Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Yes, it is TRUE! - DAZ 3D innovates again.

Working closely with Smith Micro, DAZ 3D has created a way for Poser users to seamlessly install and load the most popular Genesis figures such as Victoria 5 and Michael 5 into Poser. Poser users can now install, load, and interact with Genesis figures very much like any other native Poser models. Now Poser users can enjoy the benefits of the award-winning Genesis Figure Platform.

DAZ Introduces the DAZ Scene Object Notation (DSON) Importer for Poser. DSON is a new file format (introduced in DAZ Studio 4.5) developed by DAZ 3D that enables the transport of scene and figure information between applications.

DAZ has converted the most popular Genesis products (with many more to come) to DSON compatible file formats. The DSON Importer for Poser reads the new file formats and loads the Genesis Models directly into Poser. No runtime conversion is necessary. Once the DSON Importer for Poser is installed, users can install and load DSON compatible products into Poser with no additional steps.

To find DSON compatible figures and products look for the DSON Importer for Poser Notation or Visit this category.

Visit the DAZ Documentation Center to learn more about the DSON Importer for Poser

DSON Importer for Poser FAQ

Q: What is DSON?
A: DAZ Scene Object Notation – DSON is a new file format definition (introduced in DAZ Studio 4.5) from DAZ 3D designed to enable scene and content compatibility between 3D software applications.

Q: How do I get the DSON Importer for Poser?
A: Click Here Now to get it FREE for a limited time.

Q: Are all Genesis based products compatible with Poser?
A: No. Genesis products must be created in or converted to DSON Importer compatible file formats. DAZ 3D has already converted dozens of its most popular products into DSON Importer compatible file formats and many more are coming soon. In addition, DAZ Published Artists are currently creating new products in DSON file formats that will also be available soon.
Shop this category of DSON compatible Products

Q: Do I need DAZ Studio?
A: No. The DSON importer for Poser works completely separately and distinctly from DAZ Studio. The DSON Importer for Poser is a Poser add-on that installs to Poser.

Q: Are ALL Genesis features supported in Poser?
A: No. Some Genesis features such as collision detection and smoothing are dependent upon and function only in DAZ Studio.

Q: When I buy a DSON compatible product for Poser do I have to get DAZ Studio files too?
A: DSON compatible products include the user files common to both DAZ Studio and Poser. In addition, “companion” files are included that Poser uses to correctly load the content.

Q: If I’ve created my own content in DAZ Studio 4.5 can I make it ready for use in Poser?
A: Yes, an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6 and can be found in the options menu of Content Library pane. Simply right-click on “Content Library” and choose “Create Poser Companion Files…”

Q: Where can I learn more about the DSON Importer for Poser?
A: Visit the DAZ Documentation Center to learn more about the DSON Importer for Poser

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Remember to download the new Genesis Starter Essentials files that include companion and core files. These are needed to run with this tool.

• edited October 2012

Yay! It's finally here!

And I'm at work right now, so I'll have to check it out later...

BTW, I really liked the DSON Importer documentation. Who ever wrote that should do more (A lot more...)

Post edited by AndYourLittleDogToo on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Good to hear. I am sure this will make people happy.

• beckywlmsbeckywlms Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It would be nice if this worked in Poser 7 ,8 and 2010 as well

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

Yay! It's finally here!

And I'm at work right now, so I'll have to check it out later...

This is long overdue and highly welcome! (But why did it have to come out now that I'm about to go overseas for two weeks... sigh.)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited October 2012

beckywlms said:
    It would be nice if this worked in Poser 7 ,8 and 2010 as well

Those version don't have weightmapping capabities, you'll have to upgrade.

Edit: Also those don't have the plugin interface SM opened up in SR3.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited October 2012

Those of us who've bought a bunch of Genesis content, on the hopes that a day like this would come, do we have to reset our downloads and redownload everything?

Also I don't see gorilla in the list of DSON comapatable figures, or the products from the Battle Ready bundle for Genesis, Leigon, Praetorian, Percy, and Heracles all for Genesis of course.

Will these be updated in a timely fashion?

edit to add: Forgot to ask, can we install our genesis based content in a directory other than the default Poser runtime?

Post edited by griffon_e3f1dc9370 on
  • namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I just got this. IN my downloads I have a WHOLE bunch of items. They seem to be duplicates...

I'm not sure if there is any difference. They seem to have the same names...

DSONMUltiples.JPG
    538 x 716 - 75K
    edited December 1969

namrettek said:
    I just got this. IN my downloads I have a WHOLE bunch of items. They seem to be duplicates...

I'm not sure if there is any difference. They seem to have the same names...

Note the 2nd line, they note a Mac or PC version. Also the different files do have different names. Look close.

• Amethyst RoseAmethyst Rose Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

I tried to add it to my cart but it didn't work. I got the message that it had been added to my cart but it isn't there. I actually don't have Poser right now. I had Poser 8 but my hard drive crashed and took Poser 8 with it, but apparantly this wouldn't have worked with it anyway. Maybe my hubby will be nice and get me Poser 9 for Christmas, especially now that Genesis will work with it. :-)

edited December 1969

Sunfire said:
    Those of us who've bought a bunch of Genesis content, on the hopes that a day like this would come, do we have to reset our downloads and redownload everything?

Also I don't see gorilla in the list of DSON comapatable figures, or the products from the Battle Ready bundle for Genesis, Leigon, Praetorian, Percy, and Heracles all for Genesis of course.

edit to add: Forgot to ask, can we install our genesis based content in a directory other than the default Poser runtime?

You will need to get the latest Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6, and the other Genesis content will be updated as it can be. You'll need to re-download/reset your files as they are updated. We plan to update the genesis content as we can.

• DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Sunfire said:

Yes... please many of them have been updated with the Poser companion files. Others will be coming soon.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

Should DAZ Studio users update to the new 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe? Or is that only for Poser users?

edited December 1969

I tried to add it to my cart but it didn't work. I got the message that it had been added to my cart but it isn't there. I actually don't have Poser right now. I had Poser 8 but my hard drive crashed and took Poser 8 with it, but apparantly this wouldn't have worked with it anyway. Maybe my hubby will be nice and get me Poser 9 for Christmas, especially now that Genesis will work with it. :-)

Refresh your page. I had the same problem. It's a cache issue with the browser. Give it a try.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Should DAZ Studio users update to the new 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe? Or is that only for Poser users?

You can update the starter essentials is you want. But it will still work with the latest DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 that is now available to update in your downloads.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Just an FYI - We have updated metadata, so you will have that advantage in the newest version as well. :)

edited December 1969

When I try to download them ( the "extras" I am refering to) - a window comes up asking if I want to replace files...

It looks like for Win 64 version I need these 3 files - is that correct?

14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe
    14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe
    DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64.exe

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited December 1969

I'm genuinely pleased.
    A new olive branch from Daz3D to Poser users, and its not eleven pages of complaints.

edited December 1969

Refresh your page. I had the same problem. It's a cache issue with the browser. Give it a try.

I tried hitting the refresh button and even deleted cookies, but it still won't work. I tried adding it to my cart again and it gives me the message that the maximum limit is one.

edited December 1969

namrettek said:
    When I try to download them ( the "extras" I am refering to) - a window comes up asking if I want to replace files...

Yes that is right!

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited October 2012

namrettek said:

Those 3 files are correct, yes. The first is for DS, the 2nd and 3rd for Poser. :)

DSON Importer Documentation

Post edited by Katherine on
  • digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited October 2012

This is so great! I installed the Importer and the Essentials..and I restarted Poser but I do not see how to import items into Poser? How does it work? I chose to look at the readme file after the installation of importer but a Daz Documentation Center PAGE NOT FOUND error came up..so I cannot read how to use it. Anyone know where there are instructions for using this? Thanks in advance! :)

Post edited by digitell on
    edited December 1969

I tried hitting the refresh button and even deleted cookies, but it still won't work. I tried adding it to my cart again and it gives me the message that the maximum limit is one.

OK one more thing to try...add another item to your cart, then add the new DSON Importer, then remove the other product. Give it a try...

• LaschaeLaschae Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Do Genesis products need to be installed into my main Poser Runtime? I only have a 120gb SSD for my main drive and I dunno t hat I wanna clog it up with extra stuff....

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2012

Congrats on this and thanks for doing it !

Extra kudos for having several Daz employees in the thread answering questions.

I do wish there was an easier option than finding and re-downloading all of our Genesis content to get the new updates - is that a possibility?

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited October 2012

Wow, if this works as advertised, this will be huge!! I use both poser and DS and have enjoyed genesis in DS4 (with reality and luxrender) for quite some time. I rarely open poser 2012 lately as I love working with genesis. Now all I need if the new reality to poser plugin when released.

Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

digitell said:
    This is so great! I installed the Importer and the Essentials..and I restarted Poser but I do not see how to import items into Poser? How does it work? I chose to look at the readme file after the installation of importer but a Daz Documentation Center PAGE NOT FOUND error came up..so I cannot read how to use it. Anyone know where there are instructions for using this? Thanks in advance! :)

The Readme links to it. Here it is, so you don't have to go looking for it though. :) http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/start

edited December 1969

namrettek said:

Yes that is right!

Great thanks!

It's time for bed here, so I can't try it tonight.

But I have downloaded it.

edited December 1969

OK one more thing to try...add another item to your cart, then add the new DSON Importer, then remove the other product. Give it a try...

Yay, that worked! Thanks for your help! :-)

edited December 1969

namrettek said:

Those 3 files are correct, yes. The first is for DS, the 2nd and 3rd for Poser. :)

DSON Documentation

Good to know. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.