Poser + Genesis DSON Importer module not found

DakkarDakkar Posts: 6

Hi!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, here... installed the Genesis to Poser importer package (Great idea, by the way!); go to my DAZ People folder, click on the Genesis entry, and get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:\Runtime Backup 8-4-2011\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
import dson.dzdsonimporter
ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I have the same issue.

• edited October 2012

so do I

"Can`t open Script for Reading (PEPythonEngine;DoScript (j)"

I use both Poser 6 and Poser 8

Post edited by mejed37_bd6022a3d8 on
  • DanaC78DanaC78 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I took a look at the Genesis.py and it is nothing more than an Import. In Python, this is basically a procedural call. It is saying "Load this module and run it". However, the way it is written is not that flexible. It only states the modules rather than the location of the module.

The problem is: Since at least Poser 7 (I think), there has been multiple configurations you can put Poser into. You can use a Shared Directory, C:\Program Files, and a few others that I do not recall off the top of my head. However, the installers are assuming you chose C:\program files. If you have it setup with Shared Direction, this is not going to find those files. If Poser is looking at Shared Directories as Root, but the files were installed into C:\Program Files..the files according to Poser are missing.

If I recall right, the Shared directory in Windows Vista/7 should be: C:\Users\Public\Shared Documents\Smith Micro\Poser 2012\Runtime\Python . I cannot test it on this system since I do not have poser installed, but that is how in the past I fixed issues similar to this.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

It clearly states in the info It is for Poser9/Poser2012 only. I'm sorry but that was clear to me on the About page mejed.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited October 2012

mejed said:
    so do I

"Can`t open Script for Reading (PEPythonEngine;DoScript (j)"

I use both Poser 6 and Poser 8

The Description specifically states it requires Poser 2012 or Poser 9. Python in those later programs is different than in the earlier versions.

“Can`t open Script for Reading (PEPythonEngine;DoScript (j)”

While this is a parse error, it is not the same issue being experienced by Dakkar. It is trying to read a Script that is written for Poser 9 / Poser 2012 version of Poser Python. What is occurring with Dakkar and the other posters is that Poser cannot FIND the dsonimporter.py file. Two completely different parse issues.:)

Post edited by DanaC78 on
    edited December 1969

I have Poser Pro 2012 and still have the issue. Does the About page say "Poser must be installed to default directory only?"

• TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited October 2012

Add me to the list of people for whom it is not working...

I have both PP2012 and Poser 9 installed and same issue on both despite installing the correct X64 and X32 packages to the respective Poser installations which are both SR3

Schirmfoto_2012-10-12_103256.jpg
    800 x 611 - 93K
    Post edited by Tastiger on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The doc's say SR3 is needed for your version as well. If that helps any.

edited December 1969

I have Poser Pro 2012 and still have the issue. Does the About page say "Poser must be installed to default directory only?"

Just my opinion, I think there was an assumption that a majority of the downloaders would have the configuration setup to have the Runtime. However, keep in mind that I said Runtime and not installed location. You can load Poser into C:\ProgramFiles and the default Runtime can be elsewhere. Dakkar tried the solution I suggested and it did not help.

edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    Add me to the list of people for whom it is not working...

I have both PP2012 and Poser 9 installed and same issue on both despite installing the correct X64 and X32 packages to the respective Poser installations which are both SR3

Question..where is your Scripts (the one in the Script menu) Stored. That is considered the Default Runtime for your installation.

edited October 2012

DanaC78 said:

Just my opinion, I think there was an assumption that a majority of the downloaders would have the configuration setup to have the Runtime. However, keep in mind that I said Runtime and not installed location. You can load Poser into C:\ProgramFiles and the default Runtime can be elsewhere. Dakkar tried the solution I suggested and it did not help.

Not a safe assumption at all. Many users do not install things to the default directory in Windows Vista or 7 in order to avoid permissions/UAC issues and other irritating problems. I think DAZ knows better than this - there's never been a single problem with my non-default DAZ and Poser installations before.

I'm thinking it may be an SR3 issue per Jaderail's suggestion, since my work machine is not normally connected to the internet. I'm downloading it to install just in case it's not already there. I will report if it works!

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • JMCarriganJMCarrigan Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

I am unable to add the importer to my cart to receive it. Help.

edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Not a safe assumption at all. Many users do not install things to the default directory in Windows Vista or 7 in order to avoid permissions/UAC issues and other irritating problems. I think DAZ knows better than this - there's never been a single problem with my non-default DAZ and Poser installations before.

I'm thinking it may be an SR3 issue per Jaderail's suggestion, since my work machine is not normally connected to the internet. I'm downloading it to install just in case it's not already there. I will report if it works!

Dakkar put SR3 in and reinstalled..now working. I am not sure EXACTLY what they changed (not on my computer that has Poser on it), but the file format makes a difference. I was looking in the folder and saw dson.blahblahblah was referring to addon/dson etc. Definately something different.

• DakkarDakkar Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Ok... feel like an idiot.

Installed SR 3. It works just fine. Yes, SR 3 issue.

Thank you!

edited December 1969

Umm..this is a different issue all together. However, exactly WHAT error are you getting?

edited December 1969

And does anyone know how I might see what service pack is installed. Not as newbie as I sound, just memory problems.

edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Umm..this is a different issue all together. However, exactly WHAT error are you getting?

Oh! A line appears in red that says only one is allowed. The cart says none are in it.

edited December 1969

Help>About. Or you could just click on Edit, go to Preference and click on Check for Update.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Oh! A line appears in red that says only one is allowed. The cart says none are in it.

Add something else to the cart, then both should appear and you can remove the extra item.

edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

I had that problem because I had the nerve to add it to my cart and then try to sign in manual. Easy fix. In the Browser of your choice, clear your cookies. In Firefox, this is FireFox>Options>Advanced>Network>Clear Offline Web And User Data. The store is seeing that you have one in storage. Once it is clear, it sees nothing.:)

edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Add something else to the cart, then both should appear and you can remove the extra item.

This works too.:)

edited December 1969

Updated to SR3. Now the DSON starter essentials Genesis loads, but it's invisible and has no materials. O.o

edited December 1969

Thanks! I'll do as suggested! Woo Hoo!

edited December 1969

Try reinstalling. That what Dakkar did and it seemed to help.

edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Reinstalling starter pack did not fix it.

• TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Reinstall of service pack 3 did the trick............

Go figure?

edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    Reinstall of service pack 3 did the trick............

Go figure?

Hate it when SR do not work right the first time.:)

edited December 1969

SR3 for POSER! For some reason I was looking for it for DazStudio 4.5 D'oh!

• Fred Winkler ArtFred Winkler Art Posts: 795
    edited December 1969

DanaC78 said:

Got the same issue, nothing shows up. it says that Genesis is loaded... but nothing is showing at all. Re-installed it, also reinstalled SR3 again, just in case and just for good messures re-installed it again one last time... yet still nothing... really odd.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

FWArt said:
    DanaC78 said:

Got the same issue, nothing shows up. it says that Genesis is loaded... but nothing is showing at all. Re-installed it, also reinstalled SR3 again, just in case and just for good messures re-installed it again one last time... yet still nothing... really odd.

Where did you install the GSE Core and GSE Poser Companion Files?