Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tgrace said:

Hi :)

Very nice - what did you use to get the sketchiness if you don't mind me asking ?

It was the Akvis Sketch photoshop plugin. 

That's been on my list of things to consider for a LONG time. How's it working for you? You obviously got some good results from it. Was this a single pass, or a composit of multiple renders and sketch settings?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

I've been really drilling into Iray and realism with new shader I've been working on. It was nice to switch gears for a change and do this one>

Mr Turtle Toon.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574
    edited June 2016

I've been really drilling into Iray and realism with new shader I've been working on. It was nice to switch gears for a change and do this one>

I have absolutely no need for this guy, but he's so cool, every time I see him I find myself wanting to buy him!

Just went and looked him up again - here's the url for those interested:

http://www.daz3d.com/mr-turtle-and-the-conspicuous-interloper

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
    edited June 2016

I have a fondness for anthro figures of wildly varied types.

I have a bunch in my wishlist and wait for one of them to go on sale. So far I've collected aLOT... waiting for a good anthro rabbit, but I have rat, various reptiles, minotaurs, ravens, apes, frogs, and more.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302

Just stumbled over this thread because of the thread in the Commons. Makes me kind of depressive, because I've tried to accomplish the results algovincian achieve with postwork since some years. No luck.

I don't think I rendered a picture in the last six month because I was trying to postwork a render into something which looks like anythng algovincian has shown in his threads, something not looking like 3D but hand-drawn. Incredible. Impossible for me.

Reading all his NPR-threads for the last hours, I understand, that's not possible to release an all-included-software version of his workflow, but what about a paid-for-tutorial or even a book - because it's not DAZ specific-, which describes the workflow in detail (and contains the software he wrote and has the copyright). He could be the Jeremy Birn for NPR as Birn was for pre_PRB-renders.

I've tried to give as much information as possible about the main concepts that I've employed. I realize that the information is not a step-by-step how-to guide, and is particularly light on details when it comes to the fractal algorithms that govern the strokes. However, this is a good thing - not a bad thing. I've been able to get to this point precisely because I did not use existing methods and approaches. It's been a long, evolutionary process for me (over 2 decades now) and I encourage everybody to embark on their own journey . . . who knows what you can accomplish!

As far as writing a book goes, that's probably not in the cards given some of the discussions I've entered into regarding the technology. I'm not sure I have the time to do so at this point anyway. I've been happy to document my work (to a certain extent) up to this point, but many would say that I've revealed too much already. I strongly believe in the sharing of information for everyone's benefit and to further the field, and I feel like I've done so.

- Greg

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302

I've tried to give as much information as possible about the main concepts that I've employed.

And that's very appreciated. Thank you for the hints.

(The tutorial/book was just an idea how to overcome possible software restrictions copyright-wise.)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Photoshop experiment with one of my favorite characters, Alesia

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

very nice, that is

-ms

The hair looks really nice, Diva - especially the color variation. Skin tones, too.

- Greg

edited June 2016

After working on Iray shaders for a while, in the mood for some PWToon experiments...

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/ApeNSnake1-614470816

Two hour render. Gulp.

(Need a new computer -- Iray renders compete a lot with 3DL simply because my graphics card is WAY better than my base machine)

Post edited by Oso3D on

The hair looks really nice, Diva - especially the color variation. Skin tones, too.

- Greg

Thanks, Greg. It still looks very "filtered", I'd love to be able to do what you do. Your stuff looks totally hand drawn and amazing! :D

After working on Iray shaders for a while, in the mood for some PWToon experiments...

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/ApeNSnake1-614470816

Two hour render. Gulp.

(Need a new computer -- Iray renders compete a lot with 3DL simply because my graphics card is WAY better than my base machine)

That turned out cool, Will! 

Tried to clamp it down to a more lineart style...

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/ApeNSnake2BW4-614587248

My one frustration with PWToon is that it could REALLY use a global scaling option. Having to tweak all the outline widths if I decide to render at a larger size is tedious.

What do you guys think?

PWToon vs. Toonycam style. There are things I like about PWToon style, but ToonyCam, when it's working, runs smooth, clean, and fast. Easier to set up (at least while it works)

ApeNSnake City BattleB2.png
    3495 x 2160 - 4M
    City Battle TCtst.png
    1747 x 1080 - 731K

What do you guys think?

PWToon vs. Toonycam style. There are things I like about PWToon style, but ToonyCam, when it's working, runs smooth, clean, and fast. Easier to set up (at least while it works)

I like how clean the lines are in both images, and particularly how fine some of the lines are in the first.

- Greg

I've been really liking working with Tony cam, but it's missing some of those fine details. http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/City-BattleF1-614887389 Another try with TonyCam, this time with multiple passes to get some shading and details. It's not the fine lines of PWToon, but I think I like the effect. One thing I should try is seeing if I can use PWToon and TonyCam together, or maybe do a 'fine lines' pass.
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited June 2016

no postwork here

just rons glass plates

scotlynglass 16.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    scotlynglass 15.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on

Did a fairly realistic lion render in 3DL... which bored me. So decided to play with some filters to get something more engaging.

Lion alerta.png
    1080 x 1080 - 602K
  • SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    I've been really liking working with Tony cam, but it's missing some of those fine details. http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/City-BattleF1-614887389 Another try with TonyCam, this time with multiple passes to get some shading and details. It's not the fine lines of PWToon, but I think I like the effect. One thing I should try is seeing if I can use PWToon and TonyCam together, or maybe do a 'fine lines' pass.

I have tried Toony cam myself and fall on this same problem with details, like you said. When I started using Manga Style SHaders however, I was able to keep certain details "in the shadow" by adding texture in the colour (use black and white images).

Still working/experimenting on shaders, and slowly getting there!

MCV Loader concept.png
    1250 x 1000 - 592K
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited July 2017

Good to see this thread still going strong.  Keep the great NPR images coming.

Here are a few more...

TatsuFinal001.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 127K
    Final001.jpg
    840 x 640 - 241K
    r_Composite03sm.jpg
    806 x 1000 - 223K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited July 2017

Found a few more...

(forum compression is horrible on some images)

MotokoNPR001.jpg
    544 x 646 - 51K
    ToonPinUp_Final.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 232K
    KenpoIllustration.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 86K
    MA_Sketch001.jpg
    657 x 1000 - 203K
    MA_Sketch001.jpg
    657 x 1000 - 203K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572

What do you guys think?

That's a nice side-by-side comparison. Is it the same lighting setup in both?

I think so, but the TonyCam settings mostly blanked out effective shadows.
  • LyamLyam Posts: 137

Here's something done with a Photoshop action that I thought gave a decent tracing effect.

helmet.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 540K
    BWSketch.png
    800 x 1036 - 352K
    BWSketchColor.png
    800 x 1036 - 783K
    Sample1.jpg
    800 x 1036 - 687K
    edited June 2016

Those look really great, Lyam.  Aesthetically, those images are beautiful, and I love the composition in both images.  The action converts only suffer from an aisling issue.  You could smooth them out almost losslessly (as opposed to a Gaussian Blur) with a PS plugin by Redfield called Perfectum.  I use it all the time on NPR that I create through post-processing that yields aisling instead of anti-aisling results.

You can try it here:  http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterPerfectum.htm

Regarding the action you used, is it a custom action created by yourself, a purchasable action, or a downloadable freebie?  Please, share info about this action if available.

One last question relating to the first image.  Is that a custom creation by yourself, or did you purchase that armor somewhere?  Perhaps, kit-bashing?

Would love to see more of your work displayed in this thread.  Keep them coming...

• LyamLyam Posts: 137
    edited June 2016
    DaremoK3 said:
    Regarding the action you used, is it a custom action created by yourself, a purchasable action, or a downloadable freebie?  Please, share info about this action if available.

One last question relating to the first image.  Is that a custom creation by yourself, or did you purchase that armor somewhere?  Perhaps, kit-bashing?

Would love to see more of your work displayed in this thread.  Keep them coming...

Hello,

The Photoshop Action is GraphicRiver's Vector Sketch Action.  The item number is 12451157.  I did use some simple level adjustments to make for personal preferences to the images posted. 

The armor is just this one:  http://www.daz3d.com/noctem

Cheers.

Contest-of-Champions---Wonder-Woman-vs-Hulk65.jpg
    937 x 1159 - 292K
    Post edited by Lyam on

Thank you, Lyam.

This new one is excellent as well.  Love the effect that the render lighting gives to the image, and the lines aliasing looks smoother.

Hi, I just stumbled on this thread and I've been doing comic style art for a while now, but all in post in Photoshop. I'm also working on a comic book concept but now actually thinking of doing it realistically with Iray... Can't decide which way to go! I'm trying to recreate my main characters that were V4 into G3's... I already have a few pages done that were more comic book looking, but I was thinking of using those as flashbacks. I've been doing the more stylized comic books style art for years, trying to make my renders look LESS realistic and am now finally experimenting with realism! At a recent comic book convention where I was selling my art, I asked a bunch of people if they would accept a realistic looking comic and they all said yes, but comic book publishers are against it, saying there's an "Uncanny Valley," (google it LOL.) Anyway, I'm still on the fence and interested to hear about new shaders and rendering techniques because I'm getting kind of burned out on my usual techniques... I did just purchase 2 toon shaders that I'm looking forward to trying out to see if they'll fit with my concept...

Hey Alicia -

Your latest hi-key brexit images are fantastic! Did you use Colm's Hi-Key Studio Iray? (link for those interested)

http://www.daz3d.com/hi-key-studio-iray

I noticed that you are still producing NPR-ish images, too (Jungle Girl and Goth Fairy). I'm also interested in what is commercially viable as far as 3D renders go. Which way did you end up leaning for your comic? Looks like you're still straddling that fence - hope it's not gettin too uncomfy ;)

- Greg

This discussion has been closed.