Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
edited July 2016 in The Commons

So I've been tucked away in my den, getting to know Daz Studio instancing so I can bring my landscapes to Studio. Here are some early experiments.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Wow! I bought a few of your carrara scenes back in the day but they choked the life out of my old PC, so I never got to use them, but I have a new rig now and looking forward to this! HDRIs are nice, but I like actual mesh in the scenes

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662

Cool! Looking forward to it.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Have lots of your Carrara stuff And love It we Need more For Carrara.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Finally! A meadow to frolic in and chase butterflies!

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 589
    edited June 2016

I've always loved the look of your landscapes and I'm so pleased you're bringing one to DS, though I do hope we'll see more :-)

Post edited by lorraineopua on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Looking great :)

• Looks great, can't wait!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

Oh I would liove to be able to use some of your landscapes in Studio. The Harpwood County series is one of the lovelier sets of lanscapes in the store.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited June 2016

Well if anyone can figure out how to get a Howie scene into Studio,, it's probably Howie  :)  Tango Alpha seems to have made great strides in taking a fairly big/complex Carrara nature scene and squeezing it into Studio (see Hemlock Folly as an example) but if I'm honest I like the Carrara version more.

On the other hand, while Studio isn't for me, I've always felt a little sorrry for Studio users who have had to miss out on all those wonderful Howie scenes, so sounds like it will be good news for them  :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

That is astonishly realistic looking grass. I will await further developments with interest.

Cheers,

Alex.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

These are beautiful sets can't wait to get one for Daz

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Please, please.. not iray only!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Jonstark said:

Well if anyone can figure out how to get a Howie scene into Studio,, it's probably Howie  :)  Tango Alpha seems to have made great strides in taking a fairly big/complex Carrara nature scene and squeezing it into Studio (see Hemlock Folly as an example) but if I'm honest I like the Carrara version more.

On the other hand, while Studio isn't for me, I've always felt a little sorrry for Studio users who have had to miss out on all those wonderful Howie scenes, so sounds like it will be good news for them  :)

The Carrara level of complexity will come to Hemlock Folly and Jackson's Field in an update at some point. laugh (I've been playing with a beta of Howie's tech, and it is truly gob smacking!) But this is not the thread to talk about that. I'll announce in my thread when I have something to announce.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Wow! I bought a few of your carrara scenes back in the day but they choked the life out of my old PC, so I never got to use them, but I have a new rig now and looking forward to this! HDRIs are nice, but I like actual mesh in the scenes

I like mesh landscape details for 'near' portions of the scene.  I like lower rez mesh for 'medium' distance details, and billboarded groups of details for the 'far' distance details.  Each 'group' of details (i.e., each copse of trees, or pile of rock, etc.) should have the option to switch between the three (near, medium, far) so you can keep the scene from being too heavy a load for rendering.

I can see how some scripts could be done to do this (for a given environment, not in general....that'd be a nightmare) and allow DS to select a given camera, then calculate the distances from it to each of the various scenery details, and switching them to simpler or billboarded replacements based on the distance.  Would make good scenery less memory capacity and compute intensive.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850

I will do back flips with ecstasy if Maple Meadows comes to Daz Studio! Are you planning the entire Harpwood series or just selections? Adding another plea for 3DL materials -- that's the only renderer I use, and it would make me buy...uh...pretty much anything you do in a flash.

--MW

hphoenix said:

I like mesh landscape details for 'near' portions of the scene.  I like lower rez mesh for 'medium' distance details, and billboarded groups of details for the 'far' distance details.  Each 'group' of details (i.e., each copse of trees, or pile of rock, etc.) should have the option to switch between the three (near, medium, far) so you can keep the scene from being too heavy a load for rendering.

I can see how some scripts could be done to do this (for a given environment, not in general....that'd be a nightmare) and allow DS to select a given camera, then calculate the distances from it to each of the various scenery details, and switching them to simpler or billboarded replacements based on the distance.  Would make good scenery less memory capacity and compute intensive.

It's called LOD, or level of detail. Many video games used to implement it, but not so much these days with the newer hardware that is avaliable. Basically you have each level of model density combined into one, with the engine programmed to display each model at a certain distance. I wouldn't think it would be needed for DS unless all you do is animation, but I also wouldn't think it would be hard to code either if they were to add it. I would think you would get the same performance benefits or more with instancing

It's really a pain to model though, especially when you have to model reduced detail versions of your final model for each LOD. I just finished a game addon with over 110 objects I had to model LODs for, what a pain.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    hacsart said:

Definitely will be for both 3dl and Iray. In fact the top picture of the forest is 3dl.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

I think I love you!

hacsart said:

Definitely will be for both 3dl and Iray. In fact the top picture of the forest is 3dl.

edited June 2016

Another 3Delight render - forest with grass. 30 minute render on my Mac Pro @ 1280x900

grassy_forest_test.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 415K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

We do need a 'like' button! What are you using for sky?

What are you using for sky?

It's a skydome I made for Harpsburg for Studio. Sky was rendered out of Carrara with a spherical camera and mapped onto a half-dome.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

nice :)

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    hacsart said:

* does the happy dance *

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757

This looks great!! And really glad you are using instancing.

Another 3Delight render - forest with grass. 30 minute render on my Mac Pro @ 1280x900

Stunning!! Any chance of throwing in a couple of clothed G3 figures and a horse or 2 and render in Iray and post the time it takes

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Cartwheels!

Metaphorical, of course, far too old and knackered suave and sophisticated for those nowadays.

Delighted to see Studio going to Harpwood. If there's some degree of kitbashability, every set is a guaranteed purchase by me. Looks like I'll be getting another TitanX (or successor) after all.

Stunning!! Any chance of throwing in a couple of clothed G3 figures and a horse or 2 and render in Iray and post the time it takes

Sorry, but not for a little while. (I don't have any g3 figures installed) and I haven't even started on Iray shaders yet. The second image in the original post was Iray and took about 30 minutes to render that - but I'm on Mac - a nice Mac with 2 pretty good video cards that just happen to be ATI so no GPU Iray rendering for me.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,532

Very cool

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

If that's what it looks like in 3delight, Iray will be amazing! Magic Howie! Real glad there are 3delight materials.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

I have most of you stuff for Carrara, it's fantastic. Looks Like I'll be getting the DS versions too.