Why is it so hard to connect two vertices with an edge in hexagon?

lamoid_5f20d3e469lamoid_5f20d3e469 Posts: 283
edited May 2016 in Hexagon Discussion

This seems like it ought to be the most elementary task possible in a mesh modeler:  Select a vertex on a mesh.  Select another vertex on the mesh.  Connect the two vertices with an edge. Nothing I try works.  In keeping with the tradition and spirit of Daz3D's approach to documentation, the documentation for hexagon is either completely wrong or wrongly incomplete.

For example, the hexagon manual says, "

I am about crazy with frustration trying to learn how to use this program.  And yes, I am R-ing The F M (which is, AFAICT 10 years out of date.) And I am searching the web with google. And I am searching the DAZ forums and reading the many pages it spews that have absolutely nothing to do with hexagon or the problem I am trying to solve.  Would someone who knows how to do this please tell me?  

Thank you.

Post edited by lamoid_5f20d3e469 on

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

I looks like you're trying to model using the line tools. I don't think you can.

The line tools are useful when building swept surfaces with the tools under the surface modeling tab, or when using the extrude tools.

You need to have filled polygons before most of the other tools will function.

• Thank you for your reply, De3an.  I believe you are right. 

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited May 2016

This is largely because you can end up with non manifold geometry, which I won't explain, but it simply isn't desired.  That and you can get some weird intersections.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited June 2016

This seems like it ought to be the most elementary task possible in a mesh modeler:  Select a vertex on a mesh.  Select another vertex on the mesh.  Connect the two vertices with an edge. Nothing I try works.  In keeping with the tradition and spirit of Daz3D's approach to documentation, the documentation for hexagon is either completely wrong or wrongly incomplete.

Lines aren't properly a "mesh." :) (They're "Edges") Also, you can only connnect vertices within one object - You can't connect vertices between two separate objects. And, I don't think you can weld lines together, either, to yield one "object." So... yeah, it's because of "reasons" and this is the only logical progression of reasons I can think of, given the existing ruleset.

You can, however, extrude faces from those lines, creating a true, 3D object, and then weld those two separate objects into one object, from which you can start connecting verts however you wish.

Update: You can weld vertices of two independent polylines together to form one object. (See Roygee's post, below.) But, I was unsucessful in a test with dynamic spline-curves and it resulted in collapsing their dynamics. But, you could weld them together from that point, since they're no longer dynamic, I suppose.

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

And, I don't think you can weld lines together, either, to yield one "object."

You can - the two points to be welded have to occupy the exact same coordinates.  You do this by copy/paste the coordinates of one point to another.  With both lines selected and in object mode, hit "weld" and they'll become one.

Lines without facets are splines and you can really do a lot with them in Hex - one of it's strong points. 

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    Roygee said:

And, I don't think you can weld lines together, either, to yield one "object."

You can - the two points to be welded have to occupy the exact same coordinates.  You do this by copy/paste the coordinates of one point to another.  With both lines selected and in object mode, hit "weld" and they'll become one.

Lines without facets are splines and you can really do a lot with them in Hex - one of it's strong points. 

Info checks out! Welded two lines using the above.

Where were you when users were screaming about this all those years ago? :D I couldn't weld any dynamic splines together, though. It simply collapsed their dynamics. Makes sense, I suppose, considering how they're formed. But, polylines are fine to weld using this method! I remember trying to do just that, years ago, during a project. But, I wasn't copy/pasting the values, simply constraining the verts to one of, what I thought to be, one set of coordinates. (IIRC)

I love splines and like using them. I do agree that's one of Hex's strongest features and they're really invaluable in some operations. It's one of the many reasons I wish Hex was still being a developed IP. :(

Thanks! Now, I'm off to spline me some stuffs... ;)

(If possible, will edit my post to reflect your correction.)

• pmingpming Posts: 44

Hiya!

I didnt' see anyone mention this, so...

Why are you trying to do this? If you want to create a triangle polygon there, just use the "Facet" (I think that's what it's called) tool. It snaps to points and you just click around the points you want and hit enter. In Lightwave you'd select (clockwise, or counterclockwise, but in order) a bunch of points, then hit "P" to turn it into a polygon. In Softimage use the Add Edges/Polygons tool and click on point to another, to another, to another, etc. 

Hexagon...smame thing. As far as I know, virtualy no 3D programs actually have "edges". What you are seeing as an "edge" is actually just a designation for an area between to vertexes so that the graphics engine can actually render a polygon. Some programs do have 'edges'...but they are likely just specialized polygons (Lightwave has this, I think...). Anyway, the point is, you aren't creating an "edge" so much as defining a polygon. So use the tool to do that...the "Facet" tool, IIRC (I don't have Hexagon installed right now).