Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Stunning!! Any chance of throwing in a couple of clothed G3 figures and a horse or 2 and render in Iray and post the time it takes

Sorry, but not for a little while. (I don't have any g3 figures installed) and I haven't even started on Iray shaders yet. The second image in the original post was Iray and took about 30 minutes to render that - but I'm on Mac - a nice Mac with 2 pretty good video cards that just happen to be ATI so no GPU Iray rendering for me.

No problem Howie, was just curious on performance with actual assets in it also. Looking for more info in the future, keep up the great work!

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252

This looks so beautiful. I am still rendering with 3DLight and would love to have such landscapes. I will buy this for sure.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Instant buy!! Any chance the 3delight version can be released soonly? And the iRay later?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

Much better than using PW Catch to get your stuff into DS. LOL. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    I use both 3dl and Iray. Though with a scene like that, I suspect a realistic 3dl render will end up taking about the same time as Iray...
  • 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

Would Iray take longer if it had to use the CPU though?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

AWWW crap, here I'm trying not to buy stuff ................so much for that plan .........

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    edited June 2016

Thanks for kind comments.

Close to completing the scene - the terrain is repurposed from Country Lane Autumnia. Now to start on Iray shaders...

harpwood_trail_test.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 308K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

Thanks for converting this. I have several of your Carrara products, but I seldom use Carrara. I think I can find more use with these. (I also want the lake converted)

Love the road image, I can see lots of scenarios with it. I really hope this isn't to resource intensive as these will serve as backgrounds for actual scenes in my workflow, so any optimizing you can do would be very appreciated.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

Thanks for kind comments.

Close to completing the scene - the terrain is repurposed from Country Lane Autumnia. Now to start on Iray shaders...

Howie,

The lighing in this scene is quite stunning.  Can you include some lighting and camera presets in the product? 

Cheers,

Alex.

• BryseyBrysey Posts: 72

Great news and looking really good, but having bought many of the Carrara sets I expect that it'll be a case of rebuying for Studio? No chance if we already have the assets that it'll be an 'economic' upgrade to supply the Studio version aspects to make the existing elements work i.e. material settings, instancing, Iray config etc. May have to start saving or consider which organ I can comfortably live without...  wink

I got some extra padding I can sell ...that would be so worth it!!

carrie58 said:

The person who can figure out how to exchange excess BMI for 3D content will become popular. I can see it now...

"darling do you really need to eat that -whole- other pizza?"

"yes, I'm saving up for Urban Sprawl 3"

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

That leaves those of us with no extra padding with some tough decisions.....

carrie58 said:

The person who can figure out how to exchange excess BMI for 3D content will become popular. I can see it now...

"darling do you really need to eat that -whole- other pizza?"

winklaughlaugh

• BryseyBrysey Posts: 72
    edited June 2016

HowieFarkes said:

Howie, this could really be a before and after scenario, Harpwood Conty before the developers get there and turn it into Urban Sprawl 3... and who needs Bitcoin when you've got BMIcoin - I'm a rich man !  wink

Post edited by Brysey on

Hmm, I'm thinking there may be no Iray version of these landscapes. It simply can't handle the numbers of instances - 3Delight sails through with less than 2Gb memory usage when rendering - Iray zooms to 20Gb and Studio crashes lol

I don't know with all the shaders coming out ,you could just do the 3Delight, and people who want Iray, could just do it themselves with shaders...........can you tell I only use 3Delightsurprise

• No iray version would be a disappointment. Any idea why this is happening? 

Hmm, I'm thinking there may be no Iray version of these landscapes. It simply can't handle the numbers of instances - 3Delight sails through with less than 2Gb memory usage when rendering - Iray zooms to 20Gb and Studio crashes lol

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    Sure you are instancing and not duplicating?
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225

Have been lurking and will get this when it comes out, whatever version it is blush

And Country Lane Atumnia looks like a photograph! surpriseyes

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited June 2016

I have created hundred's of instances of plant objects for some iRay renders, and the increase in memory usage was minimal, so it is surprising to hear that iRay can not handle it.

Post edited by Havos on
  • JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 797

Time to try some basic iray tests? Really want to see this in iray for an immediate cart purchase!

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 569

Yeah, this is exactly what I would consider an immediate purchase, but without iray...I would have to reconsider. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Is it using separate and huge texturemaps by chance? 

edited June 2016

No iray version would be a disappointment. Any idea why this is happening?

Well I had a good sleep and woke up thinking that I must have missed something simple.

I've looked a bit deeper into it and found the "Instancing Optimization" render option. I had it set to "Speed" instead of "Memory" and this means all the geometry is "flattened" at render time so instead of holding each object in memory only once it holds the geometry of each and every instance - which would equal many, many billions of polys in this scene.

So one little render setting is the difference between "Yeah I'll happily render that" and "I'll steal all the memories until Studio dies".

The following render I stopped after after 10 minutes, but it shows Iray will work... phew. Haven't done anything much other than straight "select shaders -> convert to uber iray" so not indicative of final product. DS memory usuage was only 1.89GB during the render.

TL:DR Set Instance Optimization to "Memory"... winning.

Iray-test2.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 1017K
    Post edited by HowieFarkes on

WOOHOO! I was worried there for a second, LOL Looks very nice, I am picturing quite a few scene scenarios along that road

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 569

Very happy to hear this!

Brysey said:

Great news and looking really good, but having bought many of the Carrara sets I expect that it'll be a case of rebuying for Studio? No chance if we already have the assets that it'll be an 'economic' upgrade to supply the Studio version aspects to make the existing elements work i.e. material settings, instancing, Iray config etc. May have to start saving or consider which organ I can comfortably live without...  wink

In this scene - only the base mesh for the terrain and the two ferns and grass have been carried over mostly unchanged from any Carrara products. Everything else is pretty much new for Daz Studio or extensively updated. The trees and shrubs for instance were modelled in X-Frog 3.5 and not the Carrara tree modeller.