FREE Portrait Backgrounds Collection ~ Post Them Here!

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I did a few more different gradients using the RedYellowCracks.jpg that I posted above as the base.  I used different gradients and I had to change some of the colors on the cracks themselves so the colors stood out and didn't get washed out.  There are two green ones and the difference is very subtle, but there is a difference.  The first was an accident as I had a double layer showing on one of the cracks layers when I exported from GIMP. I fixed that in the second green one, but I couldn't figure out which I liked better so you get both!

BlueGradientCracks.jpg
    719 x 809 - 253K
    FlameGradientCracks.jpg
    719 x 809 - 443K
    GreenGradientCracks01.jpg
    719 x 809 - 270K
    GreenGradientCracks02.jpg
    719 x 809 - 257K
    PurpleGradientCracks.jpg
    719 x 809 - 238K
    RedGradientCracks.jpg
    719 x 809 - 408K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Very nice, love the variety!!!

I found some really nice balloon brushes on DeviantArt by superlibbie and thought I'd make a few kid friendly backgrounds while I was at it since there are a lot of us using Zev0's Growing Up Morphs for creating kids.  I think I really like the ones with the balloons going up just one side the best and I might make some more in different primary colors tomorrow.  The good thing is that I'm really learning how to use my pallettes, gradients and brushes in GIMP.

Balloons01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 169K
    Balloons02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 115K
    Balloons03.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 87K
    Balloons04.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 81K
    Balloons05.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 69K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Thanks for looking Novica, the Blues you posted are very nice.

I found some really nice balloon brushes on DeviantArt by superlibbie and thought I'd make a few kid friendly backgrounds while I was at it since there are a lot of us using Zev0's Growing Up Morphs for creating kids.  I think I really like the ones with the balloons going up just one side the best and I might make some more in different primary colors tomorrow.  The good thing is that I'm really learning how to use my pallettes, gradients and brushes in GIMP.

Knittingmommy, those balloon backgrounds are amazing, the purple one with balloons up the side is my favorite.

Kharma said:

Knittingmommy, those balloon backgrounds are amazing, the purple one with balloons up the side is my favorite.

Yeah, I kind of like how that one turned out myself!  Thanks.  My render is still going so I'll be in GIMP today again making some more kid friendly backgrounds I thought of last night after I shut GIMP down.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

@Kharma - This is about as close to sparkly as I could manage.  I'll keep working on it.

Let me know you you would like other color schemes.

glitter1.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 3M
    edited June 2016

Okay, since I was in a kid friendly mode, I made some Blackboard type backgrounds perfect for those school portraits in both a 'clean' and 'dirty' version.  I did these at 1500 x 1000 just because chalkboards are usually landscaped.  Let me know if anyone wants to see anything more specific with anything I make.  I'm open to suggestions.  I can't guarantee I'll know how to do what you want, but I'm willing to try.  I've included blank chalkboards in both clean and dirty versions if anyone wants to use them as a starting point for their own backgrounds or to use as is.  Free for commercial use, no credit needed.

BlankBlackChalkboardClean.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 153K
    BlankBlackChalkboardDirty.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 195K
    BlackChalkboard01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 323K
    BlackChalkboard02.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 340K
    BlackChalkboard03.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 217K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    edited June 2016

Set 2 for the Black Chalkboards...

BlackChalkboard04.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 221K
    BlackChalkboard05.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 356K
    BlackChalkboard06.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 345K
    BlackChalkboard07.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 180K
    BlackChalkboard08.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 182K
    edited June 2016

Green Chalkboards set 1...

BlankGreenChalkboardClean.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 153K
    BlankGreenChalkboardDirty.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 187K
    GreenChalkboard01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 367K
    GreenChalkboard02.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 371K
    GreenChalkboard03.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 214K
    edited June 2016

Green Chalkboards set 2...

GreenChalkboard04.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 219K
    GreenChalkboard05.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 394K
    GreenChalkboard06.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 397K
    GreenChalkboard07.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 186K
    GreenChalkboard08.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 188K
    dHandle said:

@Kharma - This is about as close to sparkly as I could manage.  I'll keep working on it.

Oh that is wonderful, love it and my fave color !   Which program did you do that in?

@Knittingmommy, the chalkboards are fabulous...too cute!

Kharma said:
    dHandle said:

Oh that is wonderful, love it and my fave color !   Which program did you do that in?

@Knittingmommy, the chalkboards are fabulous...too cute!

I used Photoshop CC.  I looked up...um..."Photoshop Glittery (or Sparkly...I forget)  Background Tutorials" on Youtube, and just followed along.

Here's the link.

(It was sparkly...)

smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0PUwjA5DA

Very nice Knittingmommy and dHandle! The sparkly does look sparkly!

So, I made a slight goof with my chalkboards and accidentally used a texture in there that I shouldn't have.  It was a real easy fix and I uploaded the new chalkboards, but if anyone happened to download the previous version, please kindly delete those and download the new set in that same post up above.  I accidentally used a texture on the chalkboard that wasn't approved for commercial use and I don't want to get anyone in trouble because of my error.  The new files are up and the corrected files are definitely appropriate for commercial use.  The upside is that the clean version of the chalkboards are a little bit cleaner than the old versions.  I'm so sorry about the error.  It does show that it pays to always double check where you get textures that you may use in creating things that you are allowing others to use, especially if you are giving permission for them to be used in commercial projects.

edited June 2016

I was in GIMP again playing with brushes and learning all sorts of things.  I liked how these stars turned out.  I hope someone can use them.

GoldStarsGoldBackground.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 292K
    GoldStarsIncandescentBackground.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 477K
    SilverStarsBlueBackground.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 270K

And some splattered backgrounds.  The differences are sublte with these.  I like the intense ones slightly better, but the slightly muted ones might be better depending on the look you want.

GreenSplatters.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 370K
    GreenSplattersIntense.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 423K
    MutedGreenSplatters.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 374K
    FlourescentGreenSplatters.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 365K

And a few more splatters...

BlueSplatters.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 445K
    BlueSplattersIntense.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 507K
    RedSplatters.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 311K
    RedSplattersIntense.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 357K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

These are fantastic! Thank you!! :D

This was posted recently in the Freebies forum by Renderguy.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/88801/renderguyny-s-freebies#latest

110 free abstract backgrounds.

http://www.renderguyny.com/Abstract_Backgrounds.zip 

We are going to have to render like mad to use even a fraction of these!

smiley

Last batch for awhile, maybe.  I was playing with some lights and shadows and trying to figure out they work with the different layers.

LeavesShadows.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 136K
    LeavesShadows02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 179K
    LeavesShadows03.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 151K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited June 2016

I just wanted to say thanks to Novica for the fantastic thread!! This is huge for non-artist Photoshop Neanderthals like me blush

I also wanted to thank Knittingmommy, one of your backgrounds rotated 90 degrees was just perfect for this render!!

(Sorry for just posting a link to the render, but I didn't want to mess up this great thread with my render)

Post edited by DustRider on
    DustRider said:

I just wanted to say thanks to Novica for the fantastic thread!! This is huge for non-artist Photoshop Neanderthals like me blush

I also wanted to thank Knittingmommy, one of your backgrounds rotated 90 degrees was just perfect for this render!!

(Sorry for just posting a link to the render, but I didn't want to mess up this great thread with my render)

Oh, wow!  Thanks for letting me know.  I really like that render!  

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

this should be stickied for constant resource

thx novica

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    DustRider said:

Thanks, and sorry. I just realized I forgot to credit you in my gallery post. I just fixed it so you get credit for your great background!

DustRider said:
    DustRider said:

Thanks, and sorry. I just realized I forgot to credit you in my gallery post. I just fixed it so you get credit for your great background!

Well, thank you.  That was very nice, but not required.  Always appreciated, though.  :)

dHandle said:

I'd like to see one in an olive/drab green, one in a brown, one in a blue (if you have time.) I'd like to get "collections" going. Thanks so much for participating and for the sparklies- it really does look sparkly!

DustRider and Ruphuss- you're very welcome. Thank you to everyone who chips in and helps. I can't possibly cover all the varieties (I'm trying to work on my book so I can only do this a little bit at a time.) 

edited June 2016

FILL 6 With Smoked Glass

Well, by a happy accident, I did some slatted bars. Makes me mad though, the gradient boxes keep disappearing today after I save or export, so I can't ever duplicate them and just switch out colors. Worked fine a few days ago. Oh well, you get a variety. 

I've got Fill 6 done (yes, there are Fill 4 and Fill 5, the order doesn't really matter, I started playing with this one and really REALLY like the results so going ahead and posting them for you today.)  Here's what it is, in Corel Photo Paint:

Did the gradient fills. First is Fill 6, use it to do other effects on top of it. (or any of these. You'll see what cool effects you can by layering. Next I'll add linen.)

Then did Smoked Glass 25, then next one 50, then 65. The higher the number, the more "fog" there is to soften the background. ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A GRAPHICS PROGRAM EVER WANTS ME TO SMOKE GLASS A BACKGROUND YOU HAVE, LET ME KNOW. This was with white. 

Showing you the 65, the most subtle.

fill6.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 178K
    fill6.25.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 192K
    fill6.50.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 158K
    fill6.65.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 141K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

Fill 6 With Smoked Glass and Linen

Took the above (Fill 6, Smoked Glass) and added Linen. 42 then 62, then 82, then 100

Wait till you see what it looks like when I add Elephant Skin on top of it. Very ELEgant! (Couldn't resist.) 

Showing you the 42, the darkest one, and 100, the lightest. CLICK TO ENLARGE. These are 300, Originals 1000 x 1000.

fill6Lin42.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1001K
    fill6Lin62.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    fill6Lin82.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    fill6Lin100.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:
    dHandle said:

I'd like to see one in an olive/drab green, one in a brown, one in a blue (if you have time.) I'd like to get "collections" going. Thanks so much for participating and for the sparklies- it really does look sparkly!

DustRider and Ruphuss- you're very welcome. Thank you to everyone who chips in and helps. I can't possibly cover all the varieties (I'm trying to work on my book so I can only do this a little bit at a time.) 

I've been trying to do some worthy of contributing, it gives me an opportunity to learn more about PSPX8  which I  just upgraded to and also moved up from Ps CS2 to Ps CS6