mean that root cause lies with system B. It means that the software process better be robust enough to determine exactly what the root cause is when reported. Too often, wishful thinking combined with "...well, it works on my machine so the problem must be with yours..." will result in defects getting overlooked.

As you can see above, I have installed the 4.5.1.6 on many different machines, running different OS's and having differing hardware. This is not a System A vs System B issue. I have over a dozen installs here, on various hardware. I also have environments DESIGNED to cause problems with software. In my 30+ years of software development I have experienced that the Windows environment (or ecosystem if you so prefer) is the most common reason for software failures. Especially when the issues affect a small subset of installs. And this issue affects a *small* subset of systems.

Some have determined that if they manually perform the actions, things proceed to completion. This points directly at something within the environment interfering with the process. Secondarily, the installer being used is a commercial offering used in a huge number of installs globally. DAZ has little control over the failure recovery processes in an installer such as this. Maybe they should follow Adobe's lead and require that ALL firewall/malware programs be disengaged before installation.

Kendall

I don't buy this for a second. I have provided you with plenty of information that clearly points to a problem with the DAZ installer(s). Myself and others mentioned that the manual adjustment was to remove the DAZ uninstaller before running the install. Just so you know, I not only disabled all firewall/malware programs, but I also tried bringing down any process not necessary to the system running.

I also do not buy the argument about Windows being the cause of software failures. Rather, it is application developers that do not understand how to develop for Windows that is typically the problem. Since 3.1 there have been many, many applications that run just fine under Windows primarily because the developers of these applications know what they are doing. Of course there are system variances (especially with Windows) and a well-developed application will be tested for and will account for the vast majority of these.

We will see how small the subset is when people start installing this software on a large scale. This reminds me of the problem that many of us had with converting .daz to .duf and deformations in Genesis characters. This was originally reported during the beta. But there were those who claimed it worked fine on their system, therefore, it was likely a problem with individual system(s). I notice this problem is now fixed in the new version of DS4.5

edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    artistb3 said:
    DavidGB said:

AGAIN.

Kendall

Kendall

I don't buy this for a second. I have provided you with plenty of information that clearly points to a problem with the DAZ installer(s). Myself and others mentioned that the manual adjustment was to remove the DAZ uninstaller before running the install. Just so you know, I not only disabled all firewall/malware programs, but I also tried bringing down any process not necessary to the system running.

I also do not buy the argument about Windows being the cause of software failures. Rather, it is application developers that do not understand how to develop for Windows that is typically the problem. Since 3.1 there have been many, many applications that run just fine under Windows primarily because the developers of these applications know what they are doing. Of course there are system variances (especially with Windows) and a well-developed application will be tested for and will account for the vast majority of these.

We will see how small the subset is when people start installing this software on a large scale. This reminds me of the problem that many of us had with converting .daz to .duf and deformations in Genesis characters. This was originally reported during the beta. But there were those who claimed it worked fine on their system, therefore, it was likely a problem with individual system(s). I notice this problem is now fixed in the new version of DS4.5

You mis-read what I stated, see the bolded text. I said the Windows ENVIRONMENT. A clean, well maintained Windows environment works fine -- as I have demonstrated above. Most Windows Environments are not even close to clean, nor well maintained. Most are riddled with user created errors, misinstalled software, unsuccessful malware removals, misbehaving drivers, and so called "malicious software monitors" that try to compensate for a missing security system.

Obviously our experiences are different.

Kendall

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I am having major problems with this version. autofit is not working anymore it seems.

The viewport is NOT matching the renders. My viewport controls keep disappearing and i canclick on where they are supposed to be and it works but they're invisible.

I change the render settings to be a square, I want a square frame in teh view port so i can set up my scene in that square. NOTHING IS HAPPENING. I can't use this version, its too buggy. Is there a link to the older one I can use???

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Well as I have render problems with the current version i think I will stay put. I don't need to get more problems.

• KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

Kendall

As mentioned in another thread, I'm considering loading Ubuntu or one of the similar distributions of Linux on a machine here. I don't recall if WINE is part of them but I think it's not. How much of an issue would it be to load onto one of those distros?
    edited October 2012

Kludge said:

Kendall

As mentioned in another thread, I'm considering loading Ubuntu or one of the similar distributions of Linux on a machine here. I don't recall if WINE is part of them but I think it's not. How much of an issue would it be to load onto one of those distros?

Ubuntu is a debian based distro, so it uses a package manager. Wine install is relatively painless. Similarly, Fedora is a RPM distro and also uses a package manager. Wine install in Fedora is also painless.

Make sure that you load the Wine i686 packages, not the x86_64. The 64bit support in Wine is starting to work, however, it is not ready for general use. The Wine/32 (i686) support is pretty much flawless for DS and Poser.

EDIT: All of this is for the non-developer packages.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am having major problems with this version. autofit is not working anymore it seems.

The viewport is NOT matching the renders. My viewport controls keep disappearing and i canclick on where they are supposed to be and it works but they're invisible.

I change the render settings to be a square, I want a square frame in teh view port so i can set up my scene in that square. NOTHING IS HAPPENING. I can't use this version, its too buggy. Is there a link to the older one I can use???

What OS? What video card?

edited December 1969

For what it is worth...

This version is significantly faster in most respects than the previous 4.5rc which was significantly faster than 4.0. The lagginess in reading large runtimes for the first time in the Content Library tab has been lessened (but not eliminated).

The smoothing and collision code seems to complete faster and work more completely. An outfit from 9mbi that has always given problems until Collision Level 10, now works at level 5. This significantly speeds up redraws.

Autofit "fits" incoming clothing much faster and does a better job. I haven't autofitted shoes.

Plugins (including some betas) all work with no problem.

Kendall

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

OK, I just reset my downloads and grabbed the 32-bit and 64-bit of the new version.

Question -- Do I need to re-download the 3D Photoshop Bridge, the GoZ Bridge, Decimator and the Starter Essentials again? Anyone know if those have had updates as well?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    OK, I just reset my downloads and grabbed the 32-bit and 64-bit of the new version.

Question -- Do I need to re-download the 3D Photoshop Bridge, the GoZ Bridge, Decimator and the Starter Essentials again? Anyone know if those have had updates as well?

They haven't changed since 4.5.0.114, so if you previously had that or 4.5.0.137 you don't need those.

• KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

Ubuntu is a Debian based distro, so it uses a package manager. Wine install is relatively painless. Similarly, Fedora is a RPM distro and also uses a package manager. Wine install in Fedora is also painless.
    Nifty! Thanks. Aside from pars of MS Office, virtually everything I have falls into one of two categories, multimedia and engineering (mechanical & electrical) & ham radio which kind of fits under EE. I can't quite port over everything that doesn't have a Linux equivalent but it's close enough to start looking seriously at leaving Windows. It would be cool if my laptop (500 MHz P3 with a whole 384 MB RAM) cold be convinced one of the Ubuntu or similar distros would be good for it but thus far it's no joy. OTOH, with an 800x600 screen, they're not so very good for DS or Poser anyway.
    Make sure that you load the Wine i686 packages, not the x86_64. The 64bit support in Wine is starting to work, however, it is not ready for general use. The Wine/32 (i686) support is pretty much flawless for DS and Poser.

Since the machines I have are all 32 bit, this is not a worry. I checked the WINE site and it looks like 1.4 is the latest stable version.
    EDIT: All of this is for the non-developer packages.
    About all I'm developing is renders. Well those and continued plots to take over the universe. :-)
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

They haven't changed since 4.5.0.114, so if you previously had that or 4.5.0.137 you don't need those.
    Thanks Mike. I didn't think so, but glad for the clarification to be sure.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Haven't tried to install yet. Is it recommended that I uninstall my current version (DS 4.5.0.114) before running the installer?

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Haven't tried to install yet. Is it recommended that I uninstall my current version (DS 4.5.0.114) before running the installer?

The installer should ask you to uninstall the last build before it installs.

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

First, let me apologize right off the bat if this has been posted anywhere and dealt with. If so, please give me the link to the fix.

Okay, as I was installing this new upgrade 4.5.1.6 = I began getting errors - I clicked ignore because after the second attempt and getting the sames errors, I wanted to write them down. I did go on with the install, but I haven't gone any further - I stopped to make this post.

Errors:

icudt30.dll
    icuin30_x64.dll
    icuuc30_x64.dll
    vkernel_release_x64.dll
    vshared_release_x64.dll

Please, if anyone knows - why did I get the above errors and will Daz Studio function normally after installing while getting the above errors? What malfunctions will the errors cause within the program? Should I just reinstall the previous and wait a while before moving ahead?

• earth2dearth2d Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Removed: Wrong Thread :roll:

Post edited by earth2d on
    edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    First, let me apologize right off the bat if this has been posted anywhere and dealt with. If so, please give me the link to the fix.

Okay, as I was installing this new upgrade 4.5.1.6 = I began getting errors - I clicked ignore because after the second attempt and getting the sames errors, I wanted to write them down. I did go on with the install, but I haven't gone any further - I stopped to make this post.

Errors:

icudt30.dll
    icuin30_x64.dll
    icuuc30_x64.dll
    vkernel_release_x64.dll
    vshared_release_x64.dll

Please, if anyone knows - why did I get the above errors and will Daz Studio function normally after installing while getting the above errors? What malfunctions will the errors cause within the program? Should I just reinstall the previous and wait a while before moving ahead?

These are related to the valentinadb used in the CMS. We need to know the actual error(s) that you are getting before we can tell you what is going on.

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I posted about this on earlier pages. Since about 2 or 3 updates ago (including betas) I started to have issues like many here. I uninstall CMS, Daz Studio and all plug-ins (if they have been updated) first then I reinstall. Since doing that the process is smooth and content all working.

Up to that point I always let the installer uninstall the old version/s

• Orphanslayer69Orphanslayer69 Posts: 96
    edited October 2012

Oh sweet, a new update. Maybe that whole exploding characters thing has been fixed!

Oh wait... no it hasn't. My old characters blow up, my new characters blow up. My render looks like a bomb went off in it.

Boom.JPG
    682 x 844 - 227K
    Post edited by Orphanslayer69 on
    edited December 1969

Hard for me to make beautiful pictures with this mess.

ouch.JPG
    944 x 938 - 112K
    edited October 2012

Here we have two characters. The one the I blurred is saved under the old format. I'm lucky to have her but can't do much with her. If I save this scene and then reload it a day or so later she would blow up too.

The messed up looking one is the same character with just a change of clothes and then saved under the new format.

two.JPG
    764 x 842 - 276K
    edited December 1969

@Szark: thanks, I'll try that!

@Orphanslayer69: the last time I experienced that problem (an earlier version of DS4.5), the fix was to save the scene with the exploded figures and then open it again. Not sure if that remains true, but it's probably worth a shot.

edited October 2012

Thanks. I'll give it a shot right now!

.... welp, I revisited three diffrent renders I had given up on and did what you said, and it seemed to solve the problem.

Scott, you are the wind beneath my wings.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I posted about this on earlier pages. Since about 2 or 3 updates ago (including betas) I started to have issues like many here. I uninstall CMS, Daz Studio and all plug-ins (if they have been updated) first then I reinstall. Since doing that the process is smooth and content all working.

Up to that point I always let the installer uninstall the old version/s
    I followed Szark's instructions above and had no problems. :) Thanks, Szark.

And you're welcome, Orphanslayer69! Glad it worked, and happy to help!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I was going to wish you luck but I didn't want to jinx it. :)